name calling

Started by tdub, July 23, 2009, 08:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdub

I've been reading this forum for a while now because I like to read views that are different from my own. I might actually learn something. But I'm becoming discouraged by all the name calling. When I read a post that resorts to name calling to prove a point it really says more about the character of the person posting than it does about the person they oppose and in my eyes, at least, they lose credibility. I want to understand the opposing view, but the hateful names people are called distract me from the real issues. I realize that the issues are very polarizing right now, but a middle ground of discussion will never be reached if we continue to vilify the other side.

Mom70x7

Dee Gee

Very good post, tdub.  Their are some that really turn me off in the Politics section, I like to read the different views trying to see both sides of the issue being discussed.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Tobina+1

Tdub; good post.  I've tried to make that same point many times.  When people refer to calling names and making personal attacks on each other, then they're no better than the politicans they claim to dislike.  A discussion is give and take; you post, you read, you let someone else state their opinion.  I GUARANTEE that no one on this politics thread is going to change their opinion just because of something you post.  Respectfully agree to disagree.  If you don't want someone to disagree with you, go talk to your plants.

Diane Amberg

;D ;D ;D I respectfully totally agree with you!!! Thanks Tobina.

Dee Gee

You can also talk to your dog.  ::)
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Tobina+1

Yes, I was going to put that, or cats... but my animals talk back to me.  Especially the cat.  And if the dog disagrees, he goes and pouts.  So I have better luck with the plants.

dnalexander

Lately I have found that talking to the old wise redwood tree in the park helps. It is a good listener and has about 100 years more experience at life than I do.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk