Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 34 – 36
Highlights:

Jeremiah's warning to Zedekiah; scroll read by Jehudi and destroyed by King Jehoiakim.
So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll . . . And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he (Jehoiakim) cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire (Jer. 36:21,23).

Jehudi read Jeremiah's prophecy that the king of Babylon would again come and destroy the kingdom of Judah, leaving neither man nor beast. Instead of humbling himself and crying out to God, King Jehoiakim's anger became uncontrollable, and he stopped the reading after he had heard only three or four leaves. He then destroyed the roll by cutting it with a penknife and casting it into the fire. Blinded by his unbelief, he sealed his own death by willfully rejecting and destroying the Word of God (36:29-30). Many believe by simply disbelieving the Word of God they can invalidate it. That is like saying, "If I ignore the rain, I won't get wet." If he had accepted the Truth of God's Word, the outcome could possibly have been different. And ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free (John 8:32).

The Bible is the perfect Word of God. He warns those who would attempt to make even the smallest change: If any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life (Rev. 22:19). There have been thousands, like Jehoiakim, who have attempted to destroy the Word of God by burning Bibles and killing Christians. Their names have been forgotten, but God's Word continues to remain the most sought-after Book year after year.

The Bible is the number one best selling book of all time. It has been translated into more languages than any other book. Volumes and volumes of other books have been written giving clarification of its meaning. It inspires millions to change their lives for the better. Those who read, study, and accept its words will be rewarded with wisdom, peace, comfort, and a closer relationship to God than they could have imagined possible. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12). The Word of God is not just a book. It is the life-giving words of the True and Living God.

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away (Luke 21:33).

Thought for Today:

Those who seek counsel from God and His Word avoid deception.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who desires forgiveness, repentance, and liberty for all who are in bondage (Jer. 36:3). Jesus said: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me . . . to preach the Gospel (Luke 4:18).
Word Studies:

34:5 burnings, ceremonial incense burning, to honor the dead (especially kings) at their funerals (II Chr. 16:14); 35:19 not want, never be without.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Officials: Rep. Todd Young (IN), Rep. Steve E. Pearce (NM), Sen. Bob Corker (TN), Rep. John Abney Culberson (TX), and Sen. Joseph Manchin III (WV) • Country: Seychelles (79,000) a group of islands in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and India • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 89% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Confess any sins in your life so that your prayers can be heard (Ps. 66:18-19).
Optional Reading: II John 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 18:2

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 34 – 36
Highlights:

Jeremiah's warning to Zedekiah; scroll read by Jehudi and destroyed by King Jehoiakim.
So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll . . . And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he (Jehoiakim) cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire (Jer. 36:21,23).

Jehudi read Jeremiah's prophecy that the king of Babylon would again come and destroy the kingdom of Judah, leaving neither man nor beast. Instead of humbling himself and crying out to God, King Jehoiakim's anger became uncontrollable, and he stopped the reading after he had heard only three or four leaves. He then destroyed the roll by cutting it with a penknife and casting it into the fire. Blinded by his unbelief, he sealed his own death by willfully rejecting and destroying the Word of God (36:29-30). Many believe by simply disbelieving the Word of God they can invalidate it. That is like saying, "If I ignore the rain, I won't get wet." If he had accepted the Truth of God's Word, the outcome could possibly have been different. And ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free (John 8:32).

The Bible is the perfect Word of God. He warns those who would attempt to make even the smallest change: If any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life (Rev. 22:19). There have been thousands, like Jehoiakim, who have attempted to destroy the Word of God by burning Bibles and killing Christians. Their names have been forgotten, but God's Word continues to remain the most sought-after Book year after year.

The Bible is the number one best selling book of all time. It has been translated into more languages than any other book. Volumes and volumes of other books have been written giving clarification of its meaning. It inspires millions to change their lives for the better. Those who read, study, and accept its words will be rewarded with wisdom, peace, comfort, and a closer relationship to God than they could have imagined possible. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12). The Word of God is not just a book. It is the life-giving words of the True and Living God.

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away (Luke 21:33).

Thought for Today:

Those who seek counsel from God and His Word avoid deception.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who desires forgiveness, repentance, and liberty for all who are in bondage (Jer. 36:3). Jesus said: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me . . . to preach the Gospel (Luke 4:18).
Word Studies:

34:5 burnings, ceremonial incense burning, to honor the dead (especially kings) at their funerals (II Chr. 16:14); 35:19 not want, never be without.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Officials: Rep. Todd Young (IN), Rep. Steve E. Pearce (NM), Sen. Bob Corker (TN), Rep. John Abney Culberson (TX), and Sen. Joseph Manchin III (WV) • Country: Seychelles (79,000) a group of islands in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and India • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 89% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Confess any sins in your life so that your prayers can be heard (Ps. 66:18-19).
Optional Reading: II John 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 18:2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 45 – 48
Highlights:

Judgment against Eqypt, Philistines, and Moab.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the Lord deceitfully (Jer. 48:10).

God's condemnation was upon the priests and leaders who doeth the work of the Lord deceitfully — that is, just going through the motions of worship, but not taking seriously its true purpose.

On another occasion we read: Curse ye Meroz, said the angel of the Lord, curse ye bitterly the inhabitants thereof; because they came not to the help of the Lord, to the help of the Lord against the mighty (Judg. 5:23).

Some people lack enthusiasm and do not take seriously the Word of God. But they shall give account for every neglected opportunity to serve the Lord (Rom. 14:12). Some Christians seem pleased because others are sacrificing for the Lord's work, but they themselves are unwilling to accept any responsibility. They do not have the same genuine zeal for the things of God as they do for personal pleasure or advancement. They are too full of self to be concerned with the growth of the Kingdom of God.

There are those that have far too many worldly concerns of their own to think of lost souls, mission work, teaching God's Word, or church work. Some people will say they just don't have the time or energy. Others seem to be blind to these great needs. Some people are astonished when they add up how little they read God's Word, pray, or witness. We do have worldly obligations that need to be met, but our obligations to God should come first. They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith He unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's (Matt. 22:21).

But those who recognize their indebtedness to God for His redeeming grace see the great tragedy of wasting time or postponing opportunities to minister to a needy world.

We should follow the example of Isaiah, the prophet who had such great zeal to serve the Lord. When asked who will go, he immediately said: Here am I; send me (Is. 6:8).

Friend, ask the Lord Jesus to fill you with a fervent spirit and once again renew your commitment to live more for eternal values and less for things of the world.

Be kindly affectioned one to another . . . Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit, serving the Lord (Rom. 12:10-11).

Thought for Today:

Love for the Lord is the true motivation for Christian service.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who lovingly corrects His people (Jer. 46:28). Whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth (disciplines), and scourgeth (whips) every son whom He receiveth (Heb. 12:6).
Word Studies:

46:4 brigandines, armor; 46:11 daughter, people; 48:2 be cut down, perish; 48:10 deceitfully, negligently; halfheartedly; 48:19 espy, watch; 48:41 Kerioth is, Cities are.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Country: Slovakia (5 million) central Europe • Major languages: Slovak and Hungarian • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant; 4% Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for the privilege of publishing His Word (Ps. 68:11).
Optional Reading: Revelation 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Proverbs 3:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 49 – 50

Highlights:

Judgments against Ammon, Edom, Damascus, Kedar, Hazor, Elam, and Babylon foretold; redemption of Israel promised.
Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will punish the king of Babylon and his land . . . And I will bring Israel again to his habitation . . . and his soul shall be satisfied (Jer. 50,18-19).

Babylon's defeat was foretold to strengthen the Israelites' faith in God and reassure them that He had not forgotten His covenant promise to their forefathers. It was also given to encourage them to return to Jerusalem. Its purpose also was to keep them from participating in Babylon's idol worship.

God is all powerful and will at times do great things to protect His people. God is ruler over nature and nations. He calms the storm (Ps. 107:29; Matt. 8:26; Mark 4:39; Luke 8:24), and can cause nations to fall (Job 12:23; Jer. 25:12-29). God loves His children and offers much to keep them from falling into the traps laid out by the enemy. The Holy Spirit teaches us to make right choices. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual (I Cor. 2:13).

The Word of God is an offensive and defensive weapon in our combat with the enemy. The study and use of His Word will guard our hearts against sin. Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee (Ps. 119:11). The Word of God is our weapon of attack. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Eph. 6:17). Prayer will move the hand of God on behalf of the believer. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

As foretold by the prophets, the Medes and Persians successfully defeated Babylon, and Cyrus urged the Jews to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the Temple. Their faith in the prophetic message is symbolic of the backslider who returns to God — freed from the power of sin, and restored to fellowship with Him. We are told there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth (Luke 15:10) when a backslider turns his heart back to Jesus Christ. Anytime one is awakened to the Truth of God's Word, that person has opened a whole new world to themselves. They have been pardoned from hell's eternal prison.

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed (John 8:36).

Thought for Today:

God is waiting to hear the call of the repentant heart.
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer who pleads our cause (Jer. 50:34). Blessed (Praised and extolled and thanked) be the Lord God of Israel; for He hath visited and redeemed His people (Luke 1:68). It is Christ . . . who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34).
Word Studies:

49:1 their king, Ammonite god known as Malcham/Malcam, Milcom, Molech or Moloch, to whom children were sacrificed through fire; 50:5 thitherward, toward it; 50:31 visit, punish.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Country: Slovenia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian • Freedom of religion • 81% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and thank God for all His blessings (Ps. 68:19).
Optional Reading: Revelation 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 51 – 52

Highlights:

Judgment against Babylon; fall of Jerusalem; captivity of Judah.
For thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; The daughter of Babylon is like a threshingfloor, it is time to thresh her: yet a little while, and the time of her harvest shall come (Jer. 51:33).

The walls of Babylon were 87 feet wide and 360 feet high. Its palace and vast architectures appeared unconquerable. But Babylon's splendor and gigantic world empire did not keep God from bringing about its defeat after 70 years, as foretold by Jeremiah. To this day, ancient Babylonia is uninhabited (51:62).

The world as we know it, is a "system" as well as a "planet." Babylon represented a system in which there are many attractive things to entice the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (I John 2:16).

However, behind all worldly activities is a power that seeks to defeat and destroy the work of God — a satanic system that controls the world that . . . knew not God (I Cor. 1:21) and hated Christ (John 15:18). There are so many of these systems in the world. They include false religions, drugs, alcohol, illicit sex, and violence, as well as many others that draw us into sin.

When God ordains the destruction of a nation, He does it right the first time. Unless He wills it, that nation is gone forever. There have been many great world powers: Egypt, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome. All fell for one reason. The Word of God prophesied it. It is important to remember God has all the power. He is in control of all things. No army, fortified city, or great human leader can stop the plan of God from coming to fruition.

But what about other worldly activities? Things like ball games, tournaments, vacations, and even our own jobs. We might think to ourselves that these are just recreation and our work. How could these things fall into this same way of thinking? Anything that could be found taking the place of God in our lives could be looked at in this light. However, we are told to redeem the time (Eph. 5:16). As a child of God, He should be in the forefront of our thoughts. We should use whatever occasion we find ourselves in to witness for Him: Be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort (II Tim. 4:2). We need to manage our time, skills, and finances so that God gets His proper portions, which are our first fruits. God should not get only leftovers while we give prime cuts to the world.

Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues (Rev. 18:4).

Thought for Today:

Do others see Christ in you?
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator of the universe (Jer. 51:15). All things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16).
Word Study:

51:2 fanners, strangers, destroyers; fan, scatter, disperse; 51:11 device, plan, purpose; 51:17 brutish, foolish; founder, metal caster; graven image, idol he has made; 51:25 mountain, power; 51:31 at one end, from end to end; 51:42 The sea, The flood waters of the Euphrates; 52:31 lifted up the head of, showed favor to.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Officials: Sen. John McCain (AZ) and Rep. Dave G. Reichert (WA) • Country: Solomon Islands (455,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 120 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 66% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 4% spirit worship, ancestor worship, and sorcery • Prayer Suggestion: What a comfort to know that we depend upon His strength (Ps. 71:16).
Optional Reading: Revelation 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Lamentations 1 – 2

Highlights:

Jeremiah's lamentation over Jerusalem's misery.
Thy prophets have seen vain and foolish things for thee: and they have not discovered thine iniquity, to turn away thy captivity; but have seen for thee false burdens and causes of banishment (Lam. 2:14).

Thy prophets refer to false prophets — self-deceived because they have taught their tongue to speak lies (Jer. 9:5). They carried the prophets credentials and maintained recognition and prominence in the world as professional men, but they were not anointed of God. These false prophets could not see that disobedience to God was the root of the nations troubles. They were blind leaders of the blind (Matt. 15:14).

False prophets have no insight into the real cause of personal or national problems. Their prayers are powerless. They are popular because they say what the people want to hear. Faith in a false prophet or system of religion can be eternally disastrous because it leads the people astray. God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life (Rev. 22:18-19).

Many people flock to false prophets. This happens mainly because of the nature of the false message. Some promise great prosperity for following them or investing finances and time into their ministry. They will promise huge returns of ten times or a positive career change. Miracles that only God can deliver are offered. They may also have easier ways to heaven. True believers in Christ would wonder what could be easier than the free gift of salvation by grace. The true servant of God will not be shady or deceitful. True servants have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the Word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God (II Cor. 4:2).

Real prophets will simply seek to proclaim the message of the Lord. That message will match up to the Word of God. It will not cost you a dime to receive it. It will glorify God and not the messenger. If in any way this prophetic message does not stand the test of God's criteria, we know it is not from the Lord and we should avoid this false prophet, so as not to get drawn into his web.

But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in . . . the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (II Tim. 3:13-15).

Thought for Today:

Don't risk the eternal destiny of your soul on a "hope-so" religion; God reveals His way of eternal salvation through His Word.
Christ Revealed:

By Jeremiah's sorrow over the destruction of Jerusalem (Lam. 1:12-22). Jesus expressed His sorrow for Jerusalem's failure to come to Him before it fell (Matt. 23:37; Luke 13:34).
Word Studies:

1:3 between the straits, where there was no way out; 1:4 solemn feasts, appointed assemblies; 1:9 came down wonderfully, had a horrifying fall; 1:14 wreathed, joined, intertwined; 2:12 their soul was poured out into, they died in.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Somalia (7 million) on the Horn of Africa • Major languages: Somali and Arabic • Islam is officially favored and all other religions are opposed • 99.8% Muslim; .1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your decisions will always be to please the Lord (Ps. 73:24).
Optional Reading: Revelation 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Lamentations 3 – 5
Highlights:

God's mercy; punishment of Zion; the faithful bewail their calamities and confess their sins.
I am the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of His wrath. He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light (Lam. 3:1-2).

The old prophet Jeremiah had walked with God through one dark calamity after another: He hath led me, and brought me into darkness. But he had assurance that the God he represented was able to guide him through the darkness. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me (Ps. 23:4).

He experienced the dark memories of a thankless ministry to which he had given his life, but he had no regrets. He had no reason to have regrets. He had given himself to the ministry of God. He had endured great hardships to carry the Word of God to a backslidden nation. He spoke each prophecy as given to him by God. He had truly walked the walk and talked the talk. In Jeremiah, we have a true prophet of God. He was ready to hear the words that every true follower wants to hear: His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord (Matt. 25:21).

Even though a Christian may be in darkness, it will move him to draw closer to God. Often God does not reveal Himself in these times of darkness because He is teaching His children to walk by faith, not by sight. Be prepared for times of darkness when you just can't understand why. We are never promised that there will not be difficult times. We only have the promise that God will see us through those times. The valley at times may get deep. The mountains may seem too high to climb, but God is there ready to direct us. Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you (I Thess. 3:11). Our great need is to follow God in the good times and bad times, through light paths and dark paths; He will lead, guide, and direct the way we walk. This can only happen if we allow Him total control of our lives. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's (Rom. 14:8). Though we may suffer afflictions with Jesus, He will see us through. Even when the dark shadow of death begins to encamp us, Jesus will see us through.

Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer . . . be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life (Rev. 2:10).

Thought for Today:

God's Word gives assurance that He is leading us in the Light and not in darkness.
Christ Revealed:

As the merciful Savior (Lam. 3:22). Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life (Jude 1:21).
Word Studies:

3:5 builded against, besieged; 3:9 inclosed, blocked; 3:14 a derision, a laughingstock; 3:15 wormwood, bitterness; 3:29 putteth his mouth in the dust, speaks humbly; 4:10 sodden, boiled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. Marlin A. Stutzman (IN) • Country: South Africa (42.6 million) on the southern tip of the African continent • Major languages: Afrikaans and English • Religious freedom • 76% Christian; 1% Muslim; 1% Hindu; 15% Traditional; .5% Jewish; 6.5% None/Other (Baha'i, Jain, Sikh, Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Confucian) • Prayer Suggestion: Your prayer should always be to please the Lord (Ps. 73:25).
Optional Reading: Revelation 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 1 – 4

Highlights:

Ezekiel's vision of God's administration; his call; warning of judgment.
Moreover He said unto me, Son of man, all My words that I shall speak unto thee receive in thine heart, and hear with thine ears. And go . . . tell them, Thus saith the Lord (Ezek. 3:10-11).

In a vision Ezekiel was given a scroll, and was told to eat it. Although the scroll was full of lamentations, and mourning, and woe, it was as honey for sweetness in his mouth (2:10; 3:3).

This vision foretold how Ezekiel would be satisfied with the Word of God, even though it revealed the sorrows that would befall the people of Israel for rejecting his message. The prophet's task was not easy, for they were a rebellious people. But God never expects anyone to proclaim His Word in his own strength. As Ezekiel received God's Word in his heart, he became strong in the Lord to withstand the opposition.

It has often been said that God does not call the equipped, but He equips the called. That is to say, God will give us everything that we need to accomplish the mission that He has laid out before us. Our skills can be useful to God. After all, He gave them to us. However, a particular skill is not necessary to serve God. We don't need any great gift to make available to Him. We are enough. Our lives are enough. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service (Rom. 12:1).

It is the responsibility of each Christian to faithfully tell others the good news that Christ died to save sinners who will trust Him as their Savior. We must learn to share our faith in Christ at every opportunity given. If the world is to know about the Gospel story, they will most likely hear it from a believer sharing his testimony of commitment to Christ. We must carry this message to the world. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 28:19). Evangelism is one of our most important tasks as a believer and began with just 12 men carrying the Gospel message to the world. It is true all will not hear our message, but we must do all we possibly can to carry it to the world just the same.

I have given them Thy Word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world (John 17:14). But be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (16:33).

Thought for Today:

Those who remain close to the Lord need not fear the ridicule of the wicked.
Christ Revealed:

In a likeness as the appearance of a man, who sat upon the throne (Ezek. 1:26-28). This foreshadowed God who appears as a Man, the Man Christ Jesus (I Tim. 2:5).
Word Studies:

1:18 dreadful, awesome, wonderful; 1:20 up over against, close beside; 3:12 rushing, tumult, shouting; 3:14 heat, anger; 3:26 dumb, unable to speak to warn them; 4:16 break the staff, cut off the supply.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Cunningham Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Ander Crenshaw (FL) and Rep. Al Green (TX) • Country: South Korea (46.9 million) in northeastern Asia • Major languages: Korean and English • Religious freedom • 48% Christian; 40% Buddhist; 3% Confucian; 9% Shamanism; Chodogyo, Other • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord with all of your heart, and tell others of the marvelous things He has done (Ps. 73:28).
Optional Reading: Revelation 6

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 5 – 9
Highlights:

Famine, pestilence, and sword impending; remnant to be spared; third vision of the glory; visions of slaying in Jerusalem.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain (Ezek. 8:4).

When Ezekiel was studying to become a priest in Jerusalem, he was taken to Babylon as a slave. He had dedicated his life to God and could have become bitter over the fact that he was dragged off to a foreign country, hundreds of miles away from his homeland. But there is where God could prepare him for his prophetic ministry.

God will often call us out of our comfort zone. Many times we will have preconceived notions of what we think God wants us to do. However, His plan for our lives may be totally different. God may be calling you to a foreign mission field or to your hometown. The important thing is to let Him do the calling. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto Me, to bear My Name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for My Name's sake (Acts 9:15-16).

In a vision, this prophet of God beheld . . . the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy (Ezek. 8:2-3). The idol had been placed in the inner court of the Temple near the north gate.

Immediately after Ezekiel beheld the image of jealousy, the glory of the God of Israel was gone (9:3). Failure to honor God and adhere to His Word always opens the way for something to replace Him and His Word. These substitutes are not always what you expect. Anything that becomes more important than God in your life can fall in this category. It becomes easier to turn our backs to God when we tell ourselves that the things we are doing are legitimate. These substitutes for God and His Word may be drugs, alcohol, or other devices of the devil. However, they may also include normal life activities like work, family activities, and hobbies. Nothing can replace God in our lives. Anything that does becomes sin. As long as people cling to their false gods, the Lord will be as deaf to their cries as are the idols to which they cling. But the child of faith is confident that God can use him for His service even under the most adverse circumstances.

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God (Rom. 6:13).

Thought for Today:

To honor God and His Word is the highest privilege of every Christian.
Christ Portrayed:

By the man clothed in linen (Ezek. 9:2-11) who represents Christ as High Priest, marking His people to be spared from the flaming sword of vengeance. Seeing then that we have a great High Priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast (firmly) our profession (confession) (Heb. 4:14; also Rev. 7:2-3).
Word Studies:

5:16 staff, supply; 6:4 images, idols; 7:26 ancients, aged; 8:12 chambers of his imagery, shrine of his own carved idol.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Sen. Jim DeMint (SC) • Country: Spain (39.6 million) in southwestern Europe • Major languages: Castilian Spanish and Catalan • Limited religious freedom • 85% Roman Catholicism; 1% Islam; .5% Protestant; .5% Jehovah's Witness; 13% Other (Mormon, Jewish, Secular Humanist) • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers with a spirit of thankfulness and praise to the Lord (Ps. 79:13).
Optional Reading: Revelation 7

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:2-3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezekiel 10 – 13
Highlights:

Visions of the altar fire; judgment upon lying leaders; captivity near.
Then the glory of the Lord departed from off the threshold of the house . . . And the glory of the Lord went up from the midst of the city, and stood upon the mountain which is on the east side of the city (Ezek. 10:18; 11:23).

The Israelites had turned to various forms of idol worship and God would no longer dwell in their midst. Just like Israel, we may also turn our confidence and dependence to other things or people besides God. This process does not happen overnight. It is a common thing to seek counsel from someone we respect and look for guidance in other places besides God and His Word. But when we study the Word of God, we find that leaning on other things separates us from God. It should be the world from which we separate. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you (II Cor. 6:17).

In a vision, Ezekiel saw the glory of the Lord (Ezek. 10:18) depart from over the Holy of Holies and move slowly toward the exit of the Temple. Finally, His presence departed from the city and went to the Mount of Olives, lingering there for a while, as if waiting to see if Israel would repent and return to Him. But no one seemed to recognize that the Lord had withdrawn His presence from their midst.

It is amazing how far away from God our lives can be and yet we still deceive ourselves into thinking everything is fine. If we turn our backs on God, or place our trust on other things, we can't expect God to always be there whenever we are ready to meet Him. He is not a slave to mankind in that we can do anything we want, and expect Him to have His blessings on it. We cannot expect to live our lives serving our own carnal desires and still think we are serving God. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24). We must make God the sole Master of our lives and serve Him only.

Israel lost their most precious possession — the presence of the Lord. They could no longer say: In Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore (Ps. 16:11).

May it not be said of you or me: This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoureth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me (Matt. 15:8).

Thought for Today:

Unless we are submissive to God's Word, worship is empty and useless.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who gives a new Spirit (Ezek. 11:19). This is the promise fulfilled when we accept Jesus as Savior and Lord of our lives. God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts (Gal. 4:4-7).
Word Studies:

12:3 stuff for removing, belongings to take into exile; 12:23 effect of every vision, fulfillment, every prophecy will come to pass; 13:9 upon, against; 13:18 women that sew pillows to all armholes, false prophetesses who sew magic charms upon the wrists of garments; 13:21 kerchiefs, veils; 13:23 divine divinations, practice witchcraft visions.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Donna Bell • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Rep. John W. Olver (MA) • Country: Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) (19 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern tip of India • Major languages: Sinhala and Tamil • Christianity suppressed • 69% Buddhist; 15% Hindu; 8% Christian (mostly Catholic); 7% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Cry out to God daily for mercy (Ps. 86:3).
Optional Reading: Revelation 8

Memory Verse for the Week: James 1:2-3

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk