Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 101 – 105
Highlights:

Let your spirit soar as you join King David singing and worshiping God the Righteous King in humility and glory. The reading closes with a historical retrospect and celebration of the Exodus from Egypt.
He hath remembered His covenant for ever, the word which He commanded to a thousand generations. Which covenant He made with Abraham, and His oath unto Isaac; And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant (Ps.105:8-10).

The Lord always remembers His promises. This is not to compare this covenant with just any promise. This is just to say that the Lord does not lie nor is there any deception in anything He says. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

You may have heard someone say, "God said it. I believe it. That makes it so." It is wonderful that we believe what the Lord says. However, when He speaks it, it is so. God's plan will move ahead with or without us.

The covenant the Lord made with His servant, Abraham, was a special one indeed. Abraham was God's chosen vessel from which God would birth a nation dedicated to Himself. Can you imagine being hand selected by God and being told that His chosen people will come through your bloodline? This honor had to have been overwhelming at the time. To be chosen of God for any work should always feel a little overwhelming. Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you (John 15:16).

This verse gives a very reassuring promise to the believer. When God chooses an individual for a cause, He equips that individual for all they must do. God prepares the road that He intends for us to walk down. Does this mean there are no potholes or stumbling blocks? No, to the contrary, there may even be some placed there by God Himself. If so, this is to ensure we are moving at His pace and learning all the lessons we need to be learning.

God equipped Abraham for this journey. He prepared Isaac and Jacob to carry on in this walk. The Lord worked in the hearts of leader after leader as this nation of God's people began to grow. Moses, Joshua, David and Solomon each in turn were guided by God to lead His people.

God never forgot the covenant He made with Abraham. He has blessed and preserved the nation of Israel for thousands of years. While the world stands, He will do the same for thousands more.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people (Heb. 8:10).

Thought for Today:

To avoid temptation the Psalmist said, I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes. (Ps. 101:3)
Christ Revealed:

As the One who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases (Ps. 103:3). Forgiveness of sin and the healing power of God describe the ministry of our Lord Jesus, who was sent to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord (Luke 4:18-19; Matt. 9:6).
Word Studies:

101:2 perfect heart, blameless; a heart of integrity; 101:4 froward heart, an obstinate and evil mind; 101:5 cut off, destroy; suffer, tolerate; 101:7 tarry, continue to dwell; 102:26 wax old, deteriorate; 104:9 bound, boundary; 104:13 chambers, dwelling place, heavens.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Government Official: Rep. Betty McCollum (MN) • Country: Malawi (10 million) in southeastern Africa • Major languages: English and Chichewa • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 23% Roman Catholic; 16% Muslim; 16% animist; 4% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for understanding of His will as you read the Word of God (Ps. 25:5).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:7

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 106 – 107
Highlights:

Want to take a 40 year trip? Travel with God's people as they relive their desert wanderings. They confess their sins, including: lusted (106:14), murmured (106:25), mingled (106:35), shed innocent blood (106:38). Finally, they praise God for their deliverance (Note 107:19-20). There is a refrain in 1,8,15,21,31.
Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions. Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against His people, insomuch that He abhorred His own inheritance. And He gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them (Ps.106:39-41).

The nation of Israel had gone terribly astray. They had chosen their own way instead of going God's way. Therefore, they were now reaping the consequences of their sinful seed sowing.

The writer uses very strong language in these Scriptures. It is obvious that he desires to convey the seriousness of what is happening here. This is another tragic instance of those who once followed God allowing themselves to be led away from the Lord. Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils (I Tim. 4:1).

Let us examine the verses to understand why this has happened and the punishment for the actions. The writer says they were "defiled with their own works". What manner of works can a person commit that can defile themselves? It is clear this did not happen as a result of the fruits of the spirit being manifested. It can then be concluded that it must have been the works of the flesh that brought about this defilement. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God (Gal. 5:19-21).

The psalmist goes on to say that they have committed spiritual adultery with the evil acts they have indulged in. They turned away from their relationship with God and chose to follow after their own lust. This happens all too often in society today. The Lord has said that sin will not go unpunished. The Word of God records here that the wrath of God was brought against Israel as a consequence of their sin. Sin will always be offensive to the Lord. He will ever hate sin. However, God will always love the sinner.

As punishment, they are turned over to their enemies. They will be ruled by those who despise them. As harsh as this sounds, always keep in mind, any punishment given by God is meant to bring us to correction in our lives.

For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness (Heb. 12:10).

Thought for Today:

Do difficulties in life cause you to complain or to seek the Lord?
Christ Revealed:

As the One who maketh the storm a calm (Ps. 107: 29). When Jesus calmed the storm, His awestruck disciples exclaimed: What manner of Man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him! (Matt. 8:27). Jesus offers to calm the storms of our lives and give us His peace (John 14:27).
Word Studies:

106:20 similitude, likeness; 106:29 inventions, deeds, acts; 106:30 stayed, stopped, checked; 107:11 contemned, despised, spurned.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Rob W. Bishop (UT) • Country: Malaysia (22.7 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Malay and English • All Christian witness to Muslims is illegal • 58% Muslim; 23% Buddhist/Taoist/Chinese; 8% Christian; 6% Hindu; 5% Sikh/Animist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to be merciful and to forgive your sins (Ps. 25:6-7).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 4

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 108 – 118
Highlights:

Picture David's mighty army singing as they go forth to battle singing 108! Have you ever had a friend turn on you? Apparently this is the occasion in 109 and we see David seeking vengeance. David prophetically speaks of Christ in His deity as King-Priest in 110. Then we rejoice with the writer in the hallelujah psalms (111-113) as Israel's God, the God of Jacob, is contrasted with Idols, as the unparalleled suffering is described and those who escape thank God. The Lord preserveth the simple (116:6). Then we see universal praise followed by the reason for it. Come on and exalt Messiah in 118 — whose mercy endureth forever.
The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes. This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it (Ps.118:22-24).

There are hundreds of prophecies in the Old Testament concerning the coming of the Messiah that come to fruition in the New Testament. All of these prophecies were fulfilled and manifested in one person, Jesus Christ. There is no doubt that He truly is the Son of God and the Savior for all mankind. And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35).

This is one of those prophecies. Jesus is the stone that the builder's rejected. He was cast aside by the hierarchy of the Church. They did not believe He was our Lord and Savior. This verse is even repeated in the New Testament. Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? (Matt. 21:42).

The denial of Christ by these leaders could not stop God's plan. Jesus was intended to be the foundational point upon which the true church of God would be built. It would happen exactly as God had planned. Jesus left His home in heaven, came to the earth and was born in humble surroundings. That did not stop true worshipers from recognizing, even then, the magnitude of the event that was happening.

Jesus would grow into a man. Even though the main part of His earthly ministry only lasted three years, He would change this world more than any who came before or after Him. He willingly laid down His life in our place. Jesus died so that we might live eternally. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life (Jude 1:21).

The story of Christ does not end at the cross. It does not end in the tomb. Jesus rose in victory over the evil enemies of all mankind. His resurrection gives us reason to celebrate. This is why we can say, "this is the day which the Lord has made."

Christ is Christianity. Without His sacrifice, where would the Church be? There may even be a better question. Why would the Church be? Praise the Lord that even though He was rejected, He became the "corner stone" of our lives.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (Matt. 16:18).

Thought for Today:

Are you allowing God's Word to be the light to guide your pathway?
Christ Revealed:

Christ quoted Psalm 118:22: The Stone which the builders refused (rejected) – to the chief priests and the Pharisees when they willfully rejected Him as the Messiah (Matt. 21:42-45).
Word Studies:

108:7 mete, measure; 109:23 declineth, fades away; 111:7 verity and judgment, truth and justice; 112:9 horn, strength, power; 114:8 standing, pool of; 116:3 compassed me, surrounded me, entangled me; 118:13 thrust sore at me that I might fall, pressed me to the point of collapse.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Susana Martinez (NM), Rep. Barbara J. Lee (CA), and Rep. Tom Latham (IA) • Country: Maldives (300,000) 400 miles southwest of Sri Lanka • Major languages: Divehi and English • Christian witnessing is banned • 99.9% Muslim; .1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the guidance of God in meekness (Ps. 25:9).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 119
Highlights:

The Word of God is exalted in every verse. This magnificent alphabetic acrostic (each of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet occurs eight times in the 22 sections) magnifies the Word of God. The Book of John tells us that Jesus is the Word and as He brings Light to all who trust Him, so does the written Word as shown in this chapter. Can you list the various ways Word is used throughout this reading? Law and precepts.
O how love I Thy law! it is my meditation all the day. Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation (Ps.119:97-99).

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. In reading through it, you will find several topics discussed, some things more than once.

We find that many times throughout the Word of God this is the case. The Bible is written in a way to build upon the messages that God seeks to convey to us. Lessons are reiterated, sometimes over and over, to make sure we get a grasp on the things God is wanting to do with our lives. Subjects such as grace, mercy, separated lifestyles and service to God are shared through different accounts multiple times.

The psalmist does this same thing in speaking of his love for the law of God. This is a love for God's Word. He goes as far as to say that "it is my meditation all the day". We are all called to be students of the Word of God. Would not our lives be totally transformed if we studied God's Word this much? Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all (I Tim. 4:15).

The psalmist goes on to show that this is very true for his life. He has found himself to have more wisdom because of following God's commandments. This would be true for anyone that would apply the laws and precepts of God towards the making of decisions. Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps. 119:105).

If we follow after the Bible and live by its teachings, we will find that the choices of our life will continually take us to the places that God desires us to be. But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22). Not only will we find ourselves positioned by God, we will have better understanding of why we are there. This is not always the case for those who make their own life choices. Often times, they have no clue where they are in life or how they arrived there.

The psalmist repeats himself about meditating on the things of God. We can learn from this by keeping a quiet time for the Lord. This time belongs to you and God everyday. This should be a time with no distractions. While it is true you can pray while doing other things, and you might even be able to listen to a recording of the Bible while you are busy. This is not the same as quiet time. We need time with God alone so we can truly hear from Him. Meditate on the things of God daily.

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (I Thes. 2:13).

Thought for Today:

ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable (II Tim. 3:16).
Christ Revealed:

By the psalmist who delighted in the Commandments of God (Ps. 119: 47). Christ said: I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me (John 6:38; 15:10).
Word Studies:

119:1 undefiled, blameless; 119:7 uprightness of heart, sincere intentions; 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust, I am very discouraged; quicken thou me, restore my life; 119:28 melteth for heaviness, is weary because of grief; 119:83 am become like a bottle in the smoke, shrivel like a wineskin in the smoke.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by James and Ida Drost • Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL), Rep. Daniel W. Lipinski (IL), Rep. David N. Cicilline (RI), and Rep. Mac Thornberry (TX) • Country: Mali (10 million) in West Africa • Major languages: French and Bambara • Religious freedom despite Muslim majority • 81% Muslim; 17% animism and spirit worship; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to forgive your sins (Ps. 25:11).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 120 – 131
Highlights:

Just as we pray in our hearts for help for our needs, protection from our enemies, or give joyful praise to God, these people sang these psalms as they journeyed to Jerusalem to the sacred feasts. Don't miss reading some special verses which stand out (121:1; 122:1,6; 125:2; 126:6; 131:3).
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth (Ps. 121:1-2).

Many times in life we as believers may be surrounded by troubles on every side. The enemy may come against us from all directions, and it may seem as if we are about to be overtaken by all the things that are going wrong. But it only seems this way.

The psalmist gives us his secret to survival. He gives us his key to getting through these difficult days. He shares with us the reason we never need experience total defeat.

The thing that we have to do to gain help is not difficult. We simply need to cast our eyes toward heaven. We need to look to our Savior, Jesus Christ, who completed our victory at the cross of Calvary. Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God (Heb. 12:25).

The words that open this Psalm should be an encouragement to all believers in Christ. At times, the battle may rage hard. There may even come a time that it seems like we are on the verge of defeat. However, defeat will not come our way as long as our trust and dependence is placed in Jesus. We may still be in the battle, but the war is already won. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us (Rom. 8:37).

We have a promise of where our help will come from. We need not place our trust in man-made devices. We don't have to trust in our own strength. The battle is not ours. It belongs to the Lord. David spoke boldly to the giant Goliath just before his defeat; the battle is the LORD's and He will give you into our hands (I Sam. 17:47).

God is our defender. He is our protector. Many times in the Book of Psalms, God is referred to with words like refuge, mighty tower or our rock. All these are places of defense. That is what the Lord is to us. We need only call on Him with believing faith and He will answer.

The psalmist sums up these verses with a word of reassurance. To remove any doubt in our hearts, he gives one final testimony to the power of God. He states that God made the heaven and the earth. What then can defeat the child of God? Our Father is the Creator of all things. Our Lord and Savior defeated the devil for all time. We are victorious because God is victorious.

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith (I John 5:4).

Thought for Today:

When faced with an important decision, is your first impulse to seek the Lord?
Christ Revealed:

As our Protector – the One who shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in (Ps. 121:8). By Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture (John 10:9). And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly Kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen (II Tim. 4:18).
Word Studies:

130:3 mark, record; 130:4 feared, reverenced with awe; 131:1 exercise, concern; too high for me, far beyond me.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Officials: Rep. Mike D. Rogers (AL), Rep. Donald M. Payne (NJ), and Rep. Tim J. Ryan (OH) • Country:Malta (388,000) about 60 miles south of Sicily • Major languages: Maltese and English • Religious freedom • 97% Christian; 1.7% non- Religious/other; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Declare the wondrous works of God with thanksgiving (Ps. 26:6-7).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 132 – 138
Highlights:

Can we even count the number of times the Lord rescued David? We know he never lost a war. These first five chapters are full of trust and love for the Lord as David recalls the blessings and contrasts the One True God with worthless idols, and proclaims His enduring mercy. Do you think we qualify as His peculiar treasure (135:4; Exodus 19:5)? Psalm 136 was sung during Passover. Feel their sorrow as Psalm 137 is sung by the exiles longing for home.
O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good: for His mercy endureth for ever. O give thanks unto the God of gods: for His mercy endureth for ever. O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for His mercy endureth for ever (Ps. 136:1-3).

The psalmist is stressing something here that every saint of God needs to do. He repeats himself to convey the importance of the point. It probably goes without saying that this is more than any mere suggestion.

The Lord deserves every bit of thanks that we give to Him. He is responsible for every good thing in this world. As a matter of fact, everything good happens only because of God. The entire world exists because of Him. That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus (Phlm. 1:6).

God sent His Son to lay His life down on Calvary's cross. He did this so that all people in this world might have the opportunity to surrender their lives to Him, and thereby be justified by their faith in Christ and obtain salvation. Could God possibly give this world a better gift? The answer is clearly no. There is no greater thing that could happen to man than to have his sins erased and wiped clean forever. The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29).

If that was all God did for us, it would be enough for all times sake. However, He has done so much more than that. The blessings of God that are bestowed upon His people are abundant in quantity and exceptional in quality. He deserves our thanksgiving to be offered up to Him over and over for all He has done. Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen (Rev. 7:12).

The psalmist gives one of the best reasons to offer praise to God. That is that He has given all mankind His mercy, which goes on and on, giving all individuals the chance to accept the free gift of salvation that can only come from Christ. God has made a way that His mercy will be available as long as man has a chance to be saved. Doesn't the Lord deserve all the thanks we can give Him for this gift of His enduring mercy, which carries us from damnation to life everlasting?

Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of His knowledge by us in every place (II Cor. 2:14).

Thought for Today:

When brethren dwell together in unity, God is very pleased.
Christ Revealed:

As the Descendant of David, who would sit upon David's throne (Ps. 132:11). He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:32; Acts 2:29-30).
Word Studies:

132:6 Ephratah, the district in which Bethlehem was located; 132:11 fruit, offspring; 132:17 horn, authority, power; bud, flourish; 135:4 Jacob . . . His peculiar treasure, the people of God are God's own possession; 135:14 will repent Himself concerning His servants, will have compassion upon His people; 136:12 a stretched out arm, mighty power; 137:3 wasted, plundered; 137:4 strange, foreign; 137:7 Rase, Overthrow, Destroy, Demolish.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Country: Mauritania (2.6 million) in western Africa • Major language: Hasaniya Arabic • Islamic state with no mission work allowed • 99+% Muslim (predominantly Sunni); .2% Christian (predominantly foreigners) • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord in times of trouble; He will shelter you (Ps. 27:5).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 139 – 143
Highlights:

Psalm 139 proclaims God's universal presence and infinite knowledge and how He knows our every thought, word, and deed. This could be anyone of us speaking to God.The closing prayer is one of the most needed prayers in the whole Bible. The last four psalms are David's heartfelt pleas for protection.
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Ps. 139:23-24).

The Psalms are written as songs, praises and prayers to God. They are often very personal to the particular psalmist who wrote them. The thing to remember is that we are not so different from these writers. We are ordinary people just trying to live a life dedicated to the Lord. Some might say these psalmists were not ordinary people; especially since David, the king, wrote a good portion of these Psalms. He definitely was a king, but his relationship with God is just like ours, a child who craves the love and attention of a loving father. For there is no respect of persons with God (Rom. 2:11).

This is why so often the Psalms speak to our hearts so deeply. This is why there may be times when we read these Scriptures that we feel like the writer is writing our very thoughts. Maybe we even think we could have written them ourselves because they so reflect our heart. These would most likely be the feelings that today's particular verses evoke. These verses call out to the heart of our God. They represent a prayer that we can all pray.

The psalmist begins by asking the Lord to search him. He wants God to know his heart and thoughts. This may be a fearful prayer to pray. What if our heart and thoughts are away from the will of God? It is then all the more important for God to see these places so He can reveal them to us. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you (Phil. 3:15).

The psalmist knows that this is possible. He makes it part of his prayer to ask God to see if he is wrong in any way. It is only when our sin is revealed to us that we can overcome it. We must admit our wrongdoings as part of the repentance process.

The psalmist concludes by asking God to lead him in a way that leads to eternal life. It is obvious that living a life consecrated to God was the priority of his life. This prayer reveals the commitment that he had to living a God-directed life.

As was said before, we often times can relate to the feelings of the writer of the Psalm. This should most definitely be one of those times. We should have the same desires in our heart as the psalmist had in his. We should also desire to live a life that is directed by God.

Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come (John 16:13).

Thought for Today:

Remember, God knows every thought and every word that we express (Ps. 139:2,4).
Christ Revealed:

As the One who deals bountifully with us (Ps. 142:7). I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10; Eph. 3:20).
Word Studies:

139:15 curiously wrought, skillfully fashioned; 140:5 gins, lures, snares; 141:7 Our bones are scattered, Overwhelming destruction is contemplated; 143:3 smitten, crushed, struck.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Government Official: Rep. Mike Coffman (CO) • Country: Mauritius (1 million) 500 miles east of Madagascar • Major languages: English and Creole • Limited religious freedom • 50% Hindu; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% Muslim; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to teach you His ways (Ps. 27:11).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 144 – 150
Highlights:

We open with one of David's battle songs as he marches forth to war. The second is victory coming out of battle. The last five psalms are a grand outburst of Hallelujah songs to the majesty of our Lord. God reigns; let all creation praise God; let the angels praise God; let the Saints praise God; HALLELUJAH, praise God!
LORD, what is man, that Thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that Thou makest account of him! Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away (Ps. 144:3-4).

The psalmist asks a question that truly reveals God's great love for mankind. Some might say that they don't see that in these verses. Let us analyze what the writer is saying.

The psalmist is praying to God and asking Him, "what is man". This question is not really about man, but about God. The question is asking God why does He value man so much. The writer wants to know why it is man in whom the plan of God works.

The writer goes on to say that man is vain in nature. He also says that man's days are not long. He is here and then gone. Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away (James 4:14).

It seems the psalmist is asking, what good is man? What can his brief life accomplish? How could man be a benefit to God?

But God looks at man and sees something of great value. This is because He sees us for who we can be and not who we are. God is in the business of transforming the hearts and lives of men into those worthy to be servants in God's kingdom. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life (Rom. 6:22).

God saw enough value in man that Jesus came to this earth and laid His life down for all mankind. The Lord looked at mankind and loved us enough to send heaven's greatest treasure to suffer and die in our place. God did this so that we would have the opportunity to spend all of eternity with Him in heaven. Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works (Titus 2:14).

There are many that, at times, lack self-confidence. They belittle their own worth or maybe even the worth of others. The next time you question your own value or the value of another person, think about these verses. God saw us as we are and still valued us highly. As a matter of fact, He placed the highest price possible on us. Our value was so great that it cost the life of Jesus Christ.

For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's (I Cor. 6:20).

Thought for Today:

The more we learn to praise the Lord, the more prepared we are for heaven.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who gives sight to the blind (Ps. 146:8). Jesus Christ opened blind eyes. Then touched He their eyes . . . . And their eyes were opened (Matt. 9:27-30; Mark 10:46-52; John 9:1-41).
Word Studies:

144:7 rid, rescue; 144:13 garners, grain storehouses; streets, fields; 145:3 unsearchable, beyond our understanding; 147:4 telleth, counts; 148:7 dragons, large sea animals.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: Sponsored by Robert & Mary Tozier • Government Official: Rep. John B.T. Campbell III (CA) • Country: Mexico (99.7 million) in North America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 89% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3.5% None; 1.5% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Thank the Lord for hearing your prayers (Ps. 28:6-7).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 1 – 3
Highlights:

Live and learn! The theme of Proverbs is wisdom. It is kind of an extended commentary on Matthew 7:24-27 and teaches in comparison or contrast. Keep in mind that knowledge is the ability to acquire facts, and wisdom the ability to rightfully apply those facts (2:1-6). The wise are protected and preserved (2:8; 3:5-6), In contrast he points out the simple, the fool, and the scorner (1:4,7; 3:34) because there's a price if wisdom is rejected (1:24-28).
Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee (Prov. 3:27-28).

Proverbs provides its readers with much wisdom by which to live their lives. This book is an excellent guide, instructing the reader how to walk through life following godly wisdom. There are few decisions that a person could encounter that Proverbs would not help.

The advice given here in these Scriptures from the Book of Proverbs should be of use to every believer. As we try to live our lives for Christ, we seek to be fair and helpful people. These verses clearly lend themselves to that sort of lifestyle. If we look at the verses carefully, we can really find two lessons in them. The first is, if you owe something, pay it. The writer states not to keep anything from a person that is due them. This is a major problem in today's society. There are many out there who are living far beyond their means. This is a dangerous place to live. Many simply leave much that they owe unpaid. This is certainly against God's will. There are many families and friendships torn apart over money that was loaned or borrowed. It is not advisable to do either of these two things. Scripture tells us that, The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender (Prov. 22:7).

The second piece of advice from these verses is one that instructs us to be charitable when we can. There are many times when it is in our power to help the less fortunate around us. In these instances, we should do our best to represent Christ in a positive light. How did Jesus reach out to those in need? The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; He hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised (Luke 4:18).

These two pieces of wisdom, if applied to our lives, will help bring our finances into God's will. That is, however, only one small part of the blessing we can see on our lives. We need to let the Word of God lead and direct our lives, not just in part, but in whole.

Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord (Col. 3:16).

Thought for Today:

Wisdom is not automatic. It comes to those who earnestly seek for it.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator who founded the earth . . . He established the heavens (Prov. 3:19). All things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16; Eph. 3:9; Heb. 1:2-3).
Word Studies:

1:4 give subtilty to the simple, impart insight (prudence) to the teachable; 1:11 lurk privily, wait secretly; 1:28 early, diligently; 2:1 hide . . . with thee, receive and treasure My Commandments in your heart; 2:7 buckler, a shield used in hand-to-hand combat; 2:12 froward, opposed to God; 2:16 strange woman, adulteress; 3:26 thy foot from being taken, your life from all danger.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Moldova (4.3 million) southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 66% Russian/Romanian Orthodox; 2.5% Catholic (Greek and Roman); 1.7% Protestant (mainly Baptist); 1.5% Jewish; .2% Muslim; 28.1% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord (Ps. 30:4).
Optional Reading: Titus 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 4 – 7
Highlights:

How often have we heard someone say they wished they knew what they know now when they were young? Hear the instruction of a father (4:1) to spare the child heartache and misery. The pitfalls of wicked living, bad company, immorality, and temptation. Don't miss the right way to live (4:18,20-22)! Mark down the seven things that the LORD hates (6:16-19). Again a simple person is pointed out and his destination predicted (7:7; 7:24-27).
Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil (Prov. 4:25-27).

When we waver off of the Lord's path, we are headed for certain trouble. That is what the writer is warning us of here in these Scriptures. We should make these verses a must to be applied to our lives.

There is great wisdom in these words. He instructs us to keep our eyes centered on the direction we are traveling. Of course, this assumes we are on the Lord's intended road for our lives. If we follow His road, He will make our way clear. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth (Luke 3:5).

The writer further goes on to say not to walk in evil ways or evil places. We must be careful not only to watch our steps, but to walk the path that the Lord shows us. Many times we may know the right way to go and still not head in that direction. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin (James 4:17).

The enemy will use every tool at his disposal to draw us off the path the Lord has us walking down. He will entice us to sin in more ways than one. Often times, the devil will come from many angles. He has many devices in his repertoire of weapons. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world (I John 2:16).

As believers, sometimes in our decision making we use the thought process of just choosing the lesser of two evils. That is flawed thinking. There is always a right choice. Sometimes the right choice might not seem like a good choice, but it doesn't have to as long as it's a God choice.

Where do we find the answers and directions we need in life? We find them in our prayer life by the guidance of the Holy Ghost and in our study time with the Word of God. In these, we find the path that the Lord would have us follow.

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it (I Cor. 10:13).

Thought for Today:

Godly wisdom gives the power to overcome temptation. (Prov.4: 11-13)
Christ Revealed:

By the teacher of wisdom (Prov. 4:7,11). Christ is the Teacher in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:3).
Word Studies:

4:12 straitened, hindered; 4:13 fast, firm; 4:24 froward mouth, deceitful talk; 5:3 strange, adulterous; 5:6 moveable, irresponsible, unstable; 5:19 ravished, delighted; 5:22 holden with the cords of his sins, ensnared, held fast by the control of his sins; 6:12 naughty, worthless, wicked; 6:26 whorish woman, prostitute; 7:10 subtil, deceitful; 7:18 solace, delight, enjoy.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Dannel Patrick Malloy (CT), Rep. Edolphus Towns (NY), Rep. James E. Clyburn (SC), Rep. Mick Michael Mulvaney (SC), Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr. (TN), Rep. Phil Roe (TN), and Sen. John Anthony Barrasso (WY) • Country: Monaco (32,000) in southeastern France • Major languages: French and English • No open evangelism permitted • 90% Roman Catholic; 7% Protestant; 1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Confess your sins to the Lord; He is quick to forgive (Ps. 32:5).
Optional Reading: Titus 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:9

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk