Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 108 – 118
Highlights:

David's praise to God for His sovereignty over nations; prayer for judgment upon the wicked; appeals to praise the Lord; prophecy concerning Christ.
Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in His Commandments (Ps. 112:1).

The words, the fear of God (Gen. 20:11), characterize the prophets of the Old Testament. This fear of God is the foundation for the more abundant life of the New Testament.

It is one of the great promises foretold by the prophet Jeremiah: And I will make an everlasting Covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from Me (Jer. 32:40).

A New Testament example of this is found in Acts 9:31: Then had the churches rest . . . and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

A reverential fear of God creates love for Him. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in His Commandments (Ps. 112:1). This love of God comes from knowing He is all powerful and has control of everything. At the sound of His voice, worlds are created and destroyed. That is how great and fearful our God is. However, also at the sound of His voice, life is given to the smallest of creatures. That shows us the extent to which God's love reaches out. The world has no understanding of this kind of love. Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew Him not (I John 3:1).

This reverence of God is an essential part of the life of a Christian who desires to live and please God. We are told: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction (Prov. 1:7).We must give God the honor and glory He deserves if we expect to walk uprightly in His ways. Without doing this, we can never hope to truly please God. Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him (Ps. 33:8). He is Almighty (47:7); All Powerful (Josh. 4:23-24); Majestic (Jer. 10:7); Judge/Justice (Rev. 14:7); Holy (15:4). He is full of blessings (Ps. 67:7); goodness (I Sam. 12:24); and forgiveness (Ps. 130:4).

Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear (Heb. 12:28).

Thought for Today:

God is ever-present and nothing escapes His all-seeing eye.
Christ Revealed:

Christ quoted Psalm 118:22: The Stone which the builders refused (rejected) — to the chief priests and the Pharisees when they willfully rejected Him as the Messiah (Matt. 21:42-45).
Word Studies:

108:7 mete, measure; 109:23 declineth, fades away; 111:7 verity and judgment, truth and justice; 112:9 horn, strength, power; 114:8 standing, pool of; 116:3 compassed me, surrounded me, entangled me; 118:13 thrust sore at me that I might fall, pressed me to the point of collapse.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Susana Martinez (NM), Rep. Barbara J. Lee (CA), and Rep. Tom Latham (IA) • Country: Maldives (300,000) 400 miles southwest of Sri Lanka • Major languages: Divehi and English • Christian witnessing is banned • 99.9% Muslim; .1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the guidance of God in meekness (Ps. 25:9).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:7

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 119
Highlights:

The greatness, power, and perfection of God's Word.
With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments (Ps. 119:10).

After the psalmist said: With my whole heart have I sought thee, he prayerfully acknowledged his weakness: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments. Isaiah prayed: The desire of our soul is to Thy Name . . . With my soul . . . will I seek Thee early (Is. 26:8-9). As we seek the Lord with our whole heart, we can rest assured that He can and will keep us from wandering from His Commandments. God will establish in our hearts the determination to walk in His pathways and follow His Commandments. If we seek Him with our whole hearts, He will order our steps and illuminate the direction that we need to walk.

Notice how in Psalms, the writer speaks of the whole heart: Blessed are they . . . that seek Him with the whole heart. . . . I shall keep Thy Law . . . with my whole heart. . . . I will keep Thy precepts with my whole heart. . . . I cried with my whole heart (Ps. 119:2,34,69,145). David sought the Lord, observed His Law, and prayed for His help — all with his whole heart.

If we are not seeking after godly things with our whole hearts, when we do reach out to God we will be holding something back from Him. If we don't observe God's Law with our whole heart, part of our heart will be drawn away to evil and not follow the Law entirely. If we don't pray with our whole hearts, we will never really reach God with our prayers. And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole Burnt Offerings and Sacrifices (Mark 12:33).

How necessary it is when praying, reading God's Word, or seeking His will, that we be able to say: With my whole heart have I sought Thee (Ps. 119:10). This is so essential in order to please God and be sure He will move on the petitions we bring before Him. Jesus saith unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great Commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and prophets (Matt. 22:37-40).

Oh how I love Thy Law! it is my meditation all the day (Ps. 119:97).

Thought for Today:

God has no greater joy than to see His children walk in Truth.
Christ Revealed:

By the psalmist who delighted in the Commandments of God (Ps. 119: 47). Christ said: I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me (John 6:38; 15:10).
Word Studies:

119:1 undefiled, blameless; 119:7 uprightness of heart, sincere intentions; 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust, I am very discouraged; quicken thou me, restore my life; 119:28 melteth for heaviness, is weary because of grief; 119:83 am become like a bottle in the smoke, shrivel like a wineskin in the smoke.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL), Rep. Daniel W. Lipinski (IL), Rep. David N. Cicilline (RI), and Rep. Mac Thornberry (TX) • Country: Mali (10 million) in West Africa • Major languages: French and Bambara • Religious freedom despite Muslim majority • 81% Muslim; 17% animism and spirit worship; 2% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to forgive your sins (Ps. 25:11).
Optional Reading: I Timothy 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:8
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 120 – 131

Highlights:

Safety of the godly; blessings of trusting in God.
I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His Word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning (Ps. 130:5-6).

There is an unusual emphasis in the repetition, I say, more than they that watch for the morning. It shows the importance of waiting on the Lord — looking to Him to supply our every need. He clearly tells us He is totally sufficient. But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).

The watchman on the walls of Jerusalem was obligated to stay awake. His responsibility was to alert others in case the enemy attacked the city. If he failed in his responsibility, it could cost everything. An enemy could attack the city without warning. The city would be completely vulnerable. You and I are called by God to be watchmen. We must alert our families, our churches and ourselves that the enemy, the devil, is on the attack. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up (Matt. 24:43).

With far more alertness and concern than that of a night watchman, the psalmist urged the Israelites to place their full confidence and trust in God: Let Israel hope in the Lord (Ps. 130:7). We should place our dependence completely upon Him and not anyone else. Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29).

It is a natural tendency to depend upon one's own resources or the strength of others, as did the Israelites when they sought help from Egypt. But those who value the Lord's blessing will have faith like that of the psalmist, living in full confidence that God will fulfill His Word. The Word of God is our place of refuge when we are under attack by the enemy. It is in His Word, that we find true safety and security remembering who the Word of God is. Jesus is the Word become flesh (John 1:14). He has given us the ultimate protection as we are instructed by Paul to put on the whole armour of God which is Jesus. He is our Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and the Word (Eph. 6:13-17). It is in Him and only in Him that we will truly find rest.

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him: fret not thyself because of him . . . who bringeth wicked devices to pass (Ps. 37:7).

Thought for Today:

Happy are those who commit everything to Christ, knowing He chooses better for us than we can choose for ourselves.
Christ Revealed:

As our Protector — the One who shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in (Ps. 121:8). By Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture (John 10:9). And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly Kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen (II Tim. 4:18).
Word Studies:

130:3 mark, record; 130:4 feared, reverenced with awe; 131:1 exercise, concern; too high for me, far beyond me.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Mike D. Rogers (AL), Rep. Donald M. Payne (NJ), and Rep. Tim J. Ryan (OH) • Country: Malta (388,000) about 60 miles south of Sicily • Major languages: Maltese and English • Religious freedom • 97% Christian; 1.7% non-Religious/other; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Declare the wondrous works of God with thanksgiving (Ps. 26:6-7).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 132 – 138

Highlights:

God's faithfulness; praising God for past and present blessings.
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! (Ps. 133:1).

The Israelites went to Jerusalem at least three times a year to worship, singing this Psalm as they went.

There were many types of people on the road to Jerusalem, but they had one thing in common — they were all on their way to the City of God to worship Jehovah.

It is just as true today as it was for the Israelites that those who are members of the family of God should live in peace with one another. This unity comes from the pleasant harmony that is the peace of God as we allow it to touch our lives. Jesus tells us that as we are gathered together in My (His) Name, He is in the midst (Matt. 18:19-20).

All believers in Christ, regardless of nationality, education, or wealth, are redeemed by the same Savior, love the same Master, and are all looking forward to living together forever with Christ in the same Eternal City. There is one Body, and one Spirit . . . One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all (Eph. 4:4-6). Surely, these common Christian values can unite us above and beyond those little things that might become obstacles to divide us and to tear us down. Let us purpose to agree together on things that matter from the Truth of the Word of God. God's Word brings unity to His people. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ (Eph. 4:13).

Surely the prayer of Christ should cause us to greatly desire to fulfill His will in all of us: Holy Father, keep through Thine Own Name those whom Thou hast given Me, that they may be one, as we are (John 17:11).

Since all Christians experience similar trials, temptations, and sorrows, we are to encourage one another in love; Endeavouring (trying earnestly) to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph. 4:2-3). We should be constantly strengthening each other through prayer, fellowship and counsel. There is great power when believers unite all with one accord (Acts 2:1). Often that which seems impossible can be accomplished when brethren come together for a special cause. Then we truly walk together as the family of God. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do (I Thess. 5:11).

Thought for Today:

Unity of believers may be compared to a great orchestra — many instruments, and yet, perfect harmony.
Christ Revealed:

As the Descendant of David, who would sit upon David's throne (Ps. 132:11). He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His father David (Luke 1:32; Acts 2:29-30).
Word Studies:

132:6 Ephratah, the district in which Bethlehem was located; 132:11 fruit, offspring; 132:17 horn, authority, power; bud, flourish; 135:4 Jacob . . . His peculiar treasure, the people of God are God's own possession; 135:14 will repent Himself concerning His servants, will have compassion upon His people; 136:12 a stretched out arm, mighty power; 137:3 wasted, plundered; 137:4 strange, foreign; 137:7 Rase, Overthrow, Destroy, Demolish.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Mary Kay Wagner • Country: Mauritania (2.6 million) in western Africa • Major language: Hasaniya Arabic • Islamic state with no mission work allowed • 99+% Muslim (predominantly Sunni); .2% Christian (predominantly foreigners) • Prayer Suggestion: Seek the Lord in times of trouble; He will shelter you (Ps. 27:5).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 139 – 143
Highlights:

The all-seeing providence of God; David's prayer of deliverance from Saul; comfort in prayer; David's prayer for mercy in judgment.
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Ps. 139:23-24).

The psalmist prayed to the great Revealer of hearts. He was aware that everything in his life, both past and present, was an open book to God, and he knew that it was next to impossible for him to see all the evils of his own heart. But the Lord wants us to know that He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:27).

The psalmist's prayer expresses a sincere willingness to forsake anything in his life that would hinder his prayer or would be opposed to God's principles. He knew, as did Jeremiah, that it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps (Jer. 10:23), so he prayed: Lead me in the way everlasting (Ps. 139:24). There was a desire to be more godly in his heart. Likewise, in our hearts, we should have a desire to be more like God in the way we live our lives — even if this means changing our way of life. As we sincerely seek the Lord's leading that we may personally be more Christ-like in all our ways it could affect our family relations, our jobs, our friendships, and eventually all aspects of our life. In doing this, we begin to invest more in God's Kingdom than our own self-interests and secular influences. We can totally rely on God's promise: But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33).

The writer declared his hatred for the wicked ways of sinners and was grieved with those that rise up against Thee (Ps. 139:21). He knew that it is human nature to hate the sins of others and overlook one's own faults. We may never realize the evil in our heart until we pray, as did the psalmist: Search me, O God, and know my heart (139:23). The psalmist realized that God was everywhere and knew all he thought or said (139:3-5). His desire was that God would not see him as the sinner he was, but would see him clothed in the righteousness of God's Son, Jesus.

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? The answer? Only God (Jer. 17:9).

Thought for Today:

Any habit or interest that lowers our resistance to evil must be abandoned.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who deals bountifully with us (Ps. 142:7). I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10; Eph. 3:20).
Word Studies:

139:15 curiously wrought, skillfully fashioned; 140:5 gins, lures, snares; 141:7 Our bones are scattered, Overwhelming destruction is contemplated; 143:3 smitten, crushed, struck.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Mike Coffman (CO) • Country: Mauritius (1 million) 500 miles east of Madagascar • Major languages: English and Creole • Limited religious freedom • 50% Hindu; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% Muslim; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to teach you His ways (Ps. 27:11).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Psalms 144 – 150
Highlights:

David's praise for God's mercy and goodness; benefit of trusting in God; all creation to praise the Lord.
The Lord is nigh unto them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth (Ps. 145:18).

The psalmist often called upon God in prayer because he had the assurance of God's nearness. The secret to this assurance was that he loved God's Word and prayed according to His will. It is often tempting to pray for our desires and then leave it at that. However, we should do our utmost to have our prayers be in right standing before God. So, we should model our prayers in every way possible to how Jesus prayed. And He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt (Matt. 26:39).

God sometimes allows His people to go through trials in order to make them realize how incapable we are and the necessity of expressing our needs to Him. He answers prayers and delights to hear us pray. Therefore there is no need to hold our prayers back from God. No matter how big or how small the need might seem, God wants us to bring that need to Him. Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of His goodness, and the work of faith with power (II Thess. 1:11).

Since some Christians spend so little time reading God's Word, they are not aware of the power of prayer. One of the greatest keys to successful praying is: Pray without ceasing (I Thess. 5:17). This doesn't mean we are on our knees 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. It does mean we are in a constant state of open communication with God. We can and should talk to God all the time. However, we should not only talk, but we should listen as well. If there is a need to be prayed, we pray for it. He is waiting for us to pray. We can pray while driving down the road or ironing a shirt or working in a machine shop; we can be letting the Lord use us to release His blessings through our prayers to meet needs anywhere in the world. It is Christ . . . who also makes intercession for us (Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25). Our prayers are vital for the Lord to use us in fulfilling His will.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:6-7).

Thought for Today:

We have a Friend who knows our weaknesses, yet He still gives us access to His Throne of Grace.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who gives sight to the blind (Ps. 146:8). Jesus Christ opened blind eyes. Then touched He their eyes . . . . And their eyes were opened (Matt. 9:27-30; Mark 10:46-52; John 9:1-41).
Word Studies:

144:7 rid, rescue; 144:13 garners, grain storehouses; streets, fields; 145:3 unsearchable, beyond our understanding; 147:4 telleth, counts; 148:7 dragons, large sea animals.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. John B.T. Campbell III (CA) • Country: Mexico (99.7 million) in North America • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 89% Catholic; 6% Protestant; 3.5% None; 1.5% Other (Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i) • Prayer Suggestion: Thank the Lord for hearing your prayers (Ps. 28:6-7).
Optional Reading: II Timothy 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 1 – 3
Highlights:

Fear of God — the beginning of wisdom; necessity of searching for wisdom; importance of trusting in the Lord.
How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? (Prov. 1:22).

The simple ones are not the ignorant, but rather those who permit their natural desires for self-pleasure to become the motivating force in their lives. Over a period of time, it seems the simple ones become scorners — more set in their disinterest for the Truth. Because of their unwillingness to search for Truth, they eventually become hardened in sin and hate knowledge. Then God calls them fools. Those who reject the Word of God are destined to walk down this path. If they had accepted His Word, it would have softened their hearts, they would have repented, and walked on a different path. However, they chose to walk their own way. The apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts (Jude 1:17-18).

Those who reject the Word of God do not heed the warning that would awaken them to the fear of God. Since they ignore His Word, it cannot deliver them. Tragically, destruction cometh as a whirlwind (Prov. 1:27), and then it is too late to reverse their destiny.

How terrifying to think of the eternal damnation of all who hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord (1:29). They will be haunted throughout eternity by the fact that by their own choice, they will be forever separated from the love of God. This was not God's choice, but their choice to go their own way instead of following God. Scripture clearly tells us that as we continually follow after God and His Word that the Lord giveth wisdom: out of His mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: He is a buckler to them that walk uprightly (2:6-7).

God's will has always been that all would accept His love and walk in its ways. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (II Pet. 3:9).

God has established a fixed principle and promise in connection with spiritual wisdom: For whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have (Luke 8:18).

Thought for Today:

Truth that is known and not acted upon eventually brings hardness of heart.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator who founded the earth . . . He established the heavens (Prov. 3:19). All things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16; Eph. 3:9; Heb. 1:2-3).
Word Studies:

1:4 give subtilty to the simple, impart insight (prudence) to the teachable; 1:11 lurk privily, wait secretly; 1:28 early, diligently; 2:1 hide . . . with thee, receive and treasure My Commandments in your heart; 2:7 buckler, a shield used in hand-to-hand combat; 2:12 froward, opposed to God; 2:16 strange woman, adulteress; 3:26 thy foot from being taken, your life from all danger.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Official: Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski (MD) • Country: Moldova (4.3 million) southeastern Europe • Major languages: Rumanian and Russian • Limited religious freedom • 66% Russian/Romanian Orthodox; 2.5% Catholic (Greek and Roman); 1.7% Protestant (mainly Baptist); 1.5% Jewish; .2% Muslim; 28.1% Agnostic/Atheist/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord (Ps. 30:4).
Optional Reading: Titus 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 4 – 7
Highlights:

The power of wisdom is to protect from evil; seven most hated sins; necessity of keeping God's Commandments.
These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren (Prov. 6:16-19).

The first of these seven most hated sins is a proud look. It precedes the other six sins that are an abomination to God. It was pride that deceived Eve to believe Satan and eat the forbidden fruit (Gen. 3:5-6). Three of these sins are directly caused by an evil tongue. Telling lies, giving a false testimony against someone, and causing Christians to be at odds with each other are examples of these. The tongue is often a wicked thing. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell (James 3:6).

Because of the tongue, the effective witness of many Christians is seriously hindered. Instead of showing the love of Christ, they have destroyed their usefulness by their careless talk. At one time they might have been known as a true follower of Christ. However, unmindful of the consequences, they have spoken hurtful and hateful things. Each time they speak they tear their own reputation down just as much as those they were criticizing. They may have thought they were building themselves up, but they were wrong. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus (II Tim. 2:16-17).

In following the example of Jesus we are told: The words of the Lord are pure words (Ps. 12:6). The blessed Christian is a "peacemaker" (Matt. 5:9) whose mouth is an overflow of the Spirit-filled life found in Jesus. The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment. The Law of his God is in his heart (Ps. 37:30-31).

A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. . . . For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned (Matt. 12:35,37).

Thought for Today:

Our speech often exposes our inner thoughts.
Christ Revealed:

By the teacher of wisdom (Prov. 4:7,11). Christ is the Teacher in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:3).
Word Studies:

4:12 straitened, hindered; 4:13 fast, firm; 4:24 froward mouth, deceitful talk; 5:3 strange, adulterous; 5:6 moveable, irresponsible, unstable; 5:19 ravished, delighted; 5:22 holden with the cords of his sins, ensnared, held fast by the control of his sins; 6:12 naughty, worthless, wicked; 6:26 whorish woman, prostitute; 7:10 subtil, deceitful; 7:18 solace, delight, enjoy.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Dannel Patrick Malloy (CT), Rep. Edolphus Towns (NY), Rep. James E. Clyburn (SC), Rep. Mick Michael Mulvaney (SC), Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr. (TN), Rep. Phil Roe (TN), and Sen. John Anthony Barrasso (WY) • Country: Monaco (32,000) in southeastern France • Major languages: French and English • No open evangelism permitted • 90% Roman Catholic; 7% Protestant; 1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Confess your sins to the Lord; He is quick to forgive (Ps. 32:5).
Optional Reading: Titus 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 8 – 11
Highlights:

Benefits of wisdom; the wise and the foolish contrasted.
There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty (Prov. 11:24).

Basically we are told that it is possible to give freely and still become more wealthy, but those who are selfish can lose everything. Our Heavenly Father wants us not only to share our material possessions, but most of all, to express our love and concern for the needs of others. And as we give our best to others, the blessings of the Lord rest upon us in ways we never thought possible.

So many Christians know God can take care of them, but they don't really have enough faith to believe He will do it for them. Therefore, they never experience the satisfaction that comes in completely trusting Him. If they would only let God have control, the outcome in life, even with its difficulties, would be so obvious. No longer would we have to endure the emotional ups and downs of the average human life. God would lead us in our goings and comings so we would know the difference between trusting in God and following our own ways. Jesus assured Peter that whatever is given for My (the Lord's) sake, and the Gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life (Mark 10:29-30).

God is our great Provider. He supplies our every need. He tells us: God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil 4:19). But best of all, when we are truly yielded to Him, we will enjoy giving to others. It will not seem like such a great costly thing because He would help us realize it is better to give than receive. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, It is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35).

Let God work miracles in your life. Don't be afraid of giving something you have — thinking it too precious to part with. Allow the Lord to reveal Himself and His abundance of blessings to you. He's real! He's alive! Just trust Him to do what He said He would do. Ask, seek, find!

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over . . . For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (Luke 6:38).

Thought for Today:

You can never give more than God.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator who prepared the heavens (Prov. 8:27-31). The heavens are the works of Thine hands (Heb. 1:10, John 1:3).
Word Studies:

8:12 of witty inventions, with wise insight; 8:29 his decree, its boundary; 9:7 getteth himself a blot, gets insults in return; 10:1 heaviness, grief, shame; 10:4 slack, negligent, lazy; 10:8 prating fool, self-sufficient know-it-all; 11:6 naughtiness, wickedness.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Robert B. Adersholt (AL), Rep. John B. Larson (CT), Rep. Steven C. LaTourette (OH), and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX) • Country: Mongolia (2.4 million) in east-central Asia • Major language: Khalkha Mongol • As a 70-year era of communism wanes, Bibles are now on sale in the capital, Ulaanbaatar • 95.5% Tibetan Buddhist; 4% Muslim; .3% Christian; .2% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Be glad in the Lord and rejoice at all times (Ps. 32:11).
Optional Reading: Titus 3

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Proverbs 12 – 15

Highlights:

Moral virtues; the pitfalls of evil.
Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are His delight (Prov. 12:22).

Christ exposed the fact that all lies originate from Satan (John 8:44). It was Satan who lied to Eve and brought death into the world. This lie caused sin, pain and destruction to become reality. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned (Rom. 5:12). One lie can cause many problems for both — the one being lied about and the liar himself.

A lying tongue can destroy the effectiveness of another person's life. Just one conversation can do irreparable damage. Though the lying tongue is but for a moment (Prov. 12:19), its effects can last a lifetime and maybe for generations.

A vicious lie can strip a man of his good name and destroy his character. But sincere, thoughtful words help heal the wounded spirit that has been crushed by the slandering tongue. It is so important that we keep our tongues in subjection. We need to think before we speak. Ask yourself, how is what I am about to say going to impact God's Kingdom? Am I going to defame someone's character? Will what I say help this person and be pleasing to the Lord? Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation (I Pet. 2:12).

The tongue that is controlled by the Holy Spirit becomes an instrument of imparting His life to others. Often, we only think of the tongue as being an instrument for evil. There are so many Scriptures that describe it so. However, the tongue can be used to edify, encourage, uplift, teach and counsel, among other things that will do good to and for the Body of Christ. Many tongues had spoken against the woman of Samaria who met Jesus at the well. After meeting Jesus face to face she used her voice to bring others unto Him. Through her witness many believed. . . . that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world (John 4:6-42). Likewise, Jesus met ten men that were lepers who lifted up their voices for mercy and were healed. The Lord instructed them to go show the priests (Luke 17:13-14).

And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God (Luke 17:15).

Thought for Today:

Guard your tongue — speak only those things that build up another.
Christ Revealed:

As One who hates Lying (Prov. 12:22). He that sat upon the throne said. . . . all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone (Rev. 21:5,8).
Word Studies:

12:1 brutish, without regard to reason or propriety; 12:11 vain, worthless; 12:25 Heaviness, Worry; maketh it stoop, causes depression; 13:11 vanity, dishonesty; 13:16 layeth open, exposes; 14:1 plucketh, tears; 14:23 penury, poverty; 15:1 grievous, harsh; 15:17 stalled, fattened; 15:27 gifts, bribes.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Assoc. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy (Supreme Court) and Rep. Timothy V. Johnson (IL) • Country: Morocco (28.2 million) on the northwestern coast of Africa • Major languages: Arabic and French • Government very hostile to Christians and missions • 99.75% Muslim (mostly Sunni); .25% Christian (including foreigners); small numbers of Jews and Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Praise God in prayer and with singing for His Word is pure and His works are done in truth (Ps. 33:2-4).
Optional Reading: Philemon 1

Memory Verse for the Week: Galatians 6:9

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk