When Elk County Began

Started by W. Gray, August 09, 2009, 11:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Quote from: W. Gray on August 10, 2009, 11:15:18 AM
Now, if we could just find where Big Foot ranged in Elk County.

I'll see what I can do. In the meantime here is the current report on Kansas bigfoot sightings.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=ks

http://home.clara.net/rfthomas/cb/1978.html

http://www.gcbro.com/KSdb1.htm

David

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

From what I remember there was a big flap about bigfoot in the late 1970s. There quite a few sightings around southcentral Kansas and northern Oklahoma. We used to visit my sister in Afton, Oklahoma and always kidded each other about seeing a 'Bigfoot', but never did see one.
Edie

flintauqua

Quote from: W. Gray on August 10, 2009, 09:00:59 AM
The geography department at Kansas State University classifies fourteen counties as in southeast Kansas. In addition to those mentioned are Greenwood, Elk, Chautauqua, Cowley, and Butler.

I'd like to add some observations about what part of Kansas Elk County lies in, as this came up a lot when I was Economic Development Director.

When dealing with state and Federal agencies, such as USDA Rural Development, the Economic Development Agency, the Small Business Administration, and the Kansas Department of Commerce; Montgomery, Wilson and Woodson are nearly always in SE Kansas, and Cowley and Butler are nearly always in SC Kansas.  The three counties that would be bounced around by agency, within the same agency, or from year to year being Chautauqua, Elk And Greenwood. 

It made it very difficult when you would deal with the USDA RD office in Iola for one program, but then be refered to USDA RD in Newton for another program.  Same thing would occur with the Kansas Dept of Commerce.  Travel and Tourism division kept bouncing us between SE and SC Kansas in their publications and website, even going so far as to put Elk Falls and Howard in SC and Moline, Grenola and Longton in SE in the same year!  Currently they have CQ, EK and GW split between "Eastern Wooded Hills" and "Flint Hills" in some pubs and all contained in Flint Hills in others. 

Another example was the SBA's Small business Development Centers; one year we were attached to Wichita State University and the next we were with Pittsburg State.  Then in the third year we were back to WSU again.

There were many other examples , but I believe you can see the trouble when an area gets bounced around administratively, both politically and economically.  Perhaps this has led to less attention being given to the area's economy since no region of Kansas has a good hold on the area.

Charles

whizkid238

What I noticed was the bridge builder. Charles Valentine Zollars built several county bridges. He had a crew who worked with him several were Zollars men, also Rabbit Nay. I know they built Bull Run.   I've often heard of Zollars Hill but don't know where I think east of Longton

whizkid238

When you go east on the road north of Howard to the Busby Rd(old Store) turn North at 2 mi(I think and go @miles north on the left you'll see a fence of rock if you look there is also a garden rocked in and a @sorty house.   This is where Goe. Washington Reynolds lived before,he died in 1888..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk