Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Correct Dale.

Would you like to explain the land surveying quirk that allows this to be done?

Dee Gee

It is because the world is round.  All sections of the world is smaller on the side that is closer the the north/south poles therefore the is a correct line thrown in to bring the section back to a full mile every six miles you go to the  north or south.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

flintauqua

I'm in a reviving mood of late.  Hope the Moderator will bear with me!  ;D

The aerial/satellite imaging of Elk County has taken a turn for the better of late.  Sometime last fall, the Google (and other) images of the area were updated, and apparently with a higher level of resolution.  That, plus the effects of the drought on the vegetation, has allowed me to see marks on the land that I have not seen in previous images. 

So, I have some new targets for interested geography detectives.

The best way to get a latitude and longitude for the targets is to view the images at:

http://mapper.acme.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First target is a single word containing three syllables spelled out in nine letters of rock, each approximately 8-10 foot tall.  Where in Elk County Am I?

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Janet Harrington

For the life of me, I can't figure out what it is you want us to look for. Something spelled out in rock with nine letters in Elk County and it is a single word. I have no clue. Help me, please.

flintauqua

I was waiting for the first victim (:angel:) so that I could post another clue or two to narrow it down a bit.

Similar to the G on the side of the hill west of Grenola that was a target in the original run of this game, except this is an entire word spelled out in rocks, on a hillside.  

It is the name of a place that does show on some topographical maps of the county, but it is not a town, nor has it ever been a town or even had a post office.  

And it is somewhere in Commissioner District 3 (Kenny Liebau) which is Union Center, Greenfield, and Wildcat Townships.

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

flintauqua

BTW - Here is a snip showing one the original targets in this game (in 2009), the Grenola "G" (circled in red) in relationship to Grenola, the railroad, and the highway.

flintauqua

A non-Forum member just called and correctly identified this feature.  He is fairly certain that it existed forty years ago, but does not know exactly how long it may have been there prior to the early '70s.

As has been done in the past, we will play on since it is just the first day on this target.  I'll wait until at least Sunday to reveal, unless someone else answers correctly and publicly.

While I'm here, I give another clue.  I'm in the area that originally comprised school districts 13, 21, 20, 60, and 31.

Wilma

OK, in 1935

Dist. 13 was Clear Creek
Dist. 21 was Greenfield
Dist. 20 was Dinger
Dist. 60 was East Caney
Dist. 31 was, I couldn't find it,

Districts 21, 20 and 60 are in Greenfield Township, north of Grenola.
District 13 was in Longton Township, there was another Clear Creek Dist. 1 in Union Center Township.

This doesn't help me any, but it might someone else.

flintauqua

Oops, my bad!  ::)

Upon closer examination of the 1880's map I pulled those numbers from, it is not District 13, but actually district 43, which would be Oak Grove in Greenfield Township.  I never have found a name for District 31, but it shows up on said map in the SW part of Union Center Township.

Thank you Wilma for catching the mistake, and for contibuting to the game.

Charlie

flintauqua

Had another correct answer, privately, so we play on.

Laying across soil formed from either the Hamlin or West Branch Shale, I'm comprised of rocks from the nearby Five Point Limestone and/or members of the Foraker Limestone Group that cap the hill above me.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/Geology/Elk/gifs/plate1.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk