MARS.

Started by Judy Harder, August 09, 2009, 12:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Too bad Diane, I would miss the stars and the Milky Way.  I wonder how many folks here really take a look at what they have overhead for free most nights? The view of the comet a few years back ( sorry cannot reacall its' name) was outstanding. We used to lay on a sandbar along the Arkansas river when I was a kid and watch the stars. It does seem to me that the Milky Way was more distinct then, perhaps the skyshine is catching up even here.
Edie

dnalexander

Quote from: sixdogsmom on August 12, 2009, 07:55:33 PM
Too bad Diane, I would miss the stars and the Milky Way.  I wonder how many folks here really take a look at what they have overhead for free most nights? The view of the comet a few years back ( sorry cannot reacall its' name) was outstanding. We used to lay on a sandbar along the Arkansas river when I was a kid and watch the stars. It does seem to me that the Milky Way was more distinct then, perhaps the skyshine is catching up even here.

Comet Holmes? which was a very bright comet in 2007.
Comet McNaught also 2007.
David

I'm am just guessing at names. I don't know much about comets.

sixdogsmom

Nope, the comet wasn't any of those. It was in the mid to late nineties and this was its' only visit to our solar system. Very distinct, more so than Khouetec or Haleys'. I will do a little digging and see if I can find it. BTW, I was very disappointed in Haleys, it was a little cloudy that night though. I knew a lady that had seen it when she was a little girl, they did a writeup in the paper on her, and she was a special guest on the group bus that went to the observatory when Haleys was here the last visit.
Edie

sixdogsmom

Now, that didn't take long; it was Hale-Bopp. My little friend Tonia thought it was funny that it was so close to Baby-Bopp. We took her out to the lake so she could see it clearly. Here it rose in the northwest and set in the northeast. Bright enough that it could be seen in the Wichita skies, but totally awesome here.
Edie

sixdogsmom

Diane, I think it is spelled both ways and pronounced many others. LOL!
Edie

W. Gray

And, recall that Mark Twain was born when Halley's was overhead.

And he died when it was again overhead.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

What do you think of Halley Quentin as a name for a child?  My Uncle H. Q. always hated it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk