Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 9 – 11
Highlights:

Fifth and sixth trumpets; angel and the little book; the two witnesses; the seventh trumpet.
And I will give power unto my two witnesses . . . . And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them (Rev. 11:3,7).

Who are these witnesses? What is their message? When will they appear? Many have answers. But let us not become so concerned over the identity of these witnesses in this future event that we fail to recognize their significance to us.

The two witnesses are not a self-appointed committee, but they are commissioned by God to face the fierce opposition of those who hate God. These two witnesses will be led by the Lord. And God will empower them. They will be invincible until they shall have finished their testimony. Then and only then will these witnesses for Christ be martyred in the city where also our Lord was crucified (11:8). Only after the time fixed by God for their ministry to be completed will these prophets be given over to the violence of their enemies to become martyrs. Yet the cause which they advocate will not even be weakened; And they heard a great voice from heaven . . . And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud (11:12) in full view of their enemies.

It is wonderful to know that, regardless of all else, our work for the Lord cannot end until He is pleased to promote us into His presence. We know that all things work together for good to them that love God (Rom 8:28). We have this wonderful assurance in life. As long as we live for Christ, His plan is at work in our lives. We don't have to be fearful as to what the day holds. We know who holds the next day in His hands.

There were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever (Rev.11:15).

The same voice of God speaks through His Word to each of us who make up His Church today. He calls for a dedication and for a thankful spirit that will count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations (various trials); Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing (James 1:2-4). He calls for a sense of urgency to prepare us for the tasks He has placed before us. Multitudes are without Jesus and His free pardon of sin. We need to feel the urgency to win souls for Christ.

Jesus said: Ye shall be witnesses unto Me (Acts 1:8). We too are called to live — or die — as faithful witnesses for Christ.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord (II Cor. 15:58).

Thought for the Day: A Christlike nature can be seen through the life that is submissive to God's word.

Cross References:

For Rev. 9:2: See Joel 2:10. Rev. 9:4: See Ex. 12:23. Rev. 9:6: See Jer. 8:3. Rev. 9:7: See Joel 2:4. Rev. 9:8: See Joel 1:6. Rev 9:9: See Joel 2:5-7. Rev. 10:6: See Neh. 9:6. Rev. 11:4: See Zech. 4:2-3,11-12,14. Rev. 11:11: See Ezek. 37:5.
Word Studies:

9:11 Abaddon (Apollyon or destroyer), satanic angel and king of the abyss that is reserved for the wicked; 10:6 time no longer, no more delay.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • Country: Liberia (3 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and more than 20 local languages of the Niger-Congo language group • Religious freedom • 41% ancestor worship and witchcraft; 21% Muslim; 13% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for your daily needs (Matt. 6:11).
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 2:11

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 12 – 13
Highlights:

The sun-clad woman, the dragon, the man child, the blood of the Lamb, the beast.
And there appeared another wonder . . . a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns . . . . And I heard a loud voice saying . . . the accuser of our brethren is cast down . . . . And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death (Rev. 12:3,10,11).

Chapter 12 gives us a brief but all-important summary of the whole course of events, but not viewed from a human viewpoint. It is the divine view of all the principles at work, the state of things as revealed by God. It is not often we gain a view of things from the heavenly side. However, to truly understand what is transpiring in this Book of Revelation, God opens the veil into the spiritual world for us to see.

The trial of the remnant of God occurs in the wilderness (12:6) to illustrate the desert-like moral condition of this world ruled by a great red dragon (Satan) (12:3). The great dragon . . . that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world (12:9), is in opposition to the faithful people of God. Satan is always seeking to destroy the likeness of Christ and His Word wherever it exists. Here he is given four titles: The great dragon — the seven heads, ten horns, and crowns of the dragon indicate the great influence and the many forms of Satan's malicious, evil activities in causing people to oppose the work of Christ. That old serpent points out his deceptive character which he used in the Garden of Eden. The Devil reminds us that he is a slanderer and a liar; and Satan means adversary. Your adversary the Devil . . . walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8). The perpetual enemy of Christ is as determined to destroy the work of Christ as Pharaoh was to kill all the Hebrew male children during the time of Moses, and as Herod was to slaughter all the babies in Bethlehem in an effort to kill Jesus Christ.

But, praise God, we are more than conquerors through Him (Christ) that loved us (Rom. 8:37). A Christian is able to have peace even in difficult situations because he knows the all powerful God is in control and He gives peace.

Christians in every generation overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb, and by the Word of their testimony (God's Word that became a way of life); and they loved not their lives unto the death (Rev. 12:11). Here is given the reason why the followers of Christ prevailed at this time against all their adversaries. It was because they fought against the dragon in the armour of God. They overcame him by the Blood of the Lamb, by proclaiming salvation to sinners through Christ crucified, and by their continual intercession at the throne of grace for the conversion of the heathen world.

Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night (Rev. 12:10).

Thought for the Day: Satan thrives on the ignorance of saints concerning himself. God's Word reveals his tactics.

Cross References:

For Rev. 12:5: See Is. 66:7. Rev. 12:14: See Ex. 19:4. Rev. 13:1: See Dan. 7:8,24. Rev. 13:5: See Dan. 7:8.
Word Studies:

12:6 threescore, 60; 12:17 wroth, furious.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by James and Ila Drost • Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (NE) and Rep. Joe Walsh (IL) • Country: Libya (5 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and Italian • No form of Christian witness to Libyans is permitted • 98% Muslim; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Forgive others without exception, and then ask the Lord to forgive you (Matt. 6:12).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 14 – 16
Highlights:

The Lamb; messages of the angels; harvest of the earth; preparation for the seven vials of wrath.
If any man worship the beast . . . he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone . . . And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night (Rev. 14:9-11).

In contrast, it is the Lord Jesus Christ that we should be worshiping in our church services. There is no doubt Jesus Christ deserves the praise and worship of every believer. It is He who gave His life for all mankind. Let us never focus our adoration on something earthly. The Son of God deserves all we can give. Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters (14:7).

Here is the patience of the saints (Christians): here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them (14:12-13).

The dead which die in the Lord can only mean those for whom Jesus prayed: They have kept Thy Word . . . They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world (John 17:6,16). Such believers willingly take up Jesus' cross of daily self-denial (Luke 9:23). In striking contrast, our Lord drew aside the veil of the unseen world and revealed the horror of the inevitable, fiery torment that awaits those who die without ever accepting the free gift of salvation through Christ Jesus (Rev. 14:9-11). They have chosen to enjoy the temporary pleasure of sin over an eternity of being in the presence of Christ.

There is an eternal hell, and all whose names are not found in the Book of Life will be cast into this lake of fire (Rev. 20:15). What words could God have used to make this warning more clear? Jesus has made the way plain. Man strives to make his own way which ends up leading people further away from God. What could be easier than accepting Christ as Lord and Savior? In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:2-3).

John declared that he saw a new Heaven and a new earth in a sinless environment where nothing that defileth can enter. There shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27).

Thought for the Day: God is no respector of persons — everyone will receive his just rewards — good or evil.

Cross References:

For Rev. 14:7: See Ps. 146:6. Rev. 14:8: See Is. 21:9. Rev. 14:10: See Jer. 25:15; 51:7. Rev. 14:15: See Joel 3:13. Rev. 14:20: See Is. 63:3. Rev. 15:1: See Lev. 26:21. Rev. 15:4: Ps. 86:9; Is. 66:23; Jer. 10:7. Rev. 15:8: See I Kin. 8:10-11.
Word Studies:

14:5 no guile, no lie or deception; 15:7 vials, bowls or cups.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Spencer Bachus (AL), Gov. Mike Beebe (AR), Sen. Johnny Isakson (GA), and Sen. Tim Johnson (SD) • Country: Liechtenstein (32,000) in western Europe • Major languages: German and Alemannic dialect • Religious freedom • 87% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to lead you in all that you do (Matt. 6:13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 17 – 18

Highlights:

Babylon, the mother of abominations, the doom of Babylon predicted; its fall.
And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit . . . and the merchants of the earth are waxed right through the abundance of her delicacies (Rev. 18:2-3).

Over one-eighth of the entire Book of Revelation, about 65 verses, is devoted to the subject of judgment upon Babylon (14:8-19; 16:17-19:5) and therefore deserves our full attention.

Babylon represents a great worldwide religious organization that is no longer faithful to Christ. It not only permeates the religious world but it also seeks to control the social and the political world.

The Apostle John reported that he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns . . . . having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations (detestable sins) and filthiness of her fornication (unfaithfulness to God): And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH (17:3-5). Old Testament Babylon was the most magnificent and most powerful capital city of the ancient world.

BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS illustrates God-defying forces in politics and religion. This federation of churches, world religions, and world governments will give full support to the one-world political and economic system, which will be ruled by the Antichrist.

The way to escape the world religious system and its beguiling influences is by separation from worldly principles. That separation becomes real when we experience joy and satisfaction in Christ. I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues (Rev 18:4). The way of escape is clear. Place your trust in God and His Word. This will always be the means of escape from the hands of those who would oppose God. Many have tried opposing God over the years and the results are always the same. They experience great failure.

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful (Rev 17:14).

Thought for the Day: Those who know God's word will not be led into false religions.

Cross References:

For Rev. 17:4: See Jer. 51:7. Rev. 17:12: See Dan. 7:20-24. Rev. 17:14: See Dan. 2:47. Rev. 18:2: See Jer. 50:39; Is. 21:9. Rev. 18:5: See Jer. 51:9. Rev. 18:7-8: See Is. 47:7-8; Zeph. 2:15. Rev. 18:22: See Ezek. 26:13. Rev. 18:24: See Jer. 51:49.
Word Studies:

17:8 perdition = destruction; 18:2 Babylon (from "Babel") = confusion (Gen. 11:9). It is the name God chose for Satan's great earth system of religion and world government. The true Church is warned to come out of her (18:4-5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Chip Cravaack (MN) • Country: Lithuania (4 million) eastern coast of Baltic Sea in northeastern Europe • Major languages: Lithuanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 5% Russian Orthodox; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to forgive you of all ill will, grudges, or hatred you may hold in your heart toward another person (Matt. 6:14-15).
Memory Verse for the Week:
Luke 2:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 19 – 20

Highlights:

Rejoicing of the saints; marriage supper of the Lamb; rider on the white horse; Satan bound for a thousand years; great white throne judgement.
And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years (Rev. 20:1-2).

In the preceding chapter the beast and the false prophet are depicted as meeting their punishment in the lake of fire. In this, the devil, death, and Hades are consigned to a similar fate.

There may be many things that we do not understand in the Word of God but one thing is clear: there is a devil, that old serpent, called Satan. However, we are assured that our Lord is more powerful than Satan and that God will have the last word.

God cannot tolerate sin. Although He permitted sin to arise in His kingdom. God created Lucifer, and made him the anointed cherub, the highest of His created beings. God foreknew that Satan would pit his will against divine authority and corrupt his own nature, and that in his fallen state as Satan he would lead others into rebellion. How are thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer . . . . For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God . . . I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell (Is. 14:12-15). God also foreknew when He created man that man would rebel against Him and bring untold misery, sin and suffering upon all his descendants. Although God foresaw all, He still brought into being these creatures whose willful acts were to bring the curse of sin upon the universe.

The Bible reveals that Satan is behind all evil, seeking to destroy the work of God and all that is good. (see I Pet.5:8). He is a deceiver and will attempt to ensnare every Christian. In ourselves, we have no hope of overcoming the enemy but we have an indwelling power we can utilize to help us overcome the evil one. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world (I John 4:4).

Jesus' means of defeating Satan was by the very Word that we have in our hands today — the Bible (see Matt. 4:4,7,10). The Word of God is the greatest weapon at our disposal to defeat Satan. He does not have a chance when we use the Sword of the Spirit against him. He recognizes the Word when he hears it and knows it is the inspired Word of God and he fears it.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand . . . . And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Eph. 6:13,17).

Thought for the Day: Our Captain (the Lord Jesus) and His disciples have never lost a battle.

Cross References:

For Rev. 19:2: See Ps. 19:9; Deut. 32:43; II Kin. 9:7. Rev. 19:5: See Ps. 115:13. Rev. 19:11: See Ps. 96:13. Rev. 19:16: See Deut. 10:17. Rev. 19:18: See Ezek. 39:4. Rev. 20:2-3: See Is. 24:22. Rev. 20:8: See Ezek. 38:2,15. Rev. 20:12: See Dan. 7:10.
Word Studies:

19:6 Omnipotent = All-Powerful; 19:13 vesture = robe; 20:9 compassed = surrounded.
Prayer For Government Official: Rep. Mike Pompeo (KS) • Country: Luxembourg (429,000) in western Europe • Major languages: Luxembourgish and German • Religious freedom • 84% Roman Catholic; 2% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and fast in secret so that only the Lord knows.

Matthew 4:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Revelation 21 – 22

Highlights:

The new heaven and the new earth; the heavenly Jerusalem; Christ's return.
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death (Rev. 21:8).

We have come to an end of another year, and to the end of THE BOOK far above all books. In fact it is the only BOOK provided by our Creator that reveals who the True God is. It reveals that we are lost sinners and how God wants us to live; and how to prepare for eternal life.

The Bible has always been the best seller, even though the Author wrote only one BOOK using about 40 people over a period of about 1500 years.

After prayerfully reading it, we will never be the same. And one of these days, sooner than we think, we will be turning the last page in our own journey though life. Once we've read it we will be better prepared to fulfil His will.

In your daily Bible reading, think, pray, and believe that the Holy Spirit will mold your life to be like Him whose Name is the Word of God (Rev. 19:13). Let His Word dwell in your thoughts throughout each day and you will become a living expression of His life. Let us renew our covenant to read His Guide.

There are many who walk in darkness and blindness today without even realizing their condition. They desperately need our prayers. There is a God who loves them and waits for them with open arms. Pray for their hearts to be opened, and thank a merciful God that your heart was broken, and now can experience and learn the freedom of His truth.

Those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life will sit at Christ's feet and learn from Him as Mary did many years ago. In the eternal light of the presence of God, there will be no darkness, and nothing unclean. What a day that will be to look forward to seeing. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you (Phil. 4:8-9). Our future is awesome and thrilling. Our mighty God has promised a new heaven and a new earth.

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea (Rev. 21:1).

Thought for the Day: Is your name included in Revelation 21:8, or has it been recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27)?

Cross References:

For Rev. 21:4: See Is. 25:8. Rev. 21:23: See Is. 60:19. Rev. 21:25: See Is. 60:11. Rev. 21:27: See Is. 52:1. Rev. 22:2: See Ezek. 47:12; Gen. 2:9. Rev. 22:3: See Zech. 14:11. Rev. 22:12: See Is. 40:10. Rev. 22:13: See Is. 44:6; 48:12. Rev. 22:16: See Is. 11:1. Rev. 22:18-19: See Deut. 12:32.
Word Studies:

21:9 the bride, the Lamb's wife = the Church, the Lord Jesus' Church; 21:16 twelve thousand furlongs = 1500 miles; 21:23 lighten it = illuminate it; 22:7 prophecy = foretelling, forth telling, teaching; 22:16 angel to testify = messenger to bear witness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Jeff Flake (AZ), Rep. Hal D. Rogers (KY), and Rep. Heath Shuler (NC) • Country: Macedonia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Macedonian and Albanian • strongly Orthodox country • 67% Macedonian Orthodox; 23% Muslim; 3% Catholic; 2% Protestant; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Do not worry about your material needs (Matt. 6:25-30).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 1 – 3

Highlights:

God said. . . . And God saw. . . . And God made; clearly describing creation — and where it all began. In chapter three we are introduced to Satan, the instigator of all evil.
And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth (Gen. 1:26).

What a powerful word one pronoun can be. The word "Us" in this Scripture gives us a reference in the Word of God to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. The first scriptural evidence of the preexisting Christ is found in this chapter (see also John 1:1).

Of course, this is only one of many verses that point us ahead thousands of years to the earthly coming of Jesus, the second person of the Godhead. We will see many Old Testament references to the coming King of kings. As a matter of fact, there are thousands of Messianic promises to be found in the Word of God.

Christ is mentioned to us right after the fall into sin of Adam and Eve. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel (Gen. 3:15). This shows that God is in control and is the first promise of Christ coming and being victorious over the devil.

We later find verses that speak of the death of Jesus on Calvary's cross. He keepeth all His bones: not one of them is broken (Ps. 34:20). This of course gives reference to the fact that He had no bones broken on the cross. It was customary to break the legs during crucifixion to speed up the process of death. This was not done to Christ. When they came to Jesus, and saw that He was dead already, they brake not His legs (John 19:33).

The Bible is clear on the fact that Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, has always been just like His Father. As a matter of fact, the Scripture says it was through Christ that all creation was manifested. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made (1:1-3).

Isn't it wonderful to know that our Savior is eternal just like His Father? It is Christ with whom we identify with God. He reveals God the Father to us through the interpersonal relationship we have with Him. Jesus even said Himself: he that hath seen Me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? (14:9).

God reveals His love to us in the gift of His Son, Jesus. Jesus gives Himself totally to us to pay our sin debt. This beautiful plan was decided before man was even made. When the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law (Gal. 4:4-5).

Thought for Today:

Obeying His Word always brings an abundant life.
Christ Revealed:

As Creator (Gen. 1:1; comp. John 1:1-4; Col. 1:15-17; Heb. 11:3). As the Seed of woman (Gen. 3:15; Is. 7:14; 9:6-7). God sent forth His Son, made of a woman (Gal. 4:4).
Word Studies:

1:29 meat = food in general; 2:10 heads = branches, rivers; 2:14 Hiddekel = Tigris; 2:24 cleave = cling; 3:1 subtil = shrewd, crafty, sly; 3:13 beguiled = deceived, seduced, led astray; 3:15 it = her Seed (Jesus Christ); bruise = wound.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Terri A. Sewell (AL), Rep. John Sullivan (OK), and Sen. Robert Menendez (NJ) • Country: Madagascar (15 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique • Major languages: French and Malagasy • Increasingly anti-Christian • 43% witchcraft,ancestor worship, and some astrology; 21% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Trust that God will provide your needs when you put His will first in your life (Matt. 6:31-33).
Optional Reading:

Matthew 1
NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 4 – 6

Highlights:

As the Lord continues to disclose mankind's lineage, He contrasts the ungodly line of Cain with the godly line of Seth. About sixteen hundred years between Adam's rebellion and the flood in Noah's day. Destruction of the wicked in the flood.
And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? (Gen. 4:9).

Ever since Cain disavowed any responsibility for his brother Abel, we mortals have tried to deny our role in taking care of the vulnerable people around us.

During World War II in Germany, millions — yes millions of precious souls — died at the hands of the Nazis, because of their Jewish heritage. Some were executed in gas chambers, some perished of hunger, while others were worked to death. Many church leaders in Germany were aware of these atrocities, but turned their heads and didn't speak out. Did God want them to be their brother's keeper? Some brave souls, such as Deitrich Bonhoeffer, did stand up to the regime, and paid with their lives. But too many remained mute, leaving their vulnerable and helpless fellow human beings alone in their time of need.

Sometimes we think that tragedy of such devastating and mass proportions could not take place in our world today. But sadly, that would be incorrect. In the Congo (an African country), alone due to malnutrition, war etc., almost 50,000 people a month are dying. That's equal to the population of an average-sized town in America — every month! And in fact, every night in the U.S., children go to bed hungry. In our own "backyard," our brothers and sisters are in need. Should we be our brothers' keepers? Should everyone be subsidized? Absolutely not; that would be unbiblical. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat (II Thes. 3:10). That breeds overdependence, which is actually not helpful to the empowerment of those "helped." Not to mention that it's poor stewardship because it leaves less for those in dire need.

And to be sure, there is genuine need around us. Just as Henri Nouwen, a Christ-dedicated, Dutch-born, Catholic priest used to lose sleep over the needs of his brothers and sisters in "Third World" countries, and as the Apostle Paul told us we need to consider the problems of others to be our own. We should look to the interests of those who don't have basic provisions. The Lord does ask us to be our brother's keeper whenever He opens the opportunity to us.

I challenge you all, along with myself, to ask God to guide us to our roles. Perhaps yours is prayer, it's really the most important and powerful thing we do, of course! Or maybe your role is to volunteer one day a month at a food bank. Maybe you could lend a listening ear to someone who is hurting. Mentor a child. Teach an adult to read. Let God lead you to the one whom you might be their "keeper."

And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise (Luke 3:10-11).

Thought for Today:

Attempting to allow Christ to be Lord of our lives without being obedient to His Word is futile (Luke 6:46).
Christ Revealed:

Through Abel's blood sacrifice (Gen. 4:4-7). Christ is the Lamb of God, sacrificed for man's sin (John 1:29; Heb. 9:22; 11:4). Man's best achievements can never take the place of Christ's atonement made through His own sinless blood.
Word Studies:

4:4 had respect = approved; 4:5 wroth = exceedingly angry; 4:22 artificer = craftsman in metal; 5:3 begat = fathered; 5:24 was not = was translated to (disappeared into) heaven; 6:6 repented the LORD = grieved the Lord; 6:9 perfect = blameless.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Country: Malawi (10 million) in southeastern Africa • Major languages: English and Chichewa • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 23% Roman Catholic; 16% Muslim; 16% animist; 4% cults • Prayer Suggestion: Thank the Lord that you have no need to fear. Trust Him one day at a time (Matt. 6:33-34).
Optional Reading:

Matthew 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 7 – 9

Highlights:

Emphasis on the importance of reading for ourselves exactly what God has provided in the Bible rather than depending on any other book. Promise of the rainbow (see Is. 54:9-10), Noah given command (Gen. 9:1).
And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark (Gen. 7:23).

God's creation had become so full of wickedness that He decided to destroy it (Gen. 6:5). However, God found Noah to be righteous among all of His creation. Because of this righteousness, only Noah and his family were chosen by God to be saved from the devastation of the flood to come. Noah was obedient to and had faith in his Creator: Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he (Gen. 6:22).

God instructed Noah to build an ark that would save him and his family when the great flood came upon the earth. Like Noah, we live in a corrupt world. Wickedness, greed, violence, and all sorts of evils are all around us. When God examines our thoughts and actions, what does He find? Are we known for our godly actions and not just for our words? Like Noah, can we be counted as good and faithful servants?

Peter knew and taught that such great men of old, like Noah, were saved due to their righteousness. Also, that with the washing of the blood of the Lamb, the Great Comforter, the Holy Spirit, comes and dwells within us. Thus we are made holy and righteous in the eyes of God. We then have a home that is not of this world. A home much better than this earth. We are washed clean by the holy righteous blood of Jesus. We are given the strength to do all things through Christ Jesus. The will of God becomes our goal. The saving of the souls of the lost becomes our passion. As with Paul, when on the road to Damascus, we fall to our knees in submission to the Lord. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do (Acts 9:6).

God shows that He does not spare the unrighteous. The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished (II Pet. 2:9). God created us to be His children, yet because of His love for us He gives us free will to choose who we serve.

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Peter 3:9).

Thought for Today:

One of the results of a person experiencing God's grace and forgiveness is that he has a grateful heart (Luke 7:47).
Christ Revealed:

Through the ark (Gen. 7:1,7; Acts 4:12; I Pet. 3:12,20). Christ is our ark of safety. Jesus . . . delivered us from the wrath to come (I Thess. 1:10).
Word Studies:

7:3 keep seed alive = preserve the species; 7:18 face = surface; 8:1 asswaged = subsided; 8:3 abated = diminished; 9:19 overspread = populated.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Country: Malaysia (22.7 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Malay and English • All Christian witness to Muslims is illegal • 58% Muslim; 23% Buddhist/Taoist/Chinese; 8% Christian; 6% Hindu; 5% Sikh/Animist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask, seek, and knock through prayer, knowing God promises to answer (Matt. 7:7-8).
Optional Reading:

Matthew 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Genesis 10 – 12

Highlights:

After the flood destroyed all of the human race except Noah's family, God introduces the Hebrew race beginning with Abram (Abraham). Read what the LORD had to say about tower of Babel (11:5-8).
Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee . . . . Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee (Gen. 12:1,13).

Abram had enough faith in God to go wherever God sent him, yet he became afraid of the Egyptians. This fear caused him to tell a half-truth. Sarai was Abram's half sister, but she was also his wife. A half-truth is still a lie none-the-less. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour (Ex. 20:16). Even a half-truth can lead us down the path of destruction and/or cause destruction to come upon others. We see it came upon Pharaoh and his household. Abram was treated well when Pharaoh thought Sarai was only Abram's sister. However, Pharaoh and his household suffered serious disease because of Abram's half-truth. When Pharaoh discovered the whole truth he ordered his men to send Abram and his wife Sarai out of Egypt.

We see later how Abram's example of sin is passed down to his son Isaac when Isaac shows a similar fear with the men of Gerar. And the men of the place asked him of his wife; and he said, She is my sister: for he feared to say, She is my wife; lest, said he, the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah; because she was fair to look upon (Gen. 26:7). Thus, we clearly see how one lie can affect the lives of those around us and those we love.

When you follow God's commandments, have faith that He will care for you and those around you. The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe (Prov. 29:25).

Throughout the Bible one finds many examples where fear led to sin: Adam and Eve hid from the Lord in shame after being deceived by the serpent (Satan); Cain lies to God about knowing where his brother Abel is after killing him; in fear of Jesus' captors, Peter denies knowing Christ three times before the cock crows.

In contrast, we are told: The wicked flee when no man pursueth; but the righteous are bold as a lion (Prov. 28:1). We see many examples where those who put their trust in the Lord overcame fear in the midst of adversity: David and Goliath; Peter addresses the crowd with confidence at Pentecost; Stephen rebukes the Jews and is stoned.

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep (Acts 7:59-60).

Thought for Today:

We must be on guard that we wholly follow the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

As the Promised Seed of Abraham (Gen. 12:3,7; compare Matthew 1:1; Acts 3:25-26; Gal. 3:16). Abraham was a type of Christ who leads the way to a far better promised land (John 14:2-4,6; Heb. 11:8-10). He took on Him the seed (offspring) of Abraham (Heb. 2:16).
Word Studies:

10:25 earth divided = people became separated; 11:3 Go to = Come; 12:7 seed = descendants; 12:10 sojourn = live temporarily; 12:16 had = gave him.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Country: Maldives (300,000) 400 miles southwest of Sri Lanka • Major languages: Divehi and English • Christian witnessing is banned • 99.9% Muslim; .1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord in times of trouble (Matt. 8:24-25).
Optional Reading:

Matthew 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk