Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 27 – 29
Highlights:

Solomon encouraged to build the Temple; David's gifts for the Temple; his thanks and prayer; Solomon made king; David's death
Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colours, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance (I Chr. 29:2).

David had a desire in his heart to build a Temple for the Lord. Because he was a man of war, he was not allowed to do this. His son, Solomon, was to one day take his place as king. When that happened, Solomon would be allowed to build this Temple for God.

Though David would not be allowed to build the Temple of God, this did not mean he could not help prepare the way. He knew Solomon was young and he would have many responsibilities as king. Therefore, David would ensure that everything Solomon would need would be at his disposal.

It would be easy to argue that David had just as important a role in the construction of the Temple as Solomon did. David had no concern about what part he might be credited with. He simply wanted to make sure that the Temple was built. It was the passion of his heart to see it done. So, he did all he could to prepare for it.

Just as with David and the Temple, the things we want to do for God may not always be the things He calls us to do. For instance, you might have an individual that wants to preach or teach or sing for the Lord. However, God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? (I Cor. 12:28-29). God may have completely different plans for that person. If they continue doing something God has not called them to do, this in the end will not be good for the person or the Kingdom of God.

We need to handle this situation as David handled it. The role we desire to play in the work of the Lord may not be intended for us. This part may be given to someone else. What will our reaction be? Will we rebel against what God has for us? Or will we accept the part God gives us and rejoice for being included? It is important to go the direction God calls you to go and support others as they do the same. This will allow us to effectively use the gifts God has given us.

God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to His own will (Heb. 2:4).

Thought for Today:

Anyone can praise God under good circumstances, but the true test comes in praising Him in the hard times.
Christ Revealed:

Through the gold offered for the Temple by David from his personal wealth (I Chr. 29:3-5). Gold is the purest metal (Rev. 21:21) and represents the preciousness and great worth of Christ. He is pure (undefiled) (I John 3:3).
Word Studies:

27:2course, division; 28:19works, details; 29:1 tender, inexperienced; 29:3proper good, personal treasure; 29:15 none abiding, soon gone; 29:19 palace, Temple
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Wally Herger (CA), Rep. John C. Carney, Jr. (DE), Sen. Mike Crapo (ID) and Rep. Nick J. Rahall II (WV) • Country:Egypt (66 million) in northeastern Africa • Major languages: Arabic and English • Christians are not permitted to evangelize Muslims • 87.5% Muslim; 12% Christian; .5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede for others (Ex. 32:31-32).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 7

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:41

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 1 – 3
Highlights:

Solomon's sacrifices; his dream; his accumulation of chariots and horsemen; Solomon builds the Temple
Behold, I build an house to the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to Him, and to burn before Him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel (II Chr. 2:4).

There is much in this month's readings about the construction of the Temple of the Lord. There is everything from what led to the building, to how it would be built, to the materials to be used in it. There are even scriptures following the construction which concern matters that speak of the worship there.

We have already discussed many of these details this month. We have discussed David's preparation by gathering materials. We have discussed Solomon being the one to build the Temple.

Upon examining II Chr. 2:4, it reveals itself to be very life applicable. There is an understanding that this verse is speaking of the actual physical Temple of God. The relationship that God has with His people today is very different than in those times. The Spirit of God dwells in a different Temple today. Jesus was telling this to those who were listening.Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this Temple, and in three days I will raise it up (John 2:19). Of course, Jesus was speaking of Himself.

In a different set of scripture, the Word of God would reveal that the Spirit of God would come to live in the individual believer. What? Know ye not that your body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (I Cor. 6:19). We, ourselves, are now the Temple of the Holy Ghost. Our interaction with God is no longer external since God the Holy Spirit dwells internally.

This verse contains elements that can still pertain to the Temple today. That temple being us. Our lives should be built for the name of the Lord. They are to honor Him. Furthermore, we should be dedicated to God and to the task He calls us to do. Our very existence should be as a sweet smell to God as we give our lives as an offering for Him. This is His covenant with us forever. As you can see, from these verses the Lord intends for us to not only apply His Words in a verbal manner but also in a spiritual context to our individual lives.

Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual (I Cor. 15:46).

Thought for Today:

The desire for material gain always pulls us away from God's will for our lives. Many gifted people forsake the Lord to satisfy their own greed.
Christ Revealed:

By the thousand burnt offerings of Solomon (II Chr. 1:6). We can be thankful that the one perfect offering of Christ on the cross did away with the need for many and continual individual offerings. He died unto sin once (for all) (Rom. 6:10; Heb. 10:10-12,14).
Word Studies:

2:2 told out, assigned; 2:7 cunning, skilled; can skill to grave, has skill to engrave; 2:14 find out every device, execute any design; 2:16 floats, rafts; 3:1 affinity, alliance by marriage to Pharaoh's daughter; 3:5 cieled, paneled; 3:10 of image work, fashioned by carving; 3:16 oracle, Holy of Holies.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Official: Sen. Al Franken (MN) • Country:El Salvador (5.9 million) in Central America • Major language: Spanish • Some intolerance of Protestants by government officials • 75% Catholic; 20% Protestant; .5% Baha'i; 2.5% Other; 2% None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask God to show you His ways (Ex. 33:13).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 4 – 6
Highlights:

Temple furnishings; Ark brought into the Temple; cloud of the Lord's presence fills the Temple; Solomon's prayer of dedication
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the Lord, saying, For He is good; for His mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord (II Chr. 5:13).

This looks to have been an exciting praise and worship service to the Lord. There was much reason to celebrate. Their enemies were all but gone. The Temple was complete. The Ark was being brought up to be placed in the Temple. It would seem all of Israel had come out for this celebration. There were plenty of reasons for this to happen. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in His Tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord (Ps. 27:6).

We see in this verse the results of this tremendous session of praise. A great cloud came in and filled the Temple. The priests themselves became overwhelmed. This cloud was the glory of the Lord. But Thou art holy, O Thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel (Ps. 22:3).

This scripture shows us very clearly that when we surrender ourselves in praise to God, He will show up. The nation of Israel put aside all their differences and came together for one purpose; to offer praise, worship and thanksgiving to God. Their praises brought the Spirit of God to the scene.

The same thing can and will happen today. You might say that you have been in some pretty good church services and you never saw a cloud fill the place up. That is probably true for most of us. That does not mean that we have not been in the presence of the Holy Spirit.

There may not have been a cloud, but most believers have seen the Holy Spirit at work. We have seen the hearts of the lost touched, who then surrendered to Jesus. We have seen the Lord come into a family and heal a broken relationship. We have felt that same Holy Spirit touch our own hearts and draw us to make Jesus the Lord and Savior of our lives. These situations and many others like them definitely reveal the Spirit of the Lord as did the cloud of glory of old. Yes, God is still on the throne; Jesus still saves (Luke 19:10). The Holy Spirit still reveals the Truth of Salvation. Now is the time to tell others the good news of Jesus while there is still time

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise (Eph. 1:13).

Thought for Today:

We have a great privilege to live under the grace of God, but grace does not mean we have a license to sin.
Christ Revealed:

Through Solomon's prayer to God (II Chr. 6:14). Jesus is God: I and My Father are One (John 10:30; 17:22; 1:1; I John 5:7-8).
Word Studies:

4:2: molten sea, large metal, round basin; 4:22 censers, incense burners; 6:10 room, throne of Israel; 6:24 be put to the worse, are defeated; 6:28 dearth, famine; blasting, blight; sore, plague; 6:40 attent, attentive.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone •Internet Radio in honor of Bruce Rutherford's birthday • Government Officials: Sen. Lisa Murkowski (AK), Rep. John P. Sarbanes (MD) and Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA) • Country: Equatorial Guinea (466,000) in western Africa • Major language: Spanish •Freedom for churches at this time •71% Roman Catholic; 19% ancestral spirit worship and medicine men; 6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Bow before the Lord in a godly reverence as you pray and worship (Ex. 34:8).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 7 – 9
Highlights:

Solomon's sacrifices; glory of the Lord; God appears to Solomon; Queen of Sheba visits Solomon; his riches and fame; his death
If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chr. 7:14).

For any person that has spent much time in church, this verse is probably fairly well known to them. If that same person has been to very many revivals, they have most likely heard this verse used in preaching. This verse is sometimes even called the revival verse. Of course, this is rightfully so.

There is no doubt, if the directions of this verse are followed, they can bring about great change. There is little doubt revival could be brought to a family, a church, a town or even a nation. The greatest need is that someone has to begin. And it can only begin with one's self. Once we do as the verse says, change will come in ourselves, our house, our community and country.

Many times in examining this verse, we simply discuss the results of following it. We might speak of the change revival brings. However, personal revival can only begin as we take the actions in this verse. Let us examine our part and how God will respond.

The first three parts seem to fall right together. We are commanded to humble ourselves, pray and seek the face of God. We humble ourselves in prayer before God in order to seek His face. In humbling ourselves, praying and seeking God's face, we are turning our will over to Him in order to follow His will. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

Our second part in this transformation is turning away from our sin. The Lord is calling His people to repentance. This joins with the first part of having our will give way to God's will. Sin is selfish. When we act in God's will, sin will be limited. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is My brother, and My sister, and mother (Mark 3:35).

If we sincerely follow through with these actions, God will react. We will get an answer from heaven. God will forgive our sin. He will bring healing to our families, churches, towns and nation. Let us utilize this scripture and the entire Word of God to change our lives and the world around us.

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him (Acts 10:38).

Thought for Today:

Although often well disguised by false religion, there is a true hunger in all mankind to know the One True God.
Christ Revealed:

Through the glory of Solomon's kingdom (II Chr. 9:1-28). Even though Solomon had a rich and glorious kingdom, it cannot begin to compare to Christ's coming Kingdom.The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it (Rev. 22:1-5).
Word Studies:

7:11 prosperously effected, successfully accomplished all that God had planned for him to do, 7:14 seek My Face, seek My will through My Word; 8:5 nether, lower; 8:16 perfected, completed; 9:1 prove, test; 9:14 chapmen, merchant traders; 9:15 targets, large shields; 9:18 stays, armrests; 9:24 harness, armor; 9:26 the river, the Euphrates River.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Internet Radio sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Country: Eritrea (4 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Tigrinya Religious persecution • 51% Muslim; 40% Eritrean Orthodox; 4% Catholic; 1.5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the Lord's blessings and peace upon His children (Num. 6:24-27).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 10 – 13
Highlights:

Rehoboam succeeds Solomon; Jeroboam leads revolt of the 10 tribes; Rehoboam forsakes the Law of God; Shishak invades Judah
And it came to pass, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom, and had strengthened himself, he forsook the law of the LORD, and all Israel with him (II Chr. 12:1).

The nation of Israel had become divided after the death of Solomon. They had broken off into two nations, Israel and Judah. The nations of Judah was mainly made up of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. The nation of Israel was made up of the remaining tribes.

As it has been discussed before, there would be a long line of kings for both these nation over the course of hundreds of years. The kings of Israel were virtually all evil. Judah would have some kings that followed God and others that did not. Jeroboam the king, in a very brief time turned Israel to false gods.

After Solomon's death his son Rehoboam became King of the nation of Judah. It was his error in judgment and prophecy that brought about the division of the kingdom. The tribe of Benjamin remained with Judah as a nation. The other tribes felt oppression from the words of Rehoboam and left him to rule over Judah. All the priests of the Lord came to Judah and Jerusalem to be able to serve God. Therefore, the kingdom of Judah and Rehoboam were strengthened for following the Lord. The Lord had made an example of doing this to those that showed obedience like Joseph. And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house (Acts 7:10).

Sadly, just like many others, Rehoboam came to a point that he turned his back on God for a time. God then pronounced judgment over the nation for their sin against Him by allowing them to be overtaken by Egypt.

While they were being oppressed, the prophet of God came to Rehoboam and the other leaders to tell them of their sin. He, also explained that this was why they were being conquered by Egypt.

Rehoboam and the princes repented of their sin. The Lord heard their prayers and chose to spare them from being destroyed. They would, however, for a time have to serve Egypt. This would be the penalty for their sinsFor if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward (Heb.2:2).

Through this the Lord is teaching us that it is His perfect will that we live in obedience to God. However, If we do fall into sin, God wants to forgive us. We simply must turn our hearts towards Christ and repent.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent (Acts 17:30).

Thought for Today:

When our pride tries to lift us up above God, a fall is the next thing to come.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Golden Candlestick (Lampstand) (II Chr. 13:11). Jesus is the Light of the world (John 9:5).
Word Studies:

10:4 yoke grievous, heavy, severe burdens; 10:10 loins, waist; 11:12 every several, each separate.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Leon and Ann Hathway • Government Officials: Rep. Doug Lamborn (CO), Rep. Charlie W. Dent (PA) and Rep. Steve Cohen (TN)• Country: Estonia (1.47 million) northeastern Europe • Major languages: Estonian and Russian Religious freedom •38.4% Protestant; 20.3% Orthodox; 1% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim; .3% Jewish; 39% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for His mercy (Num. 12:11-14).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 14 – 17
Highlights:

King Asa's reforms; his covenant with God; his treaty with Syria (Aram); Asa rebuked by Hanani; Asa's death; Jehoshaphat succeeds Asa
Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the LORD our God, we have sought Him, and He hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered (II Chr. 14:7).

Asa was one of the kings of Judah who followed the direction of the Lord. He tore down the altars that had been built to worship false gods by those that had come before him. He also took away all the idols and cut down all the groves.

He commanded that Judah would serve the Lord. He also commanded that they would follow the laws and commandments of God. He made all the necessary movements to turn Judah back to following the Lord.

As a result of the God-fearing actions of Asa, the nation of Judah experienced a time of great peace. Therefore, instead of being forced to utilize resources on war, they were able to build cities that were fortified. This appeared to be a time of prosperity in Judah. The Lord would have us blessed, more so spiritually than physically. Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth (III John 1:2).

There should be little surprise that the nation prospered and events transpired the way they did. Following God will always pay off in life. Although we do not serve God for earthly rewards, there are often many of those kinds of blessings as we walk with God. These blessings could be physical, but they are even more likely to be spiritual in nature. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ (Eph. 1:3).

Think about the actual blessing that was given to Asa and Judah here. It might seem to be the prosperity. Some might say it was the ability to increase the nation by building. Others might cite the protection they would be allowed from the walls and other construction.

The real blessing here was peace. It was because it was a time of peace that all the other things transpired. Too often in life, the physical blessing is valued over the spiritual. This particular time of peace was really both physical and spiritual.

Peace, in the spiritual sense, is a blessing from God. It can't truly be found outside of God. It is an inner peace that comes only through belonging to Christ and living a life dedicated to God and it is available to all of us.

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid (John 14:27).

Thought for Today:

It is not beauty, strength or wealth that makes us great, but only faithfulness to obey God's Word.
Christ Revealed:

Through the rest that God gave Judah (II Chr. 14:7). Jesus pleads: Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28).
Word Studies:

14:15 tents of cattle, tents of the cattle herders; 15:5 vexations, disturbances, troubles, turmoil; 15:16 mother, grandmother; stamped it, crushed it to dust; 16:14 sepulchres, tombs; 17:12 waxed great exceedingly, became increasingly powerful; castles, fortresses, strongholds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Ed Whitfield (KY) and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (MN) • Country: Ethiopia (60 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Amharic and Tigrinya • Unsettled after overthrow of communist regime • 41% Eastern Orthodox; 35% Muslim; 10% Protestant; 10% animist; .7% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 14:13-19).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 18 – 20
Highlights:

Jehoshaphat allied himself with Ahab; death of Ahab; Jehoshaphat's national reformation; death of Jehoshaphat
And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD (II Chr. 19:2).

Jehoshaphat was a king of Judah. He was a king that served the Lord. During his reign, he had torn down idols and destroyed groves that were made for other gods. He followed the commandments of the Lord and sought God's direction in his ruling over Judah.

If you are just looking at this one verse, it would be difficult to see those facts about Jehoshaphat. That is why it is so important to read the Word of God from cover to cover. God has given us His Word as a complete guide to our lives. Think of it as a recipe for life. There is not much chance of preparing a dish right without using the entire recipe. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Matt. 4:4). Notice the words of Christ as He says "every word".

The mistake Jehoshaphat made was joining in an alliance with Ahab, king of Israel. Ahab was a very evil man who had hunted down the prophets of God. He, himself, followed after false gods.

A true prophet of God warned Jehoshaphat and Ahab of the error in them going to war together against Syria. Ahab had this prophet, who was faithful to the Word of God, thrown into prison. Disregarding the prophet's warning, they went out to fight Syria together. It was a disaster, but the Lord mercifully protected Jehoshaphat in that he survived.

The Lord sent Jehu to show Jehoshaphat that He was disappointed in his actions. God wanted him to understand that promoting evil in any way is sin. Though Jehoshaphat did not become like Ahab, he did transgress against God. God's law is God's law. There is no big sin and little sin. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all (James 2:10).

There may be no differences in the weight of the law of God, but there are differences in the consequences of the violation of God's law. Some of these might have physical consequences and others spiritual. Yet others may have both.

God looked at the whole picture of what had transpired with Jehoshaphat. Yes, he sinned, but he turned his heart back to God. Therefore God saw this, and the good he had done and would continue doing. We can always trust God to be a just and compassionate Father in our own lives and that of others. God is always a God of mercy before being a God of wrath.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need (Heb. 4:16).

Thought for Today:

All too often our children are affected by our disobedience to God's Word. That's why we must teach them His Word and own up to our failures.
Christ Revealed:

By Micaiah, who told the Truth even though it was unpopular with his listeners (II Chr. 18:12-27). We are reminded of Christ when He spoke the unpopular Truth to the Pharisees (Matt. 12:1-14). Jesus responded:Now ye seek to kill Me, a Man that hath told you the Truth, which I have heard of God (John 8:40).
Word Studies:

18:1 joined affinity, allied himself by the marriage of his son to Ahab's daughter; 18:9 a void place, an open area near the city entrance; 18:15 adjure, command under oath; 18:33 at a venture, randomly without aim; harness, armor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Richard B. Nugent (FL), Rep. Janice Schakowsky (IL) and Sen. Kay Hagan (NC) • Country: Fiji (813,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Fijian • Religious freedom • 41% Hindu; 40% Protestant; 9% Roman Catholic; 8% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 21:7).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 119:157

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 21 – 24
Highlights:

Jehoram's, Ahaziah's and Athaliah's reigns; prophecy of Elijah; Joash becomes king and repairs the Temple; the nation turns to idolatry
Now it came to pass, that at what time the chest was brought unto the king's office by the hand of the Levites, and when they saw that there was much money, the king's scribe and the high priest's officer came and emptied the chest, and took it, and carried it to his place again. Thus they did day by day, and gathered money in abundance (II Chr. 24:11).

The house of the Lord had been damaged greatly by His enemies and evil doers in past times. When Joash became king over Judah, he realized the Lord's house was in need of great repair. He made this a priority in his reign as king.

Joash called Jehoiada, who was chief of the priests, and the other priests and Levites together. He asked Jehoiada why the collections had not been made by the Levites as commanded by God through Moses. He told them to go throughout the nation taking up the collections to repair God's house.

So, they built a chest and set it in front of God's house. The word was spread all throughout the land that the collection was to be brought and placed in the chest. This was to be done as Moses commanded many generations before. This instruction carries on through the teachings of the New Testament. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver (II Cor. 9:7).

To perceive how the people would react could have been difficult. They could have reacted carnally and questioned if the money was to be used properly since there had most likely been times it had not been, or they could have acted in obedience and humbly given.

The reaction was far beyond what any could expect. The Word of God says there was rejoicing throughout the kingdom. As we see in the above verse, the people gave far more than any thought they would give. There was an overflow of funds to repair the Lord's house and to continue to maintain it, and the funds continued to come in to the chest. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in Mine house, and prove Me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it (Mal. 3:10).

This might seem to be a devotion on tithing. Tithing is a part of it, but the larger thought is the upkeep of God's house or Kingdom on earth. The Church is the body of which Christ is the head. We grow it with not only our own funds, but with our time and our talents as well. Those who love the Lord are willing to give of themselves to advance the Kingdom of God.

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ (I Cor. 12:12).

Thought for Today:

It is a difficult thing to wait on the Lord for our "mate", but how tragic to marry an unbeliever who has no hope of Heaven.
Christ Revealed:

By Jehoiada, the high priest, who faithfully hid and protected Joash (II Chr. 23:1-11). Jesus is our High Priest (Heb. 5:5-10), and we are hid with Christ in God (Col. 3:3).
Word Studies:

21:9 compassed him in, surrounded him; 21:19 of sore diseases, in severe suffering; no burning for him, no funeral fire to honor him; 22:10 seed royal, royal offspring of the house of David; 23:9 bucklers, small shields; 23:14 Have her forth of the ranges, take her outside beyond the Temple under guard; 24:13 in his state, in its original condition; 24:25 great diseases, intense suffering.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Ethel Adeloye • Government Officials: Rep. Peter DeFazio (OR) • Country: Finland (5.2 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Finnish and Swedish • Religious freedom • 86% Lutheran; 1% Orthodox; 12% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the blessings of God upon your family and home (II Sam. 7:29).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 25 – 27

Highlights:

Amaziah reigns in Judah; war against Edom; Israel defeats Judah; Uzziah reigns in Jerusalem; Uzziah stricken with leprosy
But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin (II Chr. 25:4).

The statement has been made before that one person might be punished for another person's sins. This is obviously not scriptural. This verse is clear that one person shall be held accountable for his sins and only his sins.

The "blame game", as some call it, may work in today's society, but not with God. What is the "blame game"? It is the passing off of responsibility. It is the not wanting to be accountable for your own actions. It is almost like the old saying, "the devil made me do it."

This is not to say there are not outside influences at work in the world. The enemy will do his best to draw us into sin. He will put all manner of temptation in front of us to try and get us off track. The devil has many resources at his disposal and he will use them all to trip up mankind Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices (II Cor. 2:11).

Notice the words "influence" and "draw". There is a big difference between those words and the words "force" and "made". The latter words would mean that there was no choice or option in the matter. The truth is we always have the ability to choose. Right or wrong, we decide which path we will go down, the path of the Lord or the world's path. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (Matt. 7:13-14).

It is clear we have the ability to either resist or follow the devil. We can walk the way of the Lord or we can allow him to lead us into sin. The Lord knew how strong these influences would be when He gave us the model prayer: Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil (Matt:6:13) (also see Ps. 141:4).However, if we do fall into Satan's trap, let us take personal responsibility for what we have done. When we sin, God has no desire for our excuses. He seeks confession and repentance. We simply need to admit to God we messed up. Then, we can turn back to the Lord and head down the straight path once again.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord (Acts 3:19).

Thought for Today:

We foolishly trust our own wealth or strength when God has promised to open the windows of Heaven if we will just do as He says.
Christ Revealed:

By Azariah the high priest who stood between King Uzziah and the Altar, because there was only one proper way to approach the Lord God of Israel and that was through the service of the priests (II Chr. 26:17-18). Jesus, our great High Priest (Heb. 4:14), is The Only Way for anyone to come to God. Jesus saith unto him, I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).
Word Studies:

25:21 saw one another in the face, faced each other in battle; 26:10 husbandry, farming.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Mrs Wallace B Rummel • Government Officials: Sen. Marco Rubio (FL), Rep. Aaron Schock (IL), Rep. Steve King (IA), Rep. Scott Rigell (VA), and Rep. Tom E. Petri (WI) • Country: France (59.1 million) in western Europe • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 7% Islam; 1.22% Protestant; 1.18% Jewish; 1% Buddhist; .2% Orthodox; .2% Eastern Catholic; .2% Jehovah's Witness; 9% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you discernment and an understanding heart (I Kings 3:9).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 28 – 30
Highlights:

Ahaz reigns in Judah; Syria (Aram) and Israel defeat Judah; death of Ahaz; Hezekiah's reign; worship restored in the Temple
And the priests went into the inner part of the house of the LORD, to cleanse it, and brought out all the uncleanness that they found in the Temple of the LORD into the court of the house of the LORD. And the Levites took it, to carry it out abroad into the brook Kidron (II Chr. 29:16).

Hezekiah was one of the kings of Judah who followed the Lord most closely. The desire of his heart was to turn the nation of Judah back to the Lord. The people of Judah experienced a season of being obedient to God under the leadership of Hezekiah.

One of his first acts was to open the house of the Lord. It was in much need of repair. God's Word relates that Judah had good kings and evil kings. During the reign of evil kings, the house of the Lord was not taken care of and would often fall into poor condition. At times, it would even be used for pagan worship. It is clear godly spiritual guidance was needed. But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth (I Tim. 3:15).

Therefore, Hezekiah called together the priests and the Levites. He challenged them to sanctify themselves for the service of the Lord. He then commanded them to clean up the house of the Lord. He wanted any evil thing removed from it. From this verse, it is clear they followed his directions.

It would be said how shameful it was to use the house of the Lord for such evil purposes. Many point fingers at those that promoted this vile practice. It should be noted that this happens today quite a bit in our own society.

It would be easy here to turn the discussion to our own selves. The Spirit of the Lord dwells in the hearts of believers. Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? (I Cor. 3:16). Thus, if our bodies are the Temple of God we need to be aware of preventing evil from entering our lives.

This also applies to our places of worship and the body of Christ, which is the church. They should be guarded against the infiltration of the ungodly. There are those who would seek to tear apart the work of God by any means at their disposal. Pastors need to protect their churches by not surrendering their pulpit to just anyone. Be on guard who you place into any office from Sunday School teacher to treasurer to deacon. We are to, try the spirits of the world (I John 4:1).Try those individuals by the Word of God and protect your house and people from falling into the state of Hezekiah's day.

For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock (Acts 20:29).

Thought for Today:

Turning away from sin in our lives always brings us back to a right relationship with our Creator and therefore into His blessings.
Christ Revealed:

By King Hezekiah who offered an intercessory prayer for every one That prepareth his heart to seek God (II Chr. 30:18-19). Jesus Christ our King, now seated at the right hand of God, intercedes in prayer for all who continue to seek Him (Rom. 8:34). Seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God (Col. 3:1).
Word Studies:

28:3 Hinnom, (Gehenna, translated as "hell" in the New Testament); 28:10 keep under, make slaves; 28:15 shod them, gave them sandals; 28:25 several, single; 30:6 posts, runners, couriers; 30:22 comfortably, encouragingly; 30:23 took counsel, agreed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials Sen. Jerry Moran (KS) and Rep. Jeb Hensarling (TX) • Country: French Guiana (168,000) on the northern coast of South America • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 85% Christian; 9.5% non-Religious/Other; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to bring our nation to repentance (I Kings 8:33-36).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk