Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Yes,

What year did he start teaching?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

From a post by Janet

"The first school taught in this section was in a log hut on a farm, on the east side of Paw Paw about two milles north of Howard.  The teacher was a young man named Frank Hobbs.  This was a subscription school and was in the winter of 1869-70.  The following were the pupils who attended this school:  Sherley Greenwood, Belle Greenwood, Ed Chirpolled, Jennie Wilder, Nancy Wilder, Geo. Wilder, Jennie Cooper, Geo. Yokum, Ella Yokum, Frank Mahurin, Sarah Mahurin, Emma Hobbs, Alfred and Ed Glidden, Nancy Cole, Leta and Mark McBee.

A year or two later young Hobbs died and was buried on his father's claim, 3 miles north of Howard. The grave is marked by a tombstone and iron fence around it, and the lone monument attract the attention of travelers on the Howard-Severy road."

W. Gray

Here is some more:

The school children of Elk County donated money in 1932 to build a fence around Frank Hobb's grave.

Frank Hobbs was actually the second school teacher in Elk County.

According to the Elk County history book, the first school was on Indian Creek in the northeast in 1866. That would make sense because that is the area that first started settling.

The teacher's name is unknown for that first school according to the book.

Frank Hobbs taught at the second school during 1869-70 again according to the book. It would appear that Hobbs is the "first known" teacher.

However, on another page the Elk County history says that Frank Hobbs started teaching in 1866 north of what is now Howard. That is probably an error.

At any rate, if he started teaching in 1866, that would have been Seward County.

If he started teaching in 1869, that would have been Howard County.

In either case, one can extrapolate those dates to Elk County, which came along in 1875.

Cutler's History of the State of Kansas says the first school in Elk County was taught at Howard City in 1873.

At any rate, "Kansas was the first state in the West and third in the nation to establish kindergarten training. The first public school kindergarten was at Howard, 1906." Per The Annals of Kansas, 1886-1925, Volume I.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

According to the information I have, the first school in the Indian Creek community (northeast Elk County) was taught by Sallie McQuilkin in 1871 in a private home on the A.B. Nix place just west of where Rule school was later built. 

flintauqua

Next Target!

I, a Middle Woodlander, built my hearth here during the Archaic period.  I and many others used this site to manufacture items out of quarried stone.  4500 years later my hearth was unearthed during construction of a big dam. 

Where, in present Elk County, was I?

ddurbin

N37.35460    ???

flintauqua

Maybe  ???

ddurbin

Okay,  I'll just give them half the coordinates and let them go from there.

jensarlou

flintauqua

Andrea,

ddurbin's N 37.35460 is correct.  This one is not something obvious or out of the ordinary on the maps (other than a dam).  It might require a little historical sleuthing.

Charles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk