Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 26 – 27

MEMORY VERSE FOR THE WEEK:

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Highlights:

Second numbering (census) of the Israelites; law of inheritance; Joshua to succeed Moses

Almost 40 years had passed since the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. All the 603,550 adult men included in that first census, except Joshua, Caleb, and Moses had died. The second generation who were near the promised land were children when they left Egypt and were now 40 years older. The Lord spake unto Moses and unto Ele-azar the son of Aaron the priest, saying, Take the sum (a census) of all the congregation of the children of Israel, from twenty years old and upward (Numbers 26:1-2). This took place in the plains of Moab by Jordan near Jericho (26:3).

Another major event was to take place before the Israelites could enter the promised land. The Lord said unto Moses, Get thee up into this Mount Abarim, and see the land which I have given unto the children of Israel. And when thou hast seen it, thou also shalt be gathered unto thy people (will die), as Aaron thy brother was gathered (died). For ye rebelled against My Com-mandment in the Desert of Zin, in the strife of the congregation, to sanctify Me (be obedient to My Command) at the water before their eyes: that is the water of Meribah. . . . And the Lord said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay thine hand upon (transfer authority to) him (27:12-18).

Despite being rebuked and his great disappointment in not being allowed to enter the promised land, Moses did as the Lord commanded him: and he took Joshua, and set him before Ele-azar the priest, and before all the congregation: And he laid his hands upon him, and gave him a charge (commission) (27:22-23). Thus, without any sign of hesitation, he stepped down from leadership. Moses blessed Joshua and laid his hands upon him, symbolically transferring his leadership, which God had previously conferred upon him.

God has said that Moses was the meekest man on earth (12:3). One test of meekness (humility) is our willingness to yield our prominent position to another. Meekness is a Christlike character: I am meek (Matthew 11:29). Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another (Colossians 3:12-13). In lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves (Philippians 2:3).

Thought For The Day:

God's appointed leaders need the prayers and support of His people.

Word Studies:

26:2 sum, census; 26:61 strange, unauthorized; profane; unlawful; 27:4 done away from among his family, withdrawn; lost to his family; 27:19 give him a charge, commission him as your successor.

Christ Portrayed:

By the man (Joshua) who would lead the people like a shepherd (Numbers 27:17). Jesus said: I am the Good Shepherd. . . . My sheep . . . follow Me (John 10:11,27).

Pray for Our Nation • Country: Greenland (60,000) northeast of Canada • Major languages: Eskimo dialects and Danish • Religious freedom • 98% Protestant; .1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that God hears and answers our prayers (Isaiah 65:24).

Optional Reading: Luke 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Hebrews 4:16

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 28 – 29
Highlights:

The daily and weekly offerings (sacrifices), Sabbath and monthly offerings (sacrifices), and the offerings (sacrifices) at the appointed feasts

The Israelites' civil year began in the fall with the Feast of Trumpets: In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, ye shall have an holy convocation (sacred assembly); ye shall do no servile (daily) work: it is a day of blowing the trumpets unto you (Numbers 29:1). This joyous day of blowing the trumpets was followed 10 days later by the solemn Day of Atonement. This was followed by the Feast of Tabernacles (Booths), which was also called the Feast of Ingathering because the work in the fields was finished and the time had come for the people to rest from their labors. It was a time of great rejoicing and lasted for seven days, from the 15th through the 21st of Tishri (Sept/Oct) (Exodus 23:16; 34:22; Leviticus 23:33-44). It was followed by an eighth day of holy convocation on the 22nd which, though closely connected with the Feast of Tabernacles, was not a part of that feast for the people no longer lived in "booths."

The Feast of Tabernacles was the last feast of the religious year. For seven days, all the residents of Israel dwelt in temporary booths (shelters) as an annual reminder of the time when they dwelt in tents during their 40 years in the wilderness. The trees used for these temporary dwellings also had symbolic meanings. The trees provided shade, as well as reminded the people of the Lord's protection and provision. The palm tree was the emblem of victory and the olive tree was a symbol of peace and God's presence (Nehemiah 8:15). The willow tree of the brook (Leviticus 23:40) signified a thriving and blessed people, a reminder that a blessed man shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his (its) fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever (whatever) he doeth shall prosper (Psalm 1:3).

The life of a Christian is a journey. It should be a great adventure of daily going on with the Lord into deeper experiences and greater faith. With the Apostle Paul, let us each say: I press toward the mark (goal) for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14).

Thought For The Day:

God's expects His people to give generously to support His ministries.

Word Studies:

29:6 month, new moon; 29:7 ye shall afflict your souls: ye shall not do any work therein, you shall have a day of no work, but one of solemn fasting, soul searching, prayer, and repentance of all known sin.

Christ Revealed:

By the Tabernacles (Booths) (Numbers 29:12-39; Leviticus 23:34). The Word (logos, i.e. the sayings of God) was made (became) flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:14). The Greek word translated dwelt means to "tabernacle or live in a tent temporarily."

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by James and JoAnne Casteel • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Grenada (97,000) southernmost of the Windward Islands • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 61% Roman Catholic; 31% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourself and reverence the Word of God; He will look upon you with affection (Isaiah 66:2).

Optional Reading: Luke 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 30 – 31
Highlights:

Law concerning vows; Midianites conquered; division of booty; officers and captains bring an offering to the Lord

The Midianites were descendants of Abraham through his wife Keturah, whom he married after Sarah died (Genesis 25:1-2). The Midianites had devastated Israel, not as enemies who had won a war but as friendly idol worshipers who invited the Israelites to become involved in the worship of their pagan deity Baal-peor and then to commit adultery with their women. This resulted in the death of 24,000 Israelites (Numbers 25:9). Some time later, God spoke to Moses saying: Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites (31:2; 25:17-18).

In this war, Moses sent a thousand of every tribe to execute the judgment of God upon the ungodly Midianites. And they slew the kings of Midian . . . Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword (31:5-9,15-17). Balaam had chosen to live in luxury among the Midianites while enjoying the esteem of the king and the people. It was not incidental that God's judgment also fell on him (Hebrews 9:27).

Ironically Balaam had said to Balak: I cannot go beyond the Word of the Lord my God, to do less or more (Numbers 22:18, also 22:38; 23:26; 24:13) and Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his (Jacob's)! (23:10). The Israelites are symbolic of God's people – the Church (25:1-2). Some "Christians", like Balaam, seem to seek first the pleasures of this world. Like Balaam, self-interests and compromise have deceived many who assumed they would die the death of the righteous but failed to live the Christian life.

God has said, Christ is before all things. . . . And He is the Head of the Body, the Church . . . that in all things He might have the preeminence (Colossians 1:17-18). The children of God are not told to be successful in worldly goals or pleasures but faithful in pursuit of His will. Authentic believers in Christ make up His Church. It is within the Church that Christ professed that his followers would become without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing (Ephesians 5:27). It is for that purpose that we were created. The New Testament knows little of Christianity without loyalty to His Church. Christ . . . gave Himself for it (the Church); That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, That He might present it to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish (Ephesians 5:25-27).

Thought For The Day:

God can be trusted to always keep His promises. Can we be trusted to keep ours?

Word Studies:

31:29 for an heave offering, by a gesture of willingness, waving the sacrifice in presenting it to the Lord; 31:39 tribute, portion assigned to the Lord; required assessment; taxes.

Christ Revealed:

As the Ruling One who will righteously judge all sinners (Numbers 31:1-17). In righteousness He doth judge (Revelation 19:11; II Thessalonians 1:7-9; Jude 1:14-15).

Pray for Staff :

Rick Hash • Country: Guatemala (12 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian languages • Religious freedom • 93% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Seek God in prayer with your whole heart and He will hear you (Jeremiah 29:12-13).

Optional Reading: Luke 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 32 – 33
Highlights:

Reuben, Gad, and half the tribe of Manasseh settle east of the Jordan; a summary of Israel's 40 years in the wilderness

More than 40 years had passed since Moses, while still in Egypt, foretold that God would lead the Israelites to the land He had promised to Abraham. While moving forward with great anticipation and almost in view of the promised land, two of the twelve tribes, those of Reuben and Gad, which had a very great multitude of cattle (Numbers 32:1), decided they would be better off if they remained on the eastern side of the Jordan. So they said to Moses: The country which the Lord smote (conquered) . . . is a land for cattle, and thy servants have cattle: Wherefore, said they . . . let this land be given unto thy servants for a possession, and bring us not over Jordan (32:4-5). Moses replied: Wherefore (Why) discourage ye the heart of the children of Israel from going over into the land which the Lord hath given them? (32:7). They were joined by half the tribe of Manasseh (32:33). Humanly speaking, it was a wise financial decision; but, spiritually, it was an act of compromise. The unity of the nation and being able to worship regularly in the presence of God at the Tabernacle should have been uppermost in their desires.

Over a period of years they gradually became involved in idol worship and ignored the Lord's instructions: These words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up (Deuteronomy 6:6-9).

The two and one-half tribes typify self-indulgent Christians who foolishly allow financial, social, or physical advantages to overly influence their decision making. Like the two and one-half tribes, allowing worldly interests to influence anyone to neglect weekly worship is a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to eternal tragedies as the prophet foretold: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge . . . I will also forget thy children (Hosea 4:6). Christ is to be Lord of every Christian's life. Whatever the faults of the Church as we know it, the Church is Christ's Church and Christians are to be responsible members of a local body of believers. If we neglect the Church, we shall eventually drift into secular ac-tivities and a loss of spiritual values. Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. . . . For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24,26).

Thought For The Day:

Are you content to do God's will? The Lord says godliness with contentment is great gain.

Word Studies:

32:14 augment, increase; 32:39 dispossessed, drove out; 33:2 goings out, starting places; 33:52 pictures, carved figures that were objects of worship; quite pluck down, completely destroy; high places, the places for idol worship.

Christ Revealed:

Through the promised land — filled with abundance, as well as protection, for those who live in harmony with His Word (Num. 33:50-54). I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).

Pray for Our Nation • Country: Guinea (8 million) on the Atlantic coast of western Africa • Major languages: French and tribal languages • Freedom for nationals, but strict limitations on missionaries • 83% Muslim; 12% tribal religions; 4% Roman Catholic; .6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Know that the Lord is loving and merciful to His children (Jeremiah 31:9).

Optional Reading: Luke 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 34 – 36
Highlights:

Dividing the land of Canaan; inheritance of the Levites

The tribe of Levi, which included the priests, did not inherit a sepa-rate territory in the promised land. They were to depend on the people's tithes, as God had commanded. Forty-eight cities and pasturelands scattered throughout the other tribes were assigned to them as permanent residences (Joshua 21:1-42). Of their 48 cities, six were assigned as cities of refuge, which were easily accessible throughout the 12 tribes. These cities were vitally important as places of safety for those who had unintentionally killed someone until a trial could determine their guilt or innocence (Numbers 35:6-7,11,13).

Our Creator demands that whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness (accuser) shall not testify against any person to cause him to die. Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction (ran-som) for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death. . . . So ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: for blood it defileth the land: and the land cannot be cleansed of the blood that is shed therein, but by the blood of him that shed it (35:30-31,33).

Not all killing is murder and murder should not be confused with killing in times of war. The Lord had sanctioned war in order for Israel to possess the promised land as well as many other wars (31:2; 25: 17,18). The prohibition, Thou shalt not kill (Exodus 20:13), means to slay with premeditation and malice. The one who had inadvertently killed another must dwell in the city of refuge after being found not guilty (Numbers 35:6-29). Such cities, however, could not harbor those who were truly guilty of willfully taking another's life. When it was proven to the satisfaction of the congregation that the accused person was guilty of murder, he had to be put to death, regardless of age or whether it was a man or a woman. There was to be no consideration of being sentenced to time in prison, the possibility of parole, rehabilitation, or any kind of financial settlement.

Without a doubt, the prosecution and execution of criminals is an exceedingly painful situation that everyone would prefer to avoid; and yet, it is necessary to maintain justice and order, the welfare of our society, and, most importantly, the approval of God. Blessed are they that do His Commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs (morally corrupt), and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie (Revelation 22:14-15).

Thought For The Day:

When you stand before the judgment seat of Christ, will your works survive the test of fire?

Word Studies:

34:5 fetch a compass, take a turn toward, goings out, end; 35:15 unawares, unintentionally; 35:26 come without, go outside; 36:4 jubile, refers to every fiftieth year, when all debts were canceled (Leviticus 25:10-12,28).

Christ Revealed:

By the cities of refuge. Christ is our Refuge from the judgment of God and the curse of the Law. We . . . have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us . . . even Jesus (Hebrews 6:18-20).

Pray for Our Nation • Country: Guinea-Bissau (1 million) on the western coast of Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Criolo • Religious freedom • 51% animist; 42% Muslim; 6% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Express your gratitude for the loving-kindness of God (Jeremiah 32:17-18

Optional Reading: Luke 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 1 – 2

Highlights:

Moses reviews the Lord's goodness to the Israelites; the years in the wilderness; failure to enter the promised land because of unbelief; Israelites conquer Sihon.
For the Lord thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the Lord thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing (Deut. 2:7).

The old generation that left Egypt had not discerned that the purpose of God had for their trials was to develop their faith in His loving guidance. How different the history of Israel could have been if only they had trusted the Word of God instead of believing the report of the ten spies. They forever missed the blessings in Canaan (See Num. 13: 31).

Moses told the new generation the reason their parents failed to gain the promised land — they did not believe the Lord your God (Deut. 1:32).

The new generation of Israelites faced the same problems their parents faced thirty-eight years earlier. In a few days they would be crossing the river Jordan, facing walled cities, and walking in unfamiliar territory.

Not only were the Canaanites a numerous and powerful people, but the Israelites were a very unpromising people. The Israelites' history was a continuous record of complaining, wanting to return to Egypt, and disobeying the Laws of God.

At one time or another, every Christian faces "giant" problems, but God provides strength to all who trust Him. But not until we actively move out in faith to accomplish His purposes will we truly be what He would have us be.

To trust the Lord when we are faced with giants and high walls does not come natural for anyone. But faith is developed as we act upon the Word of God because faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom. 10:17). To the measure that we read and meditate upon His Word —and act upon it — our faith is increased.

The Holy Spirit is the divine Interpreter of the Word we have in our hearts. As we read the Bible, the Holy Spirit's ministry is to make the Word quick, and powerful so that Bible Truths become a living reality in our lives. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

Then, we need not fear the strength or the number of our hindrances, for the shield of faith . . . shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked (Eph. 6:16).

Thought for Today:

Do not be discouraged because of past failure. Just look to God and trust in Him.
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses, who spake unto the children of Israel, according unto all that the Lord had given him in Commandment unto them (Deut. 1:3). Jesus faithfully told others everything God told Him to say. I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28).
Word Studies:

1:12 cumbrance, disputes; 1:39 should be a prey, would be taken captive; 1:42 smitten, defeated; 2:1 compassed, went around; 2:18 coast, border or territory; 2:33 smote, defeated.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • International Radio Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Rep. Randy M. Hultgren (IL) • Country: Switzerland (7 million) in central Europe • Major languages: German and French • Religious freedom • 53% Roman Catholic; 41% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks to the Lord for all things (Eph. 5:19-20).
Optional Reading: Luke 16

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.
Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:20

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 3 – 4

Highlights:

Og, King of Bashan; division of the land; Moses' prayer to enter Canaan; his view of the promised land; his plea for national obedience; warning against idolatry; cities of refuge chosen.
And because He loved thy fathers, therefore He chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in His sight with His mighty power out of Egypt (Deut. 4:37).

The new generation of Israelites that grew up in the wilderness experienced many changes. The desert "wanderings" ceased as they settled within the promised land of Canaan. Houses replaced the tents, produce from the land replaced the manna.

Not only did Moses declare the Law of God to this new generation, but most precious of all, they experienced a new revelation of God — the revelation of His love!

From the time of creation in Genesis through the Book of Numbers — almost 3,000 years — nothing is said about the love of God. But in the Book of Deuteronomy, it is repeated four times: The Lord . . . loved thy fathers (4:35-37); the Lord loved you (7:8); The Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them (10:15); the Lord thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the Lord thy God loved thee (23:5).

This added revelation was to strengthen the new generation's faith in Him to lead them into the promised land. But the supreme manifestation of the love of God was yet to be revealed.

Yes, God loved Israel, and He loved the world so much that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). As many as received Him (Jesus) . . . gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God (1:12-13).

Jesus further explained how and why we receive this new nature of God: Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God (3:5-7).

Believe and receive the love-gift of eternal life and let Jesus express His will through you. He said: He that hath My Commandments, and keepth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him (14:21).

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another ( I John 4:11).

Thought for Today:

It is easy to say that we love God, but the true test is: Do we show that love to the people we see daily?
Christ Portrayed:

By Joshua who led the Israelites into their inheritance (Deut. 3:28). Through Jesus we receive His promised inheritance among them which are sanctified (set apart) by faith that is in Me (Acts 26:18).
Word Studies:

3:7 spoil, plunder; prey, prize of the war; 3:18 meet, fit; 3:28 charge, commission (also 31:14); 4:2 diminish ought, take away anything; 4:10 fear, have reverential heartfelt submission to and respect for (also 14:23; 28:58; Josh. 22:5); 4:13 covenant, binding agreement with all qualifications given by God (also 5:2; 33:9); 4:14 possess, live in; 4:19 divided, allotted; 4:27 heathen, Gentile people; 4:30 tribulation, distress, suffering; 4:34 assayed, ever tried; 4:41 severed, separated; 4:42 unawares, accidentally.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Radio Broadcasts unto the Lord • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Hansen Clarke (MI) and DOI Sec'y. Ken L. Salazer • Country: Syria (17 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Limited religious freedom for Christians • 90% Muslim; 4% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Roman Catholic; .25% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Wives, ask the Lord to give you a submissive spirit to your husbands as if it were to the Lord (Eph. 5:22).
Optional Reading: Luke 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 5 – 7

Highlights:

The Ten Commandments; warnings against disobedience; teaching the children the Law of God; blessings of obedience.
And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the Statutes and Judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them (Deut. 5:1).

Just as their parents before them had done, the second generation of Israelites soon began to ignore the Word of God.

Under the old Covenant there was always one problem: although the Law that was given at Mt. Sinai was holy, it was written on stone. It could reveal the divine will of God and expose sin, but it could not impart the desire or the strength to obey its Commands.

The new Covenant in Christ was written not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart . . . not of the letter, but of the spirit (II Cor. 3: 3,6). This is made possible through the new birth whereby we are given the nature of God that dwells within all who receive Christ as Savior and Lord (John 3:3,5; Rom. 8:9-11).

As we read His Word with a desire to please the Lord, it becomes "written in our hearts." Through the indwelling Word that is written in our hearts, our spirit can know His will. But it is only by surrendering to Christ that we receive the desire and strength to fulfill His will. Christ — the living, indwelling Word — becomes our very life. All of us should be able to say: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

Whoever has a love for God will live by His message. By this we can be sure that we are in union with Him. Whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him (I John 2:5; comp. Jer. 31:33; Phil. 2:13).

When we love the Lord, we are enabled by Him to suffer, sacrifice, or surrender whatever is necessary to please Him. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ (Phil. 3:8).

Whoever loves God will desire to live according to His Word. For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and His Commandments are not grievous (I John 5:3).

Thought for Today:

Empowered by His Word we will do His will.
Christ Revealed:

Through the land flowing with milk and honey (Deut. 6:3). This pictures Christ who bountifully provides for our needs. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).
Word Studies:

5:1 statutes, permanent laws; judgments, laws, verdicts, sentences; 5:2 Covenant, binding agreement with all qualifications given by God; 6:21 bondmen, slaves; 6:22 sore, terrible; 7:25 graven images, carved wooden idols; abomination, detestable, hated thing; 7:26 cursed thing, thing set apart for destruction.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. David Schweikert (AZ) and Rep. Rosa L. DeLauro (CT) • Country: St. Lucia (154,000) in the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 83% Roman Catholic; 13% Protestant; 2% spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the Church (Eph. 5:25).
Optional Reading: Luke 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 8 – 10

Highlights:

A good land to be possessed; warning against forgetting the Lord; judgment upon the Canaanites; Israel's rebellion and Moses' intercessory prayer; second tables of stone; the Lord's requirements of Israel.
And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live (Deut. 8:3).

After entering Canaan, the new generation would be especially tempted to become proud that they had possession of the promised land. They would then be tempted to forget God while enjoying the abundance of the land.

The desert wanderings were to teach the Israelites to lose confidence in self and to cause them to daily depend on His Word and realize that man does not live by bread alone but by the Word of the Lord.

Moses assured the new generation that obedience to the Word of God would bring them into a land of prosperity. However, if in their prosperity they forgot God and served false gods, then God would remove them from their inheritance.

When Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, He quoted from Deuteronomy (8:3) saying: Man shall not live by bread alone (Matt. 4:4). In each of Christ's three testings in the wilderness, He over came Satan by quoting Old Testament Scripture. These are examples of the power of the Word of God to overcome the enemy (Deut. 6:13-16; 13:4).

One of the most remarkable facts of modern times is that the Bible, although it is hundreds of years old, is now the world's "best seller." By the time most textbooks are ten years old, they are out of date.

God has preserved His written Word through many centuries and through it, He speaks to our generation today. The Christian who desires to please His Master will let the Scripture be his daily food and meditation.

All the Bible is essential for man's complete spiritual food and growth. Nothing can be omitted without seriously impairing the whole. As we read the Bible, His power and life become a part of us.

This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever (John 6: 58).

Thought for Today:

The Bible is the Bread of Life — our source of strength that enables us to accomplish His will.
Christ Revealed:

Through the shittim (acacia) wood used to make the Ark of the Covenant (Deut. 10:3). Acacia wood, a desert growth, is symbolic of Christ in His human form. When the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the Law (Gal. 4:4).
Word Studies:

8:2 prove, test; 8:14 thine heart be lifted up, you become unmindful of God; 8:18 establish His Covenant, accept His agreement with His qualifications; 9:5 perform the word, accomplish His promise; 9:6 stiffnecked, stubborn, self-willed; 10:6 stead, place; 10:15 seed, descendants.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Rick Perry (TX), Rep. Chris Smith (NJ), and Rep. James Lankford (OK) • Country: St. Vincent and The Grenadines (120,000) in the Lesser Antilles of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 50% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 2% spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Children, ask the Lord to enable you to honor your parents (Eph. 6:1-3).
Optional Reading: Luke 19

Memory Verse for the Week: Philippians 2:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Deuteronomy 1 – 2
Highlights:

Moses reviews the Lord's goodness to the Israelites; the years in the wilderness; failure to enter the promised land because of unbelief; Israelites conquer Sihon.

For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: He knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing (Deut. 2:7).

Despite their miraculous deliverance from Egypt, a supply of food and water, and the cloud by day and the fire by night to guide them, the older generation still complained and found fault with everything. They failed to enter the promised land because they didn't believe that God would give them victory over the Canaanites.

The adult Children of Israel who had left Egypt did not realize that their hardships were designed to test their faith and prepare them to defeat the Canaanites (8:2). As a consequence of their sin of unbelief, that first generation failed to accomplish the will of God and wasted their lives wandering in the wilderness until they all had died except for Caleb and Joshua.

We too face a choice. We can be like the Children of Israel who found excuses for their failure, or we can choose to be like Caleb and Joshua, whose faith led them to be faithful servants.

Like the majority of that first generation, some today have made no spiritual progress since they first believed. They refuse to be involved in the Church even though Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for it. They disregard their Lord's communion table even though their Savior said: This cup is the new testament in My blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me (I Corinthians 11:25). Many times prayer is neglected, even though its necessity is no secret to even the newest of believers.

Christians can rejoice that by faith in the Word of God they overcome the "giants" in their lives of the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (I John 2:15-17). It is our privilege as Christians to be doers of the Word, and not hearers only (James 1:22). Just as God had a plan for Israel, so He has a plan for His sons and daughters.

Regardless of adverse circumstances, loving submission to the Lord develops our faith in His ability to guide, protect, and provide for our every need. We should live to do the will of God that he (we) no longer should live the rest of his (our) time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries (I Peter 4:2-3).

Thought for Today:

Will we respond to our trying circumstances like Caleb and by faith be faithful servants?

Word Studies:

1:2 mount Seir, mountain range in Edom that includes Mount Sinai; 1:12 bear your cumbrance, endure your complaints; 2:9 Distress not, Do not create a problem; 2:14 were wasted out, had died; host, men of war of that generation.

Christ Portrayed:

By Moses, who spake unto the children of Israel, according unto all that the LORD had given him in commandment unto them (Deuteronomy 1:3). Jesus faithfully told others everything God told Him to say. I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28).

Pray for Government Officials: on your local, State, and Federal levels • Military worldwide • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Country: Guyana (705,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: English and Amerindian dialects • The government is becoming increasingly Marxist, radical, and atheistic • 36% Hindu; 28% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 9% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Call unto the Lord and He will give you strength to overcome (Jeremiah 33:3).

Optional Reading: Luke 16

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk