Wild Pigs

Started by W. Gray, June 20, 2009, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

A Pennsylvania newspaper reported a couple years ago there were 2,000 wild pigs in Kansas with trouble spots in Sumner County, Clinton Reservoir, and Cimaron National Grasslands.

Have any been spotted in Elk County?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Quote from: W. Gray on June 20, 2009, 02:38:23 PM
A Pennsylvania newspaper reported a couple years ago there were 2,000 wild pigs in Kansas with trouble spots in Sumner County, Clinton Reservoir, and Cimaron National Grasslands.

Have any been spotted in Elk County?

Waldo I don't post this to dispute what you posted just to expand the topic. I may be wrong but I like this topic and we may all learn something.

If I am not mistaken. The only wild pigs in the US are native Peccaries\Javelina which exist\existed in the Southwestern US. There are not wild pigs native to Kansas. The pigs referred to in you post would be feral pigs or domesticated pigs that live in the wild. I know some people will see my post as picky, but since I know you share my love of history, I think you will understand. Thanks for posting this;  I would love to hear if people have spotted Peccaries or feral pigs in Kansas.

David

W. Gray

The sources I have seen say there are no Peccaries in Kansas.

There are, however, packs of wild pigs as reported in the Pennsylvania newspaper.

These are pigs that have either escaped their owners or were released by their owners to fend for themselves because of economic hard times.

I am curious to know if there are any wild pigs in Elk County.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dee Gee

I don't about Elk but here in southern Montgomery County around Coffeyville there is a few packs of feral hogs that are doing damage to the farmer crops.  Also they are having a lot of trouble with them in Bourbon County around Ft. Scott.  Some people say that hunters are turning them loose to have something to hunt along the one that get loose and other people turning them loose because they can't afford to feed them.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

W. Gray

That reminds me of the huge ranch in Texas that let loose exotic wild animals and then charged hunters a fee--a huge fee--to track down and shoot them.

Don't know if that place is still in existence.

dnalexander

At one time there was a website from Texas where you could shoot exotic animals over the internet through a computer controlled gun with a web cam. Doesn't sound like fun to me and you miss the joy of being out in the "woods", the chase, etc which to me are all important parts of why I like hunting.

David

dnalexander

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 20, 2009, 05:45:11 PM
Sorry guys, Javelinas aren't pigs, not even related. That was something I learned at the Desert Museum in AZ. I had thought so too.

Diane you are correct. They are not pigs.
David

Pig

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Theria
Infraclass: Eutheria
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Suidae
Subfamily: Suinae
Genus: Sus

Peccary

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Chordata
Class:
Mammalia
Order:
Artiodactyla
Family:
Tayassuidae
Palmer, 1897
Species
Tayassu

dnalexander

Peccary and pigs are related  like all primates are related, same order. I think a peccary and a pig look more alike than man does to other primates. Can anyone think or find something of the same order, different family that looks more alike than a pig and a peccary? Welcome to Animal Planet\Elk County. ??? ;D

David

indygal

I remember hearing (or reading) somewhere that a domesticated pig will go feral after only one (or two?) generations. David, do you know if this is true? If so, that's a very scary thought, considering how vicious a wild pig is.

Catwoman

The rumor is that a group of people brought up wild boar from TX and turned them loose so that the idiots could hunt pig up in KS like they did in TX...Never mind the fact that wild pigs are extremely destructive...You have to wonder about the stupidity of some people.   ::) ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk