Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Acts 14 – 16
Highlights:

Stoning of Paul at Lystra; Paul's second missionary journey with Silas; Paul's Macedonian vision; conversion of the Philippian jailer.
And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus; And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God (Acts 15:39-40).

Mark had left the ministry and returned home during the first missionary journey of Paul and Barnabas. On the second missionary journey, Barnabas determined to take Mark (15:37), his cousin, with them, but Paul did not believe it was God's Will.

Barnabas sharply disagreed with Paul's position and returned with Mark to his former home on the island of Cyprus (4:36-37, compare 15:39). Paul then chose Silas to be his associate. It may seem difficult at times to separate from those with whom we are close. However, we must remember we are in service to our Lord. Even though they may be close friends or even family, that does not mean their discernment is God's will at this time. We can't let that be a hinderance to our ministry. God still has a work to be done. To accomplish His Will, God will sometimes take his servants in opposite directions. God is the great orchestrator of people and events. Love God enough to follow Him. He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me (Matt. 10:37).

In defending his cousin, Barnabas attempted to overrule the God-ordained leadership of Paul. He let personal feelings keep him from fulfilling his original calling as an associate of the Apostle Paul in the ministry of the Gospel (Acts 13:2).

After this event, Paul was the one who was recommended by the brethren, but we have no record of God's blessing upon the ministry of Barnabas. We will find very quickly that being in God's Will is what makes us worthy to build His Kingdom. God can't use those who follow their own path rather than Him. Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me (Matt. 19:21).

Many today are no longer being used by God because their personal feelings were hurt and they quit because they disagree with some insignificant decision of God's appointed leader. Often we miss God's best for our lives because we make our own decisions without first consulting the Holy Spirit. Nothing can surpass the joy of being in the center of God's perfect will.

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be castaway (1 Cor. 9:27).

Thought for Today:

Do not live by thought or by your feelings, but by faith in God's Word.
Cross Reference:

For Acts 15:16-17: See Amos 9:11-12.
Word Studies:

14:2 made their minds evil affected, influenced them to be hostile; 14:8 impotent, weak, helpless, crippled; 15:10 yoke, burden.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Country: Estonia (1.47 million) northeastern Europe • Major languages: Estonian and Russian • Religious freedom • 38.4% Protestant; 20.3% Orthodox; 1% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim; .3% Jewish; 39% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Cry and pour out your soul in prayer in time of affliction (Is. 26:16).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 2:12
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 17 – 19
Highlights:

Jewish opposition: Paul's sermon from Mars' Hill; Paul at Corinth; uproar of the silversmiths at Ephesus.
After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; And found a certain Jew named Aquila . . . . with his wife Priscilla . . . . And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers (Acts 18:1-3).

Aquila and Priscilla faced unjust humiliation when they were forced from Rome because of their Jewish nationality. They relocated their business in Corinth, where they became dedicated to Christ through the ministry of Paul. It is strange at times how the Lord directs our ways to get us to the place He needs us to be so we can be of greatest service to Him. Aquila and Priscilla were in Rome, but God needed them to meet Paul and through Him come into God's family and service. For this to happen, they had to move. God will direct our steps. This does not always happen the same way for any two people. The way Jesus followed God was not always easy, but it got Him to where He was destined to be. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps (I Pet. 2:21).

Priscilla and Aquila gave up their business in Corinth to assist the Apostle Paul in his journeys (Acts 18:18). Later, they returned to Rome, where they laid down their own necks, ready to risk it all for Christ when they opened their house as a place of worship in a hostile country (Rom. 1:7, 16:3).

The ministry of the early church was effective because of ordinary workers like Priscilla and Aquila who were willing to serve in any capacity necessary to help the men God had called to teach and preach His Word. Many want to serve God. To serve, you will do the will of your Master. Jesus is that Master. The Bible says: For as the body is one, and hath many members . . . so also is Christ . . . the foot . . . the hand . . . the ear . . . the eye (I Cor. 12:12-16). As believers, we are all members of the Church and the Lord uses everyone to fulfill His will to further His Kingdom. Some may be apostles . . . teachers (I Cor. 12:28), others may simply help with child care, greet visitors, or even help park cars, all working together. When we move as the will of God directs, we will be like Aquila and Priscilla. We will make a difference in God's Kingdom. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the Living God? (Heb. 9:14).

God always arranges circumstances to bring us into a better understanding of Himself.

For we are labourers together with God (1 Cor. 3:9).

Thought for Today:

God often allows disappointments in order to cause us to search His Word for His perfect will.
Cross Reference:

For Acts 17:31: See Ps. 96:13; 98:9.
Word Studies:

17:19 Areopagus, the Athenian council which met on Mars' Hill; 17:29 Godhead, the Trinity — God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Beth Carlton • Country: Country: Ethiopia (60 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Amharic and Tigrinya • Unsettled after overthrow of communist regime • 41% Eastern Orthodox; 35% Muslim; 10% Protestant; 10% animist; .7% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and praise God that the answers to your prayers are granted through the grace of God (Is. 30:19).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 20 – 22
Highlights:

Paul's visit to Macedonia and Greece; Paul seized in the Temple at Jerusalem.
And when he (Paul) would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done (Acts 21:14).

Paul was in Caesarea on his way to Jerusalem when the prophet Agabus foretold that Paul would be arrested by the Jews and imprisoned by the Romans. His friends pleaded with him not to proceed to Jerusalem. When they failed to persuade him not to go on, they answered, The will of the Lord be done.

It is not God's will for anyone to hate or persecute us, but if they do, we can rest assured that God permitted it, and that every trial can be a means of accomplishing His will in us. We must not always assume the worst. God uses many resources to direct our lives. This includes trials and tribulations. Everything that happens to us in life helps direct our decision making. This means the good things and the bad things. Families will fall apart. People will fall into depression. This may happen as a result of these trials. Remember, we are never outside the reach of God. He may be sending us down a rocky road that is hard to travel. However, it may lead to the greatest blessing of our lives. That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ (I Pet. 1:7).

As we accept this, we can forgive and turn our attention away from the person who caused our difficulty and let others see the love of Christ through us. As people see that we continue to love during our difficult times, it will reveal Christ to them in a special way. Especially if the people being loved have contributed to the difficult times in our lives. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matt. 5:44).

Whether the trial came because of hatred by an enemy or the disloyalty of a friend, through fault or no fault of our own, our difficulty should bring us to a closer relationship with the Lord. Knowing this, we can give ourselves wholeheartedly to His will with the assurance that He who placed us here can also bring us out of our troubles. Therefore, stand in your time of trouble with confidence. Jesus has proven Himself to be faithful and will do what He says.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who . . . made Himself of no reputation . . . humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross (Phil. 2:5-8).

Thought for Today:

Our "peace" with God is determined by our "trust" in Him.
Word Studies:

20:12 not a little, greatly; 21:15 took up our carriages, packed our baggage; 21:24 be at charges with them, pay their expenses.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Carl E Miller • Country: Fiji (813,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Fijian • Religious freedom • 41% Hindu; 40% Protestant; 9% Roman Catholic; 8% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Give praise to God that His Word will stand forever (Is. 40:8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 23 – 25

Highlights:

Paul before the Sanhedrin; sent to Felix; before Festus; his appeal to Caesar.
But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the prophets (Acts 24:14).

The jury for Paul's trial was composed of three rulers. As Paul faithfully testified to them of how Jesus fulfilled all the scriptures as Messiah, Felix, the governor, trembled; Festus hesitated, then resisted; King Agrippa was almost persuaded. All were brought to a point of decision, but none accepted Christ as their Savior. Little did they realize that it was not Paul, but themselves, who were on trial before the court of heaven. They had no idea that as they were pronouncing judgment upon Paul that it was their case being pleaded. In a way, Paul was their defense attorney. He was trying to get them to plead guilty and accept the mercy of the court of God. Jesus was waiting with their pardon. However, they didn't receive it. Not because it was not offered, but because they rejected it. Could you imagine rejecting forgiveness and accepting a death sentence? It happens every minute of every day. How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us (Heb. 2:3).

Each man had a different response. One was overwhelmed. Another held back. The last one decided to wait. However, they all made the same choice to reject Christ. And every decision has consequences. If you were on a plane that was crashing and they began handing out parachutes for jumping off, would deciding to wait be a decision with consequences? I believe the answer is yes. The time to choose is now. For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation (II Cor. 6:2).

It has often been said that it does not make any difference what one believes as long as he is sincere. But that statement is very misleading because our eternal destiny depends upon what we believe. God has provided the only way of salvation. Jesus Christ, God's Son, took the death sentence for our sins. Neither is there salvation in any other (Acts 4:12). By praying and asking God to forgive your sins because Jesus already died for you, you will be born again into God's eternal family. Believe in Jesus and His work on the cross that was done for you and for me!

And every man that hath this hope in Him purifieth himself, even as He is pure (1 John 3:3).

Thought for Today:

Each person must decide for himself either to accept Christ as Savior, or to reject Him; He cannot be ignored.
Cross Reference:

For Acts 23:5: See Ex. 22:28.
Word Studies:

23:3 whited wall, whitewashed wall, meaning hypocrite (see Matt. 23:27); 23:23 third hour of the night, 9 p.m.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. John Boehner (Speaker of the House), Sen. James Inhofe (OK), Sen. Pat Toomey (PA), and Gov. Terry Branstad (IA) • Country: Finland (5.2 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Finnish and Swedish • Religious freedom • 86% Lutheran; 1% Orthodox; 12% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Wait upon the LORD and He will renew your strength (Is. 40:31).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Acts 26 – 28
Highlights:

Paul's defence before Agrippa; Paul's voyage to Rome; storm at the sea: shipwreck at Melita; Paul at Rome.
All hope that we should be saved was then taken away (Acts 27:20).

Paul had been imprisoned in Caesarea for two years. Festus, the new governor of Judea, placed Paul in the custody of a centurion soldier who was to take him to Rome to stand trial. Little did any of those involved realize that God had a purpose and plan ahead for this trip. Even in prison, Paul was still God's chosen vessel. Though his life might be getting closer to the end, God was not finished with Paul. He was about to do another great work.

Though Paul was not elderly, he knew his time was drawing near. Often when we get older, we feel we might be of less use to God. However, even in old age, God continues to use those available to Him. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren (Luke 1:36).

Shortly after their departure on a cargo ship, a storm caused their ship to eventually sink. During that fearful ordeal, Paul stated, All hope that we should be saved was then taken away. But God had placed the Apostle Paul on that particular ship to accomplish His divine purpose. God used a storm and a shipwreck for an unplanned Gospel crusade where many turned to the Lord. God will oftentimes use the strangest of circumstances to do His greatest works. None of these events were outside of God's control. It is He who made the sea. Therefore, it should be no surprise that He would have control over it. Actually God was in complete control of the entire situation and had a plan. Paul was to lead this revival. God would ensure his safety during this ordeal. And the soldiers' counsel was to kill the prisoners, lest any of them should swim out, and escape. But the centurion, willing to save Paul, kept them from their purpose; and commanded that they which could swim should cast themselves first into the sea, and get to land (Acts 27:42-43).

One of our greatest blessings in being a Christian is the assurance that, although life's voyages may be stormy, there will be a day that the tempest we have weathered will be insignificant compared to what God was able to accomplish because of it. So, as the troubles of life mount in front of you, have hope. You never know what great thing God is about to make happen in the middle of this storm in your life.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong (II Cor. 12:10).

Thought for Today:

Quietness and confidence in the midst of trial is the result of faith.
Cross Reference:

For Acts 28:26-27: See Is. 6:9-10.
Word Studies:

26:5 most straitest, most exact, strictest; 26:7 instantly, earnestly; 27:7 under, close to, on the side sheltered from wind; 27:12 commodious, suitable; 27:30 under colour, under pretense; 28:2 barbarous people, foreigners who don't speak your language well; 28:13 fetched a compass, circled around; 28:16 suffered, permitted.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Tom Reed (NY) • Country: France (59.1 million) in western Europe • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 7% Islam; 1.22% Protestant; 1.18% Jewish; 1% Buddhist; .2% Orthodox; .2% Eastern Catholic; .2% Jehovah's Witness; 9% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and depend upon the Lord when in need for He will not forsake you (Is. 41:17).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 2:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Romans 1 – 3
Highlights:

Wrath of God revealed against sin; both Jews and gentiles under condemnation.
Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? (Rom. 2:21).

One of the greatest dangers facing Christians is the temptation to teach God's Word without applying it to their own life. This happens for different reasons. Some teach simply for the gaining of more and more knowledge. You might be amazed at the number of theology professors in colleges who are not even believers. Some are even atheists. Many would say too much education can never be bad. However, if a man thinks of himself too highly, he can become corrupted. For thou hast trusted in thy wickedness: thou hast said, None seeth me. Thy wisdom and thy knowledge, it hath perverted thee; and thou hast said in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me (Is. 47:10).

To study Scripture merely for the sake of gaining knowledge, without obeying what is read, is a great self-deception. Teaching God's Word to others without personally seeking to please Him may allow us to appear spiritual towards others, but our hearts will become hardened in disobedience. Futhermore, this kind of teaching can only result in mere human understanding because His Word remains powerless in our own life. We must remember the Word of God is not some mere textbook. It was not written to simply educate. It is not even a rule book set up with guidelines to a better life. The Bible is both those things and much more. However, that is only a tiny part of what it is. You will hear it said often here that the words of the Bible are alive. If we allow them to, they will speak personally to us and transform our minds, hearts and lives. As His Words penetrate our innermost being, we will truly become available to God. We will be Kingdom builders. It will all be because we allowed God's Word to work in us. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

The human mind is a great thing. It was created by God. It has vast capabilities. However, the mind alone without spiritual discernment has little chance of truly gaining an understanding of the Word of God. We need the wisdom of God. As we pray and read God's Word, the Holy Spirit will reveal His Truth.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God . . . neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (I Cor. 2:14).

Thought for Today:

Unless his heart is right, a man's reasoning will always misguide him — regardless of how much he may know.
Word Studies:

1:13 let hitherto, prevented; 1:21 vain, morally misguided, empty, worthless; 1:29 debate, strife; malignity, depravity of heart; whisperers, gossipers; 2:22 commit sacrilege, rob temples; 3:2 oracles, the Scriptures; 3:25 propitiation, satisfaction, reconciliation, appeasement; remission of sins that are past, forgiveness of former sins.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Internet Radio sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Government Officials: Gov. Sean Parnell (AK), Rep. Gary Ackerman (NY), Rep. Jo Bonner (AL), Sen. Tom Harkin (IA), Rep. Lamar Smith (TX), and Rep. Tim Scott (SC) • Country: French Guiana (168,000) on the northern coast of South America • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 85% Christian; 9.5% non-Religious/Other; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Amidst uncertainty, seek the guidance of God (Is. 42:16).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Romans 4 – 7
Highlights:

Faith and righteousness through Jesus Christ defined; freedom from sin's power; conflict between our fleshly and spiritual natures.
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin . . . . yield yourselves unto God . . . as instruments of righteousness unto God (Rom. 6:11, 13).

As children of God, we are responsible to reckon (that is, to accept as a fact) that sin is no longer our master, that we are dead indeed to our former life of sin. That doesn't mean we are not able to sin, but we are given the power not to sin. Before we come to a saving knowledge in Christ, the enemy has us in sin's bondage. There is no hope of escape other than accepting God's free gift of salvation. We use that term "saved" a lot. I have been asked "saved from what?" The answer: sin, death, hell. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved (John 3:17). Our present and future are set free from these imprisonments. How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard Him (Heb. 2:3).

God sees the believer as no longer condemned because of Adam, but set free through Christ, the head of a new creation. That is what we are. We are something new. This may seem strange to some, but when we come to Christ, the old creature dies and a new one is born. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature (II Cor. 5:17).

This wonderful position in Christ will only be experienced by the few who see the believer's necessity to claim (reckon) his inheritance in Christ. This inheritance belongs to everyone who is transformed by the mighty power of Jesus. We are no longer mere mortals. One day we will pass from mortality to immortality. We have become supernatural in nature. We are the children of God. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory (I Cor. 15:54).

Furthermore, God has placed the responsibility on us to yield our life unto Him as instruments of righteousness — not in our own strength, but in the power of the indwelling Spirit, for we are alive from the dead (Rom.6:13). Jesus' indwelling life makes the difference. It is He who empowers us to pass from death unto life. We are spiritually crucified and are healed from our terminal case of sin. We no longer are trapped in this terrible state.

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin (Rom. 6:6).

Thought for Today:

When we see ourselves for what we really are, we will bow in grateful humility for God's great love to us.
Cross References:

For Rom. 4:3: See Gen. 15:6. Rom. 4:7-8: See Ps. 32:1-2. Rom. 4:17: See Gen. 17:5. Rom. 4:18: See Gen. 15:5. Rom. 7:7: See Ex. 20:17; Deut. 5:21.
Word Studies:

4:8 will not impute sin, no longer regards as a sinner; 7:8 concupiscence, evil desires or lust; covetousness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Official: Vice-President Joseph Biden, Jr. • Country: Gabon (1 million) in west-central Africa • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 66% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 3% animism and ancestor worship • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord in prayer, turn from your sinful ways, and God will have mercy and pardon for you (Is. 55:6-7).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Romans 8 – 10

Highlights:

The new law of life in the Spirit; Israel's failure because of unbelief; a means of mercy for the Gentiles.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God (Rom. 8:14).

Some people are guilty of grieving the Holy Spirit because they are seeking His power merely to perform a variety of good deeds. The heart is deceitful above all things (Jer. 17:9) and, often under the guise of doing good things, is guilty of "puffing up" the self-image. God is more concerned about what you are than about what you do for Him. We can do godly things without being godly. We can feed the hungry, work with the sick and hand out Bibles in the street, but none of this is a guarantee of the love of Christ being in our hearts. Does the outward give a reflection of the inward? The answer is yes. However, there could be differing motivations for giving the appearance of serving God. Our service may not be from a true servant's heart. Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity (Matt. 7:22-23).

Many Christians today have endeavoured to live the Christian life in their own strength. But it is only when the believer accepts his own powerlessness and turns to the Holy Spirit that he will seek after and attain the likeness of Christ. We have no hope of truly serving God without the Holy Spirit working in our hearts and lives. The Holy Spirit will empower us to walk upright and Christlike before the world. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual (I Cor. 2:13).

The fundamental law of following Christ is this: If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it (Matt. 16:24-25). Turn from your old life of seeking to please self and allow the Spirit of God to work in you, both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

Live in faith that the care of your life is in the hands of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter. Thus, with the loving presence of Christ in you, the living likeness of Christ will be seen through you. With Christ living inside us, we will walk in His will. We will do the things that He desires for us to do. We will no longer live for our own will, but for the will of the Father.

Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh (Gal. 5:16).

Thought for Today:

Once we have been enlightened by God's Word, we have a responsibility to act upon it.
Cross References:

For Rom. 8:36: See Ps. 44:22. Rom 9:7: See Gen. 21:12. Rom. 9:9: See Gen. 18:10. Rom. 9:12: See Gen. 25:23. Rom. 9:13: See Mal. 1:2-3. Rom. 9:15: See Ex. 33:19. Rom. 9:17: See Ex. 9:16. Rom. 9:25: See Hos. 2:23. Rom. 9:26: See Hos. 1:10. Rom. 9:27-28: See Is. 10:22-23. Rom. 9:29: See Is. 1:9. Rom. 9:33: See Is. 28:16. Rom. 10:5: See Lev. 18:5. Rom. 10:6-7: See Deut. 30:12-13. Rom. 10:8: See Deut. 30:14. Rom. 10:11: See Is. 49:23. Rom. 10:13: See Joel 2:32. Rom. 10:15: See Is. 52:7. Rom. 10:16: See Is. 53:1. Rom. 10:18: See Ps. 19:4. Rom. 10:19: See Deut. 32:21. Rom. 10:20: See Is. 65:1. Rom. 10:21: See Is. 65:2.
Word Studies:

9:15 compassion, grace, mercy, gentleness, loving-kindness; 10:21 gainsaying, faultfinding, contradicting, opposing.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Yvette Clarke (NY), Sen. Richard Durbin (IL), Rep. Chaka Fattah (PA), and Rep. Tom Rooney (FL) • Country: Gambia (1 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and Mandinka • Religious freedom • 87% Muslim; 10% animism and ancestral spirit worship; 2% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and call upon the Lord with assurance that He will answer if you pray with a godly spirit free from sin (Is. 58:9-11).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Corinthians 1 – 4
Highlights:

Church problems at Corinth.
For we are labourers with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building (I Corinthians 3:9).

The Bible does not say we are labourers for God, but we are labourers (fellow-workers) with God. He has certain responsibilities for each of us, and He has specifically prepared us to accomplish His purposes. Therefore, no one should feel either indispensable or inadequate. The effectiveness of our work in Christ is entirely dependent upon His blessing. We are incapable of accomplishing anything for the kingdom of God unless He blesses our endeavours.

Many who set out on their own without God wonder why their plan did not work. Why is it they experienced failure? Often God's blessings were never on the plan. Though it might have been a goodly plan, that does not mean it was godly. Sometimes things can be right, but may not be for right now. All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any (I Cor. 6:12).

Praise and recognition for all accomplishments should be given to the Lord, who alone has qualified us for His service. This leaves no room for envying another's ability or usefulness. We can rejoice that we are united in His service as labourers together with God. It is God who calls us to His service. It is God who empowers us to serve. Therefore, if there is any praise to be given, He is the one who is deserving of it. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him (Ps. 28:7).

Jealousy displeases God, dishonors Christ, and destroys the spirit of unity. Each of us is necessary for doing the Lord's work, and our one goal and one purpose should be to praise and honor our wonderful Lord. We should always be supportive of those who are working for the upbuilding of God's Kingdom. There is no reason to be jealous. We are all working for the same ending.

I Corinthians is the Apostle Paul's letter to a church in chaos, a church that has gone wrong. It's an instruction manual for how a messed up congregration, full of petty and immature individuals, can get back on track. It is a guide for the believers to live in unity and love so that the world is compelled to see the power and majesty of God. When the people of God live for the glory of God, God's glory shines even brighter in a dark world, drawing others to worship Him. The closer God's children get to Christ, the closer they are drawn to one another.

Thus Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:3).

Thought for Today:

Our love for others must exceed that of the world, who only love those that love them.
Cross References:

For I Cor. 1:19: See Is. 29:14. I Cor. 1:31: See Jer. 9:24. I Cor. 2:16: See Is. 40:13. I Cor. 3:19: See Job 5:13. I Cor. 3:20: See Ps. 94:11.
Word Studies:

1:21 the foolishness of preaching, foolishness to unbelievers; 2:6 perfect, spiritually mature; 3:1 carnal, worldly; 4:5 counsels, motives; 4:11 naked, poorly clothed; buffeted, treated with disrespect; 4:16 followers, imitators; 4:18 puffed up, arrogant, proud.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Ghana (19 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and African languages • The government permits freedom to churches and missionaries that do not get involved in politics • 31% belief in spirits and witches; 22% Protestant; 17% Muslim; 11% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray persistently (Is. 62:6).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Corinthians 5 – 9
Highlights:

Immorality and other sins are rebuked; guidelines for marriage and Christian conduct.
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers . . . nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the Kingdom of God (I Cor. 6:9-10).

Five times in chapter 6 are the alarming words Know ye not to emphasize the importance of being on guard against false teachers and perverted views as to who will inherit the Kingdom of God. Paul wanted to make sure he got this point across. Many people look at the Bible and say how much it repeats itself. God knows this benefits the believer. As we study the Word of God, major points that help us live our lives right are made clear to us. All we need to do is listen and hear what God is saying. So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding (Prov. 2:2).

Many people think they can live how they want to live and still go to Heaven, but this passage of the Scripture should cause everyone who is still practicing these sins to examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith (II Cor.13:5). As we can see, the Scripture is plain, God outlines a life pattern for us to live. He shows the way we need to walk. We need not have a lifestyle directed by man, church or denomination. God, in His Word, has given us the way our lives should be lived. Our lives should be lived in service to God. We do this so the world sees Christ. For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh (4:11).

No Christian has the right to say he can do as he pleases, for we have a responsibility before God and man to deny self and follow in the footsteps of the Master. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's (I Cor. 6:20). Christ paid a great price for our freedom from sin and death. He is our great redeemer. As we walk through life, we need to remember this. Sometimes we forget and start living life our way. Don't worry, God is faithful. Christ is right there waiting for us to turn back to Him. All we have to do is open our mouths and our hearts and pray to God for the help we need to understand where we went wrong.

Ask God to reveal the areas in your life that need strengthening and allow Him to cleanse your heart of any hidden sins.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Ps. 139:23-24).

Thought for Today:

It is only through the power of God's Word that we will seek good and not evil.
Cross References:

For I Cor. 6:16: See Gen. 2:24. I Cor. 9:9: See Deut. 25:4.
Word Studies:

5:11 a railer, one who is verbally abusive, a reviler; 6:9 effeminate, male homosexual who takes the feminine role; abusers of themselves with mankind, sodomites; 7:1 not to touch a woman, not to marry; 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, Do not deprive each other of marital rights; 7:12 let him not put her away, let him not leave her or divorce her; 7:32 without carefulness, free from anxieties.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Gov. John Lynch (NH) • Country: Greece (10.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Greek and English • Government restrictions on witnessing to others about Christ • 87% Orthodox; 8% Old Calendar Orthodox; 2% Catholic; 1.2% Muslim; .5% Jehovah's Witness; .3% Protestant; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that God hears and answers our prayers (Is. 65:24).
Memory Verse for the Week: Titus 2:14

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk