Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read I Corinthians 10 – 13

Highlights:

Guidelines for worship; the Lord's Supper; spiritual gifts; love, the greatest gift.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity (I Cor.13:13).

The word charity translated in the King James means love, the predominant characteristic of a Christian. Jesus said By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:35). Love means so much to so many people. Chapter 13 of I Corinthians is often called the love chapter. It speaks of what true love should always be. If you desire a measure of the boundaries your love for someone or something has, insert your name every time you see or say love. We might say "Joe long suffering (I Cor. 13:4). No one knows whether this statement is true or not except maybe his wife. At one point, we are given another measure of love in the Word of God. Compare the love Christ has for us and the love we should have for each other. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13).

The Bible gives us several ways to show our love and challenges to test our love. We are told how to live in a lifestyle of love. Christ gave us the Two Commandments which would sum up all the other Commandments. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first Commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other Commandment greater than these (Mark 12:30-31).

Love is more precious than the combined abilities of eloquence, knowledge, or sacrificial giving. Love is a guideline for attitudes and acts by which a person can objectively check whether his service is motivated by self-recognition or by the love of Christ.

Love is not envious or jealous; it will not covet the rich for their possessions, or the great for their power. It is free from suspicion and evil imagination and is ready to forgive the inconsiderate actions of others, even if the offense is repeated seven times in a day (Luke 17:4). Love does not boast or puff itself up to look more important. Love does not insist on its rights, but rather prompts us to promote the welfare of others (I Cor. 10:24, 33) as well as returning good for evil (Rom. 12:20-21) because we realize our indebtedness to God (4:7).

We want more than just words or whimsical feelings. Let us pray that the love of God will shine though us. The darkness of sin and bondage cannot extinguish the supernatural fire of God's love.

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth (I John 3:18).

Thought for Today:

When we love the Lord with all our hearts, love for others will be a natural overflow.
Cross References:

For I Cor. 10:7: See Ex. 32:6. I Cor. 10:26: See Ps. 24:1.
Word Studies:

10:24 another's wealth, the well-being of others; 10:25 shambles, meat market; 11:11 man without the woman, man is not independent of woman; woman is essential to man; 11:13 comely, proper; 12:2 dumb, mute, without a voice; 12:11 severally, individually; 12:24 tempered, united, assembled, combined; 12:25 schism, division; 13:1 charity, love; 13:12 now we see through a glass, darkly, all we are capable of knowing now is partial and incomplete.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Officials: Gov. Jack Markell (DE) and Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (WV) • Country: Greenland (60,000) northeast of Canada • Major languages: Eskimo dialects and Danish • Religious freedom • 98% Protestant; .1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourself and reverence the Word of God; He will look upon you with affection (Is. 66:2).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 2:14
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Corinthians 14 – 16
Highlights:

Gifts in the church; the resurrection of Christ.
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:52,57).

It is a triumphant fact that Christ has risen from the dead! This is a guarantee that we, too, shall be raised even if we should die before the Lord returns to earth. When Christ died on the cross and was raised from the dead on the third day, He gained a victory over death. This victory is not only His, but praise the Lord it belongs to all who trust Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Death no longer has power over the believer. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? (15:55).

The day is coming when all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life (John 5:28-29). That will be the day when all that have believed in Christ rise victorious over death, hell and the grave. Christ did this so we could rise victoriously also. God intended for a man once to die (Heb. 9:27). Physical death is unavoidable. But for the Christian, physical death is nothing more than a transition into the presence of Christ, which is far better. When Christ returns, all Christians shall be changed like unto His glorious body, according to the working whereby He is able even to subdue all things unto Himself (Phil. 3:21; I Cor. 15:51-55). We will be transformed from death unto life and given a glorified body. Just like when we surrendered our lives to Christ, we were dead in the trespasses of our sins. However, the blood of Jesus' sacrifice of Himself gave us life.

Ultimately, it must be remembered that this victory over death applies only to those who have personally believed in and accepted Christ as their Saviour. That is the only way to eternal life. Without Jesus, we are still in the bondage of sin. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the Law (I Cor. 15:56). Unless we receive forgiveness, our sin is the ticket to death. It was Adam's when he sinned and therefore our ticket to physical death. It is all mankind's ticket to spiritual death. At the great white throne, all who have rejected Christ will be judged and condemned to an eternal hell. We need the grace of Christ to offer us the free pardon from sin's great prison, hell. The only escape is through Jesus. Trust Him, receive Life.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him (John 3:36).

Thought for Today:

Because Christ died, we can live for all eternity with Him. What a blessed hope!
Cross References:

For I Cor. 14:21: See Is. 28:11-12. I Cor. 15:3-4: See Hos. 6:2. I Cor. 15:25: See Ps. 110:1. I Cor. 15:27: See Ps. 8:6. I Cor. 15:32: See Is. 22:13. I Cor. 15:45: See Gen. 2:7. I Cor. 15:54: See Is. 25:8. I Cor. 15:55: See Hos. 13:14.
Word Studies:

14:10 signification, meaning; 14:11 barbarian, foreigner; 14:20 in malice be ye children, in doing evil, be as harmless as a baby; 14:27 by course, in turn; 15:9 meet, worthy, fit; 15:20 slept, have died; 15:33 evil communications corrupt good manners, evil companions or associations ruin or defile good character; 15:40 celestial, heavenly; terrestrial, earthly; 16:2 gatherings, collections; 16:13 stand fast in the faith, remain true to the Lord; quit you, act, be courageous; 16:15 addicted, devoted; 16:22 Anathema, Accursed; Maranatha, Our Lord is coming!
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Chris Robison • Government Officials: Rep. Paul Gosar (AK) and Rep. John Runyan (NJ) • Country: Grenada (97,000) southernmost of the Windward Islands • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 61% Roman Catholic; 31% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Seek God in prayer with your whole heart and He will hear you (Jer. 29:12-13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Corinthians 1 – 4
Highlights:

Forgiving those who have repented of sin; Lordship of Christ; suffering of Christians.
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God (II Cor. 1:4).

Tribulation in one form or another is a necessary part of the Christian life (Acts 14:22; I Peter 1:6, 7; 4:12-13). Christ was always conscious of His purpose for coming to earth, to die on the cross for the sins of the world. And, just as it was necessary for Him to die, we too, must be willing partakers of His sufferings. Jesus told His disciples If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you. . . . if they have persecuted Me, they will also persecute you (John 15:18-20). Just like many that have gone on before us, the believers in today's times can expect to face their own persecutions. Jesus warned His followers, and today throughout the world, we have brothers and sisters in Christ that are suffering as much persecution or more than many of the early Christians.

There are many nations today that treat believers no better than they were treated by Rome in the days of the early Church. It is believed that there have been more believers martyred for the cause of Christ in the last hundred years than in the first few centuries of the early church combined. Even in many nations considered friendly to Christianity, restrictions are being placed on believers. Laws are being written in many of these nations to silence the Truth. It is no wonder we are warned of our coming troubles. However we should not consider it all bad news. These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (John 16:33).

We can face trials and sufferings with assurance that our Lord has said I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb.13:5). God imparts an inner comfort that only He can give. This comfort of the Holy Spirit has a twofold effect. Not only are our burdens lifted, but we become qualified to comfort others by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. As we come to an assurance that God is our deliverer, we must share the Good News with others. We need to become encouragers. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing and His Kingdom; Preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry (II Tim. 4:1-2,5).

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy (I Peter 4:13).

Thought for Today:

God's comfort to us enables us to comfort others.
Cross References:

For II Cor. 3:13: See Ex. 34:33-35. II Cor. 4:13: See Ps. 116:10.
Word Studies:

2:5 not overcharge, not overstate the case or be too severe; 2:9 know the proof of you, test your loyalty; 2:14 savour, satisfaction, sweetness, like a lovely fragrance; 3:10 even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth, what was glorious (Law given to Moses) has no glory in comparison to the surpassing glory of Jesus Christ; 4:15 redound, abound, overflow, result in abundance.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Sec'y. Eric Shinseki (Dept. of Veterans Affairs) and Sen. Michael Bennet (CO) • Country: Guatemala (12.3 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian languages • Religious freedom • 60% Catholic; 35% Protestant; 2% Animist; 1.5% Other; 1.5% None • Prayer Suggestion: Know that the Lord is loving and merciful to His children (Jer. 31:9).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Corinthians 5 – 8
Highlights:

Ministry of reconciliation; appeal for separation from unbelievers; suffering of Paul; the grace of giving.
For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart (II Cor. 5:12).

Although the church at Corinth was known for its many outstanding teachers, spiritual gifts, and talents, it seems they were also known for their debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings (II Cor. 12:20). Many of the Corinthian Christians seemed satisfied with outward performance, but unconcerned about true spiritual growth. Many churches today have fallen into this same pattern. Their unacceptable contribution to the Kingdom of God is in the great cathedrals they have built. It is in their great numbers, their professional choirs and their huge bank accounts.

This is not to say all large churches are like this. Many still hold true to the challenges Christ and Paul gave to the Church. However, many have chosen the ways and doctrines that are an abomination to God. They have lost their way just like Laodicea. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of My mouth (Rev. 3:16).

Often a Christian begins serving the Lord with a right motive. But as God blesses his effort, he is tempted to become proud over his achievements. If his motive for serving God becomes one of self-recognition, he loses his usefulness to God. He becomes so full of self that he loses sight of God. Often they begin to be more concerned with the rules of the church or denomination more so than the guidelines for life set forth by the Bible. They begin to be bound in legalism and traditionalism. Many times these people will become very judgmental of those who don't live by their rules and practices. The spirit of the pharisee is alive in them. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican (Luke 18:11).

As we read the Scriptures for the purpose of letting Christ help us overcome whatever is of self, He will enable and strengthen us to glorify the Father even as He did. We must remember that no matter how far we fall that we are never outside of grace's reach. Just as Christ is waiting on the drunkard, the thief and the prostitute, He is waiting on the proud, the religious and the legalistic.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God (II Cor. 7:1).

Thought for Today:

Count it joy when you suffer for righteousness.
Cross References:

For II Cor. 9:9: See Ps. 112:9. II Cor. 10:17: See Jer. 9:24. II Cor. 13:1: See Deut. 19:15.
Word Studies:

9:2 forwardness, readiness; 9:5 bounty, gift; 9:7 of necessity, under compulsion; 9:13 experiment, experience, proof, evidence; 10:13 without, beyond; 11:2 espoused, betrothed, engaged; 11:3 beguiled, deceived, seduced; simplicity, sincere faithfulness; 11:5 a whit behind, at all inferior to; 11:6 rude in speech, unskilled as an orator; 12:7 buffet, discipline; 12:17 make a gain of you, take advantage of or exploit you; 12:20 swellings, pride; self-assertion; 12:21 lasciviousness, lustfulness; 13:6 reprobates, rejected, not genuine Christians.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored Joe & Betty Crawford • Government Officials: Sen. Richard Burr (NC), Rep. Jim McGovern (MA), and Rep.-at-Large Kristi Noem (SD) • Country: Guinea-Bissau (1 million) on the western coast of Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Criolo • Religious freedom • 51% animist; 42% Muslim; 6% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Call unto the Lord and He will give you strength to overcome (Jer. 33:3).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Corinthians 9 – 13
Highlights:

Offering for Jerusalem church, warning against false teachers; Paul's thorn in the flesh.
For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth (II Cor. 10:18).

It is natural to want to be accepted and liked by friends and associates. Many people attempt to achieve this acceptance by the clothes they wear, the automobile they drive, or other status symbols, such as being a member of an exclusive club. This is a great trap that many in today's society fall into. You and I are created by an Almighty God. He knows all things. He made us in His likeness. To allow the pressure of desiring acceptance to change us is a subtle spiritual trap. If you need a role model, Jesus is there. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:21).

Christians are sometimes guilty of seeking recognition through teaching or other displays of their abilities to serve the Lord. Even public prayer can be offered to impress people. We don't need to impress people in our service to God. This makes all we do for Him in vain. We should be doing it for God's glory. That should be our goal. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 5:16).

Sometimes the self-righteous attempt to build their spiritual image by downgrading the motives and actions of another. In reality, they are seeking the praise for themselves. By seeking the praise of men, many forfeit the Lord's approval, the only approval that really matters. Jesus said How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? (John 5:44). Everything depends upon motives that are hidden away from human view. Always remember, God is the searcher of hearts. He knows our motives for all things. He knows when they are godly and when we seek to fulfill our flesh. God will reveal our motives. We need to humble ourselves before Him and seek to fulfill His will for our lives and not our own. But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

The person whom the Lord commends is the one who realizes that all self-honor is vain and worthless. He sincerely and humbly wants Christ alone to receive all the honor and praise. He uses every chance he gets to lift up the name of the Lord. He seeks no praise for himself. When it is given, he does his best to redirect it towards Jesus.

But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (II Cor. 10:17).

Thought for Today:

Our willingness to give reveals the condition of our hearts.
Cross References:

For II Cor. 6:2: See Is. 49:8. II Cor. 6:16: See Lev. 26:11-12; Ezek. 37:27. II Cor. 6:17: See Is. 52:11. II Cor. 8:15: See Ex. 16:18.
Word Studies:

5:5 wrought, prepared; 5:13 beside ourselves, insane; sober, of sound mind; 6:5 In stripes, Having been beaten; tumults, riots; 6:6 unfeigned, genuine; 6:12 Ye are not straitened in us, our love toward you is not restrained; bowels, emotions; 6:13 for a recompence in the same,  in return for our love; be ye also enlarged, open your hearts to us; 7:9 that ye might receive damage by us in nothing, that you not be offended in what we did or did not say; 7:10 carefulness, diligence, seriousness; 8:1 we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on, we want you to know what the grace of God has accomplished in; 8:4 Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, urging us insistently to allow them the privilege of meeting our needs; 8:7 abound, excel; 8:8 forwardness, earnestness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Becca Lucio • International Broadcasts • Government Officials: Sec'y. Janet Napolitano (Dept. of Homeland Security) and Rep. Jean Schmidt (OH) • Country: Guinea (8 million) on the Atlantic coast of western Africa • Major languages: French and tribal languages • Freedom for nationals, but strict limitations on missionaries • 83% Muslim; 12% tribal religions; 4% Roman Catholic; .6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Express your gratitude for the loving-kindness of God (Jer. 32:17-18).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Galatians 1 – 3

Highlights:

Only one Gospel; justification by faith, not the Law; the Law, our school master.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed . . . let him be accursed (Gal. 1:8-9).

Although Jesus' sacrifice brought salvation through grace, some of the Jewish converts to Christ believed that the Law of Moses was still in effect. They acknowledged Jesus as being the Messiah but still believed that obedience to the Law was essential to salvation. This was forcing believers to live in bondage to something that had no weight when it came to matters of eternity. These Jewish converts were putting a great burden on the Gentile converts who felt forced to try to learn a whole set of laws that were useless to them. They could have spent this time growing closer to and learning how to truly serve Christ. It is just as wrong to place religious customs above true service to God as it is to place our worldly habits above service to Him. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb. 9:14).

The book of Galatians is an appeal to abandon all forms of legalism and enjoy liberty in Christ. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the Law: for by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified (Gal. 2:16). We must come to the understanding that since we are unable to live up to the standards of the Law, it will always bring condemnation to us. That is why we must place our trust in Jesus. Through the work of Christ on the cross, we are set free from this bondage of legalism. The Law was fulfilled through Jesus. His righteousness is made available to us to provide what we truly lack. Our unrighteousness separates us from God. Praise the Lord that Christ has given us this great gift of His righteouness. Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (II Pet. 1:1).

The destiny of lost humanity depends on accepting the true Gospel of Christ (Gal. 1:7). There is no substitute. Our only hope of being delivered from this present evil world (1:4) is to become a new creature in Christ (6:15).

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Gal. 3:27).

Thought for the Day: Only as we know God's Word can we recognize the difference between error and truth.

Cross References:

For Gal. 3:6: See Gen. 15:6. Gal. 3:8: See Gen. 12: 3; 22:18. Gal. 3:10: See Deut. 27:26. Gal. 3:11: See Hab. 2:4. Gal. 3:12: See Lev. 18:5. Gal. 3:13: See Deut. 21:23.
Word Studies:

1:13 conversation, daily behavior, attitude of life; 2:13 dissimulation, insincerity, hypocrisy, and pretense.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for: Bible Pathway Ministries • Pray for our Military Worldwide • Government Officials: Gov. Richard Scott (FL) and Rep. Gary Peters (MI) • Country: Guyana (705,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: English and Amerindian dialects • The government is becoming increasingly Marxist, radical, and atheistic • 36% Hindu; 28% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 9% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pour out your heart in prayer to the Lord for your children (Lam. 2:19).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Galatians 4 – 6
Highlights:

Comparison of Hagar (representing flesh) and Sarah (representing the spirit); liberty of the Gospel; fruit of the Spirit.
But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world (Gal. 6:14).

The cross distinguishes Christianity from all other religions of the world. It is recognized worldwide as one of the great symbols of Christianity. However, it is not the image of the cross that sets Christianity apart. If we worship the empty cross, that in itself would be sin as it would turn the cross into a graven image. The cross represents the great message of forgiveness which is the Christian message. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).

Before the crucifixion of Jesus, the cross represented punishment and death for wickedness. Jesus has forever changed this image. After the sinless Son of God was crucified for the sins of mankind, the cross became a symbol of divine life. The cross once struck fear into the hearts of mankind. However, it now brings a whole new set of emotions. Hope, forgiveness, and love are the things felt by many when they see the cross. Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God (Heb. 12:2). Jesus with His great victory on the cross made a way for us to have eternal life. He made a way for us to escape the bonds of sin and its ultimate punishment. I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and death (Rev. 1:18).

For the Christian, the way of the cross means daily dying to the self-life and following the Master. We are to crucify the flesh, so as to kill it little by little. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin (Rom. 6:6).

Those who avoid the cross experience miss life's greatest satisfaction. Christ has great things for the life of each and every believer. He has a specific purpose that is specially selected for each of our lives. However, we must make a decision. Do we want the best God has for us or will we settle for less? Just as Christ did, we have a cross to carry. It is not made of wood but life. Sometimes it will be hard. It will seem that we can't carry the load. Other times it will be a great blessing to be shouldering this cross. Just remember, whether it is difficult or easy, Christ is right there with us.

If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me (Matt. 16:24).

Thought for the Day: God's grace can enable us to go through affliction in a way that will bring glory to Him.

Cross References:

For Gal. 4:27: See Is. 54:1. Gal. 4:30: See Gen. 21:10. Gal. 5:14: See Lev. 19:18.
Word Studies:

4:4 made under the Law, born of a woman as a subject to the Law; 4:6 Abba, Aramaic word for Father; 4:12 injured, wronged, taken advantage of; 4:24 gendereth to, leads to; 4:25 answereth, corresponds; 5:19 uncleanness, immoral conduct; lasciviousness, immodesty, vulgarity, unrestrained lust; 5:20 variance, contentious temper, strife; emulations, jealousy, rivalry; seditions, dissensions, divisions; 6:6 communicate unto, share in the financial needs of; 6:12 constrain, compel.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Harry Reid (NV) • Country: Haiti (7 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: French and Creole • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 17% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and mercy (Lam. 3:22-23).
Memory Verse for the Week: Isaiah 7:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ephesians 1 – 3
Highlights:

Spiritual blessings we have in Christ; prayers of Paul; unity of believers; Paul's mission to the Gentiles.
For through Him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father (Eph. 2:18).

During Old Testament times, God provided a way through the high priest for His people to offer acceptable prayer to Him. Only the high priest was able to enter into the presence of God. The people had to bring sacrifices to be offered up to God by the high priest. In turn, the high priest would offer up their sacrifice to God and pray for the forgiveness of their sins. God used the high priest as a type of Christ, as an intercessor between God and man. And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments (Lev. 16:32).

Israel was God's chosen nation, therefore His Covenant with mankind was upon them. The Gentiles had absolutely no covenant agreement with God. But today, because of the atoning death of Christ, Jews and Gentiles alike who have accepted Christ as Savior have this wonderful privilege. We are much better off living under the New Covenant through God's son, Jesus, whereby God has now made a way for man to be heard.

God calls His people to set aside time to pray. Satan does not want us to pray and he continually seeks to destroy the spirit of prayer in every possible way. The enemy wants to attack our prayer life so we will not spend this much needed time with God. Once these communication lines are opened, then the Holy Spirit through the heavenly hotline (that is prayer), can strengthen us, encourage us and enlighten us for the purpose of fulfilling God's will. Prayer is a powerful thing for the believer. Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of His goodness, and the work of faith with power (II Thes. 1:11).

This sacred privilege is also a great responsibility. Failure to pray is more serious than mere negligence. We need to commit ourselves to a lifestyle of prayer. It is a great shame to waste something so powerful that God has made available to us. Prayer is a great weapon given to us by God. When the people of God pray, He hears them.

And when He putteth fourth His own sheep, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him; for they know His voice (John 10:4).

Thought for the Day: The Christian cannot conquer evil without prayer.

Cross References:

For Eph. 1:22: See Ps. 8:6. Eph. 2:17: See Is. 57:19.
Word Studies:

1:8 prudence, spiritual insight, knowledge, and holy love of the will of God; 1:10 dispensation of the fulness of times, last period of the dealings of God with mankind on earth; 1:13 sealed, proof of ownership that we belong to the Family of God; 1:14 earnest, first installment of our inheritance; 2:1 quickened, made alive; 2:13 sometimes, formerly (not "occasionally"); 3:3 mystery, purpose of God which is hidden from the ungodly; 3:13 faint not, don't give up or be discouraged.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mrs Helen A Porter • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Jim Renacci (OH) and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX) • Country: Honduras (6 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 86% Roman Catholic; 10% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your heart to God in prayer (Lam. 3:41).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ephesians 4 – 6
Highlights:

Exhortations to unity, holiness, love; marriage symbolic of the Church; duties of children and servants.
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord . . . Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God (Eph. 5:19, 21).

Within the heart of every believer is joyfulness and a deep sense of thanksgiving. Since the love of Christ indwells in every Christian, the life of each member of the family of God should reflect His Spirit. Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God (I John 4:7). It is amazing that when we are born again, we gain a whole new family instantly. This is the family of God. We are all brothers and sisters through the life-giving miracle that Jesus performed in our lives. For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named (Eph. 3:14-15).

Jesus' love is the tremendous unifying power. Our self-seeking, independent spirit must submit to the gentle and gracious Spirit of Christ. If we do not, we will never experience true satisfaction in our walk with Christ. When we try to go our own way, it will always lead us away from Christ. The Lord will bring us together and unite us with a common vision if we allow Him to do His will. That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular (I Col. 12:25-27). As the Word of God states in these verses, we should allow no devices to come in and divide us. We must work to help those around us stay strong in Christ.

The submission and respect we have for God will be manifested as we submit ourselves. Christ set a great example for us and instructed us about the way we should treat those around us. He did this by explaining the great commandments. And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices (Mark 12:33). Jesus clearly lets us know that we should love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Who is our neighbor? All are our neighbors. Some would argue this includes both children of God and the lost. It does. We must treat the sinner like we want them to be part of the family of God. If we don't treat them well, we will find they may never come to Christ.

But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in Him? (I John 3:17).

Thought for the Day: Those who give to others for Christ's sake will never lack for blessing.

Cross References:

For Eph. 4:8: See Ps. 68:18. Eph. 4:25: See Zech. 8:16. Eph. 4:26: See Ps. 4:4. Eph. 5:31: See Gen. 2:24. Eph. 6:2-3: See Ex. 20:12; Deut. 5:16.
Word Studies:

4:13 perfect (does not mean perfection), sincerely desiring to be obedient to His Word; 4:14 carried about . . . by the sleight, led astray by false doctrine; 4:16 compacted, knit together in true unity; 4:18 blindness, hardening of their heart with no regard to repent of their sins or see the need to be saved; 4:22 former conversation, old sinful way of living; 5:18 filled with, controlled by; 5:26 sanctify, set apart to serve the Lord; 6:5 in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ, with no ulterior motive but to sincerely desire to please Christ; 6:11 wiles, deception; 6:14 having your loins girt about with truth, continuing to read the Word of God in order to be familiar with the will of God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Official: Rep. Grace Napolitano (CA) • Country: Hong Kong (7 million) in eastern Asia • Major languages: Chinese and English • Limited religious freedom • 90% Chinese religions; 10% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for godly discernment to know His will (Ezek. 44:23).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Philippians 1 – 4
Highlights:

Exhortations of humility, steadfastness; Christ's humiliation and exaltation; Christ, our strength and provider.
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the Spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh . . . If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more (Phil. 3:3-4).

The flesh is the term by which Scripture refers to our human nature that is not subject to the indwelling Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:7), for the flesh lusteth against the Spirit (Gal. 5:17). Satan knows that the effort and energy of the natural man can never please God, conquer sin, or transform lives. The self-effort of the flesh is still the great enemy that continually hinders and quenches the Spirit. Much unsuccessful effort can be traced to this one failure. We can try and try with everything within us and we will never overcome the enemy. We are incapable within ourselves. We have a flesh that desires to sin. Our own righteousness will not stand up to the attack of the devil. But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away (Is. 64:6).

Reliance upon our own physical abilities becomes obvious when we allow our human efforts to take priority over daily prayer, Bible reading, and waiting in faith for God's direction. The enemy has always used our physical and emotional needs to find weaknesses within ourselves. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world (I John 2:16). This is the way Satan attacked Jesus when He was fasting in the desert. The devil first reminded Jesus how hungry He must be. In this, he used the lust of the flesh, as His flesh desired food. Secondly, he showed Jesus all the worldly cities. This used the lust of the eyes. Finally, he tried to get Jesus to throw Himself off the top of the temple. He even used Scripture that said the angels would rescue Him. This attack was using the pride of life. Did Jesus fall to the enemy? No! Why? He countered Satan with Scripture every time. We must be ready to do the same. In our flesh we are no match. Our hope is in God and His Word. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world (I John 4:4).

Remember that we have a host of Scripture at our disposal to combat the enemy. God gave us this great weapon to use in our daily Spiritual warfare. Ask the Lord to help you in all that you endeavour to accomplish. Ask Him to reveal from the Word of God things that will help you in your daily walk.

We are to allow the Holy Spirit to reign in our lives. When we choose to live by our own rules, we set ourselves up for great loss. Let's be like Paul who declared: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me (Phil. 4:13).

Thought for the Day: Sure disaster awaits the Christian who feels so strong that he does not need the Lord's help.

Cross References:

For Phil. 2:7: See Is. 42:1.
Word Studies:

1:7 meet, right; 1:8 my record, my witness; bowels, affections; 1:14 waxing confident, gaining confidence; 1:22 wot, know; 1:23 in a strait betwixt two, hard pressed between the two; 1:28 an evident token of perdition, evidence of impending destruction; 2:3 vainglory, boasting, empty conceit; 2:22 the proof of him, his trials have proven his sincerity; 3:1 not grievous, I never get tired of telling you; 3:2 dogs, Judaizers, antagonists, legalists; 3:20 conversation, citizenship; 4:6 Be careful for nothing, Don't be anxious; don't worry; 4:14 communicate with, express your concern, share; 4:18 I have all, I am fully satisfied; 4:22 chiefly, especially.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio: sponsored by Mr & Mrs John E Schatz Jr. • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing: • Government Official: Rep. Rodney Alexander (LA) • Country: Hungary (10.1 million) in east-central Europe • Major language: Hungarian • New freedom has opened the door to evangelism and Bible distribution • 61.7% Roman Catholic; 24.4% Protestant; 12.5% non-Religious/Other; .8% Jewish; .3% Orthodox; .2% Marginal; .1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray daily to your Father in heaven (Dan. 6:10).

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk