Demolished houses

Started by Joanna, June 24, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

I just want to note that 2 junk houses in my neighborhood were torn down today by their owners.  The limited-time change in the dump fees is really helping out.

I'm still working on getting mine down, now I have to kick it in gear or my neighbor will be teasing me about it since his is gone...  ;D

Wilma

I can see that the old stucco house at the corner of Walnut and Adams is down.  You wouldn't believe the difference it makes even before it is all cleaned up.  Makes me wish I had an old house to demolish.

Jo McDonald

Fred and I used to own that house, Wilma, it wasn't too bad back then- it is sure went to rack and ruin after we sold it.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

patyrn

What a blessing to get some of these dilapidated structures taken care of!  It will make a huge difference in the various neighborhoods, and help the image of the entire town. 

indygal

There's been some positive activity in our part of town as well. Nothing demolished (yet! but we're hoping!) though the folks who bought the house at Penn & Monroe are doing some major gutting out. It doesn't look like the house is in horrible condition so maybe they're going to remodel. Also, a house on East Jefferson that sold also is going to be remodeled. This is all so positive, and such a big step forward for our community.

patyrn

I hope everyone gives lots of encouragement and praise to those who are remodeling some of the neglected homes.  We did that with a house several years ago, and it is usually a bigger project that was originally bargained for, but we were able to get it finished and turned into a decent rental house.  There is a great need for rentals in Howard when new teachers arrive in town in the fall. Besides cosmetic upgrades, one of the biggest necessities for these homes is for them to be brought up to date with electrical wiring to accommodate computers, microwaves, etc.  Not a cheap price tag, but a good investment.  Good for the community, too.

heather_tyler_2014

Ahh, today from 1:00 PM till 5:30ish PM I sat at the "Old House" as we call it (the one Wilma is talking about) and we watched it be knocked down and pilled into rocks and dirt & dust! :)  It's just amazing! My mom and father lived there when my eldest brother Kenny was born and I think for a little while when Billy was born if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember and then My Uncle Tom was going to re-model it, but if you know Tom... Haha! Lol BUT it looks great and I think Roland is going to be tearing down My Uncle Burt's old house that is in VERY bad condition! I reallyyyyyy can't wait to see what it look's like after it's knocked down!

PEACE
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

indygal

I'd say a LOT of people are really looking forward to seeing how it looks when your Uncle Burt's house is gone. Tell your mom that we are very grateful for what she's doing.

srkruzich

IF anyone finds a attic fan in one of these houses, I really need one!!!!!!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Also if anyone has any decent lumber in these houses that are being torn down i could use some.  I need lumber to build my hives.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk