Coming to a School near you...

Started by Varmit, April 23, 2009, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

Quote from: srkruzich on June 30, 2009, 11:25:31 AM
But quite frankly college is a waste of time IMO with all the "prerequisites" in obtaining a degree. 
Vocational training gets into the nitty gritty and trains while you learn and in doing that produces a qualified graduate for a job.  The ones who graduate with ma or ba degrees are not even close to being qualified as they may not have actual experience in that field.

Boy am i glad that the Engineers who designed all these bridges and buildings out here in California got a college education. 
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Catwoman

Quote from: Anmar on June 30, 2009, 04:13:52 PM
But quite frankly college is a waste of time IMO with all the "prerequisites" in obtaining a degree. 
Vocational training gets into the nitty gritty and trains while you learn and in doing that produces a qualified graduate for a job.  The ones who graduate with ma or ba degrees are not even close to being qualified as they may not have actual experience in that field.

Boy am i glad that the Engineers who designed all these bridges and buildings out here in California got a college education. 
Anmar, I'm with you...I would never turn any child over to nothing more than a vocationally-trained teacher...Yes, vocational training gives you nuts and bolts to work with...But there is so much more to teaching than just attaching A to B...You also have to have a working knowledge of all the other aspects that go into the shaping of each individual child...You're not going to get that in a two year vocational school.  I also would never, ever allow myself to be operated on by a vocational school-trained surgeon.  No way, no how.

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on June 30, 2009, 04:46:08 PM
Quote from: Anmar on June 30, 2009, 04:13:52 PM

Anmar, I'm with you...I would never turn any child over to nothing more than a vocationally-trained teacher...Yes, vocational training gives you nuts and bolts to work with...But there is so much more to teaching than just attaching A to B...You also have to have a working knowledge of all the other aspects that go into the shaping of each individual child...You're not going to get that in a two year vocational school.  I also would never, ever allow myself to be operated on by a vocational school-trained surgeon.  No way, no how.
You allow yourself to be operated on with equipment that is repaired and maintained by Vocationally trained students.  All of the iv pumps, scanners, as well as the OR room equipment.  Don't belittle vocationally trained people.  I have two degrees from schools other than a "uni". AND all my credits are transferrable between unis and other schools.

As for a surgeon, your not getting much in surgeons from traditional colleges. The only ones that are any good are the ones who have years of exp and the ones who go get 1 month training courses in the newest techniques. 

As for engineering, i have a 2 year deg in electronics engineering, and i am a Sr. Unix Engineer as well with no formal training.   

Anyone whos built a 2 or 3 story house understands the stresspoints and load values on walls.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Catwoman

I most certainly was not belittling vocational education...You, in your line of work, serve a function, just as anyone else who holds a job...I just wouldn't want YOU to be my surgeon, if you don't mind! lol  I can gut an animal just as quick as anyone else...Didn't have to go to school to learn to do it...But I would never consider myself to be qualified to operate on a human.

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on June 30, 2009, 07:02:28 PM
I most certainly was not belittling vocational education...You, in your line of work, serve a function, just as anyone else who holds a job...I just wouldn't want YOU to be my surgeon, if you don't mind! lol  I can gut an animal just as quick as anyone else...Didn't have to go to school to learn to do it...But I would never consider myself to be qualified to operate on a human.

LOL well i do handle my critters medical needs.  :P    No Vocational ed has gotten the rep over the years as the losers education.   I couldn't deal with the BS in tradition colleges, wasting my time with core courses when what i wanted was the field courses.  I am able to math, read and write, so why waste my money and time on english, and basic math, sociology and history.  Been through it in highschool. 

I did try to go to traditional college and failed miserably because of the method of teaching.  Lectures are not teaching anything.  I went to a electronics school for engineering deg, and got it and graduated with 4.0 in it.  I have only about 1 semester to graduate Horticulture and my GPA was 3.8 in it.  Yet if i went to UGA, i wouldn't have even passed.  Unless education is reinforced with double the hands on approach, it doesn't work for me.   

Funny thing is when other people are reading instructions on things, i am always into the project and fixing things without it.   

I can rebuild engines, fix most anything without a book or instructions.  Just have that ability which no educator can teach.  A lot of folks just shake their head when i work on a motor, i just take all the bolts off and toss them into a bucket.  LOL  I know mechanics that line each bolt up in sequence so they can put the engine back together again. 

Catwoman

You should go and investigate the different intelligences that are recognized as learning avenues...Last I knew, there were either seven or eight...I think you'd see yourself quite clearly as a tactile learner...i.e.  You learn basically through using your hands.  I think you'd find the study of these differing intelligences to be fascinating.  I have always been interested in brain study...The brain is such a flexible tool.

Diane Amberg

There are 8. Any good teacher can soon recognize the learning direction a student naturally heads for and tries to adapt a program to meet those needs. There's nothing wrong with lecture, it just isn't a good fit for you. I suspect you wouldn't care for art history either because it's all visual. But you might be good at sculpture because it's tactile. However, some things are what they are and you just have to suck it up and get it done. You can only make basic math tactile to a point. Like it or not, some things are just boring memorization. Most boys want to drive, but don't want to learn the drivers manual because that part is ''boring." Too bad, do it anyway.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 01, 2009, 09:09:39 PM
There are 8. Any good teacher can soon recognize the learning direction a student naturally heads for and tries to adapt a program to meet those needs. There's nothing wrong with lecture, it just isn't a good fit for you. I suspect you wouldn't care for art history either because it's all visual. But you might be good at sculpture because it's tactile. However, some things are what they are and you just have to suck it up and get it done. You can only make basic math tactile to a point. Like it or not, some things are just boring memorization. Most boys want to drive, but don't want to learn the drivers manual because that part is ''boring." Too bad, do it anyway.

Well i never even looked at the drivers manual and haven't to this day. :P  got my license.  Art history doesn't interest me in the least, I don't need it.  I am very artistic apparantly in building things.  i can build a dulcimer, or a mountain dulcimer and anything else i desire in woodworking. 

I've done pottery, painting, sketching, pen n ink, made jewelry not cheap stuff but real gold n gems, and quite a few other hobbies. 

I am very visual as well as hands on.  I can look at something and remake it. 

But sitting down and opening a text book ain't going to happen.  I use books as reference to look up specifications and such, not to memorize.  I can't memorize squat.  I barely know my name, social and phone number.  :)

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 01, 2009, 09:09:39 PM
You can only make basic math tactile to a point.

uhmm basic math was just a point.  I can do calculus, trig, geometry i get into quantum physics, physics, chemistry, bio chem, and electronics.   :)

Diane Amberg

So you are perfectly normal, for you. Most people are a combination of learning styles....you are heavy on the tactile side. I suspect you loved chem lab, but thought learning the valences were a pain, and learning the atomic chart was too. You never looked at the driver's manual? EEEK!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk