another slice of wry

Started by larryJ, June 24, 2009, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

Diane, it is not a direct line relationship.  Way back before dirt, one of the Norse Vikings landed in Normandy and took over.  In his family line down through the years, there was marriages and William and an in-law (I am probably getting this all wrong without looking it up) Eudo decided that the throne of England was rightfully Williams and so they sailed from Normandy to England and waged war and William was crowned king.  After him, there were more marriages and in those times, a woman could not pass on property to her heirs directly and those properties were given to a male relative or in-law.  Out of all this came the FitzRandolph family of which Edward FR emigrated to America in the 1620's.  The vikings name was Rolf, Raulph, Rollo, and Ranouf ---- take your pick, but the name FitzRandolph was descended from him.  Edward is my direct ancestor.  One of the FitzRandolph women moved with her father and mother to NW Pennsylvania where she married an Andrews.  They had two sons of which Amos was one and he moved to Elk County in the 1880's and is buried in Grace Lawn along with his wife.  He was my great-grandfather. 

More than you wanted to know, I bet.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

larryJ

WAIT!!! There is more.  One of the FitzRandolphs was Nathaniel.  The FitzRandolphs had moved to New Jersey to establish their own religion and Nathaniel owned some land which he donated to Princeton University.  There is a gate at Princeton named in honor of Nathaniel FitzRandolph and at one time his remains were entombed in the library there.  I think that library was torn down and his remains along with other were moved to a cemetery.  I only brought this up because it is close to you.

Second point:  There are other forum members who are also descendants of the FitzRandolphs such as Mom70x7 and Crleonard.  And maybe a couple I can't think of right now.

BTW, the religion established was the Seventh Day Baptist church.  I have seen references somewhere that they were like or closely associated with the Quakers. 

Such a wealth of information! 

Larryj

frawin

Larry, I hope you don't mind me posting this here.
A
> married couple is driving along a highway doing a
> steady
> 60
> miles per hour. The wife is behind the wheel. Her husband
> suddenly looks across at her and speaks in a clear voice.
> 'I know we've been married for twenty years, but I
> want a divorce.'
>
> The wife says nothing,
> Keeps
> looking at the road ahead but slowly increases her speed
> to
> 65
> mph. The husband speaks again. 'I don't want you to
> try and talk me out of it,' He says, 'because
> I've been having an affair with your best friend, And
> she's a far better lover than you
> are.'
>
> Again the wife stays quiet, But grips the steering wheel
> more tightly and slowly increases the speed
> to
> 75
> He pushes his luck. 'I want the house,' he says
> insistently..
>
> Up to
> 80.
> 'I want the car, too,' he
> continues.
>
> 85
> mph. 'And,' he says, 'I'll have the bank
> accounts, all the credit cards and the
> boat!'
>
> The car slowly starts veering towards a massive concrete
> bridge. This makes him nervous, so he asks her,
> 'Isn't there anything you want?'
>
> The wife at last replies in a quiet and controlled voice.
> 'No, I've got everything I need,' she says.
> 'Oh, really,' he inquires, 'so what have you
> got?'
>
> Just before they slam into the wall at
> 85
> mph,The wife turns to him and smiles. 'The
> airbag.'
>
>

Diane Amberg

larryJ

I have no problem with anyone posting here.  The only requirement is that it has to be funny or least if you think it is funny. 

Larryj

larryJ

Today's--------------------------------------what a letdown!

Put in charge of organizing her friend's baby shower, Kim decided to send out invitations via e-mail.  To let her husband know that he had babysitting duty that day, she entered his name on the "copy to" line.

Within minutes of sending the messages, Kim received an e-mail back from her husband -- "Imagine my disappointment when I realized that your invitation wasn't sent only to me."

He was referring to the "subject line" of Kim's message, which read, "Lunch and a shower."

Today---------Actor Steve Forrest is 85, Actress Anita Ekberg is 78, and my fave-Singer Jerry Lee Lewis is 74.

Personal story----Last night, my wife and I decided that we wanted to get some dinner from a local chicken place.  So I went there  and in ordering, the young teenage girl asked me my name as that is how they call you when your order is ready.  So, being in my usual humorous mood, I told her my name and added, "or you can just say, 'hey, you', just don't call me late for dinner."  I know, so 20th century.  Anyway, she responded by suggesting Pancho and a few other names.  This girl has a sense of humor.  Anyway, I told her we had recently acquired a small chihuahua/Pomeranian mix dog and were having a hard time coming up with a name.  SO, we named it RAMBO giving a 4 pound dog ---when wet---a fierce sounding name.  She looked at me and smiled, then turned and proceeded to get my order ready.  It occurred to me that she hadn't been born when the movie came out and didn't know who RAMBO was, or least didn't make the connection.  This is sad!

Sadder still, when I call the dog ---"Here, RAMBO"  he cocks his head and gives that "you're kidding me with that name, right?" look on his face.

Larryj

Judy Harder

Penguins

Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica - where do they go?

Wonder no more!!!

It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird which lives an extremely ordered and complex life.

The penguin is very committed to its family and will mate for life, as well as maintaining a form of compassionate contact with its offspring throughout its life.

If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and social circle have been known to dig holes in  the ice, using their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into and buried.

The male penguins then gather in a circle around the fresh grave and sing:   

"Freeze a jolly good fellow."

"Then they kick him in the ice hole."

You really didn't believe that I know a damn thing about penguins, did you?

::) ;D ;D
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Until a child tells you what they are thinking, we can't even begin to imagine how their mind is working....
Little Zachary was doing very badly in math.
His parents had tried everything...tutors, mentors,
flash cards, special learning centers.
In short, everything they could think of to help his math.

Finally, in a last ditch effort, they took Zachary down and enrolled him In the local Catholic school. After the first day, little Zachary came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn't even kiss his mother hello.
Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying.

Books and papers were spread out all over the room and little Zachary was hard at work. His mother was amazed. She called him down to dinner.

To her shock, the minute he was done, he marched back to his room without a word, and in no time, he was back hitting the books as hard as before.

This went on for some time, day after day, while the mother tried to understand what made all the difference.

Finally, little Zachary brought home his report Card.. He quietly laid it on the table, went up to his room and hit the books. With great trepidation, His Mom looked at it and to her great surprise, Little Zachary got an 'A' in math.   She could no longer hold her curiosity.. She went to his room and said, 'Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?' Little Zachary looked at her and shook his head, no.. 'Well, then,' she replied, Was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms? WHAT WAS IT?'

Little Zachary looked at her and said, 'Well, on the first day of school when I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they weren't fooling around.'

Have a wonderful day and God Bless

larryJ

An image is worth a thousand words!!!   This is great.  Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk