Is It True?

Started by Wilma, May 29, 2009, 05:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I have heard that if you are of *native american descent and can prove it, that you can get your school loans paid off.  Does anyone know if this is true?

*politically correct. 

Can you imagine playing cowboy and native american?

Anmar

Native americans get all kinds of scholarships from Federal, State, and local governments.  The tribes also have a lot of money that they want to spend on college students.  If you are asking for someone who is about to go to college or is already in college, they need to file a FAFSA.  I think they need to be able to prove 1/16th native heritage.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Wilma

I am asking for someone that has already been there and has some loans.  I did hear about the 1/16th but had forgotten, so thanks.  She qualifies that way since her daddy and I are both at least that.  I will see what I can find out about the FAFSA.  I will also have to get back on the track of my great great grandmommy and see if anyone has found any proof that she was an Indian.  We know her name but can't find anything that says she was an Indian except what has come down in the family.

Diane Amberg

Was she listed on the Dawes rolls? I know many were but many were not. She may have been too early.

Joanna

I think there are restrictions; My niece is at least 1/8 Choctaw, but didn't have so much luck with paying for college even though her dad works as law enforcement on reservation property.  I'll get with her this weekend and see if there is any more information, I really am not sure of the details.

Wilma

Thanks in advance, Joanna.  It seems too good to be true, but why not check it out.

Diane, no, she isn't on any of the Indian rolls that we have access to so I think that she might have died before the Cherokees or her family moved to Oklahoma.  Her husband is on the roll as a parent and some of the children are enrolled.  My great grandfather, however, is not on the roll as it was required that you live on Indian land and he refused to do that.  Actually, I think that my family of Indians were among those that refused to move to Oklahoma and hid in the hills.  Of course, they came later, but not because the government forced them to.

Joanna

Here's what Mandi told me:
She is 1/16th and gets a couple hundred dollars a semester
You have to have your membership and card to prove that you are Indian
It also depends on your grades and how many hours you are taking

Wilma

Thanks, Joanna.  So it isn't true that you can get your school loans paid off.  I don't think $200.00 a month would quite do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk