Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 1 – 3
Highlights:

Jeremiah's call; his message to sinful Judah; prosperity; present apostasy, resulting in idolatry; Judah entreated to repent.
My people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit. Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this . . . For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me the Fountain of Living Waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water (Jer. 2:11-13).

Israel, the only people in the world who had received a revelation of God and His will, was the very nation that exchanged their God for that which doth not profit. What an astounding example of ingratitude and rejection of God! Their sin was in rejecting the real for the unreal. Time after time, we read in God's Word how His people turned their backs on Him. They had seen God move on their behalf in wondrous ways, yet they continually looked in other directions for their help. Foolishness, we might say, but we are often found doing the same thing. God answered our prayers in times past. However, like Israel, other times we do not ask. Pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

In the desert climate of Palestine, water was the first necessity of human existence. Men fought and died over wells. No man in his right mind would leave an artesian well where there was a great supply of water to dig his own well and just hope for some miraculous spring of water. We would consider such a man foolish indeed. God was their spring of water; yet, they deserted Him.

This is also a picture of many who reject the Bible as the Fountain of Living Waters (Jer. 2:13). Many have turned to the easy-to-read substitutes written by men, but many of them are little more than cisterns that can hold no water (2:13) compared to the Word of God. Many writings of men may be helpful in life, but they cannot be a substitute for actually reading the Word of God for one's self. There is no substitute for the Bible. The words on its pages are alive. If we allow it, the Bible will become part of us. Its words will become branded on our heart as we study them with an open mind and heart. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth (II Tim. 2:15).

But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14).

Thought for Today:

God's Word reveals the difference between error and Truth.
Christ Revealed:

As the Fountain of Living Waters (Jer.2:13). Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink (John 7:37-38; also 4:1-26).
Word Studies:

2:3 offend, be held guilty; 2:14 spoiled, laid waste, plundered; 2:18 Sihor, the Nile River; the river, the Euphrates; 2:31 lords, independent; 2:33 trimmest . . . thy way to seek love, do good (as a show to impress) to get love; 3:2 been lien with, acted like a prostitute; 3:9 lightness, shameless behavior; 3:10 feignedly, deceptively.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Official: Rep. Louise M. Slaughter (NY) • Country: Qatar (600,000) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Muslim conversion to Christ is forbidden, but expatriate Christians are allowed to meet informally • 79.5% Muslim; 10.5% Christian; 7.2% Hindu; 1.8% Buddhist; .9% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for guiding you to sacrifice freely for what pleases Him (Ps. 54:6).
Optional Reading: I Peter 4

Memory Verse for the Week: Isaiah 55:11

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 4 – 6
Highlights:

God's call to Israel; Jeremiah's lamentations for Judah; spiritual and civil corruption; destruction of Judah.
But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart . . . The prophets prophesy falsely . . . and My people love to have it so (Jer. 5:23,31).

The small kingdom of Judah faithfully worshiped God at the Temple in Jerusalem for many years; but eventually, like Israel, the people turned to idolatry. In today's society, it seems we want a god that we can see, feel, and touch, even though the real God has proven Himself over and over.

King Josiah and some of the people did that which was right in the sight of the Lord (II Kin. 22:1-2). But most of the nation disregarded God's Word, and the Babylonian armies soon destroyed them. There is no way a nation, church, family, or even individual can survive if they disregard the Word of God. The Word is our Guide Book and road map giving instructions for the life of a follower of Christ. If we want to live in a way that shows forth Jesus Christ through our lives, we must have a daily relationship with the Word of God. Without the Word of God in our lives, we become easy prey to our enemies, our flesh, the world, and the devil. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

In Jeremiah's last message of hope to the nation of Judah, he said there was only one way of escape: O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved (Jer. 4:14). But they ignored his message.

Many Christians today have gone for days, and even weeks, neglecting their fellowship with God. His message of rebuke is that My people have forgotten Me days without number (2:32). They do not pray. They turn their backs on the Word of God. They stop attending church. They go through their daily lives none the wiser. Sometimes, they have no sense of how long it has been since their thoughts turned to the things of God. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins (II Pet. 1:9). But there is a way back. The Lord said: Turn, O backsliding children (Jer. 3:14).

The Lord knoweth them that are His. And, Let every one that nameth the Name of Christ depart from iniquity (II Tim. 2:19).

Thought for Today:

God forgives those who confess and forsake their sins.
Christ Portrayed:

By Jeremiah, whom God commissioned to reveal His Truth (Jer. 4:2). Jesus shall one day judge all mankind with His Truth (Ps. 96:13; John 5:22). Jesus said: To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the Truth. Every one that is of the Truth heareth My voice (John 18:37).
Word Studies:

4:6 retire, stay not, go in haste to take refuge, don't delay; 4:22 sottish, devoid of spiritual understanding; 5:10 battlements, branches; 5:13 wind, full of words, but speaking nothing from God; 5:30 wonderful, monstrous, shocking; 6:30 reprobate silver, rejected, despised, trash.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville, TN • Government Officials: Rep. Maxine Waters (CA), Rep. Judy Biggert (IL), Rep. Tom Marino (PA), Del. Eni F. H. Faleomavaega (American Samoa), and Assoc. Justice Stephen G. Breyer (US Supreme Court) • Country: Romania (22.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Hungarian • Freedom of worship • 69.5% Romanian Orthodox Church; 14% non-Religious/Other; 8% Protestant; 7% Catholic; 1% Muslim; .1% Jewish; .4% Marginal • Prayer Suggestion: Call upon the Lord and He will save you (Ps. 55:16).
Optional Reading: I Peter 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 7 – 10
Highlights:

Jeremiah's plea for repentance; punishment for Judah's rebellion; Jeremiah's mourning over the sins of his people; God and the idols.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps (Jer. 10:23).

The more we read the Bible, the more we realize that God's ways are not our ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts (Is. 55:9).

The more time we spend with a person, the more we become familiar with their way of thinking and doing things. The same is true in our relationship with God. It is only as we become familiar with God's Word that we can more clearly discern His will for our daily lives. That is why the Word of God must become part of our lives on a daily basis. We must read and study it every single day. Blessed is the man. . . . his delight is in the Law of the Lord; and in His Law doth he meditate day and night (Ps. 1:1-2). Victory for the child of God is found in God's Word. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death (Rev. 12:11).

Jeremiah saw himself as a "child." Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child (Jer. 1:6). Most of us feel we are too "grown up;" we know too many answers. We are like the biblical people of Jerusalem, resting in a false sense of security. We have every convenience in the world at our disposal. We have running water, electricity, television, the internet, and a stocked refrigerator. It is easy to get comfortable and forget our need for God. Sometimes, we act like children who ask and expect to get everything they ask for. We reach out to our Heavenly Father, asking for more and more. Instead we should seek wisdom. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God . . . and it shall be given him (James 1:5).

Even with all our technological advances, it is just as true today as it was when God spoke through Jeremiah, that, it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps (Jer. 10:23).

Unless we are guided by God's Word, it may appear that we have an answer to prayer because we were able to "physically" accomplish the task we "prayed about." But in reality, we didn't really seek to discern God's will in the matter.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (I Cor. 2:14).

Thought for Today:

God reveals His ways through His Word.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who demanded a cleansed Temple (Jer. 7:1-11). Jesus cleansed the Temple and said: My House shall be called of all nations the House of Prayer (Mark 11:17).
Word Studies:

7:15 the whole seed of Ephraim, all the people of the Northern Kingdom; 7:33 fray, frighten; 9:7 melt them, and try them, refine them by testing with affliction; 10:22 noise of the bruit, sound of a rumor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Rick A. Berg (ND) and Rep. Earl Blumenauer (OR) • Country: Russia (146.5 million) northeastern Europe and northern Asia • Major language: Russian • Religious freedom • 55% Russian Orthodox; 9% Muslim; 1% Protestant (Baptist, Pentecostal); .8% Shamanist/Animist; .6% Buddhist; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% New Religions (e.g., Hare Krishna); .4% Jewish; .1% Old Believers; 32.1% Agnostics/Atheists/Others • Prayer Suggestion: Pray at all times (Ps. 55:17).
Optional Reading: II Peter 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 11 – 14

Highlights:

Jeremiah's proclamation of God's Covenant; plot against Jeremiah; lesson from the marred linen girdle; complaint against the lying prophets.
Thus saith the Lord, After this manner will I mar the pride of Judah, and the great pride of Jerusalem. This evil people, which refuse to hear My words . . . shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing (Jer. 13:9-10).

The Hebrew man wore a long, loose tunic (dress-like garment) which reached almost to his ankles. The girdle was a sash-like belt that was an essential article of clothing to be worn around his waist when they were running or working. The girdle symbolized readiness for service.

The nation of Judah rejected the Word of God as spoken by His prophet, Jeremiah. God warned that, because of their unbelief, He would mar . . . the great pride of Jerusalem (13:9). They had become useless as His witnesses to the world. God illustrated this by telling Jeremiah to bury a linen girdle near Babylon, about 250 miles from Jerusalem, where they would be taken as slaves. (Linen was a symbol of righteousness.)

After the girdle had decayed, Jeremiah was directed to dig it up and take it to Jerusalem, illustrating that Judah's unrighteous condition made the nation unworthy to be God's servants. As the girdle was buried, the kingdom of Judah would be "buried." — worthless captives for 70 years — until they could see the rottenness of their idol worship. Then God would command their return to Jerusalem.

We need to be listening when God is trying to communicate with us. Sometimes, He speaks to us through His Word and other times by His servants. We need to open our spirits to hearing from God. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches (Rev. 3:6).

Many times we have to go through hard times like Israel to learn that we are not doing the right thing in the sight of God. It takes these tribulations to open our eyes to how we have fallen short of a Christ-filled life. Our heavenly Father does this to correct His children. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world (I Cor. 11:32).

Pride deceives the heart (Jer. 49:16), hardens the mind (Dan. 5:20), is an abomination to God (Prov. 16:5), and allows one to fall into the condemnation of the devil (I Tim. 3:6).

Be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble (I Pet. 5:5).

Thought for Today:

Pride blinds one from submitting to God's authority over him.
Christ Revealed:

As the Hope of Israel, the Saviour (Jer. 14:8). Christ is the only Hope of all mankind. Looking for that blessed Hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13).
Word Studies:

11:15 wrought lewdness, done evil things; 11:23 visitation, judgment; 12:2 reins, heart; 13:22 skirts discovered . . . heels made bare, fine clothes torn off as you are driven into exile, barefoot (comp. Nah. 3:5).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. David E. Price (NC) • Country: Rwanda (7 million) in central Africa • Major languages: Kinyarwanda and French • Religious freedom • 80% Christian; 10.5% Muslim; 4.5% non-Religious/Other; 4% Traditional ethnic; .2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Rejoice that He has promised to sustain us at all times (Ps. 55:22).
Optional Reading: II Peter 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 15 – 18
Highlights:

Jeremiah's prayer; signs of coming captivity; lesson from the potter; God's absolute power over nations.
Then I went down to the potter's house . . . And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. . . . O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? (Jer. 18:3-4,6).

The potter was not satisfied with the first vessel. The clay may not have been the right consistency to retain the shape that the potter had in mind, so he reshaped it.

This is the story of God's chosen people. God is the Potter; Israel is the clay; history is the wheel. As a nation, Israel resisted the will of God and was miserably marred by sin. Praise be to God that He did not throw the clay away when it did not meet His first expectations. God still believed in His people though they had sinned against Him and turned their backs on Him. God allowed this vessel to be broken, but not completely destroyed. Therefore, the vessel — Israel — was broken by Assyria and the kingdom of Judah was taken to Babylon as slaves. After seventy years in exile, God made of the "same clay" yet another vessel as Ezra returned with a remnant of Jews and rebuilt the Temple.

The word remnant in the Bible is always a pleasure to find. We should rejoice over what it denotes. There is always a few who choose God over everything else. The majority may go the way of the world, but this group — the remnant — will continue to walk in the ways of God and His Word. This remnant can lead others, who before may have walked with the majority, to Jesus. For this cause have I sent you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church (I Cor. 4:17).

God wants our will to be as submissive to His will as the clay is in the potter's hands — as seemed good to the potter to make it (Jer. 18:4). The Master has a plan for your life as a vessel to honor Him. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

Every Christian is like an earthen vessel — the container for His good pleasure, and we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body, according to the working whereby He is able even to subdue all things unto Himself (Phil. 3:20-21).

Thought for Today:

It is for God's glory that we were created.
Christ Revealed:

By Jeremiah's words to God: Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart (Jer. 15:16). Jesus said: The words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are Life (John 6:63).
Word Studies:

15:1 toward, favorable to; 15:6 repenting, grieving over and giving you another chance; 17:10 try the reins, test the heart; 18:11 frame, prepare; 18:15 in a way not cast up, on paths of sin, not ways of righteousness and honor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX) and Sec'y. Timothy F. Geithner (Dept. of Treasury) • Country: Samoa (190,000) in the South Pacific • Major languages: Samoan and English • Religious freedom • 68% Protestant; 21% Roman Catholic; 2% Baha'i; 1.1% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: When you are afraid, have confidence in and rely upon the Lord (Ps. 56:3-4).
Optional Reading: II Peter 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 19 – 22
Highlights:

Jeremiah imprisoned; Pashur smiting Jeremiah; way of life and death presented.
Inquire, I pray thee, of the Lord for us: for Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon maketh war against us (Jer. 21:2).

King Zedekiah was afraid the Babylonian empire would soon destroy the little nation of Judah. Therefore, he sent Zephaniah and Pashur (not the same man who had earlier smote Jeremiah the prophet, and put him in the stocks — 20:2; comp. 20:1 with 21:1) to ask Jeremiah to pray that the Lord will deal with us according to all His wondrous works (21:2).

The king's inquiry sounded spiritual, but there was no indication that he desired to acknowledge God as the True King of Israel. Prayer does not necessarily indicate a spiritual relationship with God. Many pray seeking help only in their storms of life. They, however, have no desire to serve God or to walk in His ways. The first goal of our prayer should be to seek forgiveness. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee (Acts 8:22). The unbeliever often ignores this opportunity. Instead, he continues to walk in his own ways.

Jeremiah told the messengers to tell the king that God would not fight for him, but He would fight against him. Furthermore he said that King Zedekiah and his people would be defeated in battle and taken as slaves by Nebuchadnezzar.

Many would-be believers today are making the same mistake as King Zedekiah. They have gone to the right source for information and called upon the right God, but they are not truly seeking the Lord or His will. They want God to respond to their request. Any other answer will not satisfy them. They don't want a negative answer to their prayer. They refuse to comprehend that when God answers it does not always or automatically mean they get what they want. God does wants us to bring our needs and desires to Him. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God (Phil. 4:6). However, God does not want us to consider Him some mystical wishgranter. He will answer our prayers, but the answer may be no or wait. We must be willing, as His children, to accept the answer He gives.

That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God (I Cor. 2:5).

Thought for Today:

Reading only portions of Scripture we enjoy will not reveal the whole counsel of God.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who pronounces judgment upon those who refuse to obey His Word (Jer. 19:15). The Father . . . committed all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

19:3 his ears shall tingle, will be utterly stunned by the news; 19:9 straitness, anguish, distress; 20:3 Magor-missabib, terror on every side; 20:11 mighty terrible One, awe-inspiring One, heroic Champion.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Gov. Richard "Rick' Snyder (MI) • Country: San Marino (25,000) inside north-central Italy • Major language: Italian • Religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% atheist • Prayer Suggestion: Your prayers should be lifted up with confidence in God (Ps. 56:9,11).
Optional Reading:  I John 1

Memory Verse for the Week:  Psalms 18:2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 23 – 25

Highlights:

Restoration foretold; Christ's rule promised; good and bad figs; seventy years' captivity; destruction of Babylon foretold.
Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture! saith the Lord. . . . I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them (Jer. 23:1,4).

The word pastor was first used when referring to David because he was called from taking care of his father's sheep and anointed to be the shepherd-king over God's people.

Why did God choose David rather than his brothers? Perhaps because David risked his life on two occasions to save his father's sheep — once when they were being attacked by a lion and another time by a bear. He knew that he was accountable to his father for the care of the sheep. But more than this, he loved his sheep.

Mankind is often referred to as sheep. Jesus called himself the Good Shepherd (John 10:11). A shepherd will lay down their life to protect his flock. He said: I lay down my life for the sheep. . . . and they shall hear my voice (10:15-16). David had a great love for God's people as well. Likewise, we must strive for a great sacrificial love for others. This is exceedingly important if we hope to serve God in any capacity. Serving God means serving those whom God loves so much, mankind. If we love God we will be willing to serve in this way. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou Me? And he said unto Him, Lord, Thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love Thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed My sheep (John 21:17).

We also have a place of service in God's plan for caring for His sheep. If we are truly concerned over the spiritual welfare of others, the Holy Spirit will guide us in our giving, praying, and our serving. We must listen for the voice of God to direct us into this place of service. God has a particular work set aside for each one of us. He has chosen a special individualized office in the Body of Christ for you and for me. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues (I Cor. 12:28). There are many opportunities to serve in the work of the church and mission organizations that it should not be difficult to find a chance to use your gifts for the Lord.

Feed the flock of God which is among you (I Pet. 5:2).

Thought for Today:

When we put God first in our lives, He will take care of our needs.
Christ Revealed:

AsThe Lord Our Righteousness (Jer. 23:5-6). Of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption (I Cor. 1:30; also II Cor. 5:21).
Word Studies:

23:10 adulterers, forsakers of God for the false gods; because of swearing, because of the curse of God upon it; 23:32 lightness, vain boasting; 25:34 fall like a pleasant vessel, break like a valuable vessel; 25:38 covert, hiding place.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Government Officials: Rep. Kathy Castor (FL), Rep. Ruben E. Hinojosa (TX), and Rep. Ron Paul (TX) • Country: Sao Tome and Principe (155,000) two larger and several smaller islands in the Gulf of Guinea, 125 miles off the western coast of Africa • Major language: Portuguese • Religious freedom is fairly new • 83% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant; 2% animist • Prayer Suggestion: Rely upon the Lord at all times; He is your refuge (Ps. 62:8).
Optional Reading: I John 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 18:2
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 26 – 28

Highlights:

Jeremiah's arrest; subjection to Nebuchadnezzar foretold; Hananiah's false prophecy; his death.
Then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth (Jer. 26:6).

About twenty-two years before the first attack on Jerusalem, God commanded Jeremiah to speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the Lord's house at Jerusalem (26:2). He warned that this house (the Temple) would be left as empty as Shiloh, the city where Joshua had set up the Tabernacle when they first entered the promised land (Jos. 18:1). But God forsook the Tabernacle of Shiloh because of the nation's persistent sins (Ps. 78:60). In Jeremiah's time, Shiloh was nothing but empty ruins — a reminder of the nation's sins (Jer. 7:12-14).

There are normally places and things to remind us of good times and bad times. The memorials that remind us of the good times should be looked on to remind us that God worked in our lives in times past. If He did it then, He will do it again. Likewise, ruins remind us of the dark times. Mistakes made should not be repeated. So, let God work anew in your life. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17).

After Jeremiah faithfully delivered God's message — I will make this house like Shiloh — he was arrested and all the people were gathered against Jeremiah in the House of the Lord (Jer. 26:9). The priests and the prophets said: This man is worthy to die; for he hath prophesied against this city, as ye have heard with your ears (26:11).

The popular crowd seldom has the leading of God. If we choose to walk in the path that our Lord chose, we may find ourselves standing alone. The path of the cross is not crowded. We often say that the right way is not the way of the majority. Serving God can sometimes be a lonely thing. You might find that you were the only one in a group that stood for God and His Word. In these times, it is important to remember, we are never truly alone. God is always with us. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5). If you make a stand for God, He will stand with you.

If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him (II Tim. 2:12).

Thought for Today:

God enables us to be faithful to Him even when facing opposition.
Christ Portrayed:

By Jeremiah, who was falsely accused by the priests and the false prophets (Jer. 26:8-9). Our Lord was also threatened and falsely accused by the religious rulers of His day. The elders . . . and the chief priests and the scribes. . . . began to accuse Him, saying, We found this Fellow perverting (misleading) the nation, and forbidding to give tribute (pay taxes) to Caesar, saying that He Himself is Christ a King (Luke 22:66 — 23:2; also John 8:48,59).
Word Study:

26:14 meet, right; 27:19 the sea, the bronze laver at which the priests cleansed their hands and feet before entering the Temple; residue, remainder.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Tim Griffin (AR) and Sen. Jon Tester (MT) • Country: Saudi Arabia (20.9 million) on the Arabian Peninsula in southwestern Asia • Major language: Arabic • Christian worship services for foreign personnel are tolerated, but those who seek to convert Muslims to Christianity face persecution • 86% Sunni (Wahabi) Muslim; 10% Shi'ite Muslim; 1% Ismaili Muslim; 3% Others (including 600,000 Christians and some Hindus and Buddhists) • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His love (Ps. 63:3).
Optional Reading: I John 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 29 – 31
Highlights:

Letters to captives in Babylon; Jews' deliverance foretold; full restoration of all things foretold.
And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the Lord for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace (Jer. 29:7).

Jeremiah prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem, the slavery of the people, and their return to Jerusalem after seventy years of captivity.

Jeremiah taught the people how to react to their situation during their captivity — not by stirring up a useless revolt nor by sitting down in sullen despondency. He showed them a better way: Seek the peace — that is, be content and seek the best interest of the oppressor — for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.

Some Christians are irritable and dissatisfied with their circumstances and are waiting for a time in the future to really enjoy living. Perhaps they are waiting until they get another promotion, recover from an illness, have a better home, or are retired. But they are always waiting for release from their present situation — often with bitter resentment.

Who really lives in perfect circumstances in this world? There are very few who believe they do. We should live content with the blessings God has placed on our lives. Don't let the enemy cloud your vision so much that you are blinded to the things that God has done for you. If you have a roof over your head and a meal on your table, you are better off than the majority of the world.

God loves His children and answers their prayers. And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you (Luke 11:9). Don't allow circumstances to rob you of what God has done for you. Instead, choose to be a blessing to others because God has blessed you so much. There are people all around that need help. Many need a friend. Others may just need to hear that God loves them. Maybe someone you have been at odds with would like peace in the situation. We need to return to others what God has done for us even if the people we are blessing have done us wrong. For God has blessed us even though we have sinned against Him. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matt. 5:44).

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you (Matt. 6:14).

Thought for Today:

Those who seek the peace of others find it for themselves.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who forgives sin (Jer. 31:34). That ye may know that the Son of Man hath power (authority) on earth to forgive sins, (then saith He to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go (Matt. 9:6; comp. John 8:10-11).
Word Studies:

29:11 an expected end, a hopeful future; 29:23 have committed villany, have done disgraceful things; 30:21 engaged, pledged; 31:14 satiate, fully satisfy; 31:21 high heaps, road signs (pointing back to Israel).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Officials: Rep. Cory Gardner (CO), Rep. Thaddeus G. McCotter (MI), and Rep. Trey Gowdy (SC) • Country: Senegal (10 million) in western Africa • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 92% Muslim; 4% animism and ancestor worship; 3% Roman Catholic; .1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your hands in surrender and praise as you pray (Ps. 63:4).
Optional Reading: I John 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Jeremiah 32 – 33
Highlights:

Jeremiah's imprisonment; glorious return promised to the captives; Christ, the Branch of righteousness, promised.
Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for Me? Therefore thus saith the Lord; Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans, and into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and he shall take it (Jer. 32:27-28).

The final attack on Jerusalem began in the ninth year of Zedekiah's reign. But as Pharaoh's Egyptian army approached, the Chaldean armies temporarily withdrew (37:5). Almost everyone in Jerusalem expected Egypt to provide deliverance and bring about a victory; but Jeremiah persistently declared that the Chaldeans would conquer them (37:7-8).

Finally, Jeremiah was imprisoned for prophesying Jerusalem's defeat by Nebuchadnezzar, but rejecting the Word of God does not alter it (34:1-7). The Word of God is unchanging. Man can try to rewrite it, burn every copy or anything else he wants, but God's Word will live on in the hearts of those who love God. Governments can imprison the servants and prophets of God, but that will not silence them. Many have and will be executed for proclaiming the Word of God to the world. God will raise up others to take their place on the frontlines for God. But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto you (I Pet. 1:25).

Because of Judah's willful sin, the prophet had foretold: ye shall not prosper (Jer. 32:5). Failure followed their every effort and scheme. Their success could not come from well-laid plans, but in humbly turning to God who said: Is there any thing too hard for Me? (32:27). Indeed, nothing is too hard or too difficult for Him to accomplish through us who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Rom. 8:1).

The world will often turn to every other recourse before it turns to God. The answer to life's problems will never be found in the wisdom and knowledge of men. Those answers are only available from God. It is in Him that we find the direction to walk, help in making decisions, and guidance through life's storms. He leads us in our walk of faith. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the Throne of God (Heb. 12:2). If we allow Him, Christ will not only start the good work of our lives, but He will see it through to the end.

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us (Rom. 8:37).

Thought for Today:

Sin brings grief and bondage; Christ brings peace and freedom.
Christ Portrayed:

By Jeremiah who, even though he was in prison, acted as a kinsman-redeemer by purchasing the land of his cousin Hanameel (Jer. 32:6-14; Lev. 25:25,49; Ruth 2:20; 3:12-13). Jesus is our Kinsman-Redeemer who purchased our freedom from sin, hell, and the grave with His own blood on Calvary (I Cor. 6:20; Gal. 4:4-5; Titus 2:13-14; Heb. 13:12; Rev. 1:18).
Word Study:

32:4 mouth to mouth, face to face; 32:10 evidence, deed; 32:25 for (second usage), even though; 32:44 subscribe evidences, sign deeds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Official: Gov. William Edward "Bill" Haslam (TN) • Country: Serbia and Montenegro (11 million) on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Religious conflict • 41% Serbian/Montenegrin/Macedonian Orthodox; 33% Catholic; 11% Muslim; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: All men need to pray to the Lord, who hears prayers (Ps. 65:2).
Optional Reading: I John 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk