Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 5 – 9
Highlights:

God sings a love song to His beloved Israel (5:1-7). The brilliance of His holiness reveals the darkness of our sin (6:5). Send me – Will you go (6:8)? A divine principle: God always leaves a seed (6:13)! The prophecy of Jesus, the Light of the world (7:14-16; 9:1-7); Whatever the circumstances, keep trusting in God (8:20).
Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged. Also I heard the voice of the LORD, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us? Then said I, Here am I; send me (Isa. 6:5-8).

In that situation, many of us might feel as Isaiah was feeling. As a matter of fact, we should feel less than worthy in the presence of the Almighty God. It should most definitely be a humbling experience to be before God.

Isaiah knew his inner self as well as, or better than, anyone else. He knew of his sinful nature. He knew the world that he lived in, and the difficulties it would offer in serving the Lord.

What was Isaiah's answer to his problems? He turned to the only place where he was assured to get help. Truthfully, he turned to the only place that could help him. He turned to God. Isaiah prayed to the Lord and confessed the things that were preventing or hindering him from serving Him. He brought all his needs before God knowing an answer would come. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9). When we pray a sincere prayer to God, we can always count on an answer to come.

Isaiah had a problem with his speech being unclean, (vs.5). Words can be dangerous things. Words have divided families, caused wars and destroyed the character of many. The Bible warns us several times about the danger of the spoken word. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell (James 3:5-6).

God sent an angelic being to touch Isaiah's lips with a holy fire to purify and empower his words. Because of this, he was able to speak as few before or after him ever had or ever would. He became God's instrument to proclaim God's message before kings and common people alike.

Just as words spoken wrongly can be dangerous, the right words, especially God's Words, can do a tremendous amount of good. These words will heal families, bring about peace and edify that which is right in the Lord's way. When spoken prayerfully, we can accomplish many great things with words.

We must seek the Lord to guide the words we use, and pray He will guide what we say, when we say it, how we say it and who we say it to.

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man (Col. 4:6).

Thought for Today:

God is continually calling for those willing to serve Him.
Christ Revealed:

Isaiah reveals that a Child shall be born; a Son shall be given; and that the government shall be upon His shoulder (Is. 9:6). The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever (Rev. 11:15).
Word Studies:

5:1 vineyard, the Israelites; 5:5 go to, listen to Me; 5:23 reward, bribes; 7:16 abhorrest, hate, despise; 8:21 hardly bestead, sorely distressed, hard pressed; 9:9 stoutness, arrogance.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Rev. Gladys Davis • Government Official: Rep. Dan Bornen (OK) • Country: North Korea (22.2 million) in northeastern Asia • Major language: Korean • Violent oppression against all religions • 68% atheist; 15% Ch'ondogyo; 14% Other Traditional; 2% Buddhist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to be sensitive to give God the praise for everything you do (Ps. 40:16).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 10

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 10 – 14
Highlights:

Check this out: Israel angers God; God uses unjust kings to punish Israel; God's anger subsides; God punishes unjust kings for harming Israel (chap. 10); A prophetic picture of Christ returning in glory (chap. 11; Lk 1:31-32; Acts 15:15-16); David's Son (11:10); The Holy One of Israel (chap. 12); Our strength, song, and salvation (12:2); Lucifer, 'day-star,' Satan (chap. 14).
And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD (Isa. 11:1-2).

There are many Old Testament prophecies that point us toward the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ, in the New Testament. A few of these can be found in the Book of Isaiah. This prophecy in particular reveals much to us about not only Jesus, but the Holy Spirit as well.

There are many prophecies that foretell the earthly heritage of Christ. Genealogy is an important thing in the Word of God. Sometimes we refer to genealogies as the "begat" Scriptures. There are many places in the Bible where particular genealogies are laid out leading up to, or back from, a certain individual.

We see in the New Testament that two of the Gospels, Matthew and Luke, record genealogies of Jesus. This prophecy shares that Jesus will come from the line of Jesse. To be even more specific, Jesus was a descendant of David. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:32). Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh (Romans 1:3).

This prophecy also tells us that the spirit of the Lord will empower Christ. It is important to remember that Christ is not some angel given special rank. He is no mere created being. He is God the Son made flesh on earth. Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us (Matt. 1:23).

There are also some descriptive terms of how the empowerment of the Holy Spirit will be upon Christ. He will have wisdom and understanding. This will enable Him to discern right from wrong. He will be gifted with ability to give good counsel. He will have the might to stand against any enemy. He will have great knowledge of not only godly things, but everything He might ever need information about. Finally, He will have fear or reverence towards God the Father.

These traits listed are sometimes referred to as the seven-fold ministry of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit manifested these fruits in the life of Christ. If we live in obedience to the Word of God, the Holy Spirit will allow these fruits to work in our lives as well.

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him (Eph. 1:17).

Thought for Today:

Those who make laws to justify evil will be condemned.
Christ Revealed:

As the Descendant of Jesse, King David's father (Is. 11:1; comp. Luke 3:23,31-32). Isaiah 11 reveals Christ's coming earthly rule of righteousness. One day soon Jesus will return to earth in all the fullness of His glory and will be accompanied by His angels. Then He will set up the millennial Kingdom of His creation; this will be the beginning of His rightful eternal rule over His creation (Matt. 25:31-46; also (Rev. 20-22).
Word Studies:

10:1 grievousness, oppression, injustice; 10:12 high, proud; 10:20 stay, rely; 10:22 consumption, destruction; 10:33 lop, cut off; 14:16 narrowly look upon, gaze at.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Chris S Murphy (CT) • Country: Norway (4.45 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Norwegian • Religious freedom • 87.8% Evangelical Lutheran; 3.8% Other Protestant and Catholic; 3.2% None; 5.2% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jehovah's Witness) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray to be considerate to the less fortunate (Ps. 41:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 15 – 21
Highlights:

God warned, 'you'll be sorry if you mess with My children' (Gen. 12:3)! Learn a lesson. His judgements and why against Moab are in Isaiah 15 – 16; Damascus chap. 17; Ethiopa chap. 18; Egypt chap. 19 – 20; Babylon, Edom, Arabia chap. 21; God threshes and winnows our lives to remove the chaff and draw us closer to Him (21:10).
The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at His presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom (Isa. 19:1-2).

At one time, Egypt was a great world power. The armies of the pharaohs had been feared and respected all over the world. They were not only a military power, but they had commercial success as well.

The Egyptians had not always been at odds with the ways of God. There had been a time when Joseph, who was anointed of God, had been the top adviser to the ruler of the nation. The children of Israel had even been given supplies and good lands during a long famine.

However, that was a long time ago, and in the years that followed a new pharaoh had come to power. He had feared that one day God's people would become a great nation. As a result of his fear, the children of Israel had been enslaved to the Egyptians.

God then raised up Moses to be a deliverer for His people. During God's people's exodus of Egypt, the armies of Egypt were all but destroyed by God in the Red Sea. This brought the great world power to its knees for many years.

Over her long history, Egypt was visited by many great men of God. Abraham, Joseph and Moses had, at one time or another, all spoken before Egypt's leaders. The Egyptian leaders recognized that the God of these men was the only true God. At times, they even showed respect towards God. However, it never lasted. If only Egypt had heeded godly counsel, the nation could have become followers of God. Instead, they chose to seek after worldly things rather than godly things. And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you (Luke 12:29-31).

Egypt had a deep history in the Word of God. Though at times she was an ally of God's, most often she was an enemy of God's people. She was brought down and rebuilt, only to be brought down again. Egypt had many opportunities to turn to God, but chose not to. Then one day, all those opportunities were gone. Ancient Egypt stands as an example for us, reinforcing God's statement, My spirit shall not always strive with man (Gen. 6:3).

Turn to Jesus while the opportunity is there. If we turn away too many times, our chances may very well run out.

Paul declared, behold now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation (II Cor. 6:2).

Thought for Today:

Does your heart cry out like Isaiah's for sinners who are God's enemies?
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will sit on the throne of David (Is. 16:5). The angel Gabriel told the virgin Mary that the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:32-33). Christ also is revealed as the Saviour (Is. 19:20; comp. Matt. 1:21; Luke 2:11).
Word Studies:

16:3 bewray, betray; 16:11 my bowels, my inner being, heart; 17:11 a heap, a failure; 19:8 angle, hooks; 21:14 prevented with their bread him that fled, gave food and water to the fugitives.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Pres. Barak Obama (USA), Rep. Keith Ellison (MN) and Rep. Robert E Andrews (NJ) • Country: Oman (2 million) on the southeastern coast of Arabia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Fewer restrictions on Christian activity than most of its neighbors • 97% Muslim; .5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for a greater desire to serve the Lord (Ps. 42:1-2).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 89:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 22 – 26
Highlights:

God weeps as He judges Jerusalem, who won't repent, but uncaringly eats, drinks and is destroyed (22:1-14); Wicked leaders deposed (22:15-25); Why does God judge Tyre (23:8-9)? A sad prophecy of the earth (chap. 24); Judgment and salvation promised (chap. 25); Read our only solution from sin and its consequences – 26:4.
Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof. And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the taker of usury, so with the giver of usury to him (Isa. 24:1-2).

There are some people who feel that they deserve to be privileged in life. This happens for many reasons. Some may think that, because they have a certain amount of money, they are entitled to special treatment. There are others who think their careers give them an elevated position in life. Some even think their name itself grants them respect based on what other members of their family might have done. The world will most likely give preferential treatment to a person who is extremely wealthy. As mentioned, others will be idolized because they are an athlete, actor or singer.

The underlying reason for all of these feelings of entitlement is ungodly pride. In some things, a small degree of pride is okay. Just like in most things, sin is in the excess. Excessive pride in ourselves or in our own accomplishments will carry us to a bad place. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Pro. 16:18).

Where does all this feeling of "deserved privilege" come from? Can you find anywhere in the Bible that it mentions God handing out privileges based on fortune, fame or family? The world may become enamored with individuals for worldly reasons, but God does not. The Lord does not become impressed with carnal success. He never gives favoritism. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons (Col. 3:25).

The list of people in the day's verse above is pretty extensive. It clearly shows that the Lord values all of us the same, and that we are all precious to Him. We are weighed and valued in equal proportion to Christ. It was Jesus who was sent to purchase us and pay off our sin debt. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt (Matt. 18:27).

There is nothing we can do that will allow us to escape judgment. There is no amount of money with which we can buy our way out of it. We will never get a pass because of our notoriety or name.

The only means of gaining favor with God is by having the atoning blood of Christ applied to our lives. Only in that way can we become servants of God. We can then begin building the kingdom of God instead of our own kingdom.

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal (Matt. 6:20).

Thought for Today:

Pray for Christians to be revived in our land.
Christ Revealed:

By Eliakim, master of Hezekiah's household (Is. 22:20-22); what was said of him is true of Christ who is Master over the household of faith. Christ . . . a Son over His own house; whose house are we (Heb. 3:6; Gal. 6:10).
Word Studies:

22:1 valley of vision, Jerusalem; 22:2 stirs, shoutings; 23:13 raised up, destroyed; 24:7 mourneth, laments, sorrows; 24:15 fires, dawning light; 24:19 clean dissolved, split open; 24:23 ancients, elders; 26:7 weigh, make straight, lead in the right way.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Gov. Brian Sandoval (NV), Rep. Mike F. Doyle (PA), and Sen. Ron H Johnson (WI) • Country: Pakistan (146.5 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Urdu and English • There is no freedom to convert Muslims to Christ. Pakistan is an Islamic republic • 72% Sunni Muslim; 20% Shi'a Muslim; 3% Ahmadiya; 2% Christian; 2% Hindu; .1% Other (Baha'i, Animist, Farsi, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that God delights in your joy (Ps. 43:4).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 27 – 31
Highlights:

God deals out 'tough love' to Israel (27:11), Samaria (28:1-4,7-29), and Judah (30:1-17); Truth: Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help; Egypt's promises are worthless (30:1-7); futile to rely on Egypt (31:1-3); The Lord will victoriously defend Jerusalem (31:4-5)
But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken (Isa. 28:13).

The Word of God should be our most prized possession in life. Its true value can never be determined. It should be worth more to us than a house, car, boat or any other material object.

These are strong statements for sure, but that does not mean they are not true. There is little we have in life that can produce more fruit in our lives than the Word of God. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the Word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty (Matt. 13:23).

Have you ever heard the phrase "the more things change, the more they stay the same?" It doesn't make a lot of sense unless you really think on it. It is saying that while the looks of things might change, down deep, everything is still pretty much the same.

This is unquestionably true when it comes to the Bible. Today's society has many similarities to the time in which the Book of Isaiah was written. At that time, much like today, the Word of God was valued by some, but was dismissed or sneered at by others.

Many in today's time feel the Bible is outdated. They claim it is a set of rules made for ancient people in ancient times, and that there is no way it can have any meaning for us today. After all, they reason, so much of life and society are different now.

It seems amazing that so many find the Bible useless. But if we look deeper, it soon becomes obvious a high percentage of those who find it useless have never read it. It's like bad cooks saying a recipe book will not improve their food, or a lost ship's captain saying maps won't help him find his way. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps. 119:105).

It is foolish to think we can go through life without God's Word as our guide. Yet, this is what the Israelites were doing. God knew the only way to teach them was to use the same methods you use when instructing children. Repetitive teaching of the law was the only way to make them understand.

We could learn a lot more from God if we thought as children thought. As adults, we come with our preconceived notions of how things should be. Life has made many of us sceptical and "not trusting" of things we don't understand. Children, on the other hand, love to discover new things. They trust and love unconditionally. This is the exact attitude that God can use.

There are always new things to discover in God's Word. If we will trust and love God enough to put these things into action, then our lives will be all the better for doing so. God's Word will change our hearts and our lives, as long as we will allow them to do so.

But Jesus called them unto Him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God (Luke 18:16).

Thought for Today:

Precept upon precept, line upon line is God's way to learning and wisdom.
Christ Revealed:

As the precious (Chief) Corner Stone, a sure foundation (Is. 28:16; ph. 2:20-21; Matt. 21:42; Acts 4:10-12; Rom. 9:33; I Pet. 2:6-8).
Word Studies:

27:1 piercing, swift; 28:21 strange, awesome, unusual; 28:22 bands be made strong, punishment be made greater; 30:1 cover with a covering, give an offering; 30:3 confusion, humiliation, your undoing; 30:24 ear, plow.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Dorothy W. Ralston • Government Official: Rep. Mike McIntyre (NC) • Country: Panama (3 million) in southern Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Limited religious freedom • 78% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant; 5% Muslim; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that the Lord is always ready to help you in times of trouble (Ps. 46:1).
Optional Reading: James 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 32 – 37
Highlights:

Look!! Sit up, take notice – here comes Jesus (32:1-8,15-20); Don't be complacent (32:9-14); Be wary of Assyria and other nations who can't be trusted and later destroyed. Hear their threats (33:1,7-9; 34:1-17; 36:1-20); The Lord promises victory (33:5-6,21-22; 34:8; 35:4,10; 37:5-7,22-38); Just do as Hezekiah did (37:14-15).
Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; He will come and save you. (Isa. 35:4).

The headlines are filled with terrible, horrible news day after day. We hear of terrorism. There are reports of the stock market going up and down. There is disease, war, tornadoes and hurricanes. The list goes on and on. This can lead to many mixed emotions on the part of the believer. This is due to the fact that there is little good news going on. The worst part of it is, if you listen to the radio, watch television, read the newspaper or look on the internet, it all hits you in the face again and again. The unbeliever wonders what will happen next.

We, as believers, don't have to live in fear of what is to happen next. We don't have to sit around worrying about the world's financial system. We don't have to allow ourselves to let all the situations going on emotionally drain us to the point of depression. We don't have to dread listening to the radio, watching television, reading the newspaper or getting on the internet.

Why doesn't the believer have to worry? This is because simply of one word in today's verse. That word is "your". God is our God.

Isaiah is speaking to those who belong to God. He is speaking to those to whom salvation belongs. He is speaking to the blood bought saints of God. What does He have to say to us? Isaiah's message from God to us is not to be afraid. If we serve the Lord, He is our protector, our refuge and our defense. So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and His glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him (Isa. 59:19).

What can overcome us if we serve the Lord? There is nothing that can defeat us. We obtained the ultimate victory in life when we accepted the free gift of redemption offered to us through the victory Christ obtained on the cross of Calvary. On the day that gift was accepted, we became the adopted children of God. God is now our Father. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us (Rom. 8:31)?

This is not to say times of trouble will never come the way of the believer. They certainly will happen. We continue in a daily struggle with our flesh, the world and our enemy the devil. All these are trying to hinder our walk with God.

Fear is one of the devil's greatest weapons. If he can get us to fear, it can bring doubt into our hearts and minds. If we doubt what God has done, is doing and will do, the devil has a foothold in our lives. Don't accept fear into your heart. If we are facing trouble, God is only a prayer away. It's often been said that fear is the opposite of faith.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (II Tim. 1:7).

Thought for Today:

When we are threatened, we can pray in faith for God's help.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who, in judgment, wields the sword of the LORD (Is. 34:6). Out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations (Rev. 19:15).
Word Studies:

32:2 covert, shelter; tempest, storm; 32:5 liberal, noble; churl, deceitful; 32:7 instruments, schemes; 32:19 low in a low place, completely destroyed; 33:9 hewn down, destroyed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Cheryl Walker • Country: Papua New Guinea (5 million) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 715 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 64% Protestant; 33% Roman Catholic; 2% ancestor worship, belief in spirits, and witchcraft • Prayer Suggestion: God wants to be exalted through you (Ps. 46:10).
Optional Reading: James 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 38 – 42
Highlights:

Sickness, prayer, and healing (chap. 38; remember Ex. 15:26); Hezekiah's poem of praise (38:9-20); Using poor judgment and pride, Hezekiah sets up his future conqueror (chap. 39); A Messianic prophecy of the Deliverer and Savior (chap. 40); Divine help for Israel (41:17); Christ, the Lord's chosen Servant (chap. 42).
Then said Hezekiah to Isaiah, Good is the word of the LORD which thou hast spoken. He said moreover, For there shall be peace and truth in my days. (Isa. 39:8).

Hezekiah's life was on a roller coaster type of journey. He had experienced a repeating cycle of highs followed by lows. Each hill and valley had a lot to do with his decision-making, just as ours do in our own lives.

Hezekiah had been given a death sentence by God. Through Isaiah's words, Hezekiah believed that his life was not finished,so he prayed to God asking for more time. Amazingly, God granted him fifteen more years. In this case, the choice of Hezekiah to turn to God brought him from the valley to the mountaintop.

Not long after this transpired, Hezekiah and the nation of Judah had a visit from some dignitaries from Babylon. Hezekiah greeted them and showed them all of the nation's treasures. After they departed, Isaiah, at the compelling of the Lord, confronted Hezekiah. Isaiah told Hezekiah that he had made a grave error in judgment. By showing an enemy of the Lord the treasures they could gain by conquering God's people, he had sown the seed for a future attack from Babylon in which Judah would be overthrown. Once again Hezekiah made a choice. However, this one carried him from the mountaintop to the valley.

Because of Hezekiah's repentant nature, the Lord promised that the fall to Babylon would not come during his reign. Hezekiah took the Lord's message in stride. He was thankful for the blessing that God had given him even though he had made the mistake.

Before moving forward, it would be good to note something about Hezekiah's tone. Some feel that he is showing a selfish side here. He does not seem worried at all about the future of Judah and his descendants; he just seems happy it won't be his problem to deal with. This is not the case. Most commentators agree that he is simply thankful and hopeful. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you (I Thes. 5:18).

In a study of these circumstances, there is much to be learned from Hezekiah. The first thing is never to get so high in our thinking that we feel untouchable. It is not clear whether this is what happened with Hezekiah, but it could have been. God had just blessed him greatly. At times like that be on guard for a sneak attack from the devil. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8).

The second lesson to learn is that regardless of the circumstances in life, we need to turn to God. If bad times come, pray for help. When the Lord sends a blessing, praise Him for it. The Lord is with us through the good and bad in life.

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5).

Thought for Today:

Grass withers and flowers fade, but the Word of God shall stand forever.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator (Is. 40:28; comp. John 1:1-3); as the Shepherd (Is. 40:11; comp. John 10:11); as the Redeemer (Is. 41:14; comp. Gal. 3:13; I Pet. 1:18-19; Rev. 5:9).
Word Studies:

38:10 residue, remainder; 40:2 comfortably, kindly and tenderly; 40:12 meted out, measured; span, spread of the fingers; 42:4 isles, Gentiles are mentioned in Is. 42:1, so the isles in 42:4 refer to the isles of the Gentiles (see Gen. 10:5); 42:13 jealousy, His fury.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Country: Paraguay (5 million) in southern South America • Major languages: Spanish and Guarani • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask God for daily direction (Ps. 48:14).
Optional Reading: James 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 43 – 46
Highlights:

This is powerful! I alone am God; your Redeemer cometh, don't fear! Promise after promise of the Lord's love and protection plus the prophecy of our Savior's redeeming work and Jerusalem restored; Read and be blessed; Cyrus is introduced; Note the warning against false idols in chap. 46. Don't miss 46:13! What a promise!!
Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert (Isa. 43:18-19).

The one thing that every living person has in common is that we all have a past. There are many of us who have done things in our past that we are not particularly proud of. We may have lied, hurt someone we loved or even done something illegal. These things are not so easy to escape. It is difficult to forget the wrongs we have done. This is especially so when we are reminded of them by our enemy, the devil, or when he uses some individual to remind us of them.

If we have surrendered our lives to Christ, these sins of the past are not ours to deal with anymore. We have asked the Lord to forgive us of them and have turned away from that sort of lifestyle. This means that God has taken these sins away from us. They are gone forever. Scripture is clear on this matter. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us (Ps. 103:12). Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the LORD (Acts 3:19).

There is no need for the believer to dwell on the things of the past, that life is done away with. Scripture clearly teaches us that when we accept Christ we are new or, as some say born again. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17).

The verses from Isaiah are reinforcing these thought lines. We are told to let the past live in the past, because that is where it belongs. Clearly, Isaiah tells us that we are to live in the here and now and not to look back.

All that God did in the past has already been done. He does not work in yesterday. The Lord works in our present time. God is constantly moving in our lives. He guides the steps we are taking today.

Scripture goes on to say that God is doing things in our lives now that He has never done before. He will carry us to places that we have never been. There are always new experiences on the horizon with the Lord.

Sometimes, we may go through dry places in life. It may seem that these spots will take forever to cross. God has given us a promise of empowerment, not only to survive, but to flourish in these places.

There are times when we pray for deliverance out of, the dry places in life, but we must remember that God may have a reason for us being there. This may be the place where God is about to do something big with our lives. We all need to consider the thought of growing where we are planted. This is even more true when God is sending the seed and the rain.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen (II Pet. 3:18).

Thought for Today:

Have you learned to trust and obey God's Word?
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer (Is. 43:1; 44:22-24). Through His death on the cross, Christ has redeemed (bought back) all who trust Him as their Savior (I Cor. 6:20; Gal. 4:4-5; Titus 2:13-14; I Pet. 1:18-19).
Word Studies:

43:2 fire, oppression; kindle upon, consume; 43:13 let it, prevent it from happening; 44:9 delectable, cherished; 45:1 loose the loins of, weaken; two leaved gates, double gates; 46:12 stouthearted, stubborn-minded.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Peru (26 million) on the western coast of South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Open to evangelism and Bible distribution • 90% Christian; 8% non-Religious/Other; 1.2% Traditional ethnic; .3% Buddhist; .09% Baha'i; .02% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord; our God is the Mighty God (Ps. 50:1).
Optional Reading: James 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 47 – 51
Highlights:

Prediction: Babylon will be destroyed for mistreating Israel (47:6-15;49:25-26); Heartbroken Father speaks to His unruly children (chap. 48); Warning: 48:22! The Son officially commissioned as Savior (49:1-7); Whose hand holds you (49:16; 51:16)? Do things look bad? Trust God (51:7-8,11,21-23).
Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of His servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God (Isa. 50:10).

Our text is not talking about an unbeliever or even someone who is a backslider. This person fears and loves the Lord. The person who fears God the most loves God the most. Fear, in this instance, means to give reverence or respect to God. The person who fears or respects God is obedient to the voice of God. The idea, that if a person becomes a Christian then life becomes a rose garden, is deceptive. This is somewhat true. Have you ever run through a rose garden? If not, you need to know there are lots of thorns.

The Lord has never promised an easy road to the believer. If anything, He has promised we will experience the exact opposite of the easy road at times. Jesus told us that there would be suffering in our way because there was suffering in His way. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept My saying, they will keep yours also (John 15:20).

There are many in the Word of God that had to walk in dark times for their faith in God. In the Old Testament, Joseph was hated by his brothers, sold into slavery and falsely imprisoned for doing the right thing. In the New Testament, Paul was beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked and finally executed as a result of his service to God.

These men and many others like them knew that there might be suffering in this life with Christ. They also knew that the blessings far outweighed the persecution. The choice for them was clear even in the face of such trials. The life of Moses reflects the choice of serving God over a possible easier one. Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season (Heb. 11:25).

Just as many suffered in the Bible, there are multitudes of Christians across the world that fear and love the Lord and yet are experiencing darkness. Many of our brothers and sisters in Christ have been beaten and jailed for their stand for God. More than 150,000 Christians were martyred last year throughout the world. These have chosen like Joseph, Moses and Paul to take the road that is less traveled. They have made their decision to follow Christ. The way He leads may not always take them down the easiest road. But, it is the road that leads to the greatest reward.

When we experience dark days, let us remember the saints of old and the persecuted church of today. They can be our inspiration to carry on in the face of oppression. We can follow Christ with the confidence that though the road is rough we know His reward lies ahead.

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing (II Tim. 4:8).

Thought for Today:

God's refining fire is painful but very profitable.
Christ Revealed:

As the Light to the Gentiles (nations) (Is. 49:6). Jesus said: I am the Light of the world (John 8:12; 9:5; Luke 2:32; Acts 13:47; 26:23).
Word Studies:

47:8 carelessly, securely; 47:11 put it off, avert or avoid it; 47:15 quarter, own region; 48:2 stay, rely; 48:10 refined, tested; not with silver, not like silver, which requires heat you could not bear; 49:21 removing, wandering.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Philippines (76 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Filipino and English • Religious persecution in some areas • 80% Catholic; 9% Protestant; 8% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 3% Other (Buddhist, Animist, non-Religious) • Prayer Suggestion: Trust the Lord for deliverance in times of trouble (Ps. 50:15).
Optional Reading: James 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 52 – 57
Highlights:

Weep over Jesus (52:13-15; 53:1-12)! God reigns-Jerusalem redeemed (chap. 52); Israel, the restored wife (chap. 54); Note 54:17 & 55:8-9; Grace for salvation (chap. 55); Obedience rewarded (chap. 56); Repentance forgiven (57:15-21); But condemnation for sinful leaders (56:9-12); And idolatrous worshipers (57:3-14).
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth: He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth (Isa. 53:6-7).

There is a question that you might have heard asked. This question has an easy answer, but is often times difficult to explain. The question is this: Why did Jesus have to die?

The answer to that question lies here in this text from the Book of Isaiah. In these words, we can find answers to virtually all the questions about the death of Christ. We find here not only why He died but also how it all made a difference.

So, let us first examine the "why" part of the death of Christ. The easy answer to this part of the question is, simply, mankind; Christ died for mankind.

Man sinned and fell away from God. This verse describes us as sheep, and it is an apt description. Adam and Eve allowed themselves to be led astray by the serpent in the garden, thereby bringing sin into the world. This sin placed a gulf, or valley, between God and man. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Rom. 5:12).

Since that time, it has been the desire of God to restore man to his former relationship and fellowship with God. He knew man would be disobedient to His Word. Therefore, the plan to redeem man was made before man even existed. And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship Him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world (Rev. 13:8).

There was no angelic being that could have stepped in to become the atonement for the sins of man. No human being could sustain the weight of every sin that ever had been committed, was being committed or would in the future, be committed. There was only one individual meant for this purpose. That was Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

How would Jesus make the difference with His death? Jesus would take all the sins of repentant sinners upon Himself and die in man's place. Because Jesus was Jesus, He would rise victorious over sin, death and hell. Therefore, man's sin debt would be paid. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins (I John 4:10).

Jesus would become the bridge, across the gulf or valley, that separated God and man. We need to cross this bridge to obtain the righteousness of Christ. Jesus took on our unrighteousness so that we might be able to obtain His righteousness.

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of One the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life (Rom. 5:18).

Thought for Today:

Because of our iniquities, Jesus was despised, suffered and died.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who was rejected by His own people (Is. 53:3; comp. Luke 23:18; John 1:11); remained silent when He was falsely accused (Is. 53:7; Mark 15:3-5); was buried with the rich (Is. 53:9; Matt. 27:57-60); and was crucified with sinners (Is. 53:12; Mark 15:27-28).
Word Studies:

52:1 uncircumcised, heathen (those without a covenant with God); 52:10 made bare His holy arm, revealed His power; 52:12 rereward, rear guard; 52:14 visage, appearance, countenance; 57:4 sport yourselves, ridicule; 57:17 frowardly, rebelliously.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Billy Long (MO) • Country: Poland (38.6 million) in eastern Europe • Major language: Polish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (including Greek Catholic – .31%); 1.56% Orthodox; .5% Protestant; .01% Muslim; .01% Far Eastern Religions; 1.7% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Confess your sins and ask the Lord to restore the joy of your salvation (Ps. 51:1-3,12).
Optional Reading: I Peter 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 90:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk