Swiimmin' Pools and Movie Stars.

Started by dnalexander, May 09, 2009, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Quote from: larryJ on May 09, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
Yeah,David, that was the place.  When I moved to California in 1965, I got a job selling records at the Lakewood store and worked my way up to Assistant Manager.  Then the Army stepped in for two years.  When I came home, I was given my old job back, but at the West Covina store.  From March of 1968 through July of 1971, I worked as assistant manager and finally store manager all over the chain, the last being assistant manager in Hollywood.  Mr. Wallichs and I had differing opinions about fraternization with employees so there was a period of time of unemployment, but they took me back when they were hurting for a manager.  At long last, they just couldn't abide by my take on fraternization and I was gone for the final time.  I really loved that job.  I worked afternoons and nights and weekends for low pay, but I just loved that job. 

During my course of employment there, Tower Records opened a store in Hollywood selling records at a discount.  In our meetings with Mr. Wallichs, we encouraged him to go discount and he wouldn't do it.  Consequently, he filed bankruptcy in 1972 and the end of an era.  During World War II, you could go into Music City and record messages on discs which were sent to sodiers overseas. 

Nice picture.  Thanks David

Larryj

Quote from: larryJ on May 09, 2009, 04:39:57 PM
David, does the receipt actually say Wallichs Music City?  The reason I ask is because some departments such as the instruments and the sheet music and the tickets were actually Franchises inside the store.  The tickets were sold by Liberty long before their was a Ticketmaster.  Each store's instrument department was owned by various people.  I think the one in West Covina was owned by Mr. Edelman.  I don't remember any others.  All store's sheet music  departments were owned by Mr. Hansen who had a daughter, somewhat overweight, and not too much fun to look at.  She was an alcoholic probably because she couldn't get a date.  When my roommate and I were broke we would cruise all the bars in Newport Beach and Balboa until we found her and we would sit with her all night and never have to pay for a drink.  Some stores used the Wallichs name and others used their owners name.  I would be interested if there is a name on the receipt other than Wallichs.

Larryj

Quote from: dnalexander on May 09, 2009, 06:14:56 PM
David, does the receipt actually say Wallichs Music City?  The reason I ask is because some departments such as the instruments and the sheet music and the tickets were actually Franchises inside the store.  The tickets were sold by Liberty long before their was a Ticketmaster.  Each store's instrument department was owned by various people.  I think the one in West Covina was owned by Mr. Edelman.  I don't remember any others.  All store's sheet music  departments were owned by Mr. Hansen who had a daughter, somewhat overweight, and not too much fun to look at.  She was an alcoholic probably because she couldn't get a date.  When my roommate and I were broke we would cruise all the bars in Newport Beach and Balboa until we found her and we would sit with her all night and never have to pay for a drink.  Some stores used the Wallichs name and others used their owners name.  I would be interested if there is a name on the receipt other than Wallichs.

Larryj

Larryj

Larry, I never paid much attention to the recepit, it is in storage with other things I don't want to throw away. The Wallach's name was new to me, but I recognized the name Music City. I was not sure originally if you were talking about Music City or maybe Tower.The address you mentioned struck a bell because because I visited Amoeba records which started much more recently here in the Bay Area and has a new store near where I think Wallach's was located. My 7 years in LA were spent in Redondo Beach and Hermosa during 1989 to 1995 when I worked for Sports Club\LA and Talla Developement the owners of many big name properties. Your story mirrors mine in so many ways. 

David

p.s. Since we are having a personal conversation about LA send me a PM. I doubt anyone here cares or knows what we are talking about.

Quote from: indygal on May 09, 2009, 07:25:07 PM
Actually, David, I've enjoyed reading the conversation. Don't stop on my account  :laugh: Also, your mention of Redondo Beach made me think of an old Patti Smith song by that title.

Quote from: dnalexander on May 09, 2009, 08:07:27 PM
For Indygal, because she was interested, I am starting a new thread in the Misc thread called Swimming Pools and Movie Stars to continue Larry and my conversation on Los Angeles, famous people, music, and pop culture.

David

Larryj

Larry, I never paid much attention to the recepit, it is in storage with other things I don't want to throw away. The Wallach's name was new to me, but I recognized the name Music City. I was not sure originally if you were talking about Music City or maybe Tower.The address you mentioned struck a bell because because I visited Amoeba records which started much more recently here in the Bay Area and has a new store near where I think Wallach's was located. My 7 years in LA were spent in Redondo Beach and Hermosa during 1989 to 1995 when I worked for Sports Club\LA and Talla Developement the owners of many big name properties. Your story mirrors mine in so many ways. 

David

p.s. Since we are having a personal conversation about LA send me a PM. I doubt anyone here cares or knows what we are talking about.

David

I had some trouble transfering stuff so please forgive me. My brain wasn't working too well on this. I hope you get the idea of this thread

David

sixdogsmom

I'm not Indygal, but I enjoyed this conversation also!  ;)
Edie

dnalexander

I hope everyone that is interested gets pas my feeble attempt to transfer this thread here. I thought Larry and I could tell our tales of life in L.A. among the stars of movies and music.

David

Wilma

Hey, don't quit on account of me.  I was enjoying it, even though I don't have anything to add.

indygal

Thanks, fellas. It's fun traveling in the time machine with you! Y'all come back now, ya hear?   :laugh:

dnalexander

I don't want to scare anyone off. But Larry will tell you that we both were working and our contact was fleeting in most cases. We both happened to come in contact with a lot of famous people just because of our jobs. Think about the guy at the grocery store that works in a neighborhood in Hollywood or Beverly Hills. But being in such a target rich environment we do have a few stories that will satisfy your movie star gossip. We may even have some really juicy stories. For the most part it is hello, Mr Cruise, may I hold your towel? Thanks, David good to see you again. Then there are stories that we really need to check with our lawyers on before we tell you.

David

larryJ

There was no problem with the transfer.  All of you who read all that and have questions just jump right in.  I am sure between David and I we could find the answer.

So, good stories, huh.  Most of mine would be based on my experiences at the record store. 

I was somewhat naive when I came to SoCal.  I wasn't aware that people would cheat you, rob you, and throw you to the wolves without blinking an eye.  Over time I became cynical in that I didn't trust anyone, especially my ex-wife.  One day at work a messenger service guy came in and piled up about 20 record albums in front of the cashier and I and proceeded to hand me a credit card (Diners Club, if I remember correctly).  The name on the card-------------Marlo Thomas---------you know-------from TV.  Well, I told the guy that I couldn't accept the card because he clearly wasn't Marlo Thomas.  He just kind of looked at me and said ok and left.  About 30 minutes later I got a phone call from--------guess who.  She really raked me over the coals for about 10 minutes using words my mother never taught me and pointing out the obvious flaws in my being.  When she was  done, I told her that I was only protecting her because I thought the card might be stolen and that she was lucky I didn't confisticate it right there on the spot and cut it up.  There was silence and then-----------------------------wait for it-------------------she hung up on me!!!

I was later informed by higher up management that no matter what card was used and by whom, just take it and shut up.  So I guess she had some pull with my bosses. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

dnalexander

Ok Larry you are on my same wavelength. I too have stories of the seemingly nice guy\gal star and they turned out to be a terror, ruining my opinion of them. Some turn out to be really nice normal people. I also, have stories of the things most people associate with California some true some just the hype we use for marketing purposes. I'll start with a few stories to enforce some of the hype. Then I will tell some of my jucier stories. If anyone has any specific questions go ahead and ask. I will come up with a good story I think you all will be interested in. Larry, any good stories about Jim Morrison and The Doors my favorite group? I am working hard to become Jim Morrison's replacement on the current tour.

David

larryJ

Sorry, I had to cut out there for a while.  My son and daughter-in-law are traveling the world and he just called on the computer.  He had installed Skype on my laptop so we can have regular phone conversations.  The clarity is such that he sounds like he is in the room with me.  He was calling from Malaysia. 

Jim Morrison and the Doors?  No, but I loved the music.  When I got a new cell phone a few years back, I wanted to download "Light my fire" for the ringtone, but there was some kind of legal issue and I couldn't do it.  I wish you good luck in your endeaver (?) to lead the group.

Okay, one more and then its bedtime. 

Across the street from the Hollywood store stands a large building some 20 or 30 storys tall.  It is mostly used for offices, but there are some high end apartments in there and a fantastic restaurant on the top floor.  I ate there once and then had to wait for several more paychecks before I could eat there again.  Anywho, the reknowned singer Mr. Johnny Mathis had an apartment there.  One night he came into the store and bought a single 45 rpm record.  He came to the cashier and paid for it and then asked for the manager.  I came out and he asked if I would be so kind as to deliver the record to his apartment.  Now for those of you that don't know, Mr. Mathis was-------------------had a different sexual preference.  This was a well known fact around the Hollywood area.  There was no way I was going up to that apartment, but a young man newly hired volunteered.  I don't recall talking to him afterward, but I know it wasn't going to be me to deliver that record.

Okay, one more.  As this thread originally started out about hippies.  Across the street on another corner was a Bank Of America.  In front of the building which sat at an angle to the corner was a large fountain maybe 30 feet in diameter.  Every once in a while when the local hippies had enough money to buy some drugs or booze, if there was any money left over they would buy laundry soap and throw it in the fountain at  night.  They would bathe and wash their clothes and leave and the next morning, the intersection of Sunset and Vine would be awash in soap bubbles.  It took a while, but the bank finally turned off the fountain.

Good night.     Larryj

larryJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk