Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 46 – 48 
Highlights:

Ordinances for the princes and people in worship; prince's inheritance; vision of the Holy Water; river of the new Sanctuary; land appointed to Twelve Tribes, Sanctuary, city, and suburbs.
Afterward He brought me again unto the door of the House. . . . Then said He unto me . . . go down into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed (Ezek. 47:1,8).

In a vision Ezekiel saw the waters of life flowing into the Dead Sea, bringing forth fresh, life-giving water. Where there only had been death, great schools of fish could now be seen. Everywhere the river flowed, it brought life (47:9).

This is a beautiful vision of Christ in this world. Jesus has all the power in heaven and in earth (Matt. 28:18). We know He can bring life to that which is dead. That is what He has done for each and every believer. He saw the state we were in and still paid the penalty for our sin. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8). We were dead because of our trespasses and our sins, but when we prayed to Jesus that changed. He touched our hearts and transformed them to hearts of flesh. Our lives were once dark and dreary places. We had no hope other than what little we could muster for this life. Praise be to God that we now have the promise of eternal life. An eternity in heaven spent with God the Father, our Lord and Savior Jesus and all our loved ones who believed.

God has a pure River of Life for His redeemed people. We will drink from that water forever. On one occasion, Jesus said: If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of Living Water (John 7:37-38). All the blessings of life come through Christ, the Fountainhead, and continue to increase in depth and preciousness as we walk in the Light of His Word.

Our lives will continue to grow in Christ more and more as we let the Word of God continue to illuminate our lives. We must open ourselves up to it everyday. It will then shape our lives so that we can become more Christlike. We learn who Christ is from our study of God's Word. We become more like Him by acting on what we learn. For not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law shall be justified (Rom. 2:13).

Whosoever will, let him take the Water of Life freely (Rev. 22:17).

Thought for Today:

Fellowship with Christ brings fullness of life that overflows in blessing others.
Christ Revealed:

Through the river of living waters and one of the Names of God, Jehovah(Yahweh)-Shammah, meaning: The Lord is there (Ezek. 47:1-12; 48:35; also Rev. 21 — 22).
Word Studies:

46:7 as his hand shall attain unto, as much as he can afford; 46:24 places of them that boil, where the Temple servants are to boil the sacrifice; 47:2 utter gate, outer gate.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Edith Bennett • Staff: Pam Murton • Country: Tajikistan (6 million) southeast central Asia • Major languages: Tajik and Russian • Almost entirely Muslim • 82% Muslim; 4% Russian Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His goodness and mercy (Ps. 106:1).
Optional Reading: Revelation 19

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:4

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 1 – 3
Highlights:

Daniel and his friends resist the mandate to eat the king's food; Nebuchadnezzar's forgotten dream and its interpretation; fiery furnace proven harmless to three Jews.
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat (Dan. 1:8).

Daniel was outstanding in wisdom and in his understanding of the times. Soon after Daniel's captivity, Nebuchadnezzar provided a special three-year course of training for Daniel and other selected captives to be educated in the language and customs of their new country.

The king's purpose was to strengthen his kingdom by weakening their loyalty to God. We must be careful in life whenever someone offers a reward or prize. Often, we find out our so-called great reward was nothing more than a scam to cheat us. The king was choosing some of the best and the brightest. He truly believed this would work against any future problems from the enslaved Israelites. The Israelites were commanded to teach God's Word diligently to their children (Deut. 6:6-7). Daniel and his friends had been captured as teenagers and had been taught God's principles from birth. In getting these men, the king, unknown to himself, was choosing some of the most dedicated men of God. He was training them to be like Babylonians, but they never lost their faith in God. If anything, God strengthened them for those hard times that they would face in their stand for God. Still today the Lord says: Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage (Gal. 5:1).

One of the requirements of these "privileged" men was to eat the same food that the king ate. But Daniel and his three friends were permitted to not eat the "defiled" food (which probably meant that it was not prepared according to God's Levitical standards). As a result, God honored these men with healthier bodies and clearer minds than any of the others. God will always bless obedience to His Word. Even though the trials may seem never-ending, we must not compromise but press forward for the cause of Christ. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14).

Although it may sometimes be difficult, God expects His children to remain true to godly principles in every situation.

Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew My power in thee, and that My Name might be declared throughout all the earth (Rom. 9:17).

Thought for Today:

Always remain true to God and His Word even when facing opposition.
Christ Revealed:

As The Stone that smote the image (Dan. 2:35). The Stone is Jesus Christ (Acts 4:11; Eph. 2:20; I Pet. 2:4-8).
Word Studies:

1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, Young men who were strong and healthy; 2:1 his sleep brake from him, he was unable to sleep; 2:31 great image . . . was terrible, dreadful, awesome, frightening; 3:19 the form of his visage, his facial expression; 3:21 hosen, other garments.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Sen. Mark Steven Kirk (IL) and Rep. Joe Barton (TX) • Country: Tanzania (31.3 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Swahili and English • Churches are expected to help implement Marxist policy • 45% Christian; 19% Muslim; .4% Baha'i; .1% Hindu; 35.5% Other• Prayer Suggestion: Pray and praise God with a spirit of thankfulness for His goodness (Ps. 107:1,21).
Optional Reading: Revelation 20

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 4 – 6
Highlights:

Nebuchadnezzar's vision and Daniel's interpretation of it; fulfillment of the dream; Belshazzar's feast; handwriting on the wall; its fulfillment: Daniel cast into the lions' den.
Belshazzar the king made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand (Dan. 5:1).

The seventy years of Jewish exile were nearing an end at the time. Belshazzar was enjoying this great party. In his intoxicated condition, he ordered his servants to bring him the Holy Vessels that his father, Nebuchadnezzar, had taken from Solomon's Temple years before. He commanded the servants to fill the vessels with wine. As they drank, they hilariously praised the gods of gold, and of silver (5:4).

But God reached forth His hand and got the arrogant king's attention through His miraculous handwriting on the wall. Greatly dismayed, the proud king panicked, and his knees smote one against another (5:6). In fear, he cried for his astrologers and soothsayers, but they were unable to interpret the message. The whole demeanor and attitude of this king changed in an instant. He was humbled and afraid. Though he did not understand what was happening; he knew a greater force than he was at work here. Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance . . . the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger . . . Because he hath despised the Word of the Lord, and hath broken His commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him (Num. 15:29-31).

He would finally get his answer from Daniel; a true man of God. He found out his life and kingdom were over because the Medo-Persians would soon conquer this great power. It has been discussed before and warrants being said again that God is not subject to human power. He is the Almighty and the All Powerful. Everything that "was," "is," and "will be" part of creation is under God's authority. Thou art Worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created (Rev. 4:11).

The actions of the God-rejecting Belshazzar parallel the lives of many today who disregard the Church and desecrate the Lord's day. Unless our nation heeds the lessons of history, a similar calamity may also come upon us suddenly and devastatingly.

God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble (I Pet. 5:5).

Thought for Today:

Pride is the root of much sin in our lives.
Christ Portrayed:

By Daniel — a stone was rolled across the mouth of the den of lions and set with the king's seal (Dan. 6:16-17). There was a stone rolled across the mouth of the cave where Jesus was buried and it too was set with an official seal (Matt. 27:63-66). As Daniel came forth unscathed, proclaiming the power of God to save, so, too, Jesus came forth from the dead proclaiming the saving power of God (Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

4:11 the sight thereof to, its visibility extended to; 4:16 & 32 seven times, seven years; 5:5 against the candlestick, opposite the lampstand; 5:12 shewing of hard sentences, rare ability of revealing the meaning of baffling riddles.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. David Rivera (FL), Rep. Dale E. Kildee (MI),and Rep. Jo Ann H. Emerson (MO) • Country: Thailand (60 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Thai and English • Limited freedom of Christian ministry; Buddhism is the state religion • 92% Buddhist; 4% Muslim; 2% Chinese folk-religionist; 1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for your adversaries (Ps. 109:4).
Optional Reading: Revelation 21

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 7 – 9
Highlights:

Daniel's vision of the beasts; vision of Christ's Kingdom; ram and rough goat vision; vision of seventy weeks.
Daniel spake and said, I saw in my vision by night, and, behold, the four winds of the heaven strove upon the great sea. And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another. . . . behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven (Dan. 7:2-3,13).

The great sea, driven by opposing winds, represents the confusion and contention that exists in the world. And out of this tempestuous situation four savage beasts arise, depicting the history of the world from the time of Daniel to the Kingdom of Christ. For any who doubt that the prophecies are of God, Daniel is given a great vision of coming world powers. These world powers are remembered still today. If one really needs confirmation for the prophecies in the Word of God, they are either already recorded, or soon will be, in a history book. That is how certain they are. Never doubt the Word of God. It is Truth from cover to cover. For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in Truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (I Thess. 2:13).

Fifty years before Daniel's vision, these same four great kingdoms were revealed to the proud, worldly-minded Nebuchadnezzar, but from a far different point of view. The king was told: There is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and . . . maketh known to thee what shall come to pass (Dan. 2:28-29).

Nebuchadnezzar had viewed a great and glorious giant figure, representing succeeding world empires that would exist until the end of time. Later, Daniel also had a similar vision (7:23). But to the spiritually-minded prophet, the kingdoms of this world did not appear as a dazzling giant, but as savage beasts that were controlled by the impulses of selfish ambition, cruelty, and strife. Daniel saw humanity as it is when it rejects Christ — degraded and enslaved by its sinful nature. There is no doubt the true believer will have a much different world view than those still in the bondage of sin. The difference is so opposite that we are commanded to not be tied closely to the unbeliever. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? (II Cor. 6:14).

The god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not (II Cor. 4:4).

Thought for Today:

To some, worldly popularity and power appear as a dazzling giant prize to be gained at any price.
Christ Revealed:

As the Son of Man (Dan. 7:13-14). The Truth of this vision was confirmed by our Lord as He spoke of His promised return. They shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matt. 24:30).
Word Studies:

7:25 wear out, to persecute with purpose of entire annihilation; 7:28 cogitations much troubled, thoughts much bewildered; 8:7 choler, brutal rage; 8:24 wonderfully, with astonishing success; 9:7 confusion of faces, look of shame; 9:25 wall, moat; 9:26 cut off, put to death.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Julia Rhodes • Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Official: Sen. Chuck E. Grassley (IA) • Country: Tibet (province of China) (4.6 million, from 1990 census) in eastern Asia • Major language: Tibetan • The Chinese government is still committed to promoting atheism, while at the same time, officially permitting Lamaism (a form of Buddhism) • 97% Tibetan Buddhist; 1% Muslim; 1% Bon; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Do not be fearful or live in dread of what might happen; trust the Lord to take care of you (Ps. 112:7).
Optional Reading: Revelation 22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Daniel 10 – 12
Highlights:

Vision of the glory of God; prophecy of kingdoms from David to Antichrist; the Great Tribulation.
I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled (Dan. 10:3).

Cyrus' proclamation to encourage the Jews to return to Jerusalem was made in the first year of his reign (Ezra 1:1-4). Only about 50,000 Israelites responded and went with Zerubbabel to help rebuild the Temple.

During the third year of the reign of Cyrus, or two years after he issued the proclamation, opposition became so intense they were ordered to stop the reconstruction (Ezra 4:4-22).

Daniel became deeply distressed when he learned that opposition had caused construction on the Temple to cease. Consequently, he prayed and fasted for three weeks. Afterward, God revealed to him how unseen evil powers often control the decisions of nations. And He said unto me . . . for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand . . . I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me . . . Now I am come (Dan. 10:11-14).

We must recognize that there are spiritual forces at work in the world. As we sometimes look at things that are happening around us, we can't understand how it is possible that so many bad things could happen in a short period of time. It is very likely that evil spiritual forces are at work in this situation. The enemy, Satan, desires to corrupt and confuse. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).

There is constant warfare taking place in the unseen world. We sometimes talk about combatting evil influences, but the fact is we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against . . . rulers of the darkness (Eph. 6:12). It is vital that we recognize man's inability to overcome these forces without prayer. Prayer is our communication with God. It is a vital necessity in our fight against the enemy. It is through prayer that we claim the Scriptures that will overcome the forces of evil. Remember, when your life is under attack, speak the Word of God in your prayers. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1).

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past . . . Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).

Thought for Today:

As we pray, Christ Jesus intercedes for us.
Christ Revealed:

As Him that liveth for ever (Dan. 12:7). As One of the Three expressed Persons of the Trinity, Jesus Christ always has been and always will be. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily (Truly, truly), I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58). I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, saith the Lord (Jesus Christ), which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty (Rev. 1:8, also 4:8).
Word Studies:

10:15 dumb, speechless; 11:11 choler, furious rage; 11:15 fenced cities, strongholds; 11:24 fattest, richest; forecast his devices, prepare his plans; 12:7 a time, times, and an half, 3-1/2 years.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Patricia Meldrum • Staff: Tifany Edwards • Country: Togo (5 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and several African languages • Limited religious freedom • 41% belief in false gods and voodoo; 32% Roman Catholic; 19% Muslim; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that one of the purposes of prayer is to glorify God (Ps. 115:1).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hosea 1 – 6
Highlights:

Israel charged as an unfaithful wife; judgment upon adulterous Israel; Jehovah's withdrawal from His people; repentance urged.
Hear the Word of the Lord, ye children of Israel: for the Lord hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no Truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land (Hos. 4:1).

God had called the Israelites to be His chosen people, poured out His love upon them as a husband, and united them to Himself as a wife (Is. 54:5-6). Therefore, Israel's forsaking God and turning to the idols of heathen nations was equal to a woman leaving her faithful husband and going to live with other men.

God was charging Israel with forgetting Him and rejecting His love (compare Mic. 6:2; Jer. 2:9). They had once again turned their backs on God and looked to false gods that they could see and touch. They had chosen idolatry over the true and living God. In our time we must do our utmost to not fall into the same entrapment. There are many things in today's society that could draw our worship away from God and toward them. Many are carrying a false message. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves (Matt. 7:15).

When Hosea said there was no knowledge of God in the Land (Hos. 4:1), he did not mean that the people were ignorant of the existence of God or His Word. He meant the Israelites were neither obeying God nor showing any concern about wanting to know His will. This is why it's so important to read the Word of God everyday. This allows God to continually teach us daily. By reading and studying God's Word, we guard ourselves against falling into the same error that the nation of Israel was walking. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth (II Tim. 2:15).

There was no knowledge of God like that which the Apostle John wrote when he said: And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the Only True God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent (John 17:3). This kind of knowledge is the result, not only of hearing His Word, but believing the One who created us and acting upon His Word. But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22).

And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? (Luke 6:46).

Thought for Today:

A successful Christian life is possible only by obedience to God's Word.
Christ Revealed:

Through Hosea's love for his unworthy, sinful wife (Hos. 3:1-5). Our Lord Jesus not only loved us while we were yet sinners, but He also died the death of shame for us on Calvary so that all He possessed might become ours (Rom. 5:8; 8:32; II Pet. 1:3-4). I will betroth thee unto Me for ever (Hos. 2:19).
Word Studies:

2:3 (first) set, expose; (second) set, leave; 3:4 ephod, sleeveless priestly outer garment; 4:16 slideth back, is stubborn, obstinate. Israel has committed whoredom and sacrificed to idols.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Ray Gnagey • Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Officials: Rep. John F. Tierney (MA), Rep. Tim Scott (SC), Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX), and Del. Donna M. Christensen (VI) • Country: Tonga (109,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: Tongan and English • Religious freedom • 55% Protestant; 22% Mormon; 14% Roman Catholic• Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord in adversity, for He will hear (Ps. 116:1-4,8).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Hosea 7 – 14
Highlights:

Israel's sin rebuked and captivity foretold; Israel's ruin and ultimate blessing.
I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely (Hos. 14:4).

The warnings of "judgment" through the prophet Hosea were now changed to a message of "love". This did not mean that God had changed His mind; it did mean that, even though God would judge His people, His love still reached out to them. He called for Israel to return to Him and reject the idols which drew her away, saying: O Israel, return unto the Lord thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity (14:1).

If Israel had only heeded the voice of God, He would have brought a revival to their land. Likewise, in the United States, we should turn back to God and allow Him to heal our land. God still loves His people and He still wants us to follow after Him. Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God (III John 1:11).

In the past, Israel had turned to the powerful nations of Egypt and Assyria for help and had fallen into the trap of worshiping their idols (compare 4:17; 8:4; 11:2; 13:2; Is. 42:17; 44;17). Before we know it, our attention has strayed from God to wordly things. We must be on guard because these wordly things easily become the object of our worship and replace God in our lives. Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world (I John 4:1). That is why it is so important to God's people to look to Him for their answers and their help. The majority of the time things will work themselves out if we will follow the Scripture. But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

Every person has a god whether he admits it or not. Therefore, when man rejects the One True God, he accepts and substitutes another. Whatever things take the place of Christ in our lives, that thing — or person — becomes our idol. We can only serve one master. Many have tried to serve more than one master and found it impossible. Sooner or later the desires of those you serve will conflict with each other, forcing the servant to decide which one to follow. He will eventually grow to favor one or the other.

Jesus said: Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24).

Thought for Today:

Sin and submission to God's Word cannot go together!
Christ Revealed:

In the son who was called out of Egypt (Hos. 11:1). This prophecy is twofold: one is a historical reference pertaining to Israel (Ex. 4:22-23); and the other is prophetic, looking to the sojourn of Christ as a child in Egypt (Matt. 2:14-15).
Word Studies:

9:1 hast gone a whoring, have committed spiritual adultery and idolatry, were unfaithful to God (Israel was regarded as the wife of Jehovah. Isaiah 54:5; 62:4-5); cornfloor, threshing floor; 10:5 calves, golden calf idols; 10:11 to ride, to put in harness; 11:12 yet ruleth with God, is still considered faithful to God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter & Penny Swanson • Country: Trinidad and Tobago (1 million) two islands seven miles off the coast of Venezuela • Major languages: English and Hindi • Religious freedom • 34% Protestant; 29% Roman Catholic; 25% Hindu; 7% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Know that God answers prayer (Ps. 118:5).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Joel 1 – 3
Highlights:

Joel's warnings and call to repentance; future day of the Lord; outpouring of the Holy Spirit; restoration of Israel and judgment upon nations.
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions (Joel 2:28).

After the Lord Jesus' Ascension, the day of Pentecost, after they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, Peter said: This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel (Acts 2:16). The next verse (17) repeats the Word of the Lord as a given to Joel which is a great end times prophecy. We are going to experience a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the latter days. God is going to pour out His anointing in a huge way on His obedient servants. If you want to be part of this, it is important to follow after the Word of God.

Later Peter said: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust (II Pet. 1:4).

Here, the two streams of life are contrasted: The corruption in the world through lust, and the divine nature which is in the world through the Spirit-filled life.

We receive the Adam-life by natural birth, and the Christ-life by spiritual birth. The believer has experienced two births in his life. The first birth comes to every human being that has ever lived. Our fleshly birth into this world is the Adam birth that is spoken of here. Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of a second birth. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God (John 3:3). This second birth that Jesus was speaking of was a spiritual birth. Nicodemus was confused at first asking: How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born? (3:4). Many in the world today are just as confused. They don't understand what being born again means. Jesus explained to him: Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the spirit is spirit (3:5-6). We as believers must help them to understand through the Word of God that by repentance and faith in Jesus, we gain this second birth and we obtain eternal life.

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God (I Pet. 1:23).

Thought for Today:

We cannot afford to neglect God's Word, it is the Master Plan for building our lives according to His design.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who said: I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh (people) (Joel 2:28) — fulfilled in part on the Day of Pentecost and still being fulfilled today (Acts 2:16-18).
Word Studies:

1:12 languisheth, withers away; 1:16 meat, food; 1:17 garners, storehouses, granaries; 2:6 gather blackness, turn pale with terror.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Harry J. Dennison • Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Official: Gov. Steve L. Beshear (KY) • Country: Tunisia (10 million) in North Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Islamic state — no open ministry for Christ is permitted; strict surveillance of all Christian activities • 99+% Muslim; .3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding of the Word of God so you can share it with others (Ps. 119:27).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Amos 1 – 5
Highlights:

Judgments pronounced upon Judah, Israel, and surrounding nations; Jehovah's lamentation over Israel's captivity foretold.
They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly. . . . Though ye offer Me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from Me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols (Amos 5:10,22-23).

The prophecy of Amos seems to have been delivered in Bethel about thirty years before the fall of Israel. Bethel had been one of the religious centers of the Northern Kingdom.

From outward appearance, it seemed that the nation of Israel was worshiping God; but, in reality, their hearts were far from Him. The Lord spoke through Amos to show them how deceived they were and appealed to them to: Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live (5:14). But, Amos' message was unwelcome.

Americans often appear to be a God-following people. This is often an illusion. We may be occasional churchgoers, but that does not mean we are believers. We may have Bibles in our house, but that doesn't mean we study the Word of God. We may speak one thing and our hearts be somewhere else. This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoureth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me (Matt. 15:8). There are so many that go through the motions of Christianity, but they have never experienced the heart-changing power of Jesus. In the end, He will not be fooled by their futile attempts at holy living. And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? (Luke 6:46).

Both Amos and Isaiah foretold that vile men would lay a snare for him (the faithful messenger of God) that reproveth in the gate (Is. 29:21).

The gate was a well-known center of business where the elders sat and judged the people (compare Jer. 17:19; 19:2). The "faithful messengers" are always a target of much criticism as they make known the wickedness of sin.

It is only through the power of God's Word that we will see good and not evil. Loving the Lord means loving His Word. Those who receive Him discover His Word to be their wonderful source of strength.

He that rejecteth Me, and receiveth not My words, hath one that judgeth him: the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day (John 12:48).

Thought for Today:

God's calling is more important than theological or academic diplomas.
Christ Revealed:

As the fiery (Amos 1:4,7,10,12,14; 2:2,5; 5:6) judge (chap. 1 — 5). Jesus . . . was ordained of God to be the Judge (Acts 10:38-42; also II Tim. 4:1; Rev. 2:18-23). His eyes were as a flame of fire (Rev. 1:14; also 2:18).
Word Studies:

2:13 pressed, burdened; 3:5 gin, trap; 3:14 visit, with punishment; 4:1 kine of Bashan were the fat cows, raised in the best pasturelands; but here, it is used figuratively in referring to self-gratifying, sensual, influential women who encourage their husbands to do wrong; masters, husbands; 4:3 breaches, breaks in the city wall; cast them into the palace, cast them into the mire (dunghill); 4:9 blasting, blight; 5:21 smell, be pleased, take delight; 5:23 viols, harps.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Dan. E. Lungren (CA) and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (VA) • Country: Turkey (64 million) in Asia Minor and southeastern Europe • Major languages: Turkish, Kurdish, and Arabic • Official resistance to Christian witnessing • 79% Sunni Muslim; 20% Alawi Shi'ite Muslim; .2% Christian; .04% Jewish (25,000); .09% Armenian Orthodox; .02% Syrian Orthodox; .02% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for understanding of the Word of God as you read each day (Ps. 119:34).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Amos 6 – Obadiah 1
Highlights:

Woe pronounced upon sin; the grasshoppers, fire, plumbline, famine of God's Word; certainty of Israel's dispersion and Edom's destruction.
And the Lord said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the Lord, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of My people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more (Amos 7:8).

A plumbline is a line with a weight at one end. The mason (a craftsman who builds with stone or brick) uses a plumbline to make sure the walls are exactly vertical or upright as they lay the stones one upon the other.

The Lord stood upon a wall . . . with a plumbline in His hand (7:7). His purpose for standing on the wall was not to build it, but to announce its destruction. The wall had become so hopelessly off-center that destruction was the only solution (chap. 7 — 8). God will allow destruction sometimes so a greater work can be done. We heard Him say, I will destroy this Temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands (Mark 14:58).

The wall was a symbol of separation of the kingdom of Israel from the world, and His prophets were as a plumbline — proclaiming the message of Truth.

God's Word is our plumbline. It must be our guide to make sure our thoughts and ways are upright in God's sight. Just as a mason uses a plumbline to make sure the wall is truly upright, we as Christians must be just as precise in applying Bible truths to our lives. It is as if Christ Himself held the plumbline of His Word to measure the direction of our life. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear (Heb. 11:3).

It is God's Word that reveals to us when our lives are in disobedience to God and when we are in sin. Without the Word of God, there would be no absolute Truth in the world. It is almost like saying there would not be a ruler or tape measure. Life would end up being what you or I might think is right or wrong. Truth would be subjective to the speaker. How would you like to drive across a bridge built by a person who had no means of exact measurement? That is like life without God or His Word; soon the bridge will come crashing down.

Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven (Matt. 7:21).

Thought for Today:

God's Word is the only accurate "plumbline" for us, for it reveals life from His point of view.
Christ Revealed:

As the Plumbline (Amos 7:7-8). A plumb line is an instrument used in determining an absolutely straight vertical line. Being perfect, Christ alone is qualified to walk in the midst of His people, measuring and exposing good and bad, true and false (Rev. 2 & 3).
Word Studies:

Amos 6:8 excellency of Jacob, pride, arrogance (Jacob means all of Israel, including the palaces of Jerusalem and Samaria); 6:11 with breaches, into ruins; with clefts, into fragments; 6:13 horns by our own strength, pride over their accomplishments, military power (Deut. 33:17; I Kin. 22:11).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Debbi Belisle's birthday • Country: Turkmenistan (4.8 million) southwestern central Asia • Major languages: Turkmen and Russian • Religious freedom • 89% Muslim (largely Sunni); 9% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Unknown/Other (Catholic, Protestant, Baha'i, Jehovah's Witness, Hare Krishna) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for boldness in telling others about the Lord (Ps. 119:46).
Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:12

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk