County Roads

Started by Tobina+1, August 04, 2009, 12:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Wow, lots of work being done on the road ditches around the county!  I really have high hopes that this will help the drainage and thus help the potholes issues. 

mayflower

Tobina, I agree; the roads are getting so much better out our way.  They even mowed the shoulders.  I think they are doing a great job!

connie

Just returned from Longton,I decided to come the back way.The County Guys were out working on River Rd from Elk Falls.Sure does look GOOD!!!Great Job County Guys.You got Donuts coming from me on Monday!!!   Enjoy

kshillbillys

Connie, thanks for getting the guys donuts this morning! I'm sure they all enjoyed it and appreciated it! River Road does look good!
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Tobina+1

Just curious as to why if/when someone says something BAD about the roads, the road guys jump all over the Forum to defend themselves... but when 3 people compliment them on the roads, they can't take the time to say "you're welcome" or "thanks for the compliment"?

Anmar

Just in time for my visit to Kansas, awesome.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

kshillbillys

Well, I'm the wife of one of them. Another doesn't have a computer so I conveyed the good messages on to him. They WERE speechless! I was thanking Connie on their behalf since the one doesn't have a computer and my husband doesn't hardly ever use the computer. Sorry, as I reread what I typed I didn't make that clear...so ... Connie, on behalf of all the guys at the county shop where you so nicely took donuts this morning, THANK YOU!!! :-*
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

pepelect

This is off subject so reholster that weapon....... 

We don't have a River Rd.  We don't have Busby Rd.  or Cresco Rd.  anymore......The names changed years ago.   

How long do we have to wait for the information "data" to be released to the rest of the free world?  GPS, google, etc systems still have FAS road numbers and inaccurate address information. 

We try to get people to come to visit our perfect product of Kansas but can't tell them how to get here.  UPS , FedEx and especally OTR freight drivers ask for directions from the grocery store staff all the time.  Is there a fee we have to pay to update the mapping data?   Is there someone at Garmin we can call?  Is there a Magellan rep with a fax machine we could send an accurate map?  Enhanced 911 provides gps capture of cell phone 10/20's  but are they mapped to the old road names or is that correct.  Is an emergency vehicle from neighboring ems say going to be able to find Road 7 at 3am?

I would like to know.

W. Gray

Quite a long time ago Janet posted information about the renaming of the county roads.

She was on the committee (I think) that did the renaming, explained how they were renamed, how numerical addresses were developed, etc.

She mentioned the proper state authority (whoever that might be) was notified of the changes and it was up to that agency to notify the map makers, etc., etc.

Sure would be nice if someone in county government would followup with the state because last time I checked even the state maps did not have the new road names.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

I worked on that one way back in 2003-2005 (since our new sheriff, and the road boss weren't going to do anything about it).  I'm the one who took Janet's hand written 911 map and managed to get the names and numbers computerized onto the official (at the time) KDOT map of Elk County.  That's the map that is in the front of the Elk County Business Directory from that time period.

KDOT finally got around to updating the Elk County map about two years ago, after I had sent them the info they needed (aforementioned map) in 03.  Their map doesn't look too different from mine, except you can barely read theirs and they didn't put the numbering on it like I did.

http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/county-pdf/elk.PDF

I tried at the same time to find out how to get all the online mapping services to change their maps, just to be told their info comes from the feds.  So I started contacting federal agencies that I thought would be the ultimate "source", GNIS, Geological Survey, Census, Weights and Measures, ESRI, you name it, I tried it.  Nothing, not only nothing but no one seemed to know who to contact.  

So I contacted places like Rand McNAlly, DeLorme, etc that publish maps.  They would not disclose where their information comes from, and would not accept my map as being "official".  Eventually I just gave up.

Maybe now that KDOT has put the roads on the map, some calls or emails to the map providers would get somewhere, since now I would think the info would be considered "official".

Charles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk