Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Whetstone

Charles,

You really did me in.  I went to Daniels website last night and then could not stop reading about Kansas Ghost Towns. I am a little tired today.

Really fascinating stuff. Reading about Union Center in Elk County.  I believe in the 6th book about Kansas Ghost Towns.  Mentioned a man by the name of Blizzard.  The Perkins (Bill and Susie, my in-laws) have a pasture that we call "the Blizzard". I would love to know more about the history and how land changed hands through the years.  It's just a name today. But it reminds you of the many generations that came to Kansas in the early years and tried to make a go of it. And that the name on that pasture has some real history.

David

W. Gray

Diane, go to Google Map or Acme Map and type in "Cave Springs, KS."

L. D. Blizzard had a son who was supposedly the only person to die in Elk County (actually northern Howard County) at the hands of the Osage. He was on the receiving end of a poisoned arrow. There are a number of Blizzards in Grace Lawn cemetery.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

Diane, Allen's Drug Store was on the west side of the street ( now Wabash Avenue)  Earl and Alice Allen were the owners and Earl was the pharmacist. They lived above the store in an apartment.  I worked for them in 1947 and 1948.  John Batson bought the store from Mr. Allen ( as I always called him), then bought the corner that now has Batson's Drug and Prairie  Market, now owned by Julie and Patrick Perkins.  The old location of the drug store is now occupied by Traci's Trends.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

Thanks Jo,

Looking out the upstairs windows on the east side of Wabash, I always wondered who lived upstairs on the west side.

I also did not realize that John Batson bought Allen's.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Quote from: Jo McDonald on August 20, 2009, 11:16:43 AM
Diane, Allen's Drug Store was on the west side of the street ( now Wabash Avenue)  Earl and Alice Allen were the owners and Earl was the pharmacist. They lived above the store in an apartment.  I worked for them in 1947 and 1948.  John Batson bought the store from Mr. Allen ( as I always called him), then bought the corner that now has Batson's Drug and Prairie  Market, now owned by Julie and Patrick Perkins.  The old location of the drug store is now occupied by Traci's Trends.
Jo, didn't the Allen's live above the Cafe instead of the Drugstore, there was a Stairs up the back and front just North of the cafe.

Jo McDonald

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

flintauqua

Ms Bear

ddurbin

New Quest.   It's 1904 and I've just helped Uncle John, Aunt Anne and their son Alfred move into their new home.  I've decided to follow John B. L. Soule's advice, so courtesy of atsf I've just entered Elk County.  Where am I?  Remember to provide longitude and latitude.

W. Gray

John B. Soule's advice was to "Go West Young Man." Apparently Horace Greeley said it fifteen years later.

(BTW are folks aware of Greeley County in western Kansas named after Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune? Tribune, population 835, is the county seat and the only other town in the entire county is Horace, population 143. Both are on K-96.)

If Uncle John and family were coming west on the ATS&F from Fredonia via Buxton, their first arrival in Elk County would be in a caboose on a freight train at Upola, at 37.41585 95.99939. There was no passenger train that ran through Upola.

If Uncle John and family were coming west on the ATS&F passenger train from Elk City via Independence, their first arrival in Elk County would be Oak Valley, at 37.34341 96.00952.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk