Elk County Connection

Started by dnalexander, May 05, 2009, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

My grandmother, Edith Collins, had two sisters.  One was Suda who lived in Severy all her life and married a Henderson.  The other was Ona who married Hershel Stevens.  Aunt Ona was my great aunt and Hershel was my grand uncle.  Their house in Howard was the home of the White Eagle statue in the front yard.  Hershel worked for White Eagle Petroleum which later became Mobiloil and the logo was the flying red horse. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

frawin

Larry, that is interesting to me, I grew up across the street from Herschel and Leona, they were both really neat people. Gene was my Boy Scout Leader, and a really great guy. .
Frank Winn

Wilma

Now that you mention it, larryj, I, too, have the Weyrauch connection.  Your Aunt Bernadine's husband, John, was my husband's Uncle John.  At the time we were maried, the county was full of Weyrauchs, too.  Now, there is only me and one of my daughters that bear the name.  There is , however, another daughter, a niece, a cousin who were all Weyrauchs at one time.  That is all that I am aware of.  I would have to go to the Weyrauch history to ascertain just when they came to Elk County.  It was either in the late 1800s or the early 1900s.

larryJ

Frawin, it is interesting about all the connections with other forum members.  Thank you David.  Gene Stephens is one of my favorite people. 

Wilma, I don't remember much about Uncle John other than he always took time out for me when I would walk out to the farm.  Before I was old enough to drive, I would walk out to the farm and just hang around.  I am sure he was busy, but he would let me ride the horses and I helped feed the animals.  Those were great times and wonderful memories now.  Well, except for the time I was on the palomino and he bent down to eat some grass and I slid right off! 

Larryj

frawin

Larry, I remember going to John and Bernadine's, they lived just South of the Old Sinclair Pump Station. Tom and John were also favorites of mine. I remember when they came back from the service, Navy I think, and I think both of them went to work with one of my Brother-in-Laws testing rock for the state High Department, Materials Division. Bob Redmond dated my older sister, Bob and Bill were both neat people. Come to think of it Gene's sister Edith's Husband Frank Zeleny was also  one of our Boy Scout Leaders with Gene. Gene's wife, Menzenita was a Houser and her father "Forty" was one of my most memorable people growing up, Forty was Elk County Sheriff at one time, later he was the Drayman that delivered the Freight from the Railroad, he had an old Model "A" truck and he drove very slow and he would stop and let kids ride on the back on his deliveries. Forty loved young people and I was always told he was a good Sheriff. I still see Sandy Stephens some. Gene taught our Scout troop how to make Boy Scout Dinners to cook in the coals camping, it is still a favorite of all of my family and they all make them from time to time. You do have some really neat Elk County Connections.

Diane Amberg

My great grandparents were there off and on. My grandparents were there and my father and uncle grew up there.

larryJ

Frawin, I don't remember a Tom or John.  My memory is really hazy sometimes.  I do remember the Zelenys as they were always at the Lynam reunions.  The last I heard of Sandy was that she was living in Missouri.  She and I are a year apart in age and when I was growing up, she and I used to hang out together.  When you see her next time, tell her that her cousin Larry said hi.

Diane, we need names.  Can't make a connection without names.

Larryj

frawin

Larry, I am sorry, Tom and John Weyrauch were your Uncle John's Nephews and spent a lot of time around there,. Tom and John  were about the same age as Bill and Bob Redmond. Sandy maybe at the amnnual Howard High Alumni Banquet, if she is I will tell her hello from you.
Frank Winn

dnalexander

I posted this on a whim. I really wasn't expecting much of a response. Really I was thinking out loud. Between the responses here and the fact that people also, learned about Roll Call is great. I learned more about people I know and don't know.  I think some others did too. This is what brought me to the website initially and what I feel is the unique and best part. Thanks to Teresa and Kjell and all my "forum family". I am really glad I posted this. ;D

David

larryJ

Well, thanks David.  It really brings all of us closer together when we see the connections.  It would be hilarious if a couple of these people who pick on each others comments turned out to be cousins or something.  ;D

Frawin, thanks for telling me who Tom and John were.  I think I kinda remember the names now.

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk