Medal of Honor

Started by W. Gray, June 29, 2009, 06:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The Medal of Honor is the highest combat award and has been around since the Civil War (second highest is the Distinguished Service Cross).

There are three different versions of the actual medal with each service having its own design.

Almost 3,500 medals have been awarded, including to one female, Dr. Mary Walker (Civil War era).

Eighteen American Indians have received the Medal of Honor. Six of these awards came in the 20th century; three recipients were from the Cherokee tribe, one from the Choctaw tribe, one from the Creek tribe, and one from the Sioux tribe.

148 medals were awarded during combat action in Korea. 133 of these were awarded during the 1950s. Fifteen were awarded during the American invasion of Korea in the 1870s (an action which very few people, Korean or American, are aware).

A Medal of Honor recipient, if he survives, is entitled to a lifetime monthly tax free payment from the US Government.

The computation for the monthly payment is determined by Congress and paid by the Veterans Administration. Originally, the amount was adjusted from time to time whenever determined necessary by Congress.

Monthly payment history:

1916, $10
1961, $100
1979, $200
1993, $400
1998, $600
2003, $1,000

Payments are now automatically adjusted for inflation.

The most recent monthly payment amount, effective December 8, 2008, is $1,194.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

ddurbin

I don't know if this has been mentioned here on the Forum, but one of Moline's young men, Leon Johnson, was a MOH recipient for service during WWII.  He was a planner and squadron leader of the Air Force's bombing raid on the Romanian oil fields and refineries at Ploesti.  He went on to become a 4-Star General in the Air Force.  He died in 1997.

Wilma

Ummm.  $1,194.00.  Where do I get me one of them Medals of Honor?

W. Gray

Colonel Johnson received his medal in England.

During that raid, some of the incendiary bombs were dropped by hand.

This is a very famous raid and I had no idea there might be a Moline connection.

There is a film made by the 1350th Motion Picture Squadron at

Some of the comments to the film are, to say the least, interesting.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

Thanks so much!  My dad was so proud of Leon.  As a child, I remember a few times when he would come back to Moline.  When I was in grade school, there was a small part in our history book about Leon Johnson.  Thanks again!
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Mom70x7

Great video.

Like Leon's mustache.

Nothing was said about the photographer - that was also a dangerous position.

W. Gray

According to Military Times (a newspaper publishing company which publishes the Air Force Times, Army Times, Navy Times)

Twelve Medals of Honor were won for battles occurring on Kansas soil. Four of these are the result of Civil War battles and eight are the result of the Indian Wars.

Kansas receives credit for having twenty-eight Medal of Honor winners.

Two men now living in Kansas are recipients of the Medal of Honor.

The only man to ever receive two Medals of Honor is buried at Fort Leavenworth: Lt Thomas Custer, brother of George Armstrong.

Twelve Medal of Honor winners were born in Kansas but moved to other states with those other states receiving the award credit.

Judy Harder

Thank you for sharing this part of our history.

You do make a great history teacher. Keep up the good work!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Rudy Taylor

Well, folks, you made my day.  I had no idea that Moline was home to a Medal of Honor winner. What an honor!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

There is no mention of Leon Johnson in the Elk County history book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk