Just A Thought

Started by sixdogsmom, June 11, 2009, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

I watched a program on the history channel the other day about the development of the species of man on this planet. Now I am not wanting to get into any creationism discussion, but here is my thoughts concerning the development of our species. We know that at some point primitive man developed speech and that was considered the turning point in his intelligence; not overnight, but rapid compared to other species. We also know that written language was another boost, and that the printing press yet another. There have been recent discussions involving the rapid development of electronic information systems, and it has been brought up that many things are googled on a regular basis. I do know that I 'look up' many more things since I got my computer, and have probably kept my brain from pickling in the process, (maybe). Do you think the internet and other electronic information systems will have an affect on the future of our species? We already know that it has affected our political process, and our family life. Input anyone?
Edie

Rudy Taylor

Interesting thought to ponder. I'm certainly no expert on sociology, but I do believe the internet and the electronic devises in use today are having a tremendous impact upon how we react to stimuli. We older folks probably notice it most with teenagers who constantly "text" their friends, even those located within a proximity of three feet.

Go to a public place such as a shopping mall or airport and you'll see, not just a few, but almost everybody with a cell phone in their ears. I recently took a cruise with my wife and took my cell phone, laptop computer and PDA. Why?  Because I really think I'd go crazy WITHOUT them.  That is scary! And, it's bound to affect the way I develop in my thinking, therefore in my physical make-up, therefore in the regeneration of descendants.

But remember, this bit of wisdom comes from a country newspaper editor, not a scholar.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

Maybe it's an age thingee.  Many a trip my husband and I took without even turning on the radio.  We enjoyed the silence and companionship of just being together without outside distractions except for the passing scenery.  Of course, all of our traveling was done by car with him driving.

Now, here at home, alone, I turn on the TV first thing in the morning and don't turn it off until bedtime.  Or I have to check the forum about every hour.  I don't have a cell phone, but am glad Daughter has when we are on the road.  I dont have a lap top or ipod (whatever that is).  I prefer the VCR over the DVD player.  I don't use the telephone unless I have to.  My brothers don't have computers.  They are so old fashioned.  My sister, who is older than I am, has been online longer than I have and it is a good way to keep in touch.  I guess you could say that E-mail is a very good thing.  I still go to the encyclopedia or dictionery before turning to the computer.  I prefer my news on sheets of paper, held in my hands.  If Daughter looks up something for me on the computer, she prints it out for me.  As far as I am concerned the world is just fine, but I am also resigned to the fact that I will never catch up with technology, so, I am just going to let it go its own way and I will go mine.

larryJ

I agree that this is a nice thought.  The development of the human species took thousands of years.  The development of todays man seems to move faster with the advancement of newer and better electronic devices.  i once saw a movie (can't remember what the name of it was right now) where nobody left their house for anything.  All work was telecommuted and shopping was done electronically with same day delivery by robotic machines.  I can remember visiting at my aunts house in the country outsiide of Howard and counting the number of rings on the party line to see who is being called.  I can remember the phone company digging a trench along the front of our yard where I lived in New Mexico to put in a newfangled dial telephone line so you don't have to wait for the operator to answer the phone when you pick it up.

Like Rudy, when I was in the hospital the last few times I had my laptop with me so I could keep up with the latest news and my favorite blogs such as this one.  I did spend a day or two without the computer and found that I reallly depended on it more than I thought I would.  I also had my cell phone,  but the nurses will not let me use it. 

My 30 something year old daughter works in a courtroom with a Judge, a court clerk and a deputy sheriff.  She and the clerk and the deputy are all within 20 feet of each other and are constantly sending text messages to the others simply because it is quiet and doesn't disrupt the court.  As mentioned elsewhere, my son and his wife are traveling the world and we have:  cell phones with free international calling, computers with cameras attached that seem like the person is right in the room with you,  e-mail, and their own personal blog to record their travels.  Where will we be in next few decades?  That is hard to imagine.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Catwoman

There are many rest/nursing homes that have put in computers and Wii systems...They have discovered that the stimulation that these things afford the brain do a good job of helping to get the brain back into shape.  The brain is a muscle just like any other...Use it or lose it.  I think that the advancements made in technology are going to afford our geriatric population a higher quality of life in the long run.  As far as what damage TV or media have done to our youth, I don't see much, other than a tendency to zone out when watching the stuff and a possible amount of weight gain due to becoming a bit of a couch potato.  What I have seen is a youth population that enters school better prepared than we were when we were tots...TV programs like Barney, Dora, Sesame Street, etc., have given a free education to any child who is able to be tuned in.  My children have been on computers since they were about 1 year old.  They have grown up to be more computer literate than I will ever be, ever...And they have benefitted from this immeasurably as they've progressed through their school-age years.  I thank God that we've had these advancements in technology...It has made life better for everyone in so many ways.

Wilma

I wonder about the social aspect of the technology.  Being cut off from physical interaction with other humans because they can be reached with a bit of texting.  Is it going to become unimportant to be able to interact socially?  What happens when a bit of technology takes the place of a spouse?  I am glad I won't live to see it.

Dale Smith

In my sociology class, last semester, this was one of the theories that we discussed.  Sociologists indicate that computers have a tendency to isolate people from personal relationships with others. After all, you no longer need to call someone, drive over to see them, or sit on the front porch and enjoy a personal conversation.  You can just text them or send an email.   Additionally, the internet offers a flood of information, but as we all know, it offers little, if any, in the way of moral guidance about what is wise or good or even worth knowing.

greatguns

As they say, you can have too much of a good thing. ;) ;)

Wilma

And how do you spank a child with an e-mail or texting?  There are some things that can't be replaced with technology.

Joanna

I was thinking about this a lot while working in the garden today.  I see a similarity to my youth having the TV on every minute anyone was awake in the house (and before that, many people did/do the same with the radio).  When our kids got their first video game, we all were totally addicted to it for months if not years.  And when the internet came on the scene, we were all again hypnotized ~ waiting impatiently for someone else's alloted time on the computer before the next of us could take a turn.  Cell phones... we're still in the middle of that one.  Our son just got a 'smart phone' and I'm thinking seriously about getting an MP3 player to listen to while I'm working.

My family has, for the most part, overcome these "addictions" and use the various elements of technology in our house as needed.  Many times we don't turn on the TV here until 9 or 10 at night, to wind down a bit before bed.  Our youngest son plays video games a little, but more like 2 or 3 hours a week instead of 5 or 6 hours a day; the rest of us play them infrequently (unless Spider Solitaire counts  ;) )  And the internet, I check it several times a day... sort of running my trot-lines of email, messenger, facebook, eBay, and Forum.  But usually not more than a few minutes at a time before I get up to do something else for a while.  So what I see is that after a while, we go back to normal with added convenience.

I think that technology is definitely effecting our society, it's not always for good but most of the time it is.  And I think the general public will come to know the limitations of a computerized world and rebell ~ go out to the Mud Run, plant a Victory garden, or teach their kids to ride a bike.

I read a book once (  Science Fiction is fulll of this premise ;D) where the world was destroyed and the population was reduced to a bunch of scavengers or savage tribes because while they all USED tehcnology they didn't know how to make/do anything themselves.  That's why I want Jo to teach me how to make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie on a campfire before the earth switches it's axis and life as we know it changes.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk