What Could The Objection Be To The Wind Farms?

Started by sixdogsmom, April 30, 2009, 02:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Could somebody please fill us in on the objections that the Devlins have to the wind farm? Or any other objection anybody could possibly have?
Edie

indygal

My impression is that the Devlins are concerned about the quality of life being affected by wind turbines located near residential areas, and they want to provide another perspective to be considered. The literature they shared was reprinted from:

www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Green_Backlash_The_Wind_Turbine_Controversy

The article describes the problems people have encountered when living near a wind farm. Granted, the turbines in this article were located with 1,000-2,000 feet from housing, which is not the case at the proposed wind farm in Elk County. The article also states that water fowl, bats and other wildlife are negatively affected, as are property values.

Another reprinted article states that Westar rates are increasing because of the company's investment in wind farms, as well as in the building of new plants, upgrading existing plants and and pollution control upgrades. A third article describes how the noise from turbines is causing health problems for some Oklahoma residents -- who live within 2,000 feet of a wind farm.

Personally, I support the Caney River wind farm project 100 percent. To my knowledge there are no subdivisions located anywhere near it, and as far as I can tell, the cattle that graze under the turbines near Beaumont don't seem to be disturbed by the noise. Would I want the turbines located near my home? No, but I also wouldn't want a coal plant or a natural gas facility or a nuclear reactor or any other public utility a stone's throw from my back door.

The only downside to the wind farm that I can see is that Elk County won't be getting any of the electricity generated by the farm. Perhaps that's something to be considered? Would it be something that would attract light industry or residential investment if the electrical service was provided by the city or county at a fixed rate for a fixed number of years? But I digress.....

As with any issue, there are at least two sides and usually many more. Again, my impression is that the Devlins are concerned about the environmental and personal impact that wind farms can have, and they simply wanted to present information to the community that they find relevant.

Rudy Taylor

Electricity generation at the Elk County wind farm might well find its way into local homes after Westar, Caney Valley Electric and others purchase it.  Generated electricity goes into the grid then the utility companies buy and sell much like oil or other products.

I finally got a chance to drive out by the wind farm near Beaumont and got my first up-close view of the wind mills.  How impressive! I was glad to see that the cattle were grazing right up to the towers --- there are no fences required.

Sure hope the project goes as planned. It could be the best thing that's happened to Elk County in many years --- right up there with Flint Oak.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

I agree Rudy! Any environmental issue is totally reversible unlike other energy producing schemes. There was a great deal of controvery at Hays, but that has all evaporated or blown away. LOL!  :laugh:
Edie

Varmit

As long as residents of Elk County get the electricty then I can agree with it.  If not, then I would ask why the counties receiving the enegry want the turbines located in elk county and not their own?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

sixdogsmom

Edie

redcliffsw

It seems that the landowner does not
have to allow wind turbines on his property.

redcliffsw

srkruzich

Quote from: redcliffsw on May 02, 2009, 04:26:56 PM

Here's a current opinion about Wind Turbines.

http://lewrockwell.com/orig9/floy8.html

I agree with the article on that.  Windfarms are not a very good means of production of electricity.  The nuclear reactors are the most efficient means and most clean of all technologies. 
Only problem around here is where you can build one.  One you need a large volume water source in order to cool the core.  SO that means they can only be built on large rivers or near oceans. 
Solar only is good in areas like a desert where the sun is shining most of the year.  At night their useless.   WIndfarms only work in certain areas too just like solar.  THey have to be in a certain wind category area.
Elk should definately require the company building them to supply elk county area with a low electric rate.  That should be a major benefit for the residents of the county for the business locating in their area.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

W. Gray

I have often wondered about how the Wolf Creek nuclear reactor in Burlington, Kansas, got sufficient water from a creek.

In Oklahoma, a maintenance man went inside one of the wind units and climbed to the top of one of the wind turbines to provide maintenance. He crawled into a area within the main nacelle housing that is right behind the blades. He was promptly bitten by a rattlesnake.

Apparently, the snake rode up when the wind unit was being put together. (From Discovery Planet Dirty Jobs)
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk