Swiimmin' Pools and Movie Stars.

Started by dnalexander, May 09, 2009, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

David you are not keeping up here!

I was in trouble with the higher ups and had been reduced to the television/stereo department as a salesman.  The company that makes jukeboxes, Wurlizter, had come out with a coffee table style jukebox that stored and played whole albums rather than 45 rpm records.  One day, Dick Smothers of the Smothers Brothers came in and was all excited about getting one.  So I demonstrated it for him and he couldn't wait to sign the check.  I then talked him into buying a second one for his brother Tom.  Delivery took about a week in those days.  A few days after one was delivered to Tom, he came storming into the store and demanded that we send someone to pick up that piece of junk his stupid brother got for him.  Talk about ungrateful.  I always wondered just how close they really were after that.

By the way, when I was demoted to tv/stereo department, I was told I would never be in management again.  A few months later at the height of the Christmas season, one of busiest times of the year, the assistant manager was caught stealing and was immediately fired.  As they had nobody trained to take his place they had to beg me to come back! 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Ha! Serves them right. Thanks for sharing your son's travel plans...and yours too. I'm jealous! I met the Smothers Brothers in 1963 when they came to UD for a concert. They were both a bit tipsy, but were having a good time. I got to meet them before the concert. 

dnalexander

Back in 1986 I was managing a health club in Reno Nevada. We had just completed our grand opening and I had been working non-stop for months. I finally found a chance to take a break and just enjoy the club. I was on of our glass courts just hitting a raquetball around trying to relax. A guy came up to the door and asked if I wanted to play. We introduced ourselves. I told him I was David Alexander and he told me his name was Steve Wynn and he was the Vice President of Cesar's Tahoe. I said  my mom's  maiden name is Winn , W I N N. He said his was spelled W Y N N. We played for a couple of hours and he said if you ever come up to Tahoe look me up and we can play again.

Fast forward to when I was working for the Sports Club company in L.A. I was in Las Vegas with my girlfriend and we were going to watch the demolition of the Dunes hotel and do a little gambling. I was working out in one of our health clubs. Out of the office walked MikeTalla the President of our company. He said David what are you doing her? I explained I came to see the Dunes demolition and  have a little gambling vacation with my girlfriend. I said what are you doing here. He explained he was there on a real estate deal and introduced me to the man he was with. "David this is Steve Wynn he is the owner of the Mirage Hotel" I said, " I think we met once when I was managing a club  in Reno and you were the VP up at Cesar's Tahoe" We played racquetball together. Steve said yes that was him and we explained to my boss the whole story. That night my girlfriend and I had dinner with my boss and Steve Wynn in his private dining room at the hotel and then had a front row seat for the implosion of the Dunes hotel. If you have never seen the demolition of a big building it is spectacular. There is a series of timed explosions that are better than any fireworks I have ever seen. That is one of my favorite celebrity stories.

David

larryJ

David, great story.  Tell me that you won the raquetball game and the bet was for free hotel rooms any time you were in Reno  ;D 

Diane Amberg

Not to horn in on your thread, but do you by chance remember Johnny Kay? Do you know what band he was with? He has a LOT of famous R. and R. early history under his belt.  Beatles in Hamburg, Germany 1962, (shortly before Love Me Do was released). Little Richard in '66, '72 in London with Mick Jagger, who swore he wouldn't be still at it at age 50. (Ha!) Johnny Kay is 68 now and lives north of here, not far from Claymont Delaware and Chester PA., where a lot of early stuff really started. He was with the "Godfather of Rock and Roll" and traveled the world with that well known band for 12 years. Ya got him figured out? The band he was in kick started the rock era with a still very well know tune back in 1955. Ya got him figured out yet? Back later! ;D ;D ;D

larryJ

Yep, he  was front man for the Sparrows who moved to California and changed their name to--------Steppenwolf.  And feel free to horn in with your memories, or your questions.  I know I will love to hear about other peoples experiences or memories as would David who started this thread. 

I once got an "atta boy" while working at the music store.  The rock opera "Hair" was playing at a theater down the street.  As our store was open until 2 AM, I or one of the salesman would stand outside the store with a rack of the soundtrack of "Hair".  As people would exit the theater they would see us out there and come over to buy an album.  These are people that liked the music and said they would get an album later.  By being outside right after they saw the show, they were more inclined to buy the record right then. 

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Nope, Steppanwolf was around 13 or 14 years later. Not John Kay, Johnny Kay.  A clue: 1984 was a special date...what historic thing happened very late in 1984 and somewhat into 1985. It only comes around once in a while. Samuel Clemons would have been interested. By the way, Hair is still one of my all time favorites, and J.C. Superstar too.

Catwoman

Long live Evita...Cats...Le Mis...Phantom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh, to be enchanted by the Music of the Night...

Diane Amberg

I got to see Cats and Phantom in NY City and River Dance too. I still want to see Le Mis but I've never been able to work it out. We try to get a group together and take a bus up.

indygal

Diane, I'm going to guess he had something to do with Bill Haley and the Comets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk