Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 14 – 16

Highlights:

Judgment pronounced upon the elders of Israel and Jerusalem; parable of the vine tree; promises of future blessings under new Covenant.
Son of man, What is the vine tree more than any tree, or than a branch which is among the trees of the forest? (Ezek. 15:2).

The vine tree was created for one purpose — to bear fruit. If it does not bear fruit, then it fails in the one purpose for which it was created (John 15:6). Its branches are soft and twisted, and cannot be made into boards. It burns so rapidly that it is of little value as fuel. It is useless even for pegs and pins. That is why the prophet said: Shall wood be taken thereof to do any work? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon? (Ezek. 15:3).

This was also true of the nation of Israel — God's chosen people. He had prospered them above all nations. His blessing should have encouraged them to be holy and teach others to honor His Word and worship the One True God. But, because of their sinful ways, they no longer fulfilled their purpose as God's chosen people (Is. 5; Jer. 2:21; Hos. 10; Rev. 14:18). Therefore, God cast them into the fires of affliction that slowly, but surely, removed them from Jerusalem and the Temple. If we as Christians choose disobedience to God, we should fully expect there to be consequences for our actions. We can't expect God to overlook the wrong we are doing. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Rom. 6:1-2).

All who willfully continue in their sinful ways are deceiving themselves. Many people who call themselves Christians assume that, since they still seem to be receiving God's blessings, He will overlook their evil in the day of judgment. God has never overlooked any sin in any individual or nation. He will not start overlooking sin in us. Sin has a penalty. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 6:2-3). Unless they confess and forsake their sins, they will face eternal consequences. However, if they do confess and forsake their sins, just as the verse says, obedience is rewarded. So, let us turn from our sinful ways and enjoy the blessings of God not only in the world to come, but this world also.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law (Gal. 5:22-23).

Thought for Today:

Sin destroys spiritual discernment in our lives.
Christ Revealed:

In the everlasting Covenant (Ezek. 16:60). He is the Mediator of a better Covenant (Agreement) (Heb. 8:6).
Word Studies:

16:8 I spread My skirt over thee, symbolic of a covenant of marriage (Ruth 3:9; Deut. 22:30); 16:25 opened thy feet, offered yourself as a harlot; 16:30 imperious whorish woman, shameless prostitute; 16:31 eminent place, prominent public location; thou scornest hire, you refuse a fee; 16:43 fretted me, provoked me to anger.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Duane Estey • Staff: Dan Murton • Government Officials: Gov. Brian Shweitzer (MT) and Rep. Bob Filner (CA) • Country: St. Kitts-Nevis (42,000) in the Leeward Islands of the West Indies • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 74% Protestant; 7% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice in the Lord, for He is forgiving to those who call upon Him (Ps. 86:4-5).
Optional Reading: Revelation 9

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:2-3
:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 17 – 19

Highlights:

Parable of the eagles; instruction for captivity; lamentation for leaders of Israel.
Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not My ways equal? Are not your ways unequal? (Ezek. 18:29).

The people of Judah endured much suffering during the final days of Jerusalem before they were taken as slaves to Babylon. Consequently, they were bitter and accused God of being unjust in allowing them to be disgraced and defeated by the Chaldeans (Babylonians). Our mistakes often bring us to a terrible place in life and somehow it seems that it is always someone else's doing. Our parents didn't give what we needed. Our employer didn't understand us, so we got fired. And of course, God has just forsaken us. Disgrace and displacement never help any situation.

Why didn't God come to their rescue? Surely they were not as evil as Nebuchadnezzar and his cruel heathen armies. How could God permit the wicked Chaldeans to prosper and control the earth? God does things His way. Do we always understand His way? No. The reason is we are not thinking with His holy and perfect thoughts, but with our own fallible minds. O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Rom. 11:33). We very rarely are aware of what God is doing unless we search and find Godly discernment to our lives. This is the key to truly understanding anything that God is doing.

Ezekiel told them not blame their fathers, but to examine their own conduct, to turn to God with a new heart and a new spirit . . . and live (Ezek. 18:31-32). Some think the ways of the Lord are not fair; but, in reality, His ways seem unfair only because our own ways are perverted or misdirected. We are sinful by nature and by choice. If left to our own devices, we will do wrong just about every time. We do not have to do this. It is a wicked land we live in, but we don't have to follow after their ways. God's calling for us is: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world (Phil. 2:15).

God's concern has always been that man should turn from his sins and enjoy His protection and provisions. God desires us all to turn to Him.

The Lord is . . . not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

Thought for Today:

Our Lord's highest calling is given to those whose hearts' intent is to please Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the One whose forgiveness provides life everlasting (Ezek. 18:20-22). God so loved (the people of) the world, that He gave His only begotten Son (Jesus), that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
Word Study:

17:18 had given his hand = had pledged his word; 18:8 not given forth upon usury . . . taken any increase = loaned money at no interest; 18:25 not equal = unfair.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Joyce Rutherford's birthday • Government Official: Rep. Alcee L. Hastings (FL) • Country: Sudan (28.9 million) at the eastern end of the Sahara Desert • Major languages: Arabic and Nubian • Limited religious freedom • 70% Sunni Muslim; 19% Christian; 10% Traditional; 1% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His mercy and loving-kindness (Ps. 86:15).
Optional Reading: Revelation 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 20 – 21

Highlights:

Jehovah vindicated in chastening Israel; parable of the sighing prophet and Sword of the Lord; no king for Israel until the Messiah comes to reign.
But the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness: they walked not in My statutes, and they despised My judgments (Ezek. 20:13).

The prophet declared that the real reason for Israel's failure was because they walked not in My (God's) statutes, and they despised My judgments (compare 20:11,19,21). Morally, they had sunk to the level of the vilest heathens around them. God withdrew His blessings from them because they disregarded his Word and did as they pleased. It is unreasonable to expect God to continue to place His blessings on us if we are living in disobedience to His Word. However, we can be so blinded by the enemy to the things around us that we are surprised by our separation from God. Oh, that Christians would realize how important it is to read and obey the Word of God. But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22).

On three occasions the elders went to Ezekiel to inquire of the Lord presumably to seek God's will (Ezek. 8:1; 14:1; 20:1). On the first occasion, the prophet revealed their sins and foretold Jerusalem's doom because of idolatry. At the second meeting, God revealed to the prophet that the elders had no desire to do the will of God. The third time, Ezekiel told them that the destruction of Jerusalem and the nation was imminent.

It is an insult to God for anyone to inquire of the Lord without having a sincere desire to obey His revealed will. It is exceedingly important in our prayers to always yield our will to the will of God. This makes it easier to receive instructions from heaven and change the direction we are walking. When we come to God determined to follow our own way, we are bound to be disappointed. Instead, we should repent and turn our faces towards God. For we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit Itself maketh intercession for us . . . because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:26-27). God is indeed long-suffering to extend His mercy to every sinner who will acknowledge Christ as Savior and Lord. He desires to offer mercy and grace to all mankind. We are promised that: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept Thy Word (Ps. 119:67).

Thought for Today:

God often chastens His people to restore them to fellowship with Him.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will gather His people from all nations and will purge out the false from the true (Ezek. 20:34-38). When the Son of Man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory: And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats. . . . And these (goats) shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal (Matt. 25:31-46; also 3:12).
Word Studies:

20:5 I lifted up mine hand = I bound myself by an oath; 21:2 drop thy (your) word toward = pour out your words against; 21:13 the sword contemn even the rod = there is a testing in store by the sword since you despised the rod (refused to be corrected).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Rev. Gladys Davis • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Gov. Chris Christie (NJ), Rep. Danny K. Davis (IL), Rep. William R. Keating (MA), Rep. Sandy M. Levin (MI), and Rep. John P. Kline, Jr. (MN) • Country: Suriname (431,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: Dutch and English • Very limited religious freedom • 27% Hindu; 22% Roman Catholic; 20% Protestant; 20% Muslim; 6% witchcraft and spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Begin every day with prayer (Ps. 88:13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 22 – 24

Highlights:

Sins of Israel enumerated; parable of the dross; sentence upon Judah; parable of the boiling pot.
Again in the ninth year, in the tenth month, in the tenth day of the month, the Word of the Lord came unto me, saying . . . the king of Babylon set himself against Jerusalem this same day (Ezek. 24:1-2).

Ezekiel foretold that Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, would soon destroy Jerusalem. The siege and capture was pictured as a rusted caldron (large kettle) set over a fire. The caldron represented the nation; pieces of flesh inside represented its people. The fire represented the moral decay of the people. The immorality of God's people was condemned by the destructive fires of the enemy and this world. This happened because they turned from the instruction of the Word of God and God's servants. That is why the kettle was corrupted. Now they would be destroyed by their enemies. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire (Matt. 7:19).

Despite all the optimistic forecasts made by the false prophets who had said that the exiled families would soon be set free, Judah's hour of destruction had finally come. The people recognized too late that Ezekiel's prophecies would be fulfilled. The final sentence of destruction was being carried out upon Judah because they had turned from God and were worshiping idols. We can lie to ourselves and say everything is all right. We can tell ourselves that our relationship with Christ is fine. But the truth boils over in our lives. What shows in your life? The fruits of the Spirit or the works of the flesh? (Gal. 5:19-23).

When a person or material possessions mean more to us than living to please the Lord, that person or thing becomes our idol. What do you worship in your life? Where does the great love of your life lie? It is easy to say God. Do your prayers reflect the answer? Does your study of the Word of God reveal that answer to be true? There can only be one master of your life. It is impossible to serve more than one master. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24). We must live in this world, but we don't have to live like it. Let Christ live and rise up in you.

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world (I John 4:17).

Thought for Today:

God always has a way of humbling the proud.
Christ Revealed:

In the denunciation of Israel's false prophets (Ezek. 22:25-28). Compare these words with those Christ spoke against the scribes and Pharisees. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees (Matt. 23:13-36).
Word Studies:

22:7 set light by father and mother = treated parents with contempt; dealt by oppression with the stranger = treated foreigners with oppression and extortion; vexed the fatherless and the widow = wronged the orphan and the widow; 22:12 gifts = bribes; 23:16 doted upon = lusted for, was infatuated with; 23:20 doted upon their paramours = lusted after their male prostitutes; 24:17 tire = turban.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Mrs. Mildred Colgan • Government Official: Sen. Daniel K. Inouye (HI) • Country: Swaziland (985,000) in southern Africa • Major languages: English and siSwati • Religious freedom • 67% Protestant; 19% animism, spirit-possession cults, and divination; 11% Roman Catholic; 3% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord amidst trouble and He will deliver you (Ps. 91:15).
Optional Reading: Revelation 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 25 – 28

Highlights:

Gentile nations judged; judgment upon Tyre's king and the fate of Satan who inspired him; future regathering of Israel.
Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus (Tyre). . . . I will make thee like the top of a rock . . . thou shalt be built no more (Ezek. 26:3,14).

The island fortress of Tyre, including its coastal territorial possessions, was the greatest commercial metropolis of the world. Tyre gained full control of world commerce when Jerusalem, her greatest competition, was destroyed. Because of their joy over the fall of God's people, God told Ezekiel to prophesy the complete destruction of Tyre.

Surrounded by water, and with her great fleet of Phoenician ships, Tyre seemed like the most secure place on earth. But the time came that Ezekiel's prophecy was fulfilled. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost (II Pet. 1:21).

Alexander the Great besieged Tyre, tore down the walls and other buildings on the mainland, and literally built a rock road directly to the island fortress, thus fulfilling Ezekiel's strange words: And they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water (Ezek. 26:12). God fulfills His word by whomever He decides. The great world conqueror, Alexander the Great, was no believer in God. It can never be said that he heard about Ezekiel's prophecy from God and decided to bring it to pass. No. However, not only did he destroy the city, he used the strange means that God spoke through Ezekiel that he would use. Many world leaders may think they have power, but all power comes from God above. He is the one that spoke and the universe came into existence. He breathed life into man, therefore all life and creation falls under His domain. He often allows man a season of earthly power. God is the one who is All-Powerful. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God (Rom. 13:1).

Why haven't the so-called "atheists" rebuilt this once-great seaport? There are no laws that say it can't be done. But the One who inspired Ezekiel to make that prophecy said it shall never be rebuilt. Every hour of the day, ancient Tyre is a testimony to the reliability of the Bible.

Thy Word is true from the beginning: and every one of Thy righteous judgments endureth for ever (Ps. 119:160).

Thought for Today:

God will always keep the promises of His Word.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will rule over the destruction of Satan at the end of time: Therefore will I bring forth a fire . . . it shall devour thee (Ezek. 28:18-19). As Jesus reigns following the Great White Throne Judgment, the devil . . . was cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:1-14).
Word Studies:

25:5 couchingplace = resting place; 26:9 engines of war = battering rams; 26:17 haunt it = dwell there.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Mike Simpson (ID) and Sen. Bernard Sanders (VT) • Country: Sweden (8.09 million) in northern Europe • Major language: Swedish • Religious freedom • 90% Evangelical Lutheran; 1.5% Roman Catholic; 1% Pentecostal; 4% Muslim; 3.5% Other (Orthodox, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist) • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks and praise to the Lord (Ps. 92:1).
Optional Reading: Revelation 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 29 – 32

Highlights:

Egypt's defeat by Babylon foretold; Assyria's greatness and fall; lamentation over Egypt's fall.
And I will make the land of Egypt desolate . . . and her cities . . . that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years . . . At the end of forty years will I . . . cause them to return . . . It shall be the basest of the kingdoms (Ezek. 29:12-15).

Egypt, a magnificent world power, was famous for its commerce, art, literature, and science. No human mind could possibly have foreseen that Egypt would be defeated, then rebuilt in forty years, but would remain a base kingdom — never again to have world prominence.

At one time Egypt virtually ruled the whole world. When God determined for that time to end, there was nothing anyone or anything could do to stop it. It was only by God's choosing that Egypt was allowed to still exist. This strange prophecy in regard to Egypt is a striking contrast to the prophecy concerning Tyre and other great nations, such as Assyria and Babylon, that would become extinct.

Likewise, in our lives, things are sometimes for a season. This season could be for a brief time or it could last for years. The point is that one day God may bring something to a close in our life. He may do this once or many times because He is birthing something new. Former parts of our life may not totally disappear, but they will take a back seat to the new direction God is taking us. Unlike Egypt, the believer who places his trust in God need not fear these changes. They will always be for the benefit of the believer. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).

Not one prophecy has ever failed to be fulfilled in every detail. The Word of God is the only infallible Truth that can be found on the face of the earth. There are books of great science, but we know science changes with new discoveries. We may have great chronicles of history, but they are imperfect recordings viewed through the human eyes that wrote them. You may say humans wrote the Bible. They did. However, they wrote it under the divine direction of the Holy Spirit. He inspired every word that was written. For our Gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake (I Thess. 1:5).

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but My words shall not pass away (Luke 21:33).

Thought for Today:

During the tests of all the ages, God's Word had been steadfast and sure.
Christ Revealed:

By the Word of the Lord (Ezek. 29:1). In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1). God . . . Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).
Word Studies:

29:7 loins to be at a stand = legs to give way or stagger; 29:18 peeled = rubbed bare; 30:2 Woe worth the day = Mourn the coming day (of terror); 31:3 with a shadowing shroud = overshadowing the forest.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Buck P. McKeon (CA) and Sen. Christopher Coons (DE) • Country: Switzerland (7 million) in central Europe • Major languages: German and French • Religious freedom • 53% Roman Catholic; 41% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for courage to praise the Lord before unbelievers (Ps. 96:3-5).
Optional Reading: Revelation 14

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 33 – 36

Highlights:

Jerusalem's capture; instruction concerning the captivity; reproof of the faithless shepherds; restoration of Israel foretold.
Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks? (Ezek. 34:2).

God expressed His anger against the false religious leaders because they were so involved with their own interests that they didn't teach God's Truth to the people. Consequently, the Israelites were like a shepherdless flock in a state of confusion. They were taken as slaves and scattered all over the world.

God's people are often compared to sheep in the Bible. The shepherd is the one who will guide the sheep in the right direction. He is the one who will seek out the lost sheep when it strays from the flock. He is the one that fights off the enemies that would come to destroy the flock. Without the Word of God being taught, the sheep, God's people, had no clue in which direction to go. They needed someone to teach them the Truth. They were still found going astray when Jesus came. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd (Matt. 9:36).

What happened to Israel is still happening today as false teachers do not lead people to place their faith in Christ. There are all kinds of religions in the world. However, even more dangerous, there are Christian cults (in name only) that misrepresent the Gospel message. In some, the changes are small. However, any changes at all to the message of God's Word are forbidden. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this Book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this Book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the Holy City, and from the things which are written in this Book (Rev. 22:18-19).

Jesus is the One Great Shepherd whom the prophet of God foretold would care for His sheep, saying: And I will set up One Shepherd over them, and He shall feed them (Ezek. 34:23).

I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine. As the Father knoweth Me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down My life for the sheep (John 10:14-15).

Thought for Today:

Christ, the Good Shepherd, proved His love for His sheep by giving His life for the sins of the world.
Christ Revealed:

As the Shepherd (Ezek. 34:23). Jesus said: I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep (John 10:14).
Word Studies:

34:14 a fat = the best; 34:27 delivered them out of the hand of those that served themselves of them = freed them from slavery; 36:3 an infamy of = slandered, ridiculed by.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Nick Angelos • Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Rep. Ted Poe (TX) and Rep. Cynthia M. Lummis (WY) • Country: Syria (17 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Limited religious freedom for Christians • 90% Muslim; 4% Eastern Orthodox; 2% Roman Catholic; .25% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Exalt the Lord, for He is holy (Ps. 99:9).
Optional Reading: Revelation 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 37 – 39
Highlights:

Vision; Valley of dry bones; prophecy against Gog; vision of restored Israel.
Then He said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts (Ezek. 37:11).

In Ezekiel's vision, he saw a valley full of scattered, disjointed bones. These bones represented the Israelites who had been in Babylonian captivity for about twenty-five years and had lost all hope of ever again becoming a nation. They said: Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost. But the majority of these exiled Jews were dead in the sense that sin had destroyed their faith in the promises of God.

Just as God was the only One who could restore life to the dry bones, He was saying to Israel: I . . . shall put My Spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land (37:13-14). Israel, as a nation, was made to live again, and her return to Jerusalem is told in the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah.

God was not finished with His chosen nation. They had allowed themselves to become estranged from God. Their lines of communication were definitely lacking in regards to God. However, God still loved them greatly. There was nothing they could do to change that fact. Not only did He love them, He still had great plans for them. We must always remember even when Christ at times may seem distant, that it only seems that way. He is only one sincere, heartfelt prayer away. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil (I Pet. 3:12).

There will be a day of far greater fulfillment when Christ returns with all His saints in power and great glory. We have the great promise of the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Our enemy, the devil, will no longer be allowed to pervert the world. Evil will be beat down. Good will prevail. Many look at the world today and see the crime, war, hurt, and pain and find it hard to believe that it can all change. There is a change coming. However, there is only One who can change this world. His name is Jesus. He will return just as the Bible said. Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven (Acts 1:11).

And He that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new (Rev. 21:5).

Thought for Today:

Every believer can be assured that God's life-giving Word can transform even the most hopeless situation.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who made possible our resurrection from the grave (Ezek. 37:12). The Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout . . . and the dead in Christ shall rise first (I Thess. 4:13-18; also John 11:25; Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

37:26 place them, settle and bless them; 38:19 shaking, earthquake; 39:6 carelessly, securely, undisturbed; 39:14 sever out, select; with the passengers, with the already-collected dead.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Official: Sen. Daniel K. Akaka (HI) • Country: St. Lucia (154,000) in the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 83% Roman Catholic; 13% Protestant; 2% spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Recognize the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness and praise Him (Ps. 100:4-5).
Optional Reading: Revelation 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 40 – 42
Highlights:

The vision of the future Temple.
The hand of the Lord was upon me. . . . Son of man, behold with thine eyes, and hear with thine ears, and set thine heart upon all that I shall shew thee . . . declare all that thou seest to the house of Israel (Ezek. 40:1,4).

These comforting words, which climax the Book of Ezekiel, caused the children of Israel to look beyond their return from captivity to Jerusalem. The beauty of the new Temple described to Ezekiel lies in the fact that: The Lord is there (48:35). The children of Israel had suffered many trials and tribulations. Many of these were the result of their own disobedience. Many would think they would not cling to a hope for the future. However, when you serve the Only True God, hope is always there for the having. It is true that we may come to a place in this world that there is not much left. At times war, famine, and disease have left mankind facing death's dark shadow. Their time in this world was at an end. Praise be to God that our promise lies not just in this life, but in the life that comes after death. Jesus has been busy preparing a place for all believers where He will spend eternity with them. We will live forever in heaven praising God for His goodness and mercy. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord (I Cor. 15:58).

Ezekiel envisioned a very remarkable feature of the Temple — a stream flowing from its threshold. It was this mysterious stream that transformed everything it touched with new life. It was shallow at first, but the ever-rising stream became the river of life. And He shewed me a pure river of Water of Life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and the Lamb (Rev. 22:1).

As Christians begin reading the Scriptures, some verses and chapters are easily understood. Others will require deeper study in order to understand them (II Tim. 2:15). Yet, some are beyond natural human comprehension. But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit. . . . the natural man receiveth not . . . for they are foolishness unto him . . . because they are spiritually discerned (I Cor. 2:10,14). But as we allow the Holy Spirit to speak to us through His Word, He reveals deeper meanings to all who continue to walk in the Light of His life-giving Word (2:4).

For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of water (Rev. 7:17).

Thought for Today:

God's Word, the Living Water, transforms all who prayerfully read it.
Christ Revealed:

Through the sacrifice (Ezek. 40:42). Jesus made the final once for all. . . . sacrifice for sins for ever (Heb. 10:10-12). Thus He became our only Mediator with God by dying for our sins. The patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us. . . . And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation (9:23-28).
Word Studies:

40:17 thirty chambers were upon the pavement, 30 rooms faced this pavement terrace; 40:23 over against, opposite; 41:24 turning leaves, hinged panels; 42:20 profane, unholy, common.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Beverly Fortran • Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Government Officials: Gov. Sam Brownback (KS), Rep. Henry A. Waxman (CA), Rep. Ben Chandler III (KY), Sen. Scott P. Brown (MA), and Rep. Tim F. Murphy (PA) • Country: St. Vincent and The Grenadines (120,000) in the Lesser Antilles of the eastern Caribbean • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 50% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 2% spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord when you are oppressed (Ps. 102:8-13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 43 – 45
Highlights:

Vision of God's glory filling the Temple; ordinances for the priests; land for the Sanctuary and city described.
So the Spirit took me up . . . into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the Lord filled the House. And I heard Him speaking unto me out of the House; and the Man stood by me (Ezek. 43:5-6).

Many people gathered in this Temple — the place dedicated to God — but their attention was directed to idols and not to God. Sadly, Ezekiel was the only person who was listening to the Lord. He said: I heard Him speaking unto me. At least forty-four times in the forty-eight chapters of this book, Ezekiel said that he heard the voice of the Lord.He was used of God because he was intent on listening for God's voice.

On one occasion, the Lord told Ezekiel to withdraw from the crowds: Arise, go forth into the plain, and I will there talk with thee (3:22). Even though he was a forced captive in the land of the Chaldeans, he was able to hear The Word of the Lord (1:3).

The problem with most of the people of Israel was, unlike Ezekiel, they were never listening to God. Not even the leaders or the priests truly cared if God was speaking to them. They had become intent on going their own way and doing their own thing. They wanted to serve gods they could see and touch. It is no wonder that they were deceived so easily. Many Christians are much like the nation of Israel today. We forget to take the time to listen to God. We want our answers instantly and on our own terms; even looking to some false god for answers. Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils (I Tim. 4:1).

God has something to say in every chapter of His Word, and the spiritual power we have is in direct relationship to how much of His Word saturates our lives. We need to let the Word of God come into every aspect of our lives. Listen in your heart for God to speak and you will hear Him. And when he putteth forth his sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice (John 10:4). The Lord wants a personal relationship with us. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me (Rev. 3:20).

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the Word of Truth, the Gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise (Eph. 1:13).

Thought for Today:

We speak to God in prayer; He speaks to us through His Word. Are you listening?
Christ Revealed:

As the glory of the Lord (Ezek. 43:4). Jesus is the brightness of His glory (the glory of God), and the express image of His Person (Heb. 1:3).
Word Studies:

43:4 whose prospect is, which faces; 43:12 whole limit, whole border, territory; 43:13 higher place of, height of; 43:14 settle, ledge on which the priests stood; 43:17 squares, sides; 44:18 bonnets, turbans, headdresses; 44:22 put away, divorced; 45:24 meat, grain/cereal/meal.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Peter J. Roskam (IL) and Rep. Cedric L. Richmond (LA) • Country: Taiwan, Republic of China (22 million) 77 islands off the southeastern coast of Red China • Major language: Mandarin Chinese • Religious freedom • 80% "Chinese Religions" (Buddhist/Taoist/Confucian); 4% Christianity; .2% Muslim; 14% Atheist; 1.8% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord for your redemption (Ps. 103:4).
Optional Reading: Revelation 18

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk