Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 37 – 40
Highlights:

See 4 kinds of people! The wicked who hate and hurt those who stand for God and His Word (37:11-16; 38:1-6); the disobedient who want God's help without repenting or changing (37:1-3,17; 38:14,20-21); Jeremiah, the faithful one who willingly suffers for God (40:1-6); and the compromiser, the "puppet" governor (40:5-16).
When Jeremiah was entered into the dungeon, and into the cabins, and Jeremiah had remained there many days; Then Zedekiah the king sent, and took him out: and the king asked him secretly in his house, and said, Is there any word from the LORD? And Jeremiah said, There is: for, said he, thou shalt be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon (Jer. 37:16-17).

There is no doubt that there is a Word from the Lord. As a matter of fact, in examining the Old Testament of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, the statement The Word of the Lord came unto me or similar words, are recorded more than 3,800 times. As a matter of fact, in this same version of the Holy Bible, there are 773,692 words from the Lord. They are recorded in 31,173 verses. These verses are located in 1,189 chapters. Those chapters are then found in 66 books. The books are divided into two major sections which are called the Old Testament and the New Testament.

What Zedekiah had wondered was if there were a Word of the Lord for him. Jeremiah answered the king with a resounding yes. He didn't have to wonder anymore. Likewise, with the above information, there is no doubt that the Lord left a Word for us as well. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (II Tim. 3:16).

Without question, the Word of God is meant to speak to us today. The Lord intended His Word to be for our "reproof, correction and instruction" just as much as Paul intended it to be for Timothy's. We must learn to allow God's Word to do the job for which it was created. It is intended to be a life manual to guide humans to Christ. Once they have obtained redemption, then it should still be a moral guide in their daily lives.

To many today, the Word of God has very little value. They don't understand that this Bible is God's Word to mankind. It is as if God is speaking to man in the flesh.

Many shy away from it today. They say it is outdated in its laws and statutes. They believe that maybe, at one time, it was relevant to society, but that was years ago. Others may hold to parts of the Bible, but leave the rest behind. The truth is, we need the whole Bible in today's society to live our lives as believers for Christ. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek (Rom. 1:16).

It is the Bible that guides man to the cross of Calvary. It is through the Word of God that the sins of man are revealed. It is through the reading and studying of God's Word that the unbeliever finds his way to the path to salvation.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God (I Cor. 1:18).

Thought for Today:

Following a false way ultimately comes to a bitter end.
Christ Revealed:

By Jeremiah, who stood as a faithful witness to the revealed will of God (Jer. 38:2-9). Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness (testimony) against Jesus, to put Him to death (Matt. 26:59).
Word Studies:

37:16 cabins, cells; 38:4 weakeneth the hands of, discourages; 38:12 cast clouts, worn-out clothes; 38:19 mock, abuse; 39:18 for a prey, as a prize; 40:4 forbear, do what you prefer.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Gov. Nathan Deal (GA) • Country: Singapore (4 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Chinese and Malay • Religious freedom • 54% Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese Traditional Religion; 15% Muslim; 9% Protestant; 4% Catholic; 3% Hindu; .5% Sikh; .2% Baha'i; 14.3% None/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for our nation, that it would truly be a Christian nation (Ps. 67:1-7).
Optional Reading: III John 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 90:12

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 41 – 44
Highlights:

A murderous plot carried out as greed and betrayal change the course of the remnant (chap. 41). Graphically warned not to go to Egypt, the people accuse Jeremiah of lying and he is forcibly taken with them (chap. 42-43). The reason for their destruction? Thus saith the Lord (44:23).
Then they said to Jeremiah, The LORD be a true and faithful witness between us, if we do not even according to all things for the which the LORD thy God shall send thee to us. Whether it be good, or whether it be evil, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God, to whom we send thee; that it may be well with us, when we obey the voice of the LORD our God (Jer. 42:5-6).

Words can sometimes come all too easy. They are often spoken without careful thinking, or without any intentions of fulfilling the promises behind them. Frivolous speech has become normal in our society. We have adopted the bad habit of telling people what they want to hear instead of giving them the truth.

There is little value placed on the truth today. Deception has become commonly accepted. We say that "little white lies" do no harm. Nowhere is this more apparent than in advertising. There is always fine print included in every offer. Another trend today is that of creative resizing and repackaging. Manufacturers lower quantities or weights, instead of raising prices. We all notice a price increase, but few of us notice a smaller package. If you don't believe this, try to buy a "half gallon" of ice cream. With most brands, there is no half gallon any more. No matter what you call them, these deceptions, "half-truths" and "white lies," are all lies, plain and simple. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God (John 3:21).

It goes without saying then, that a person's word does not have the value that it once had. Trust is not freely given in today's society, instead it must be earned.

The promises we make should not be made to be broken. We should always intend to follow through. God always keeps His promises, and He expects us to keep ours. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

In these verses from the Book of Jeremiah, we find a group seeking counsel from the Lord. They tell Jeremiah they will do whatever the Lord says do. However, their minds were already made up on their course of action. It is not wise to make a commitment to God unless you are sure you intend to keep your word.

As believers in Christ, it should be a desire of our heart to do all that we commit ourselves to do. Our word not only represents our integrity, but many will look to our status as a believer when our words and our actions don't match. We may be labeled as a liar, and rightfully so. As Christ followers, what we do reflects on the whole body of Christ.

If something happens and we do not keep our word, we need to do our best to own our actions. Repent of the unfulfilled promise to God, and ask forgiveness of those to whom a promise was made but not kept.

And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil (Luke 11:4).

Thought for Today:

It is good to know that evil's victories do not last. God always wins in the end.
Christ Revealed:

By My servants the prophets (Jer. 44:4). God the Father called Jesus My Servant, whom I have chosen (Matt. 12:17-18; Acts 3:20-21), and Jesus was recognized as that Prophet that should come into the world (John 6:14; see also Matt. 21:11; Luke 24:19).
Word Studies:

41:1 seed royal, royal family; 41:9 pit, cistern; 41:14 cast about, turned around; 42:18 execration, curse, object of disgust and shame; 42:20 dissembled, were deceitful; 43:3 setteth thee on, incites or influences you.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Mel Watt (NC) • Country: Slovakia (5 million) central Europe • Major languages: Slovak and Hungarian • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant; 4% Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Encourage others to praise the Lord throughout the day (Ps. 67:5).
Optional Reading: Jude 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 45 – 48
Highlights:

Man has a tendency to seek glory for one's self rather then stay under the authority of the Lord (45:5). Remember Genesis 12:3? Through Jeremiah, God sends a special word for the nations, beginning with Egypt (chap. 46); Philistia (chap. 47); and Moab (chap. 48).
We have heard the pride of Moab, (he is exceeding proud) his loftiness, and his arrogancy, and his pride, and the haughtiness of his heart (Jer. 48:29).

Over and over again in the Scriptures, God warns us against the sin of pride. But when he ws strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction: for he transgressed against the LORD his God, and went into the temple of the LORD to burn incense upon the altar of incense (2 Chron. 26:16). Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Prov. 16:18). He has made it clear that pride blinds you to the Truth that is God. Pride causes your focus to shift from God to self.

Does this mean that God does not want us to experience pleasure upon the successful completion of a task? Of course not! God wants us to give our best efforts in everything we do, and the only way we will be able to do that is if we are able to feel that rush of personal satisfaction at the end of a job well done. Pride comes into play when you look at something and say "look what 'I' did" instead of "look at what God enabled me to do." Pride presents a significant stumbling block in our quest to serve God. Whenever you think, "God needs me to," you know pride is starting to rear its ugly head. We need God; God doesn't need us. God loves us, and He wants us to be involved, but none of us are necessary to carry out His plan.

Approach each day with humble prayer, and open yourself to the role that God has for you now. End each day with thankfulness for the tasks He has allowed you to accomplish.

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith (Rom. 12:3).

Thought for Today:

We will reap good fruit if we plant good seed.

Christ Revealed:

As the One who lovingly corrects His people (Jer. 46:28). Whom the Lord loveth He hasteneth (disciplines), and scourgeth (whips) every son whom He receiveth (Heb. 12:6).

Word Studies:

46:4 brigandines, armor; 46:11 daughter, people; 48:2 be cut down, perish; 48:10 deceitfully, negligently; half-heartedly; 48:19 espy, watch; 48:41 Kerioth is, Cities are.

Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing, Nashville, TN • Internet Radio: In Memory of Don Blowers • Country: Slovenia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian • Freedom of religion • 81% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for the privilege of publishing His Word (Ps. 68:11).

Optional Reading: Revelation 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 49 – 50
Highlights:

Jeremiah delivers a prophecy concerning Ammon (49:1-6); Edom (49:7-22); Damascus (49:23-27); Kedar, Hazor (49:28-33); and Elam (49:34-39). Next a prophecy of judgment on Babylon and hope for Israel, Judah, and the remnant (chap. 50). The Good Shepherd speaks of wayward shepherds and His sheep (50:6).
The word that the LORD spake against Babylon and against the land of the Chaldeans by Jeremiah the prophet. Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard; publish, and conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is confounded, Merodach is broken in pieces; her idols are confounded, her images are broken in pieces (Jer. 50:1-2).

In today's verses, we read a reference to setting up the standard. Bible commentators reveal to us that the word used here represents a place to rally around. This would be some sort of banner or flag. Therefore, The setting up of the standard could mean the raising of the flag.

The term "standard" is seen quite a bit in the Old Testament. It is mentioned often in connection with the tribes of Israel. It appears that each individual tribe had their own identifying markings on a flag or banner. Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch (Num. 2:2).

Every nation in the world has a national flag that represents them. Every state in the United States of America has a state flag that represents them. You can even find sports teams, corporations and civic organizations that have their own flags.

A flag can sometimes reveal much information about a nation, or about the people of that nation. The flag of the United States tells much about us as a country. The thirteen stripes on the flag represent the original thirteen colonies that came together to declare their independence from England. The fifty stars on the flag represent the number of states in the United States. The number and pattern of the stars has changed multiple times over the course of more than two hundred years as states have been added.

A flag becomes a symbol of who or what it represents. The flag of a nation will spark feelings of patriotism from the people of that nation. Some flags, when seen, can spark great anger or hostility because of what they represent to certain people. For instance, the swastika of Nazi Germany brings about terrible feelings from just about the entire world. The atrocities done to the Jews and others should never be forgotten. We need to remember such injustice so as to not repeat the sins of the past. But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions (Heb. 10:32).

All this has been said to show the importance of a flag. The Lord has placed a flag in the life of every believer. The choice is up to us as to whether we let it fly high enough that all the world knows that we belong to Christ, or whether we conceal it so that we will not be known as a believer. Denying Christ will never allow us to be fruitful for Him. We must let the world know to whom we belong.

Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny Me before men, him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven (Matt. 10:32-33).

Thought for Today:

Hatred, suspicion and strife are in the camp of the wicked.
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer who pleads our cause (Jer. 50:34). Blessed (Praised and extolled and thanked) be the Lord God of Israel; for He hath visited and redeemed His people (Luke 1:68). It is Christ . . . who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34).
Word Studies:

49:1 their king, Ammonite god known as Malcham/Malcam, Milcom, Molech or Moloch, to whom children were sacrificed through fire; 50:5 thitherward, toward it; 50:31 visit, punish.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Country: Solomon Islands (455,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 120 indigenous languages Religious freedom • 66% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 4% spirit worship, ancestor worship, and sorcery • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for the privilege of publishing His Word (Ps. 68:11).
Optional Reading: Revelation 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Lamentations 3 – 5
Highlights:

There is always hope in God (3:21-23)! Wait, but seek Him (3:25-26), He hears (3:55-57)! He's our inheritance (3:24); lawyer (3:58); and judge (3:59). The same forever (5:19). Discipline is involved in worship (3:27). Why did this happen (4:13)? God's anger satisfied (4:11); His unfailing love sets us free (5:21-22).
The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in Him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh Him (Lamentations 3:24-25).

Through all the pain, suffering and sorrow that Jeremiah and the Children of Israel endured, Jeremiah still put his faith in the Almighty Lord. No matter how long God's wrath lasted, Jeremiah lived by faith that God was just and fair in all things. He knew in his heart (saith my soul) who God was. Therefore, he put his hope in Him. He may not have understood in his mind why the suffering and anguish was prolonged, but he held no doubt in his Creator.

Living by faith is not an easy thing to do when we don't understand why something is happening to us. When these types of events are happening in our lives, we need to remember that God has His reasons why they are happening. Even though we may never know what those reasons are, the times that He does reveal His work in our lives should give us the hope and strength to carry us through those times when he does not. For we walk by faith, not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).

This world is filled with evil. We contend with it every day in the flesh, and must also remember that it is always from Satan. His demons are waiting to catch us when we are vulnerable. Disease, hunger, neglect, mental illness, pride, anger, jealousy and the like surround us at every turn. For, we live in a fallen world that is destined for ultimate destruction. Yet, there is hope in the Living God who sent His one and only Son to die that we may live eternally with Him.

In Jesus, we find agape love greater than any love we have ever known or heard of. Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love (1 John 4:7-8). Thus, as children of the King, we know this love and are called to show this same love to all in this fallen world. Jesus shines His light of love and redemption in the darkness of this cruel world every day through us, His children, as we embrace Him and His plan for us.

Who are we in the face of cancer? Who are we when confronted by a jealous spouse? Who are we when temptation takes us to our knees? We are the ones shining the light of Jesus in the darkness, planting seeds of hope and praying that God will water those seeds and open blind eyes to His love and redemption; praying that He will heal the sick, and that He will deliver us from temptation. We are strong. We are bold. We are sons and daughters of the One who died for us and who desires that none should perish. And when we fall, our Savior is waiting to catch us and dust us off and set us back on His solid rock, ready to face a harder challenge in life ahead, straight and steady on His path.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the LORD, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the LORD (1 Corinthians 15:58).

Thought for Today:

God's Word reveals the path to life and liberty in Christ Jesus.
Christ Revealed:

As the merciful Savior (Lam. 3:22). Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life (Jude 1:21).
Word Studies:

3:5 builded against, besieged; 3:9 inclosed, blocked; 3:14 a derision, a laughingstock; 3:15 wormwood, bitterness; 3:29 putteth his mouth in the dust, speaks humbly; 4:10 sodden, boiled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Marlin A. Stutzman (IN) Country: South Korea (46.9 million) in northeastern Asia • Major languages: Korean and English • Religious freedom • 48% Christian; 40% Buddhist; 3% Confucian; 9% Shamanism; Chodogyo, Other • Prayer Suggestion: Your prayer should always be to please the Lord (Ps. 73:25).
Optional Reading: Revelation 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 1

Highlights:

Ezekiel's vision of God's administration; his call; warning of judgment.
Moreover He said unto me, Son of man, all My words that I shall speak unto thee receive in thine heart, and hear with thine ears. And go . . . tell them, Thus saith the Lord (Ezek. 3:10-11).

In a vision Ezekiel was given a scroll, and was told to eat it. Although the scroll was full of lamentations, and mourning, and woe, it was as honey for sweetness in his mouth (2:10; 3:3).

This vision foretold how Ezekiel would be satisfied with the Word of God, even though it revealed the sorrows that would befall the people of Israel for rejecting his message. The prophet's task was not easy, for they were a rebellious people. But God never expects anyone to proclaim His Word in his own strength. As Ezekiel received God's Word in his heart, he became strong in the Lord to withstand the opposition.

It has often been said that God does not call the equipped, but He equips the called. That is to say, God will give us everything that we need to accomplish the mission that He has laid out before us. Our skills can be useful to God. After all, He gave them to us. However, a particular skill is not necessary to serve God. We don't need any great gift to make available to Him. We are enough. Our lives are enough. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service (Rom. 12:1).

It is the responsibility of each Christian to faithfully tell others the good news that Christ died to save sinners who will trust Him as their Savior. We must learn to share our faith in Christ at every opportunity given. If the world is to know about the Gospel story, they will most likely hear it from a believer sharing his testimony of commitment to Christ. We must carry this message to the world. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 28:19). Evangelism is one of our most important tasks as a believer and began with just 12 men carrying the Gospel message to the world. It is true all will not hear our message, but we must do all we possibly can to carry it to the world just the same.

I have given them Thy Word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world (John 17:14). But be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (16:33).

Thought for Today:

Those who remain close to the Lord need not fear the ridicule of the wicked.
Christ Revealed:

In a likeness as the appearance of a man, who sat upon the throne (Ezek. 1:26-28). This foreshadowed God who appears as a Man, the Man Christ Jesus (I Tim. 2:5).
Word Studies:

1:18 dreadful, awesome, wonderful; 1:20 up over against, close beside; 3:12 rushing, tumult, shouting; 3:14 heat, anger; 3:26 dumb, unable to speak to warn them; 4:16 break the staff, cut off the supply.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Cunningham Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Ander Crenshaw (FL) and Rep. Al Green (TX) • Country: South Korea (46.9 million) in northeastern Asia • Major languages: Korean and English • Religious freedom • 48% Christian; 40% Buddhist; 3% Confucian; 9% Shamanism; Chodogyo, Other • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord with all of your heart, and tell others of the marvelous things He has done (Ps. 73:28).
Optional Reading: Revelation 6

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.
Memory Verse for the Week: Proverbs 3:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 5
Highlights:

Famine, pestilence, and sword impending; remnant to be spared; third vision of the glory; visions of slaying in Jerusalem.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain (Ezek. 8:4).

When Ezekiel was studying to become a priest in Jerusalem, he was taken to Babylon as a slave. He had dedicated his life to God and could have become bitter over the fact that he was dragged off to a foreign country, hundreds of miles away from his homeland. But there is where God could prepare him for his prophetic ministry.

God will often call us out of our comfort zone. Many times we will have preconceived notions of what we think God wants us to do. However, His plan for our lives may be totally different. God may be calling you to a foreign mission field or to your hometown. The important thing is to let Him do the calling. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto Me, to bear My Name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for My Name's sake (Acts 9:15-16).

In a vision, this prophet of God beheld . . . the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy (Ezek. 8:2-3). The idol had been placed in the inner court of the Temple near the north gate.

Immediately after Ezekiel beheld the image of jealousy, the glory of the God of Israel was gone (9:3). Failure to honor God and adhere to His Word always opens the way for something to replace Him and His Word. These substitutes are not always what you expect. Anything that becomes more important than God in your life can fall in this category. It becomes easier to turn our backs to God when we tell ourselves that the things we are doing are legitimate. These substitutes for God and His Word may be drugs, alcohol, or other devices of the devil. However, they may also include normal life activities like work, family activities, and hobbies. Nothing can replace God in our lives. Anything that does becomes sin. As long as people cling to their false gods, the Lord will be as deaf to their cries as are the idols to which they cling. But the child of faith is confident that God can use him for His service even under the most adverse circumstances.

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God (Rom. 6:13).

Thought for Today:

To honor God and His Word is the highest privilege of every Christian.
Christ Portrayed:

By the man clothed in linen (Ezek. 9:2-11) who represents Christ as High Priest, marking His people to be spared from the flaming sword of vengeance. Seeing then that we have a great High Priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast (firmly) our profession (confession) (Heb. 4:14; also Rev. 7:2-3).
Word Studies:

5:16 staff, supply; 6:4 images, idols; 7:26 ancients, aged; 8:12 chambers of his imagery, shrine of his own carved idol.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Sen. Jim DeMint (SC) • Country: Spain (39.6 million) in southwestern Europe • Major languages: Castilian Spanish and Catalan • Limited religious freedom • 85% Roman Catholicism; 1% Islam; .5% Protestant; .5% Jehovah's Witness; 13% Other (Mormon, Jewish, Secular Humanist) • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers with a spirit of thankfulness and praise to the Lord (Ps. 79:13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 7

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:2-3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 10:1-28
Highlights:

Visions of the altar fire; judgment upon lying leaders; captivity near.
Then the glory of the Lord departed from off the threshold of the house . . . And the glory of the Lord went up from the midst of the city, and stood upon the mountain which is on the east side of the city (Ezek. 10:18; 11:23).

The Israelites had turned to various forms of idol worship and God would no longer dwell in their midst. Just like Israel, we may also turn our confidence and dependence to other things or people besides God. This process does not happen overnight. It is a common thing to seek counsel from someone we respect and look for guidance in other places besides God and His Word. But when we study the Word of God, we find that leaning on other things separates us from God. It should be the world from which we separate. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you (II Cor. 6:17).

In a vision, Ezekiel saw the glory of the Lord (Ezek. 10:18) depart from over the Holy of Holies and move slowly toward the exit of the Temple. Finally, His presence departed from the city and went to the Mount of Olives, lingering there for a while, as if waiting to see if Israel would repent and return to Him. But no one seemed to recognize that the Lord had withdrawn His presence from their midst.

It is amazing how far away from God our lives can be and yet we still deceive ourselves into thinking everything is fine. If we turn our backs on God, or place our trust on other things, we can't expect God to always be there whenever we are ready to meet Him. He is not a slave to mankind in that we can do anything we want, and expect Him to have His blessings on it. We cannot expect to live our lives serving our own carnal desires and still think we are serving God. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24). We must make God the sole Master of our lives and serve Him only.

Israel lost their most precious possession — the presence of the Lord. They could no longer say: In Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore (Ps. 16:11).

May it not be said of you or me: This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoureth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me (Matt. 15:8).

Thought for Today:

Unless we are submissive to God's Word, worship is empty and useless.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who gives a new Spirit (Ezek. 11:19). This is the promise fulfilled when we accept Jesus as Savior and Lord of our lives. God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts (Gal. 4:4-7).
Word Studies:

12:3 stuff for removing, belongings to take into exile; 12:23 effect of every vision, fulfillment, every prophecy will come to pass; 13:9 upon, against; 13:18 women that sew pillows to all armholes, false prophetesses who sew magic charms upon the wrists of garments; 13:21 kerchiefs, veils; 13:23 divine divinations, practice witchcraft visions.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Donna Bell • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Rep. John W. Olver (MA) • Country: Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) (19 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern tip of India • Major languages: Sinhala and Tamil • Christianity suppressed • 69% Buddhist; 15% Hindu; 8% Christian (mostly Catholic); 7% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Cry out to God daily for mercy (Ps. 86:3).
Optional Reading: Revelation 8

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:2-3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 20 – 21
Highlights:

God so appalled - He refuses to talk! Why and the consequences (chap. 20). But God is merciful (20:44). Rather have God or Babylon be your enemy (21:3)? A fork in the road. Babylon heads for Judah (21:118-23). The people openly sin with no shame (21:24).
But they rebelled against Me, and would not hearken unto Me: they did not every man cast away the abominations of their eyes, neither did they forsake the idols of Egypt: then I said, I will pour out My fury upon them, to accomplish My anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt (Ezek. 20:8).

In Chapter 20 of the Book of Ezekiel, the Lord briefly recounts some of the history of the nation of Israel. The main theme in this historical retrospective is how God had repeatedly blessed Israel, but after the passing of a seemingly short span of time, Israel would once again be found turning away from the Lord to worship false gods.

The Lord begins here with the deliverance of the nation of Israel from their Egyptian slavery. There is great beauty in how God treated Israel. The Lord Himself uses the word chose. What could be better in life than to be chosen of God?

Not only did God deliver them out of bondage, the Word of God records that He had prepared a homeland for them. This land is described as flowing with milk and honey and as the glory of all lands in verse six of this chapter. The Lord had definitely prepared a beautiful home for Israel.

How did Israel respond? In what manner did she repay the Lord? How did the people show their appreciation for what the Lord had done?

Israel's response included falling into the very trap that the Lord had warned them against. The people held onto their idols from Egypt. They chose to look to false gods that they could see and touch. The Word of God is packed with warnings against the practice of idolatry. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience (Col. 3:5-6).

As can clearly be seen in the Word of God, punishment is to come upon those that are disobedient to God. At times, the Lord has sent judgment Israel's way. However, God has also extended much mercy in response to the rebellion of His people. God is usually found sending mercy before judgment. Both are meant to call the recipient back into a restored fellowship with our heavenly Father. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).

It is always easy to look at a situation from the outside and pass judgment upon it. We may look at Israel and ask, "how in the world is this possible?" We may think we could never fall prey to turning to idolatry right after receiving a great blessing from the Lord. However, this happens more often than you might think in the life of the Believer. We must be on guard at all times as the devil is tricky. He creates these types of situations when we are the least on our guard. He draws many believers into this very trap.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it (John 8:44).

Thought for Today:

Make sure when you share your witness that you speak the truth in love.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will gather His people from all nations and will purge out the false from the true (Ezek. 20:34-38). When the Son of Man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory: And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats. . . . And these (goats) shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal (Matt. 25:31-46; also 3:12).
Word Study:

20:5 I lifted up mine hand, I bound myself by an oath; 21:2 drop thy (your) word toward, pour out your words against; 21:13 the sword contemn even the rod, there is a testing in store by the sword since you despised the rod (refused to be corrected).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Dorothy W. Ralston • Government Officials: Gov. Chris Christie (NJ), Rep. Danny Davis (IL), Rep. William Keating (MA), Rep. Sandy Levin (MI), Rep. John Kline, Jr. (MN) • Country: Suriname (431,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: Dutch and English • Very limited religious freedom • 27% Hindu; 22% Roman Catholic; 20% Protestant; 20% Muslim; 6% witchcraft and spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Begin every day with prayer (Ps. 88:13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 22 – 24
Highlights:

Ezekiel's mission: Denounce their terrible deeds in public (chap. 22). Who will save them (22:30)? Two sisters betray God, causing destruction (23:30,46-49). Who are they (23:4)? The Israelite's complete corruption in a boiling pot. Judgment follows (24:1-14). Did you get the message when Ezekiel's wife died (24:20-24)?
And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before Me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none (Ezek. 22:30).

Is this not a sad proclamation from the Lord? It would be hard for most of us to believe that there could not be at least one person found that was worthy enough to meet the Lord's qualifications. Surely, there was one that could have stepped into this place.

It is always possible that there was one that was qualified in most areas but just fell shy of meeting the standard. Maybe there was one that was qualified but was unwilling to undertake the task. For whatever reason, none could be found to fill this place.

Is it the same in our society today? Could it be possible that God is looking for someone to fill a role, and there is no one able...or willing? We would like to think that could not happen in our day and time. There are so many Christians in the world today; surely there would be someone to serve in the place that needed to be filled. After all, it is the place of the Christian to be in the Lord's service. Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when He cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them (Luke 12:37).

Our churches normally have all the workers they need plus some. There are often more people to teach Sunday School than there are children to be taught. There are more people on the Visitation Team than there are people to visit. Hold on, that is what we wish were true. That's actually backwards. Most churches need more teachers, more people to visit others, more volunteers in general, more funds, and pretty much more of anything else that can help them meet the spiritual needs of the community.

This is just one example today of where people are needed to step into service for the Lord. There are countless more. Missionaries are needed to go to inner cities, rural communities, Indian reservations, jails, prisons, hospitals and foreign lands. People are needed to donate time at shelters, food banks, low income day care centers, senior centers and countless other places.

Some may say that they have nothing to offer at these places. That is not true. Anyone can offer a word of kindness to a down-trodden individual. If we can't go, we may be able to donate money, food or materials. If we are unable to do that, then we can pray. Almost any ministry out there will tell you that one of their greatest needs is for prayer warriors to intercede on their behalf to the Lord. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

Therefore, let us pray and ask the Lord to lead us to a place that we can fill. It is true that there are many tasks at hand to accomplish. There is no human entity that has more serving or giving power than the Church. As individuals we can't do everything, but each of us can do something. If we honestly give ourselves over to God's service, then there will be enough Christians to fill every empty slot.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues (I Cor. 12:28).

Thought for Today:

Remember God never tempts us to do evil, only Satan does that.
Christ Revealed:

In the denunciation of Israel's false prophets (Ezek. 22:25-28). Compare these words with those Christ spoke against the scribes and Pharisees. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees (Matt. 23:13-36).
Word Study:

22:7 set light by father and mother, treated parents with contempt; dealt by oppression with the stranger, treated foreigners with oppression and extortion; vexed the fatherless and the widow, wronged the orphan and the widow; 22:12 gifts, bribes; 23:16 doted upon, lusted for, was infatuated with; 23:20 doted upon their paramours, lusted after their male prostitutes; 24:17 tire, turban.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Official: Sen. Daniel Inouye (HI) • Country: Swaziland (985,000) in southern Africa • Major languages: English and siSwati • Religious freedom • 67% Protestant; 19% animism, spirit possession cults, and divination; 11% Roman Catholic; 3% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord amidst trouble and He will deliver you (Ps. 91:15).
Optional Reading: Revelation 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 145:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk