County Roads

Started by Tobina+1, August 04, 2009, 12:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

The book is published by Central Publishing Company, Inc, P.O. Box 806, Iola, KS ( Zip Code wasn't shown), Phone is 620-365-2106. They have them for most if not  every county in Kansas .

Leonardcrl

It has been a while since I visted the forum and I believe it was when I posted something about the National Geographic's new maps.  One of the thing's I remember during my tour of the NatGeo HQ in Washington was the point they made about how they advocated corrections that the public pointed out to the national map agencies when errors needed correction.  It is obvious that many local agencies are affected by errors in rural maps.  I have a suggestion for anybody who might want to become an advocate for correct maps and addresses in the rural counties. 

• Bring the subject to the attention of your state senator (Shmidt) & representative (King).
  • Have them put pressure on the KU department of Geography that one of their mission be the accuracy of rural maps.
  • Open up a correspondence with the National Geographic Society and ask for their help.  Send them copies of all correspondence with your state legislators.
  • Have your state legislators bring this to the attention of Congressman Tiahrt 
  • Form a group to continue to irritate all players on the subject.  Note.  A fine educational project for High School Jrs/Srs.  They will learn how to use the modern political system.
Sorry to be so long winded - But I'm a Map Nut (And a graduate of KU Geography Dept.) ;)
Regards
-=Carl=-
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

Jane

:D W.Gray,
Junebug is our favorite also, as it is the road to our pasture (Vinette) and ends there. We know the county does not maintaine the road.  It goes right pass Scott Hunters place. Scott and Marty own both sides of Junebug.
Jane

Tobina+1

Yes, the Elk County Rural Directory is what I was talking about when I said "Platte Directory".  That's what it was called back home... maybe because the company who printed it out there?  As I said in another post a month ago or so... our rural directory was missing quite a few pages this time (they were printed blank).  This directory is also useful to find out who lives where... and who owns which land.

W. Gray

I have been in Neva Walter's office (Elk County Register of Deeds) a few times and each time have taken a short time to review the huge wall sized map of Elk County on her north wall showing the various survey sections and who owns what therein.

Each time, I have silently wondered if she frequently keeps that map up to date and, if so, it must be an expensive effort. Maybe the same Iola printer does the updating for her.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 12, 2009, 06:24:53 PM
Leo, My Al is a map nut too! You two would be quick friends. He love satellite photographs, and geology and soils and how fast what percolates and all that stuff.

Diane, has he ever tried:  http://mapper.acme.com/  It's a single site that lets you switch between eight different views, and then also has links to eleven map servers, updated to the current view. 

I love it, because I don't have to go to favorites and switch servers all the time.

Charles

dnalexander

Quote from: flintauqua on August 13, 2009, 03:13:30 PM
Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 12, 2009, 06:24:53 PM
Leo, My Al is a map nut too! You two would be quick friends. He love satellite photographs, and geology and soils and how fast what percolates and all that stuff.

Diane, has he ever tried:  http://mapper.acme.com/  It's a single site that lets you switch between eight different views, and then also has links to eleven map servers, updated to the current view. 

I love it, because I don't have to go to favorites and switch servers all the time.

Charles

Just added that site to my notebook computer. That is going to come in very handy. Any of you that have been to San Francisco and tried to walk it using a street map can appreciate that the topographic map view could have helped me plan a better route. Thanks Charles I love that site.

David

David

W. Gray

Thanks,

I added the site to my bookmarks.

I noticed on the map that they still have the Santa Fe Howard Branch tracks as coming from Severy and ending at K-99 at about Michigan Street in Howard.

And, at Severy Junction they have the St Louis and San Francisco as stilll going through northeast Elk County and southern Greenwood.

On the Topo map, they have the Santa Fe Howard Branch going through Howard and on to Moline and junction with the "mainline" Santa Fe.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

I also love google map street view. Much of my area is covered by it. Street view gives you a street level photographic view of an area. You can walk down a street, spin around for a 360 degree view. With it you can take a virtual tour of my little town of Belmont, CA or San Francisco. Want to see what Fisherman Wharf looks like you can take a street level photographic tour. Very fun toy.

David

Mom70x7

I think "street view" is awesome! I'm delighted any time I see it as an option.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk