Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 25 – 27
Highlights:

We learn we can receive direction from God as David did, as well as protection from satanic deception (I Sam. 25:32-33,39; 26:22-24); Nabal dies; David marries his widow.
And David said to Abigail, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which sent thee this day to meet me: And blessed be thy advice, and blessed be thou, which hast kept me this day from coming to shed blood, and from avenging myself with mine own hand (I Samuel 25:32-33).

David had been encamped near the lands of Abigal's husband, Nabal. He and his men had been around Nabal's men as they were in the fields tending sheep. David and his men had apparently provided protection for them as the work was being done. They had not taken any of Nabal's property. From David's words, they had also ensured that no one else stole any of Nabal's flock or harmed his men.

David felt that Nabal might be hospitable for the service they had done unto him. They hoped he might give them some food and drink. Nabal, however, not only was not charitable, but he was very rude and even mocked David. His reply was why should he give anything to David when he knew not him or his family (25:10-11).

David became very angry. He set out to go to Nabal and he had all his men arm themselves. He intended to kill Nabal for the disrespect shown to him. One of Nabal's servants warned Abigal of his danger. In an effort to defuse the situation, she had many provisions prepared to carry to David and his men. She met David and begged his forgiveness.

Many times women may not be seen as playing prominent roles. This wise woman, Abigal, saved the lives of many including her husband. She surely was doing this in obedience to God, as David recognized in the above. Many women in the Bible have been used in great ways like this and continue to be used today. And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy (Acts 2:17-18).

Another interesting thought about the above verse is that David recognized God had sent Abigal so his hand of vengeance would be held back. He did something that many people find hard to do at times. He allowed his attitude to be changed by what God wanted. There is a lesson to be learned here that Jesus taught by His own example. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matt. 26:39).

It is a great necessity in life to let the will of your life be surrendered to God's will. Many might say, how do I know God's will for my life? Just as God made it obvious to David, He will do the same for all of us. We just need to listen for what God has to say to us. It could come through the Bible, the working of the Holy Spirit, or the mouth of one of God's people. The important thing is to follow God's will even when it is not going the way we desire.

For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother (Mark 3:35).

Thought for Today:

It is never right to try to justify self by taking matters into our own hands.
Christ Revealed:

By Abigail's efforts to make peace between David and Nabal (I Sam. 25:21-28). God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself (II Cor. 5:19).
Word Studies:

25:3 churlish, harsh, cruel, rude; 25:14 railed on, insulted; 25:15 were conversant with, associated with; 25:21 requited, returned, repaid; 25:27 blessing, gift; 25:28 a sure house, a lasting dynasty; 25:29 bound in the bundle of life, safe in the care of the Lord; 26:5 in the trench, inside the barricade; 26:7 bolster, headrest, pillow; 26:15 kept, guarded; 26:24 set by, valued; 27:1 coast, territory; 27:10 road, raid; 27:11 manner, behavior.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • International Broadcasts in memory of Sam Hall • Country: Austria (8.1 million) in central Europe • Major language: German • Religious freedom • 78% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3% Other Christian; 2% Muslim; .1% Jewish; 1.9% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Offering praise and thanks to God is a sacrifice pleasing to Him (Heb. 13:15).
Optional Reading: Acts 10

Memory Verse for the Week: John 11:25

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Samuel 28 – 31
Highlights:

Philistines declare war, Is David caught on the wrong side (I Sam. 28:1-2)? Saul consults a witch (28:7-20); Saul's death foretold (28:19); Israel is defeated; Saul and his sons die tragically (31:2-6).
Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor (Samuel 28:7).

It is truly sad to see how far this man, who was chosen of God to be Israel's first earthly king, had fallen. Samuel had gone to be with God. Saul could not turn to him. He tried to seek counsel with God. However, God would not answer him.

What was Saul's solution to his problem? Would he seek out another prophet of God? Would he repent of his disobedience and continue seeking the face of God? No, none of these were to be his answer. Saul decided to turn to a witch empowered by demons to try to speak to Samuel's ghost.

It had been Saul under the guidance of God who had banned such evil practices (28:9). This did not matter to Saul anymore. His disobedience to God had polluted his reasoning. He wanted guidance and it looks like He had little concern on how he obtained it. He had cut himself off from following God. But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear (Isa. 59:2).

Saul was quickly exposed. His sins were revealed to him. There is no escape for any wrong actions in life except through godly repentance. Saul's problem had often been that he sought his direction from himself instead of God. He had a history of following God to a point, but not if it was against what he wanted to do.

If any have a desire to really serve God, they must serve Him completely. There is really no halfway in serving God. You may have heard the phrase that someone might be "riding the fence". There is no fence. It is either God's side or the side of the enemy (Matt. 6:24; Luke 16:13). Those who serve God serve Him fully. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him (John 4:23).

Many are finding it hard to follow the path of God because they are continually making stops or getting off the road completely. Think about it this way. If you set out on a cross country trip, you would probably have some pretty good directions as to where you were going. What would happen if you just abandoned those directions and just asked any person you came across how to get there? You might catch a break and get good directions, or you might not. That would be a very risky move, especially when you had the map in your hand. Think of the guidance we have. There is the Word of God, the Holy Spirit and the counsel of true believers. Forget substitute directions. We have God directions!

And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ (II Thes. 3:5).

Thought for Today:

The consequences of disobeying God are always bitter in the end.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Urim (I Sam. 28:6), which was used to determine the will of God. Today Christ speaks to us through His Spirit and when we read His Word. God . . . Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2). When He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all Truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come (John 16:13).
Word Studies:

28:2 keeper of mine head, permanent captain of my bodyguard; 28:7 familiar spirit, demonic spirit that works through a medium, spiritualist, witch, or fortune-teller (Lev. 19:31; 20:6,27; Deut. 18:9-12); 28:14 mantle, robe; 28:15 sore, deeply; 28:21 sore, severely; 29:3 fell unto me, joined me; 30:12 his spirit came again to him, he revived; 30:21 saluted, greeted; 30:31 wont to haunt, accustomed to stay; 31:2 followed hard upon, overtook; 31:3 sore, badly.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • International Broadcasts sponsored by Donna Bell • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Country: Azerbaijan (7.7 million) southern Transcaucasia between Europe and Asia • Major languages: Azeri and Russian • Religious freedom • 65% Shi'a Muslim; 30% Sunni Muslim; 2% Russian Orthodox; 2% Armenian Apostolic; 1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to work in your life in whatever way pleases Him (Heb. 13:21).
Optional Reading: Acts 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 1 – 2
Highlights:

Saul is killed in battle; David mourns the deaths of Saul and Jonathan; David is crowned king of the tribe of Judah; Ish-bosheth, son of Saul, is made king of 11 tribes of Israel.
I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women (II Sam. 1:26).

The news of Saul and Jonathan's deaths was troubling to David. Many would think at least Saul's death would have been good news to David. However, this was not the case. David knew that God had anointed Saul in his office as king (1:14). He had also at one time been very close to Saul. The scripture paints a clear picture that David had no hatred towards Saul even though Saul tried again and again to kill him.

David mourned for Saul, but it was the death of his best friend, Saul's son, Jonathan that obviously grieved David greatly. They were truly more than friends. They loved each other as brothers. Even beyond that, they had a deep godly love for each other. They had truly been obedient to a commandment Jesus would later give. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another (John 13:34).

It would seem that the relationship that these two men had is seldom found in today's world. Yet it only seems that way. Wherever the love of God is allowed to bloom in a life, that person will have great love toward those around them.

This love will be greatly above and beyond any love of this world. It will be a love that is developed by the Holy Spirit that lives within the believer. It will go further than other human love. It will help more than any other human love. It will also hurt more than any human love. It will sacrifice far beyond any human love. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13).

Jesus set the greatest example of this kind of love. He did exactly what that last verse said. He laid down his life for His friends.

Who are the friends of Jesus? He gave His life for all mankind. This is that true godly brotherly love. His great sacrificial love has even provided the way for us to become children of God. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together (Rom. 8:17).

Love can truly accomplish great things. It will heal family relationships. It will cause people to give their lives to a worthy cause. God places this love in our hearts to give us the desire to live a life dedicated to Him. Let God's love shine through your life. Love God with all you have and love people like Jesus did.

And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices (Mark 12:33).

Thought for Today:

Even though Saul was unfaithful to God, David mentioned only his good at his death.
Christ Revealed:

In David's sorrowful poem (II Sam. 1:17-27). He did not dwell upon all his years of suffering at the hand of Saul but dwelt only upon the pleasant things. David typifies Christ, who forgave His enemies, crying from the cross: Father, forgive them (Heb. 1:1-2). (Luke 23:34).
Word Studies:

1:2 did obeisance, bowed in honor; 1:9 anguish, extreme pain; 1:18 use of the bow, song of the bow; 2:6 requite, repay; 2:14 play before us, hold a contest as to which side has the best soldiers; 2:17 sore, fierce; 2:26 following, pursuing; 2:32 sepulchre, tomb.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Michael Moore • International Broadcasts: in memory of Henry Rogers • Government Official: Rep. Kevin Brady (TX) • Country: Bahamas (284,000) in the northern portion of the West Indies • Major languages: English and some Creole • Religious freedom • 72% Protestant; 26% Roman Catholic; 1% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord for wisdom as you read His Word, and it will be given to you (James 1:5).
Optional Reading: Acts 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 3 – 5
Highlights:

The house of Saul wars against the house of David (II Sam. 3:1); Abner deserts Ish-bosheth; Joab murders Abner; Ish-bosheth murdered; David declared king of all Israel; Jerusalem captured.
And David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up to the Philistines? wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the Lord said unto David Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into thine hand (II Sam. 5:19).

David was a man of prayer. He was not a perfect man. He was a man that for the most part consulted God and listened for His answer. God had blessed him abundantly for being a man that sought after Him.

Starting at a very young age, God delivered David out of the hands of many enemies. He had blessed David in many battles. David had slain the Philistines' greatest warrior, Goliath, many years before this. God had made him a victor in many battles and wars since then.

It was actually these victories given by God that had endeared David to the people of Israel. However, it was not the people who chose David to be their king. God had decided that many years ago. We read earlier this month of Samuel anointing David as a young man.

It would only seem right to conclude that David's prayer and obedience brought the blessings that God placed on his life. That is not to say those that pray and obey will not have difficult time in life. For certain, David saw his share of difficult times throughout his life. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust (Matt. 5:45).

The greatest blessings of God are spiritual in nature. The person that stays in constant communication with the throne of God will hear from Him. The guidance of God on our lives is one of the greatest gifts we could possibly receive. To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace (Luke 1:79). As this verse says, God hears the prayers of repentance from the unbeliever and guides them into His marvellous grace. We who are saved by the glorious redemptive power of Christ are for sure the most blessed people in the world.

David looked to God for answers and they came. In today's time, prayer is just as important as it was in David's time. A life of prayer will draw us closer to God. If we pray more, we will hear from God more. If we hear from God more, we will better recognize His voice when He speaks. Let us be a people of prayer.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly (Matt. 6:6).

Thought for Today:

God always fulfills His Word. He rewards those who are faithful to Him.
Christ Portrayed:

By David, the anointed king over Israel (II Sam. 5:3). Christ is the Lord's anointed. "Christ" is Greek for the Hebrew word Messiah (Anointed One) (Ps. 2:2; John 1:41). Jesus is the rightful King of the earth. Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. . . . and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin (John 19:19-20).
Word Studies:

3:1 waxed, grew; 3:10 translate, transfer; 3:12 league, covenant; 3:27 smote, stabbed; 3:31 bier, a stand for carrying a corpse; 4:2 reckoned to, considered part of; 5:8 getteth up to the gutter, enters the city through the water tunnel; 5:23 fetch a compass, circle around.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff:Karen Hawkins • International Broadcasts sponsored by Elaine Servetto • Government Official: Rep. Tim Walberg (MI), and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI) • Country: Bahrain (629,000) 11 islands in the Persian Gulf near Saudi Arabia • Major languages: Arabic and English • No evangelical work is permitted • 85% Muslim; 5% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; 1% Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Pray with unwavering faith so that your prayers may be answered (James 1:5-7).
Optional Reading: Acts 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 6 – 9

Highlights:

David's intentions to bring the Ark to its proper place result in a man's death; God forbids David to build the Temple; God builds David an eternal "house" – meaning royal lineage (II Sam. 7:1-11).
And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely shew thee kindness for Jonathan thy father's sake, and will restore thee all the land of Saul thy father; and thou shalt eat bread at my table continually (II Samuel 9:7).

David and Jonathan had been best friends. And even more, they were as brothers. David had made a pledge to Jonathan and Jonathan to David. They were friends for life. However, it was not for as long as they had expected since Jonathan's life ended early in the same battle as his father, Saul.

David wished to honor the relationship he had with Jonathan now that he had become king. So, David inquired if there were any of Saul's house left living. He found out that Jonathan had a son that had survived even though he was crippled in his feet. His name was Mephibosheth.

It would have been very easy for David to put his relationship with Saul and his family behind him. Most people would have wanted to with the hardships that had been faced. David did not have a desire to forget. He had a love and respect for Jonathan, and Saul too, for that matter.

Therefore, David chose to do what was right. He honored the feelings he had for Jonathan and Saul. He did this by restoring all of Saul's lands to his grandson, Mephibosheth. With Saul having been king, this was probably a large piece of property. The cost did not matter to David when doing what was right in God's eyes. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour (Rom. 13:7).

David's actions described in these scriptures are not always the easiest road to take. To be honest, it is probably pretty hard for most people to do this. Most do not even try because of fear, pride and a host of other emotions. It is just far too emotionally difficult.

Healing can be very hard to gain. This becomes even more true when it involves relationships. For a relationship to completely heal, it is often necessary for forgiveness to be asked for and given.

Forgiveness is something we have received abundantly from God. We should, likewise, give it out abundantly. It will lift many burdens off our hearts. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven (Luke 6:37).

It is easy for us to say that we did not cause the rift with an individual. It was all the other person that caused the rift in our relationship. Even if this is true, it should not matter. As a believer, we should be prepared to go the extra mile. It is true that not all relationships with issues can be saved. However, if it is our heart's desire that the relationship be restored, we owe it to ourselves and the other person to try. David was king, but, in a way, he humbled himself in calling out to Mephibosheth and giving him Saul's lands back. There is nothing wrong in being meek and humble when the occasion calls for it.

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted (Matt. 23:12).

Thought for Today:

God is honored and blessed as we seek ways to Honor Him and His Word.
Christ Revealed:

By the Ark of the Covenant which they . . . set . . . in the midst of the Tabernacle (II Sam. 6:17). The Ark contained the Ten Commandments, given to Moses (Deut. 10:1-5). Christ is the Living Word (John 1:1) and dwells within those of us who are the Temple of God (I Cor. 3:16) Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col. 1:27).
Word Studies:

6:7 error, fault committed through negligence; 6:14 linen ephod, priestly, linen garment; 6:19 dealt, distributed; 6:21 play, celebrate, show my joy; 7:8 sheepcote, pastureland; 7:9 cut off,  destroyed, eliminated; 7:12 seed, offspring, descendants; 7:23 terrible, full of wonder; awesome; 8:3 recover his border at the river Euphrates, establish his territory to the Euphrates River; 8:4 houghed, hamstrung; 8:5 succour, help; 9:8 look upon such a dead dog, show favor to such an insignificant person.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Joshua Belisle's baptism • Government Officials: Rep. Jim Costa (CA), Rep. Susan A. Davis (CA), Rep. Ted Yoho (FL), and Sen. Robert P. Casey, Jr. (PA) • Country: Bangladesh (125.7 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Bangla and English • Present religious freedom may become limited • 86.6% Muslim; 12.1% Hindu; .6% Buddhist; .3% Christian; .4% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith, without doubting (James 1:6).
Optional Reading: Acts 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 10 – 12
Highlights:

Whenever we experience victories in life, we must never forget that Satan will tempt us to sin as he tempted David. Nathan's parable and David's repentance; birth of Solomon.
And Uriah said unto David, The ark, and Israel, and Judah, abide in tents; and my lord Joab, and the servants of my lord, are encamped in the open fields; shall I then go into mine house, to eat and to drink, and to lie with my wife? as thou livest, and as thy soul liveth, I will not do this thing (II Sam. 11:11).

There is no doubt David had committed a great sin in taking Bathsheba. She was Uriah's wife. David's act of adultery caused a whole series of sins to come out of his life. These would include deception and even murder.

Whenever these scriptures are read, the focus is always on this sin of David's. This is rightfully so. It teaches us how we very rarely just sin once. Most of the time, trying to hide one sin will lead to more sin. There are also normally consequences. Even sins that are repented of have them. We may get forgiveness and escape hell, but there may be costs of an earthly nature that have to be paid.

However, something is often overlooked in this account of the Word of God; namely, the character of this man Uriah. Other than the fact that he was Bathsheba's husband and a soldier there is not much else we know about his life. From this verse, see a man with great character.

Uriah would not enjoy a night of pleasure in his home when there was fighting happening. His statement about the Ark and his brethren being on the battlefield shows the devotion and commitment that existed in this man's life. He brings to mind words that Christ would speak many years in the future. And he said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me (Luke 9:23).

Uriah was truly denying himself. He denied himself a good night's rest. He denied himself time with his wife. He also was devoted to what God's people were doing. He wanted to return to the battle against the enemies of Israel. His cross was being a soldier of God and he bore it well.

David could have learned much from the words this man spoke to him. But he was just too involved in his sin. Sin dulls the hearing of a godly message. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them (Matt. 13:15).

The lesson is there for God's people today also. We may have things we want to do in life. There may be times we want some time for ourselves. We have something that brings us enjoyment to do. There is nothing wrong with that as long as sin is not involved. Just remember, any action can be sin if God is asking us to do something else at that time. Let us have the desire to get on God's battlefield.

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb. 9:14).

Thought for Today:

It is hard to undo the damage when a godly person greatly sins, but God's mercy still prevails.
Christ Revealed:

: In the prophet Nathan giving Solomon the name Jedidiah, which means beloved of the Lord (II Sam. 12:24-25). Christ was greatly loved by His Heavenly Father. Jesus prayed: Father . . . Thou lovedst Me before the foundation of the world (John 17:24).
Word Studies:

10:12 play the men, show our courage and strength; 11:1 after the year was expired, in the spring of the following year; 11:8 mess of meat, gift of food; 12:4 spared, refused; 12:11 in the sight of this sun, publicly for all Israel to know; 12:31 put them under saws, enslaved, made to work with saws.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. David Valadao (CA) • Country: Barbados (259,000) on the island farthest east in the West Indies • Major languages: English • Religious freedom • 79% Protestant; 8% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for grace to overcome temptation, and God will reward you (James 1:12).
Optional Reading: Acts 15

Memory Verse for the Week: John 11:26

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 13 – 14
Highlights:

Consequences of sin begin (II Sam. 12:9-12); Amnon rapes his half-sister which leads to murder; David and Absalom reconcile (14:28-33); Absalom's treachery.
Now Absalom had commanded his servants, saying, Mark ye now when Amnon's heart is merry with wine, and when I say unto you, Smite Amnon; then kill him, fear not: have not I commanded you? be courageous, and be valiant (II Sam. 13:28).

Absalom was planning the murder of his own brother. Of course, most would say that Amnon deserved it for raping their sister, Tamar. Absalom had waited until the opportune time to exact his revenge on Amnon.

In this whole series of events, so many wrongs happened within Israel's royal family. Amnon had lustful feelings for his half-sister and then he took her. Amnon was not punished for his crime. Absalom took justice into his own hands in having his brother killed.

Of course, this was not to be the end of these terrible events. The murder of Amnon placed a terrible strain on Absalom's relationship with David his father. It even led to Absalom attempting to steal his father's throne. This eventually caused a war between father and son which ended in death.

The choices made by almost everyone involved in this horrible situation were not led by God, to say the least. These decisions set in motion a chain of events that were nearly impossible to stop. Sin will often do that. It has a way of getting out of control. Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful (Rom. 7:13).

This is why sin is so dangerous. It only took the sin of one to lead to the downfall of mankind. Through Adam's sin, we all have inherited separation from God. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Rom. 5:12).

Thanks be to God that Jesus died and gave us the ability to gain victory over sin. By surrendering our lives to Christ, we gain that victory. Through Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection from the dead, He has the power to deliver us out of the bondage of sin.For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous (Rom. 5:19).

The best course of action to take in life is to avoid falling into sin's traps. There are many laid out there. We see evidence of some in the lives of these two brothers, Absalom and Amnon. Though they might seem very different, they are virtually the same. Yes, they might have had different reasons for their sins, but this matters little in life's eternal destination.

Don't think for a second there is a good excuse to sin. There is not. God will not even listen to the pleading of our case. God sent his only Son, Jesus Christ, to lead us away from sin. Let's follow Jesus and commit ourselves to the path of right living.

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him (I John 4:9).

Thought for Today:

Sin always brings bitter rewards, but God's purpose never fails.
Christ Revealed:

: Through David's restoration of Absalom (II Sam. 14:33). If an earthly father's compassion reconciles him to his estranged son, how much more will our loving Heavenly Father reconcile us to Himself when we confess our sins. God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing (counting, crediting) their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the Word of reconciliation (II Cor. 5:19).
Word Studies:

13:4 lean, depressed, looking so wretched; 13:5 make thyself sick, pretend to be sick; 14:2 feign, pretend; 14:4 did obeisance, showed reverence, honor; 14:7 quench my coal which is left, destroy the last of my family; 14:11 suffer, allow; 14:21 done this thing, granted your request; 14:26 polled his head, cut his hair.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Staff: Beth Carlton • International Broadcasts: sponsored by Carl E. Miller • Country: Belarus (10 million) in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Belarussian and Russian • Religious freedom • 48% Orthodox; 22% Roman Catholic; 1.1% Jewish; 1% Protestant; .2% Muslim; 27.7% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to enable you to endure temptation (James 1:12).
Optional Reading: Acts 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 15 – 16
Highlights:

Absalom (II Sam. 14:25) wins over national leaders, including David's most trusted counselor Ahithophel; Absalom's revolt; Attempts to overthrow and murder David.
For thy servant vowed a vow while I abode at Geshur in Syria, saying, If the Lord shall bring me again indeed to Jerusalem, then I will serve the Lord (II Sam. 15:8).

Absalom may have seemed to have good intentions, but that was not the case in this situation. Absalom had killed his brother. It could be argued that Amnon deserved to be killed for the rape of their sister, Tamar. The murder, however, had set Absalom at odds with his Father, David, who was the king.

Absalom actually, had intentions to overthrow David, his father. He desired to be king. So, he had a plan to rebel and steal his father's throne.

Absalom even went as far as to call this a vow he had made to God. Perhaps unknowingly he was walking on dangerous ground. Evidently, he had no idea how serious God takes a vow made to Him. If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth (Num. 30:2).

The very wording of what Absalom said to David raises a red flag. He said he told God; if You do this then I'll do this. God is not in the deal making business. He does not give us what we want for the promise of future service.

It is certain that many have prayed a very similar prayer to what Absalom prayed. Especially when lost, it is a common thing to pray "Lord, if you will just get me out of this one I'll go to church". It may seem at times God has even answered that prayer. However, it is just the providential grace and mercy of God at work.

God so often has worked in our lives when we never even knew it. There is no way to guess as to how many times God has saved us as some great danger was right upon us. God truly loves and takes care of His children. The scripture is clear that Christ knew us even in our sin and still chose to lay down His life for all mankind. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

The beauty of the love of God is that even though He has heard many empty promises it has not changed how much He loves us. God wants all unbelievers to turn from their own ways and follow after Him. Many may have prayed many prayers that are not sincere to God. God desires to hear that first heartfelt prayer of repentance from every human being. That prayer will start a life-changing event.

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

Thought for Today:

The wicked make their plans, but never overcome the purposes of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By David as he rebuked his followers when they wanted to execute his enemies (II Sam. 16:10-11; compare I Sam. 26:8-9). When Jesus' disciples wanted to do the same, He rebuked them, saying: Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of Man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them (Luke 9:54-56).
Word Studies:

15:27 seer, prophet of God who has discernment (I Sam. 9:9); 15:28 certify, inform; 16:5 cursed still, shouted curses continuously.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. John Delaney (MD) • Country: Belgium (10.2 million) in northwestern Europe • Major languages: Flemish and French • Religious Freedom •74% Catholic; 3% Muslim; 1% Protestant; .5% Orthodox; 20% Secular Humanism; 1.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that you will obey the Word of God and not be just a deceived hearer (James 1:22).
Optional Reading: Acts 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 17 – 18

Highlights:

Important life-lesson: Always compare your desires with the Word of God; Absalom didn't, and his rebellion against God destroyed him (II Sam. 18:9).
And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son! (II Sam. 18:33).

Absalom had done great wrongs to his father, David. He even went as far as to try to steal his throne. He raised up an army large enough that David had to flee. This dishonor which he did to his father was the sin that cost him his life. Absalom died in the battle against his father's men.

None of this made David love his son any less. David was so deeply grieved over Absalom's death that he even wished he had died instead. His sorrow was so heavy that Joab eventually challenged David. He accused of David of preferring that his own men had died instead of Absalom (19:6), even though they were defending David and his throne.

David had to pull himself together. If he did not, the people might have turned against him. It was evidently not an easy thing to celebrate this victory when the price was the life of his son.

Dealing with the loss of a loved one is never an easy thing. As a matter of fact, it is one of the most difficult situations we can go through in life. It is all the harder to deal with if there was some argument or disconnection with that person. This is probably one of the reasons that the Word of God teaches us to daily try to resolve issues with others. IBe ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath (Eph. 4:26).

It is also more difficult to handle a loved one dying if there is concern over where they will be spending eternity. The most comforting thought at a time of loss is to know that they have gone to a far better place. If they were a believer, they are now with Christ and will be so for all eternity. We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord (II Cor. 5:8). That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life (John 3:15)

However, always hold on to hope. It is easy to look at a person's life and say they are in heaven or they are in hell, but no person can truly know another person's heart. It can be a mystery as to what might happen in the last moments of a person's life. In their last second the Holy Spirit may have dealt with their heart and they repented. It is not the best way to turn your life to Christ, but it happens.

A good lesson in this is to do our best early on to direct people to Christ. In helping lead someone to eternal life through Christ Jesus there is no need to speculate on their eternal destination. Preaching the Lord Jesus .... a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord (Acts 11:20-21). Your witness can help bring a soul into God's kingdom.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe (John 1:7).

Thought for Today:

The great Shepherd of the sheep always takes care of His own.
Christ Revealed:

Through Mahanaim, a city of refuge where David went when he was fleeing from Absalom (Josh. 21:38; II Sam. 17:27). Christ is our Refuge. We . . . have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the Hope set before us . . . even Jesus (Heb. 6:18,20).
Word Studies:

17:8 chafed, angered; 17:17 wench, maidservant; 17:25 host, army; 18:3 succour us out of the city, remain in the city and assist by providing reinforcements; 18:9 taken up, left hanging, suspended.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Rep. George Holding (NC) • Country: : Belize (236,000) on the eastern coast of Central America • Major languages: English and Spanish • Religious Freedom •• 64% Roman Catholic; 26% Protestant; 2% spiritist/animist; 1% Hindu; 1% Muslim; 1% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Draw near to God in prayer with a clean and pure heart (James 4:8).
Optional Reading: Acts 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 19 – 20

Highlights:

Joab (I Chr. 2:13-16) kills Abner (II Sam. 3:27), his cousin Absalom (18:14), and his cousin Amasa (20:10; I Chr. 2:16-17); He reproves David twice (II Sam. 19:5-7; 24:1-3); Last revolt from 10 tribes; Kingdom is restored.
And Mephibosheth the son of Saul came down to meet the king, and had neither dressed his feet, nor trimmed his beard, nor washed his clothes, from the day the king departed until the day he came again in peace (II Sam. 19:24).

Mephibosheth could have just as easily been celebrating at the calamity that David had been experiencing. David had become the king and sat on the throne that once belonged to his family. Many in his situation would be happy to see David suffer.

Mephibosheth, however, knew that David had shown him kindness. David had honored the bond that he had with Mephibosheth's father, Jonathan. David had provided for him lands and servants (9:10). Therefore, Mephibosheth knew that David was an honorable man.

Because of these things, Mephibosheth had been greatly distressed over what had been going on with David. The fact that David had to flee from his own son, Absalom, concerned him. David had been run off from his proper place as king and this caused Mephibosheth to cause himself to suffer along with David. He had not taken care of his feet, shaved, or washed his clothes since David had been gone.

How many in today's society are that concerned about when things are not working in the will of God? There are probably not as many as there should be. It should concern every believer when something is going against God's law. We should desire His will to be manifest throughout all the world. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven (Matt. 6:10).

There are many terrible injustices in the world today. Many of them surely grieve the heart. All over the world people live in poverty on the brink of starvation. They don't have clean water to drink nor can they get medical attention that is greatly needed.

Our brothers and sisters in Christ are persecuted and even murdered for their stand for the cross. We should be praying for them every day. We are joined with them by the blood of Christ. Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body (Heb. 13:3).

We should strive to remember this is a big world. It is easy sometimes to become preoccupied with our small section of it. Right now as we speak, there is great suffering all over. Someone is going hungry when there is an abundance of food. Someone is lonely when there are so many that could use a friend. Someone is standing alone for Christ when there are a multitude of believers. The trouble is that those that could help often don't have the burden to help. Jesus gave a message that should still ring in our ears today.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me (Matthew 25:40).

Thought for Today:

When times of distress come, God is our refuge and strength.
Christ Revealed:

By David, who wished to be invited back as king (II Sam. 19:11). Our Lord Jesus wants to be invited into the hearts of all mankind. He comes in only by our invitation. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him (enjoy sweet fellowship together) and he with Me (Rev. 3:20).
Word Studies:

19:14 bowed, swayed; 20:3 ward, guarded house; 20:18 were wont to speak, used to say.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts: sponsored by Marie Bradbury • Government Officials: Rep. Justin Amash (MI), Rep. Bob Latta (OH), and Rep. Gwen Moore (WI) • Country: Benin (6 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and tribal languages • Some hostility toward Christians •• 59% animism and voodoo; 17% Muslim; 16% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up (James 4:10).
Optional Reading: Acts 19

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk