New Poll on the Torture Theme

Started by Warph, April 24, 2009, 10:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

A new Rasmussen Survey suggests that the Democrats are barking up the wrong tree with their obsessive interest in the waterboarding of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. At this point, at least, common sense reigns:

* 58 percent of voters say the Obama administration's recent release of DOJ memos "endangers the national security of the United States." Fewer than half as many 28 percent, think it "helps America's image abroad." (This suggests that Obama's apology tour hasn't been especially well-received, either.)

* 70 percent also say America's legal system either does a good job of weighing security against individual rights, or puts too much emphasis on individual rights at the expense of security. Only 21 percent say the legal system is "too concerned about protecting national security."

* Only 28 percent want the Obama administration to investigate how the Bush administration treated terrorists.  58 percent want no such investigations.

* Obama's decision to close Guantanamo Bay is now disapproved of by a 46-36 margin, with support for Obama's action declining.

No doubt Obama is smart enough to know that he needs to move on.  But will the MoveOn wing of his party let him?.... since that group seems to be running Washington now.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Varmit

At first I was totally against prosecution of those involved in the so-called torture.  However, there may be a silver lining.  quite a few dem.s knew about it and said nothing at the time, some even signed off on it.  If they go after the bush administration they have to be held accountable as well.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Wilma

I can't see why anything should be done now.  The past is past.  Nothing the U.S. has ever done has been as heinous as these prisoners have been.  Shutting it down is enough if not too much.

Something really is wrong with me.  I am agreeing with you guys again.

Varmit

Shutting it down is way too much!!  I think this whole thing is just stupid.  The only thing that happened to those prisoners is that they were made uncomfortable and scared.  Well big freakin deal!!  The methods used by our interrogators are nothing like those used against our troops in any war.  I swear, sometimes I think this country has been neutred.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Catwoman

Warning:  This post unfit for young eyes...Remove everyone younger than 30 from the room...LOL:  I am completely Old Testament on this issue...I think we should treat our prisoners exactly like they treat ours...Use exactly the same torture methods that they have used on our people...When they are found guilty, behead them with dull semitars like they've used on their victims...No, it's not right...No, it's not politically correct...But, I guarantee you - We start treating those dogs like the pond scum sucking larvae that they are, they'll think twice about taking our people prisoner. 

Diane Amberg

In the entire history of man I wonder if that has ever worked. It makes us feel better at the moment, but I really wonder. I know on 9-11 I was so incredibly angry I just didn't know where to put it. My head wouldn't hold it. When we got home from Dover we made sure our ambulances ( we had sent one to NY with a whole Delaware contingent) were restocked and ready for anything. Life goes on. That made me feel much better. Is it better to be respected or feared? Bullies at school are feared but never respected. Or is respect tied into fear?  Are we hurting ourselves by knowing too much too soon all the time. Maybe the media overdoses are not good for us.
The extremely radical element doesn't think like we do. They are wired totally differently from us. Life in general has much less value to them and our lives mean nothing. So they kill ours and we kill theirs. So then where are we?

Catwoman

I understand...I believe it was Ghandi who said, "An eye for an eye does nothing but leave everyone blind"...or something like that.  But, I also know that, in that area of the world, the only thing it appears that they respect is if you're holding a bigger stick than they have.  You're right...Life has little meaning over there.  You can't approach them in the same way that you'd approach another American.  I'm not saying it's the morally right approach...But it would be an approach they'd understand.

Varmit

I hear alot about how violence never solved anything...what complete and utter nonsense.  Violence has solved more of the worlds problems than any other option, just look at history.  Do you really think that the Nazi's would have stopped their butchery if all we had done was impose sanctions and invited them to talks?  Violence, when applied by the right side is the sureset and fastest way to ending a conflict. 

Diane Amberg

Keep in mind "We" didn't get involved at all until Pearl harbor. I agree there are times when eventually you have to resort to violence. I just don't want it to be first in line. There would be a lot more dead people here if every time there was a squabble the police came in shooting. (I know that's not the same thing, but....) I hate it when innocent people are lost to "collateral damage."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk