Things I Learned From My Grandparents

Started by Wilma, July 12, 2009, 10:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookatmeknow!!

I didn't know my paternal grandparents.  But my Grandma and Grandpa Knight I did.  We lived right beside them growing up.  My grandma taught me how to sew to.  I remember many of nights just spent getting projects ready for the fair.  She also taught me some of her cooking skills.  I remember watching her make her soft pies, bake rolls, and only wishing one day I could do it.  I can make them now, but not sure if they are as good as grandma's or not.  She also helped teach me to play the piano.  I would have never knew what a pump organ was or how to use it.  My grandpa passed away when I was 10 but he taught me how to ride horses.  He also taught me to my love for animals.  They were both wonderful people that I miss very much!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Judy Harder

I have really enjoyed this thread.........My paternal gandpa died when I was 8 and he had been in
"the old-folks"home for some time before he passed. I only remember visiting the home once and then
I do not think I got to go in, had to stay outside........may have been the age rule, or Mom and Dad chose
not to let me see the place.

Grandma Bates introduced me to the Lord....Yes, I am still learning about HIM!

Grandpa and Grandma Tschantz.......'maternal grands' I remember  better.
They were in their 80's when they passed on and I was an adult with kids so really spent more time
with them  and from grandpa learned how to love farming and animals and all that goes with it.

One story I remember about Grandma Tschantz is I was a tot in arms........about 3 or so and she was holding me while
we checked out the chickens............I being young and asking all kinds of questions........felt her bosom  and when I patted it asking what was in there? She told me there was a mouse in there..........I am so surprised that as much as I love animals I didn't insist to look and see!.............I still remember this after all  these years............63 and giggle.......
Yes, I miss them and sure wish I could play on their farm. Yes, I know at my age I would be sitting in the porch rocking chair
and spending my time visiting.....

Oh the good old days.
Thanks for the memories.
God bless Grandparents.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

dnalexander

I never was able to spend much time with any of my grandparents. My paternal grandma died when I was very young and I have very few memories of her. My paternal grandpa Walt was a Wichita boy that had a Frigidaire repair company. From him I got my last name and learned a grandparents love. I was relatively old when I learned that he was my grandma's second husband and had adopted my dad. From him I learned what love was he, was a great man. From my mom's side I had Genevieve and Lester Winn. They had Winn's Cafe in Howard and are why I found this site. From them I learned that it doesn't matter how may kids or grand kids you have you can love them all. Mostly, I remember them working at the cafe and all the great times I had there. What I remember most about my grandma is her sense of humor and how she kept track of all of our birthdays. With 15 kids and I don't know how many grandkids. great grant kids, and great great grandkids she always remembered your birthday. From my Grandpa I have a couple memories. I remember him working all day running the cafe and the butcher block in the back where we were all shown how to cook. I remember him then cooking supper for all of us at home when we came to visit. There were always big crowds coming from such a large family. From him I learned the my love of cooking for my friends and family and I carry his tradition on today by cooking for large crowds on all the holidays. From him I learned to feed the cat's out back 'cause they keep the mice away and it is the right thing to do. The most prominent memory of have of him was when a quail hunter came to the back door of the Cafe with his black "boy" and asked if my grandpa would feed him. My grandpa told him that his "boy" could sit in the front. That was a big deal in those days. My mom always told me that was due to my Quaker roots. I learned my tolerance for other people from that. A lesson that has served me well all through my life. While I never spent much time with any of my grandparents some of my most cherished lessons I learned from them.

David

indygal

I didn't know my maternal grandparents very well, but my paternal grandparents lived just one block away while I was a young child. From my grandpa Love I learned to love newspapers and housepainting. He taught me how to remove wallpaper from plaster walls and how to cut in a corner when painting a wall. Grandpa had a wonderful whistle and would always call out "Yoo hoo!" whenever he came through our door. I don't remember him being much of a talker, but I do remember he always had some Brach's mixed candy in his pocket. Oh, and I did see him "sample" some grapes and Brach's at the grocery store! And no, I didn't learn to do the same....LOL

My grandma Love would play Scrabble and Spill and Spell with me, which helped to instill my love of words, and Yahtzee and Hangman. She also would "let" me roll coins (counting skills) and make up words using dry alphabet macaroni. She always had the dictionary nearby during Scrabble and would help me spell a word as well as learn what it meant. Grandma always remembered her grandkids' birthdays (nine, I believe) and always gave each of us three $1 bills. Even when I was in my 20s, married with kids, she'd send me a birthday card with three ones in it. She died four months shy of her 100th birthday.

dandymomma

Grandma Riggs taught me how to snap beans, make a pattern out of an old garment, and that Skin So Soft by Avon will keep the Chiggars away.

Granddad Riggs taught me how to drive, the secret yumminess that is spun honey, and that men are never too old to admire a beautiful woman.

Rudy Taylor

... and no woman is more admired by a grandpa than his beautiful granddaughter.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

Rudy, you are right on.  When I married my wife was and still is beautiful.  We had a daughter who I think is very beautiful and now she has given us two granddaughters.  They are the most beautiful young ladies (ages 4 and 1) in the world and the apples of my eyes. 

I didn't know my grandparents on my fathers side and barely knew my maternal grandfather.  But, I knew my grandmother well and she instilled in me, manners, courtesy, and being honest. 

In reading this thread, I think about what I can pass on to my granddaughters and that would be manners, courtesy, and honesty.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

pamsback

From Grandpa Smith I learned the worlds inside books, that there were many interesting things in the world that most people didn't think about, what milk straight from the cow tastes like, that arguing is not fighting it's two different points of view and to enjoy said argument, horses, rodeos ,he taught me MANY things......
  From Grandma Smith I learned patience, acceptance, she and Grandad "let me help" even when it would've been a LOT easier if I didn't LOL,she and grandpa taught me about gardenin and lovin flowers, she told us the stories about the people we never met and the things that happened...we'd spend hours lookin at pictures and havin her tell us about them, I remember her  feedin hobos that came from the train tracks behind their place. Used to scare Dad and Grandpa to death...... I loved those two people..........

From Grandma Gertie I learned about manners and bein ladylike although I drove her crazy in that department lol. She taught me about startin with a little bit of nothin and turnin it into SOMEthin. She took time with us too.......

They all taught ME how to be a grandparent..I only hope my grandkids have HALF as many good memories of me when my times over.

flintauqua

Since both of my grandfathers had already passed by the time I came into this world, and my grandmother Durbin passed away when I was two, I only got to know one of my grandparents, grandma Octa Hainlin.

Now, I know I must of learned a lot of other things from her, but what always comes to mind is:

Slightly old peanut butter can be made palatable by putting it on toast and then covering it with brown sugar ( it works just as well with perfectly fine PB also ;D ;D )

If you want to increase your chances of winning (every time :P) at Monopoly, then YOU have to be the banker >:(  Octa was always the banker, and she always won ??? :o  Maybe it had something to do with being in her thirties during the depression ;) ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk