National Education Association (NEA)

Started by redcliffsw, July 15, 2009, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Red, that is an interesting article, and you are absolutely correct, it does provide good reason for home or private schooling.  As if more reasons were needed.  What really pisses me off about groups like the NEA is that they say they want to offer an alternative point of view, but yet they often fight against anyone whose views are oppisite of theirs.  In an article that was linked to the one you posted, schools are dening the parents the right to "opt out" their child from classes that teach so-called diversity.  Does anyone else see a problem here or am I just being, in the words of the NEAs retiring general counsel Bob Chanin, a "right wing conservative bastard"?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Billy, you're right on.   Used to be that Americans would not
have any desire to attach themselves to such a group.

Varmit

Yeah, well, that was before the indoctrination of our children began.  Even in a small, rural school I have to deprogram my children sometimes.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pamsback

I have found the thing that works is public education AND home education AND life education. I do not believe in only "letting" my kids learn what is "correct" in any ONE person or groups opinion. Kids grow when you respect the fact that they have the brains to" sift thru the chaff to find the wheat" so to speak. If you teach your kids the WHOLE story instead of the version you personally like they turn out to be well-adjusted discerning adults with their OWN minds instead of some VERSION of somebody elses.
  Teachin a kid prejudice does nobody any good especially them. This whole gay marriage thing is ridiculous...if two gay people want to get married in a courthouse who cares? It ain't like they want to marry YOU! It doesn't threaten MY marriage in any way shape or form. I personally don't "get" bein gay......but whatever I guess as long as it's two adults.....the rest is between them and God.
  Don't even bother unloadin on me...I'm givin an opinion...MINE....not tryin to convince you you are wrong.

Catwoman

My considered opinion is, if the gays want to make the same idiot marriage mistake that the heterosexuals are making, let them...The US Consititution guarantees everyone the right to make a complete fool of themselves.

Anmar

I'm young and single cat, don't ruin it for me!   :'(
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

Pam, as a parent I can see your point.  I feel that it is my duty to teach my children the difference between right and wrong.  What I don't agree with is public schools trying to undermine that authority.  It is not their place to do that.  I don't think that teaching children about diversity is a bad thing. I just don't feel that it can be taught by someone who refers to the opposing viewpoint as "right wing conservative bastards."

I agree that two consenting adults should be able to do what they want in their bedroom.  Thats their business.  However, when society says that it wants marriage defined as being between a man and a woman, thats the way it ought to be. 

Catwoman

Quote from: Anmar on July 17, 2009, 12:32:22 PM
  I'm young and single cat, don't ruin it for me!   :'(

Hey...I'm not out to ruin anything for you...If you've got the stomach for it, go for it! lol  Just make sure you don't settle for whatever will place itself constantly in front of you.  Just because it's there doesn't mean that it's the right choice.  Having to "settle" will do nothing but suck the life out of you.

dnalexander

Quote from: BillyakaVarmit on July 17, 2009, 04:38:36 PM
Pam, as a parent I can see your point.  I feel that it is my duty to teach my children the difference between right and wrong.  What I don't agree with is public schools trying to undermine that authority.  It is not their place to do that.  I don't think that teaching children about diversity is a bad thing. I just don't feel that it can be taught by someone who refers to the opposing viewpoint as "right wing conservative bastards."

I agree that two consenting adults should be able to do what they want in their bedroom.  Thats their business.  However, when society says that it wants marriage defined as being between a man and a woman, thats the way it ought to be. 

Billy, society can say whatever they want. Marriage is not a government function and it should stay out. I have my own moral opinions on what a marriage should be. As long as no one is being injured (by the legal definition) I think we should be free to do whatever we want. (i.e. your freedom of speech ends where the other persons nose begins.)

David

srkruzich

The biggest thing i have against the NEA is how they have managed to make sure no teacher can get fired.  I don't believe a teacher should have tenure Period. I think their employment should be based on a pass/fail rate.  if 85% of your class passes you keep your job and base raises on levels above 85%.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk