Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 8 – 11
Highlights:

The pre-creation activities of Christ are intermingled with the voice of wisdom as evidenced in I Corinthians 1:24 and Colossians 2:3. We're admonished to praise wisdom and avoid folly. Don't miss 9:10-11. A wealth of truth is found in Chapters 10 & 11 contrasting wisdom, the fear of God, and righteousness with folly, sin, and wickedness.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy is understanding. For by Me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased (Prov. 9:10-11).

Many see the word fear in the scriptures and they have no real understanding of what it means. You might even have had someone ask you if they should be afraid of God. In some ways, the answer is yes.

Unbelievers should be afraid for their souls. If they do not make the decision to accept the free gift of salvation through Christ, they will one day face the judgment of God. All opportunities will then be gone. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Matt. 10:28).

The believer in Christ has a different kind of fear of the Lord. As long as we live in Christ, we need not have a fear of eternal damnation. Our fear of the Lord is an act of giving Him the reverence He deserves. Our God should be the most respected, loved and praised being in this world. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear (Heb. 12:28).

There are many who give the Lord no respect. They live their lives as if they will live forever and never stand before God to give account of their actions. Many of these are atheists or agnostics. However, others claim to believe in God and still live irresponsibly.

The writer credits those who "fear" the Lord. There is wisdom and understanding to be found in these actions. This makes sense, because as we draw closer to the Lord we grow spiritually. The Holy Spirit is given the opportunity to work more freely in us, giving us better discernment to make right decisions. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil (Heb. 5:14).

This closer relationship to God should also draw us into a richer study life of the Word of God. The Lord would have each of us to be students of His Word. This deeper study of the Bible should also help us to have better wisdom and understanding.

There is a promise that comes with obedience to these instructions. The writer says our lifetime shall be increased. This does not necessarily mean a longer life, but it means that we will live a much fuller life in Christ. Wisdom, understanding and a fuller life in Christ can be ours all for doing something that should come naturally to the believer. Let's give God reverence.

Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance (Acts 2:28).

Thought for Today:

Guard your mouth for it has the power to bless and the power to hurt.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator who prepared the heavens (Prov. 8:27-31). The heavens are the works of Thine hands (Heb. 1:10, John 1:3).
Word Studies:

8:12 of witty inventions, with wise insight; 8:29 his decree, its boundary; 9:7 getteth himself a blot, gets insults in return; 10:1 heaviness, grief, shame; 10:4 slack, negligent, lazy; 10:8 prating fool, self-sufficient know-it-all; 11:6 naughtiness, wickedness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: In memory of Lauren Luke • Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Robert B. Adersholt (AL), Rep. John B. Larson (CT), Rep. Steven C. LaTourette (OH), and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX) • Country: Mongolia (2.4 million) in east-central Asia • Major language: Khalkha Mongol • As a 70-year era of communism wanes, Bibles are now on sale in the capital, Ulaanbaatar • 95.5% Tibetan Buddhist; 4% Muslim; .3% Christian; .2% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Be glad in the Lord and rejoice at all times (Ps. 32:11).
Optional Reading: Titus 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:9
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 12 – 15
Highlights:

Every verse is loaded with practical instruction that cover every aspect of life. The contrasts are what give 'the punch' to the sayings. For example, check out 15:17! It literally says a bowl of soup with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate! Our government officials need 14:34. Find your favorite.
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (Prov. 13:24).

This Scripture is often used as means to defend corporal punishment or, as some might call it, spanking. Many times the Word of God can become thought of in certain ways, and then there is no examination of the Scripture to see all the other ways it can be applicable in our life. There are definitely things to be learned here.

It is true that this Scripture is about punishment. However, it really has more to say about parenting than punishing. These words can help us considerably with the process of child rearing.

In society today, we see a growing problem. Violent crime is escalating among minors. A multitude of things, from fighting, to gangs, to drugs, to school shootings are plaguing the youth of America. Why is this happening? What are the answers?

This is happening because the enemy is attacking the family unit with all his power. God established the family unit as a building block to His Kingdom on earth. The devil believes that by infiltrating and taking control of the next generation he can erode the progressive construction of God's work. He seeks to rob God's people of their children. Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death (Mark 13:12).

The solution to this problem is simple. The Lord should have full rule over our lives and the lives of our children. The question is, how is this accomplished?

First, we set the example by walking in the ways of the Lord. There will be times when we stray, and God will have to be a good Father and correct us. We need to accept His correction and not reject it. And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him (Heb. 12:5).

We follow this by raising our children to live out what we learn from the Word of God. From a young age, we should be reading and teaching the Bible to our children. Don't leave it to the Pastor, the Sunday School teachers or the VBS workers. As parents, it is our responsibility to teach our children the statutes and laws of God. If they learn and live these Scriptures, they will not be easy prey for the enemy. And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates (Deut. 6:6 - 9). This is not to say that a child might not still stray. It is true they may. But at least they will know what God desires from their lives. If we are true men and women of God, we can raise our children to be true men and women of God.

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light (Eph. 5:8).

Thought for Today:

As parents we need to train our children to respect those in authority.
Christ Revealed:

As One who hates Lying (Prov. 12:22). He that sat upon the throne said. . . . all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone (Rev. 21:5,8).
Word Studies:

12:1 brutish, without regard to reason or propriety; 12:11 vain, worthless; 12:25 Heaviness, Worry; maketh it stoop, causes depression; 13:11 vanity, dishonesty; 13:16 layeth open, exposes; 14:1 plucketh, tears; 14:23 penury, poverty; 15:1 grievous, harsh; 15:17 stalled, fattened; 15:27 gifts, bribes.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Assoc. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy (Supreme Court) and Rep. Timothy V. Johnson (IL) • Prayer Suggestion: Praise God in prayer and with singing for His Word is pure and His works are done in truth (Ps. 33:2-4).
Optional Reading: Philemon 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 16 – 19
Highlights:

Note chapter 16 has a lot of from the Lord, but the Lord, to the Lord, or in the Lord. The rich, the poor, the wicked, the just, fools, wise, truth or false; all are spoken of here. Lots of living is covered. It says the lazy sleep so sound they go hungry (19:15) and some are so lazy they won't lift a finger to feed themselves (19:24). We're told if we stop listening to instruction we've turned our back on knowledge (19:20,27). Can you find some that touch you?
He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again (Prov. 19:17).

As believers, we are called to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves. There are many places throughout the Word of God that compel us to give to the needy. This is a great part of the Christ-like lifestyle.

We have a God that has instructed every believer to act as a servant to their fellow man. This does not mean that we are enslaved to the world. It means that we reach out to those in need as the Lord has enabled us to help.

There are many times we might be driving down the road and see a man holding a sign that says "hungry." Seeing this may bring on a wide range of emotions. Some may see them in their dirty and torn clothes and be disgusted. Others may look and be fearful that the person might harm or rob them. Some may even think, "why doesn't that person just get a job." Are any of these a proper response for the believer?

The answer of course is no. Does the Bible command those who follow Christ to judge without information, or does the Bible command the follower of Christ to love without condition? A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:34-35). The love of Christ is unconditional. Therefore, the Scripture commands that ours should be also.

We are told in the Book of Proverbs that when we are giving to the poor we are, in fact, giving to the Lord. The Word of God often teaches us that we are to be like Jesus to the world. When we do these things, for those that He loves, it is as if we are doing them for Jesus Himself.

The Lord tells us that when we do good to the least in society then we are doing it for Him. There is also a warning that to not do good is as if we are neglecting Him (Matt. 25:31-46). This is a command from God. Our personal feelings on the subject should not hinder the outcome. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil (Luke 6:35).

Not only should our personal feelings not interfere with the end result, our thoughts themselves should be altered. We are not called to see things as they are. God desires us to see with our hearts. When we do this, we will realize that every godly action grows the kingdom of God. We are sowing seeds in the Lord's garden and He will reap the harvest.

Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father (I Thes. 1:3).

Thought for Today:

In order to have friends we must show ourselves friendly to others. (Prov. 18:21)
Christ Revealed:

As the One who punishes the proud (Prov. 16:5). Jesus said: Whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased (humbled); and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted (Luke 14:11). As the Friend that sticketh closer than a brother (Prov. 18:24), Jesus is our Friend (John 15:14-15) and will never leave (us), nor forsake (us) (Heb. 13:5).
Word Studies:

16:2 spirits, motives; 16:8 without right, dishonestly gained; 17:18 striketh hands . . . surety, gives a pledge to be responsible for his neighbor's debts; 18:2 discover itself, express itself; 18:3 with ignominy reproach, with dishonor and disgrace; 19:3 fretteth, is resentful; 19:7 they are wanting to him, they abandon him; 19:13 a continual dropping, an unending irritation.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Internet Radio: Sponsored by Carl E Miller • Government Official: Sen. Claire McCaskill (MO) • Country: Morocco (28.2 million) on the northwestern coast of Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Government very hostile to Christians and missions • 99.75% Muslim (mostly Sunni); .25% Christian (including foreigners); small numbers of Jews and Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord at all times regardless of circumstances (Ps. 34:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 23 – 26
Highlights:

The 'thirty sayings of the wise' continue from 23:1 - 24:21. The woes of too much wine are vividly outlined (23:29-35). We see more sayings of the wise (24:23-34). The advisers of King Hezekiah compiled more proverbs of King Solomon as read here from 25:2-26:28.
Debate thy cause with thy neighbour himself; and discover not a secret to another: Lest he that heareth it put thee to shame, and thine infamy turn not away (Prov. 25:9-10).

There's a problem in the world today that has been going on for a very long time. This problem has destroyed the character of many innocent people and has allowed many guilty to thrive. This problem has destroyed marriages, friendships, churches and business partnerships. This problem is gossip.

This problem is as rampant in the church as it is in the world. It may even be worse because of the familiarity of a group of people who are together on a regular basis. The workplace may be the only place that rivals the level of gossip that is found in the church.

This probably comes as no surprise to many, however it should be a huge shock to those of us who are believers and read God's Word. The Bible provides details as to how we are to handle conflict resolution. Our words should be directed by the Word of God. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile (I Pet. 3:10).

The Scripture that we are focusing on today gives us some of the best instruction possible. If there is a problem with someone, we should talk it over with them. We should not be speaking of this problem to individuals who are not involved in the matter. This is not to say we cannot seek godly advice on dealing with a situation. The first one we should seek counsel from should be God. Pray to God for help. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him (James 1:5).

There are some commentators who believe that this Scripture is referring to seeking legal recourse on a matter. If this is the case, the decision making process should be taken all the more seriously. Things are always better settled between the individuals that are involved. This is especially true if one or both parties are followers of Christ. There is no reason to expect a secular court to look at a problem through spiritual eyes.

As believers, the Bible gives us a process to handle situations where there is disagreement or where one person has wronged another. As Christians, we answer to a higher power that has the final authority. Therefore, we should use His Word as our means for settling our disputes.

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican (Matt. 18:15-17).

Thought for Today:

Discipline given to a child provides nourishment to his spirit.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who rewards those who repay evil with good (Prov. 25: 21-22). If thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink (Rom. 12:20). Jesus commanded: Love your enemies (Matt. 5:44; Luke 6:27,35).
Word Studies:

23:20 riotous, gluttonous; 24:26 Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer, A fair answer is as pleasant as a kiss on the lips; 25:9 discover not a secret to another, do not betray another man's confidence; 26:24 dissembleth, harbors deceit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Martha Roby (AL) • Country: Myanmar (formerly Burma) (48.1 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Burmese and ethnic languages • Limited religious freedom • 87.5% Buddhist; 6% Christian; 4% Muslim (mainly Sunni); 1% animist; .5% Hindu; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and the Lord will free you from your fears (Ps. 34:4).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 27 – 31
Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him. Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar (Prov. 30:5-6).

This is a commentary that says so very much about the Word of God! The focus is not just on the Bible. We are shown how God responds to us as we interact with His Word.

First, we are told that the Bible is "pure". Webster defines pure as being "unmixed with any other matter" or "free from dust, dirt, or taint." The Bible definitely has nothing in it but the Word of God. The Bible is in no way contaminated with anything from this world. Yes, it was written by human men: human men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write every word they penned. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (II Tim. 3:16).

Because the Word of God is all this, we should follow it without wavering. Doing this reveals the trust that we have in the Lord. The Scripture says that God will protect us from the attack of the enemy. Knowing and applying the Word to our lives offers us much protection. The devil knows that the Bible and its words, if believed and lived, are a powerful weapon against him.

However, there is a warning given against tainting the Word of God. We should never try to add to His Word or, for that matter, take away from it. This will bring the discipline of God into our lives. This can be a very dangerous move when it comes to matters of the soul. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book (Rev. 22:18-19).

When we try to add to God's Word, we show our lack of trust in God and His Word. How is this so? If we fully trusted God and His Word, there would be no need to change either of them. We act in disobedience with these actions. And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the Word, being disobedient: where unto also they were appointed (I Pet. 2:8).

God's Word is meant to be followed to the letter. Half obedience is disobedience. God's Word is given to us as our operation manual for life. We follow the manual, the Bible, and we live our lives in the right way. If we don't follow the manual, before long we find our lives broken from our misuse. If this happens, we must go to the Creator of all life to have ourselves repaired. Hopefully, we will then follow His Instructions.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My Word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life (John 5:24).

Thought for Today:

If you are successful, remember that it is God who gives the ability. (Deut. 8:17-18)
Christ Revealed:

As the One who descended from and ascended to heaven (Prov. 30:4). Jesus came down from heaven, even the Son of Man which is (now) in heaven (John 3:13).
Word Studies:

27:16 Whosoever hideth her hideth the wind, Restraining a contentious woman is like attempting to hold the wind; 28:11 searcheth him out, sees through him; 28:14 that feareth alway, who is always reverent; 28:17 stay, help; 29:10 seek his soul, has concern for his well-being; 30:23 odious, hateful.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. William Lacy Clay, Jr. (MO) and Rep. Glenn Thompson, Jr. (PA) • Country: Namibia (1.6 million) in southwest Africa • Major languages: Afrikaans and German • Religious freedom • 89% Christian; 10% Traditional; 1% Other (Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Revere and worship the Lord with godly fear and you will have no want (Ps. 34:9).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 1 – 4
Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ecc. 4:9-12).

Some people feel they are better off alone in life. They will tell you they work best by themselves. They might even say that others just slow them down or hold them back, but this is not how God intended us to live. There is a phrase that says "no man is an island". That is not just a good saying, it is also an illustration of God's will that we work together as believers in all facets of life.

What are the benefits to cooperation in the kingdom of God? These Scriptures point out a few. If we will follow the directions from the Word of God, our lives will benefit from them.

The first advantage is that two can accomplish more than one. There is also the fact that if one falls another can help him up. You can offer comfort to each other. Finally, it is pointed out that where alone one might be overcome by an enemy, two or more working together might prevail.

It was said before that God doesn't want us to be alone. It was mentioned this includes all facets of life. God intends for us to form relationships, such as marriage. No, God does not intend for everyone to be married. There are some that may not be destined to become wed. This could be because of ministry or a number of other reasons. The Bible does put its approval on marriage as an institution of value. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh (Gen. 2:24).

Scripture gives advice on how we should conduct ourselves when we are involved in friendships and partnerships. Since the Bible gives us instructions on these matters, it should be concluded that God sees us in these relationships even in ministry. From Elijah and Elisha to Paul and Silas, God has been using great men and women working together all throughout history. The Lord Jesus Christ even paired the disciples off for service. And He called unto Him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits (Mark 6:7).

The Lord intends for us to have relationships. God wants us to interact with other believers. Through these interactions, we bring more strength, fellowship and love into our lives and the lives of others. This is not just about going to church, though that is important. It is about being a part of the body of Christ.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching (Heb. 10:25).

Thought for Today:

Beware of letting earthly "things" take the place of setting our minds on things above.
Christ Revealed:

As God, the true Source of wisdom, and knowledge, and joy – the One who truly satisfies (Eccl. 2:26). We have the mind of Christ which is wisdom, knowledge, and joy (I Cor. 2:16; see also Luke 21:15; John 15:11; Rom. 15:14).
Word Studies:

1:13 sore travail, grievous task; 1:17 madness and folly, the ways of the foolish; vexation of spirit, very unsatisfying; grasping after the wind; 2:21 in equity, with skill; portion, inheritance.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Nauru (11,000) in the central Pacific • Major languages: Nauruan and English • Religious freedom • 57% Protestant; 24% Roman Catholic; 10% Buddhist and Chinese folk-religionist • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will keep you from speaking evil (Ps. 34:13).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 5 – 8

As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand (Ecc. 5:15).

What do we live for in life? People live for many things. They form life plans and do their best to stick to them. Many live for their careers. They feel if they can make a big enough impact in their field they will be remembered. A doctor or scientist may be feeling if they can discover a cure for a particular disease and bring healing to many that their legacy will be assured. An artist may believe a painting or sculpture will live far beyond their years, providing comfort and beauty to others. These facts may be true. Others may do this simply for the money alone.

Still others may live for their families. They may fall into the category of trying to live vicariously through their children. They will give them the things they never had. They want their children to have the lives that they wanted themselves. This may be grounded in good intentions, but more times than not turns out badly. Some may live their lives for a recreation, pastime or hobby. They are holding on to a childhood dream. They hold out hope for years that it will finally come to fruition. Sadly, life often passes them by.

This is not a testament against working for a cause, having high hopes for family or living a dream. On the contrary, it is an encouragement to have a full life. A life that means something in the grand scheme of things.

The trouble is that when we plan things we then desire these things for our life, and we will sacrifice as much as we have to get it. There are a lot of "we"s in that sentence. If we were speaking of ourselves alone, it would be "me" that was being said. It brings to mind a man in the Bible. And He spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided (Luke 12:16-20)?

This man had laid out many plans. Who knows? He might have had good intentions. The trouble is God was not in his thoughts. There is nothing that we build in this life that will last unless we are building for God. A relationship with God will bring eternal life. The Lord will give us the call to accomplish eternal things for Him.

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal (Matt. 6:20).

Thought for Today:

God expects us to do what we promise just as He never fails to do.
Christ Revealed:

As One who expects us to keep our vows made to Him (Eccl. 5:4). So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God (Rom. 14:12).
Word Studies:

5:12 suffer, permit; 5:13 sore evil, great adversity or affliction; 5:14 evil travail, misfortunes; 6:3 an untimely birth, stillbirth or miscarriage; 7:2 lay, take; 7:12 excellency, advantage; 7:26 bands, chains.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Norman F Camp • Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Officials: Rep. Jeff Denham (CA) and Rep. Diana L. DeGette (CO) • Country: Nepal (24.3 million) a mountain-ringed Himalayan state between Tibet and India • Major language: Nepali • Limited religious freedom • 85% Hindu; 10% Buddhist; 3% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Call to the Lord for help; He will save you out of your troubles (Ps. 34:17).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ecclesiastes 9 – 12
As thou knowest not what is the way of the Spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all (Ecc. 11:5).

Often times, man believes he has a complete understanding of God. Some will even try to explain the nature of God to others. While it is not wrong to seek to know God, it is wrong to believe we have God all figured out. Why? Because the Scripture says that we don't have God figured out. For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD (Isa. 55:8).

Ecclesiastes speaks on vanity. One definition of vanity is to have inflated pride in yourself. That could describe a person who might perceive that they have all the knowledge about God they need.

The problem itself is in that phrasing. Many might know a little "about" God. The desire of our heart should be to "know" God. And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God (Eph. 3:19).

Many might be able to tell you facts about God. There are others who might know many biblical facts. They can tell of places where things happened. They can tell you when they happened and who was involved. They may even know why that thing transpired. These are excellent skills to have and, in the game of Bible trivia, will always get you picked first.

Are Bible facts all we need to build a relationship with Jesus? No! Knowledge of the Word of God is an awesome thing to have. We are all called to study the Bible. However, we are not called just to study, but to live as the Word directs our lives.

The Bible is the written account of God's interaction with mankind in times past, present and future. The Old Testament was directing us towards Jesus Christ. The New Testament reveals Jesus to the world. The redemptive plan of God is manifest in the life of Christ. Therefore, God reveals a portion of Himself in the identity of Jesus. All things are delivered unto Me of My Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal Him (Matt. 11:27).

What part of God is revealed to mankind through Christ? The answer is, the part we needed the most. The part that tells us God had love for mankind. He had so much love for mankind that He sent His Son Jesus to die for man.

The plan of God was for man to spend all eternity with Him. When sin came into the world, that could no longer happen because sin could not be allowed to exist eternally. This is why Adam and Eve were removed from the Garden and the Tree of Life. Man needed the righteousness that only God could provide. This was done through the life of Christ.

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference (Rom. 3:22).

Thought for Today:

Lasting satisfaction comes not from earthly works but from doing the will of God.
Christ Revealed:

In the statement, For God shall bring every work into judgment (Eccl. 12:14). Jesus will judge all, for the Father (God) judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son (Jesus) (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

10:14 is full of words, talks as though he knows everything about which he knows nothing; 10:15 he knoweth not how to go to the city, he is ignorant concerning the most obvious matters; 12:11 goads, rods sharpened at the ends, used in driving oxen (Judg. 3:31; I Sam. 13:21); The words of the wise are as goads, The words of wisdom rouse into action to do right.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Francisco R. Canseco (TX) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray not to be envious of others (Ps. 37:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Song of Solomon 1 – 8
The song of songs, which is Solomon's (Song 1:1).

In lieu of selecting a particular verse, let us look at the overall message of this book, The Song Of Solomon. The first two things we learn are from its title. The book is a song. This song is written by Solomon.

What does the phrase "song of songs" mean? It means it is the best, or maybe most wonderful, song. There are certainly other songs in the Bible. There were many songs in the Psalms. Songs were sung by Moses, Joshua, Barak and Deborah. The Word of God, itself, calls the Song of Solomon the best.

This is most likely due to the subject matter found within the book. It is a passionate love story. The story of the great love that one can have for another.

It would seem this story is between two lovers. This is somewhat true. To the biggest extent, it is a foreshadowing of the love that Christ has for His Church. And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him (I John 4:16).

The song goes into detail to describe the care the Lord has given to her. It tells of the concern He has for her. The song continues on that she seeks to be protected by the Bridegroom. It is a beautiful account of the relationship Christ has with the Church.

We can also look at this song from the other perspective. As was said before, the song could be heard as the relationship between a husband and his wife. The Scripture calls for these two loves to be the same. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the Church: and He is the Saviour of the body. Therefore as the Church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave Himself for it (Eph. 5:23-25).

Many men use the Scriptures to dominate their wives. This is not what God intended. Yes, the husband is called to be the spiritual head of the family. To fill this role as he should, the Spirit of God must reign in his heart, and he must lead as Christ would lead. He should do this with love and grace.

There is a reason that God formed Eve from the rib of Adam. She did not come from his head as to be over him. She did not come from his feet as to be under him. She comes from his side as to walk beside him. The rib comes from under his arm as she should be so he can protect her. The rib comes from near his heart as he should love and cherish her all his days.

So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself (Eph. 5:28).

Thought for Today:

Are you living so that when Jesus comes you will meet Him with joy?
Christ Revealed:

As the chiefest (outstanding) among ten thousand (Song 5:10). Jesus is the KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

1:3 savour, fragrance; 1:11 borders, ornaments; 1:12 spikenard, perfume; 1:16 our bed is green, we recline on a grassy field; 2:5 Stay me, Invigorate me; flagons, delicacies; sick of love, overcome; lovesick; 4:4 bucklers, small shields; 5:4 bowels, heart; 8:5 raised, awakened.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Deval Patrick (MA), Rep. Betty Sutton (OH), and Rep. Joe Wilson (SC) • Country: Netherlands (15.8 million) in northwestern Europe • Major language: Dutch • Religious freedom • 35% Catholic; 28% Protestant; 3% Muslim; 1% Hindu; .9% Buddhist; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 30% Unaffiliated • Prayer Suggestion: Pray not to be envious of others (Ps. 37:1).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Isaiah 1 – 4
Highlights:

God is angry! Why (1:40)? Disobey - invite punishment (1:5); Emphasis that genuine praise goes beyond prayer to serving people (1:17); A vision of future reign, most important place on earth (2:2-3); FACT: God won't ignore sin, so you better believe judgment's coming (2:6–3:26)! BUT, God promises glorious restoration (4:2-6).
When the LORD shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning (Isa. 4:4).

Many will look at a verse such as this and only think about the judgment of the Lord. There are so many people who picture God as a hard taskmaster. They see Him as one who rules with an iron hand. He places laws and statutes upon mankind that no human could possibly measure up to or follow.

These individuals will pick and choose select events from the Word of God to justify their theory on God. They may find a time when God destroyed an entire city, or they may point out the droughts, famines and pestilences that were sent upon nations by the Lord. They may bring up the times when the elect or chosen of God went through dire circumstances. They ask, how could anyone look at these actions and believe that God loves His creation?

The answer to that begins right there. We are God's creation. He created this world from nothing. Before time began, all that existed was the Godhead. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1).

God chose to create this world and all the universe. He chose to create man and all the living things man would have dominion over. This is the first revelation of the love of God to mankind. He had a Son, Jesus Christ. God had a perfect, flawless and Holy Son. In His Son, all power laid. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (John 1:3). Even with Jesus, God still chose to create all of humanity.

Now with that established, we can ask ourselves, would God have made His creation just to fall? The obvious answer is no. Every hard thing that comes upon mankind is done to draw us closer to God. From the time Adam sinned, we have been wayward children. A disobedient child is punished to show them they have gone the wrong way. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not (Heb. 12:7)?

God uses the spirit of judgment and the spirit of burning as means of chastening. These both give reference to the workings of the Holy Spirit. With judgment, the Holy Spirit punishes as a means to correct the one who has strayed from God. With burning, He purges out the unclean and impure things which led the individual to stray in the first place.

God tries to direct us away from doing wrong; however, He also provides forgiveness to us when we do. The perfect Son of God suffered punishment in place of all the imperfect created children of God. What better way could God have shown His love toward His creation? He gave His best for us.

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him (I John 4:9).

Thought for Today:

Those who do not know God are worse off than an ox or an ass.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will judge the nations (Is. 2:2-4). The Lord Jesus Christ . . .shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing (II Tim. 4:1).
Word Studies:

1:13 vain oblations, worthless sacrifices offered by hypocrites; 2:12 day of the LORD, the coming judgment upon the unfaithful as well as the time of rejoicing for the faithful; 3:18 cauls, and their round tires like the moon, headbands bejeweled with sun and moon ornaments; 3:22 crisping pins, money bags or purses; 3:24 stomacher, rich robe; 4:4 blood of Jerusalem, Jerusalem was guilty of killing innocent prophets.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Official: Rep. Sue Wilkins Myrick (NC) • Country: Nigeria (113.8 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and Hausa • Government permits all types of religious activity • 45% Muslim (largely Sunni); 40% Christian; 9% Indigenous; 6% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to God, for He hears your prayers and delivers you (Ps. 40:1-3).
Optional Reading: Hebrews 9

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk