Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 7 – 8

Highlights:

Nehemiah's appointment of leaders; genealogy of returned exiles; Scriptures read and explained; Feast of Tabernacles observed.
For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law. Then he said . . . neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength (Neh. 8:9-10).

Under the leadership of Zerubbabel, Ezra, and Nehemiah, the people had the privilege of restoring the Altar, the Temple, and finally the gates and walls of Jerusalem. It appeared that everything had been completed. But God's ultimate purpose for His people was more than the restoration of buildings and city walls. His intent was for His people to obey His Word.

The necessity of the people knowing the Law of the Lord was evident. Yet the Law had not been read since their return from Babylon. Without knowing God's Word and obeying it, all their efforts would be in vain. Previous failures were a testimony of their incomplete obedience to God's Word. Like the Israelites, we often try to solve problems on our own. We also make our own choices in life without consulting God or His Word. The majority of the time the results are unfavorable. We wonder how we ended up in these situations. We don't consider that we didn't pray or search His Word. Even if God doesn't respond quickly, we still need to wait on Him for the answer. But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6).

When Ezra read from the Book of the Law, explaining the Scriptures day after day, a marvelous revival took place. This was followed by great joy. And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink . . . and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them (Neh. 8:12).

Once sin is confessed, God forgives and cleanses us from all unrighteousness. This is why Ezra told the people not to grieve any longer over past sins, saying, the joy of the Lord is your strength (8:10). Since the Lord has accepted us, we can accept ourselves as well as others. This guilt-free conscience is one of the greatest blessings a Christian can possess — physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The amazing power of the forgiveness of Christ can be compared to nothing in this world. When we finally surrender our lives to Him, we are supernaturally changed forever.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

Thought for Today:

Confession of sin has no value unless we are willing to forsake the sin.
Christ Revealed:

Through the names required to be registered for priestly service (Neh. 7:64). Christ, our Great High Priest (Heb. 3:1), will soon return, wearing His Name, King of Kings, and Lord of Lords (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

7:2 feared, had reverential, heartfelt submission to; 7:3 stand by, stand on guard; watches, guards; 7:61 seed, genealogical descent; 7:65 Urim and Thummim, two objects kept in the high priest's breastplate and used to determine the Lord's will (Ex. 28:30); 8:14 booths, temporary shelters.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter & Penny Swanson • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Official: Rep. Ken Calvert (CA) • Country: Guinea (8 million) on the Atlantic coast of western Africa • Major languages: French and tribal languages • Freedom for nationals, but strict limitations on missionaries • 83% Muslim; 12% tribal religions; 4% Roman Catholic; .6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and praise God for His faithfulness and mercy in keeping all His promises (II Chr. 6:14-15).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 10

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 1:1-2
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 9 – 10

Highlights:

Fasting and confession of sins; public reading of the Law; confession of God's goodness; people's covenant to keep the Law.
Stand up and bless the Lord your God for ever and ever: and blessed be Thy glorious Name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise (Neh. 9:5).

Following the greatest Feast of the Tabernacles since the days of Joshua, there was a spontaneous separation from the heathen. All the Israelites made open confession of their sins. This happened as a result of hearing the Law read. The Word of God is life changing because it is the inspired Word of God. What could change the heart of man better than his Creator speaking to him directly through His Word. It is this Word, God's Word, that draws mankind back to Him. To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation (II Cor. 5:19).

The Levites responded by saying: Stand up and bless the Lord your God. It was an expression of gratitude and praise to Jehovah for His love and mercy.

Reading and believing the Scriptures brings about a recognition of sin, confession, obedience to God's Word, and the joy of the Lord.

Something miraculous takes place when we praise the Lord for who He is and we thank Him for what He has done. Truly praising the Lord brings victory to one's life. Not only is God worthy of all worship and praise but He desires it from His people. We are called to worship and praise God: Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord (Ps. 150:6). We should view it as a great privilege to be able to stand before Him and offer praise to the One True Living God. He gladly receives our love, worship, and praise. And when He was come nigh, even now at the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the Name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto Him, Master, rebuke Thy disciples. And He answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out (Luke 19:37-40).

There is a multitude in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God (Rev. 19:1). Let us be faithful to praise Him, also!

Thought for Today:

Count your blessings, and then you can praise the Lord for who He is and for His love and mercy to us.
Christ Revealed:

As the Creator of heaven and earth (Neh. 9:6). All things were created by Him, and for Him (Col. 1:16).
Word Studies:

9:18 wrought great provocations, committed great blasphemy; 9:22 didst divide them into corners, allotted and set boundaries; 9:25 fat, rich; 9:29 withdrew the shoulder, turned away rebelliously; hardened their neck, were stubborn, obstinate; 10:1 Tirshatha, governor; 10:28 Nethinims, Temple attendants or servants; 10:31 leave, forego the 7th year's crop.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Don Edwin Young (AK) • Country: Guinea-Bissau (1 million) on the western coast of Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Criolo • Religious freedom • 51% animist; 42% Muslim; 6% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Humble yourself, pray, and seek the will of God as you read His Word (II Chr. 7:14).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 11

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 1:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 11 – 12

Highlights:

Residents of Jerusalem; priests and Levites who went with Zerubbabel; dedicated walls; Temple offices restored.
And at the dedication of the wall in Jerusalem . . . to keep the dedication with gladness . . . they offered great sacrifices, and rejoiced (Neh. 12:27,43).

The building of the wall of Jerusalem was accomplished through sacrificial work, mingled with fear and trembling, by ordinary people. Even though they were not skilled wall builders, they did the best they could. If Nehemiah had waited for "qualified" workers, the walls would never have been built (3:5). It has been said that God does not necessarily call the equipped, but He will equip the called. Never fear, if God is calling you to work for Him, you can trust Him to provide everything you need to serve Him. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:57).

Just as the Lord called His people out of Babylon with a plea to forsake personal gain and rebuild Jerusalem and worship Him, so our Lord and Savior has called us to seek . . . first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness (Matt. 6:33). Sadly, the majority of Christians lack the wholehearted devotion of those workers who completed the walls. Far too many are "seeking first" the things of this world instead of His Kingdom's interest.

We, as Christians, are set apart to tell the world about God's love; yet, there are millions who have never been told the Good News and are still lost. To many, the Great Commission has become a doctrine rather than a call to serve Him. We need to take this call to heart. What could be more important during this time in which we live than carrying the Word of God to the world? This world does not understand God or the love for it that He reveals in His Word: Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins (I John 4:10). We must unite ourselves to the cause of Christ to spread the Gospel.

Our lives are not our own, but they belong to God. So, we should live for Christ according to our calling. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matt. 28:19-20).

Thought for Today:

Those who walk close to God are a blessing to those around them.
Christ Portrayed:

By the priests and Levites who purified (sanctified) themselves and the people (Neh. 12:30). Christ our High Priest, through His perfect sacrifice, purified His believers by His Word. Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you (John 15:3; 17:17).
Word Studies:

11:16 outward business, external business of the Temple; 11:24 was at the king's hand, was advisor, administrator of the king; 12:44 that waited, who officiated, ministered, kept the watches.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Bobby Jindal (LA) and Rep. Lynn Jenkins (KS) • Country: Guyana (705,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: English and Amerindian dialects • The government is becoming increasingly Marxist, radical, and atheistic • 36% Hindu; 28% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 9% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord for help when you have a need (II Chr. 14:11).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 5:4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 13
Highlights:

Reading of the Law; separation from the heathen; tithes brought in; sabbath-breaking forbidden; mixed marriages condemned.
Now it came to pass, when they had heard the Law, that they separated from Israel all the mixed multitude (Neh. 13:3).

Nehemiah had returned to Persia for a short period of time during which the Israelites had become slack in obeying God's Commandments. But when the Word of God was read, they realized that a lot of changes in their lifestyle had to be made.

When Nehemiah returned to Jerusalem (13:6), he was shocked at the low moral and spiritual condition that existed in the nation. They were even allowing Tobiah — the very man who tried to hinder the rebuilding of Jerusalem many years earlier — to live in the House of God! Nehemiah immediately threw Tobiah's things out of the Temple and ordered him to leave.

As God's ordained leader, Nehemiah promptly set about to clean out the House of God and restore the Levites to their priesthood. No one could discourage him from doing what was right, for he knew his standing with God and didn't care what anyone thought. This is such an outstanding example for us today. So, often we worry too much about what the world, our friends, or our families think and not nearly enough about what God is thinking. We must remember that it is not this world we serve. It is not this world's approval that we seek. It is not this world we need to impress. However, it is God we serve. It is God's approval we seek. In the best sense we can say we want to impress God, and we do want Him to be pleased with our actions. When Peter and the other apostles were commanded not to speak in Jesus' Name they replied: We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29; Jer. 42:6). So, follow the example of these great men of faith and be concerned with pleasing God. For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be a servant of Christ (Gal. 1:10).

Many seem to believe they can live like the world, act like the world, and talk like the world and still be a godly witness for Christ. Jesus clearly taught: No man can serve two masters . . . Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Matt. 6:24). He cannot bless us as long as we are mixing worldliness and sins in our lives. If we are to be used as His vessels to dispense His (spiritual) food — His Word — to the world, our lives must be clean, holy, acceptable unto God (Rom. 12:1).

Every man that hath this hope in Him purifieth himself, even as He is pure (I John 3:3).

Thought for Today:

Fear of ridicule and loss of popularity keep many people from doing God's will.
Christ Portrayed:

By Nehemiah who cleansed the priests and Levites and defined their duties (Neh. 13:30). Christ cleanses us from all our sins when we confess them (I John 1:9). Through Him we have been made a royal priesthood to serve the Lord (I Pet. 2:9).
Word Studies:

13:17 contended with, confronted, rebuked; 13:26 outlandish, foreign idol worshiper; 13:30 strangers, idol-worshiping foreigners; wards of, duties for.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Iva Ann McElroy • Government Officials: Gov. Dennis M. Daugaard (SD), Rep. Charles B. Rangel (NY), and Rep. Mike Conaway (TX) • Country: Haiti (7 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: French and Creole • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 17% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: When you are in desperate circumstances, turn to the Lord with fasting and prayer (II Chr. 20:2-4).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Esther 1 – 3
Highlights:

Vashti removed as queen; Esther made queen; Mordecai thwarts plot against king; Haman's plot to destroy all Jews.
There was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai . . . who had been carried away from Jerusalem with the captivity . . . And he brought up . . . Esther, his uncle's daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful (Esth. 2:5-7).

In his search for a new queen and because she was beautiful, Esther was taken to the king's house, along with other maidens, to be either a slave or his wife. Her consent was not asked. Neither she nor Mordecai had any choice in the decision; they were mere subjects of a powerful dictator.

Later, the overruling hand of God thwarted the schemes and power of the wicked prime minister, Haman, and at the same time, brought His faithful servants, Mordecai and Esther, to influential positions in the kingdom. At times it may seem that the ungodly have the easier path in life, which may be true to some extent. However, always remember, that God is in control of these situations. It is He that holds our lives in His hands. Life for those in Christ does not end at death. If the victory does not come to the righteous here on earth, they gain it in the life to come in their eternal home in heaven. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto them also that love His appearing (II Tim. 4:8).

Sometimes we may feel like a slave — the victim of circumstances beyond our control — and wish for another position where we could "do something more for the Lord." But when we are faithful to the Lord in the position He has placed us — no matter how lowly — there is no need to fear we are missing God's best. We can serve Him faithfully where we are and praise Him for each thing He allows to come into our life. Remember, God wants to prepare us for greater usefulness. God is nurturing us into the place of service He has selected for us. As long as we keep our lives in harmony with His will, God will carry us to the purpose He chooses for our lives. Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it (I Thess. 5:24).

Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling . . . That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ might be glorified in you (II Thess. 1:11-12).

Thought for Today:

It is through prayer and the Word of God that we receive strength to resist temptation.
Christ Portrayed:

By Mordecai, who adopted Esther (Esth. 2:15). We are adopted into the family of God by Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:5; I John 3:1). Ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus (Gal. 3:26).
Word Studies:

1:10 chamberlains, officials; 2:16 Tebeth compares with our December/January; 3:8 to suffer them, to let them remain; 3:13 Adar compares with our February/March; 3:15 posts, special messengers.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Henry Rogers • Government Official: Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA) • Country: Honduras (6 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian dialects • Religious freedom • 86% Roman Catholic; 10% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others, knowing that God hears your prayer (II Chr. 30:18-20).
Optional Reading: Galatians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 17 – 20
Highlights:

Job's appeal to God; Bildad's cruel accusation; Job's reaffirmation of faith in a living Redeemer; Zophar's reference to Job as a "wicked man."
For I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth (Job 19:25).

Bildad's second speech, the most critical of all, said that Job's sufferings exposed him as a sinful hypocrite who was trapped by his own evils. He said of Job: Surely such are the dwellings of the wicked, and this is the place of him that knoweth not God (18:21). In times like these, it is important to remember who we are to be, through Christ, in our relationships with others. Job's friends were all very critical of him and made false assumptions.

There is no doubt we should not overlook sin when we know it is there. Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother (Matt. 18:15). However, there was no proof that Job had fallen into any sin. There was no witness accusing him of doing wrong. There was no evidence that Job had trangressed God's Law in any way. It is recorded, Job sinned not (Job 1:22). Suppose Job did have a moment of weakness that brought him into a place of sin. Were his friends' reactions justified? As Christians, how should we respond? We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves (Rom. 15:1). When we see a friend suffering, we need to offer support and not condemnation. We give them a hand of love to restore them back to the place where they once stood strong for God.

These scathing accusations from Job's friends must have been a bitter blow. But each day's suffering and continued harrassment caused him to move closer to his Lord. Each trial deepened his faith in the eternal Truth: I know that my Redeemer liveth (Job 19:25). This magnificent revelation was uttered by Job when he had no one who cared; and by all outward observation, it appeared that God did not exist. However, he could bear the intense suffering and unjust reproaches because he was living in the expectation of the glorious appearing of his Redeemer. Job was looking ahead to the world to come. The ultimate promise of God for Job and the rest of us is spending eternity with Him. To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life (Rom. 2:7).

Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the Word of God is not bound (II Tim. 2:9).

Thought for Today:

When all else fails, we are aware of the everlasting arms of our Heavenly Father.
Christ Revealed:

As the Redeemer (Job 19:25). Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. By His death, He provided the required sacrifice to pay for our sins (Acts 20:28; Eph. 1:13-14; Rev. 5:9). Our Saviour Jesus Christ . . . gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:13-14).
Word Studies:

17:1 My breath is corrupt, My life is ruined; 17:6 a tabret, an object of contempt, ridicule; 17:14 corruption, decay; 17:16 bars of the pit, unseen state; our rest . . . is in the dust, we are buried; 18:9 gin, snare, trap; 18:20 day, fate; tragic end; 19:3 make yourselves strange to me, wrong me; 19:14 familiar, close; 19:17 strange, unbearable, repulsive; 19:19 inward, dearest, intimate; 19:27 reins, heart.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Official: Rep. Trent Franks (AZ) • Country: Iraq (22 million) in southern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and Kurdish • Fierce harassment of non-Muslims • 96% Muslim; 3% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede for your nation and friends in prayer with fasting and a self-sacrificing spirit (Esth. 4:16).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 2

Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 12:13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 21 – 24
Highlights:

Job bemoans the prosperity of the wicked; Eliphaz accuses Job of sin; Job's desire to plead before God.
My foot hath held His steps, His way have I kept, and not declined. Neither have I gone back from the Commandment of His lips; I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food (Job 23:11-12).

Eliphaz reasoned that wicked men are miserable. And, since Job was very miserable, he must be a wicked man. His final attempt to convince Job that he was a hypocrite was a stunning blow: Acquaint now thyself with Him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee (22:21). Job admitted: I go forward, but He is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive Him: on the left hand . . . I cannot behold Him . . . On the right hand . . . I cannot see Him (23:8-9). In fact, regardless which way Job turned, God was nowhere to be found.

Job's faith did not rest on tangible evidence of feeling God's presence because God's Word was more precious to Job than necessary food — than life itself. The secret to Job's faithfulness was the nourishment and strength he obtained from God's Word. In it, we find the answers to the problems we are going through and we find the fullness that is missing in our lives. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the Word of His grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified (Acts 20:32).

If we truly desire to walk in God's ways, the daily reading of God's Word must become a centerpiece of our lives. Spiritual defeat inevitably faces the Christian who lives year after year, never reading through the Bible — God's only written revelation to mankind. The Word of God is our best offensive and defensive weapon in this spiritual war which we are fighting. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12). It is through the power obtained from God's Word and prayer that we can overcome the evil that is in this world. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope (Rom. 15:4).

Unless Thy Law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction (Ps. 119:92).

Thought for Today:

It is amazing, but true — we can know God through reading His Word!
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's faithfulness to God throughout his suffering (Job 23:10-12). Christ's faithfulness to the Father is seen as He prayed for the Father's will to be done, not His own (Luke 22:42).
Word Studies:

21:2 consolations, sympathy; 21:3 Suffer, Allow; 21:8 seed, children; 21:10 gendereth, breeds; casteth not, does not miscarry; 21:29 tokens, testimony and experience; 24:5 rising betimes for a prey, seeking diligently for food; 24:21 evil entreateth, cruelly takes advantage of.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Audrey Hash • Country: Ireland (3.7 million) off the coast of western Europe • Major languages: English and Irish (Gaelic) • Religious freedom • 92% Catholic; 3.7% Anglican; 1% Other Protestant; .2% Muslim; .1% Jewish; 2% Other; 1% None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and intercede for your family (Job 1:5).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 25 – 29
Highlights:

Job's reproof of Bildad; his praise to God; his truthfulness; source of wisdom; recalling past wealth.
Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding (Job 28:28).

Bildad had insinuated that Job was an unclean worm who could not be justified with God (25:1-6). But God had already revealed Job's true nature, saying he was perfect (blameless) and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed (shunned) evil (1:1). In the midst of them Job looked beyond all the false insinuations and criticisms to the Source of all wisdom. In the life of a Christian, it is needful to look past the natural at times. We serve a God who is not bound by the rules and guidelines placed on life by this world. We must act as Job did. He knew God was the ultimate Judge. He knew that he must listen to God for correction and direction. Job acknowledged that even though he could not penetrate the veil of mystery surrounding his trials, he still accepted that God was in control. We may not know the Lord's purpose for our lives but we trust that His desire is the best for us. The Word of God provides us with the answers to all our needs. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (II Tim. 3:16).

Job was never as concerned about knowing the answer to his problems as he was about having a right relationship with God, saying: Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom (Job 28:28). The single most important thing in life for the child of God is keeping his relationship with Jesus Christ fresh and vibrant. We do this by coming under the blood covering of Jesus in our lives. We do this also by praising and worshiping the wonderful name of our Savior. And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death (Rev. 12:11).

Through mere human intellect, man cannot comprehend the wisdom or the ways of God. Those who leave Christ — the Living Word — out of their lives will never discover true wisdom and understanding, and they will miss the greatest discovery of life — Christ, who is the Truth. Sadly, to reject Him is to remain in spiritual ignorance and darkness.

We speak . . . not the wisdom of this world . . . that come to nought: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory (I Cor. 2:6-7).

Thought for Today:

The more we die to "self," the less we will be affected by the criticism of others.
Christ Revealed:

Through Job's compassion for others (Job 29:15-17,21-25). Jesus was moved to compassion when He saw great crowds in need of healing and feeding (Matt. 14:14; 15:30-39).
Word Studies:

27:22 fain flee, desire to flee; 29:14 diadem, turban.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter & Penny Swanson • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Officials: Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (CA) and Rep. Dan Burton (IN) • Country: Israel (6.1 million) in the Middle East • Major languages: Hebrew and Arabic • Witnessing to Jews about Christ the Messiah is actively discouraged • 80.2% Jewish (mostly secular); 14.6% Muslim (largely Sunni); 2.1% Christian; 1.6% Druze; 1.5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for your friends (Job 42:7-10).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 30 – 33
Highlights:

Job's proclamation of integrity; Elihu's offer to intercede for Job.
They abhor me . . . and spare not to spit in my face. . . . I cry unto Thee, and Thou dost not hear me (Job 30:10,20).

There seemed to be no end to the anguish which Job suffered — even contempt from those who spit in his face as he cried in prayer. As far as he could determine, God was not hearing his prayers: Thou regardest me not (30:20).

We will find ourselves in places like Job was — the place where God's voice is not so clear and often cannot be heard at all. We must realize that God says during these times He is always there. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb. 13:5). We are clearly never without God. If you desire to hear God speak to you, He is as close as your Bible is to you right now. The Word of God will guide you in the right ways to go in life. You can follow it just as if God was giving you audible directions. Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. . . . The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple (Ps. 119: 105,130).

One of the most difficult testings for a Christian to endure is to pray, and continue praying, without any apparent sign that God has heard. But the effectiveness of our prayers cannot be judged by immediate results. God may not grant our request because He wants to provide something better or He may withhold material benefits in order to impart spiritual enlightenment. David is an example of waiting upon the Lord (Is. 40:31). Samuel had anointed him to be king as a young man (I Sam. 16:13), yet he ran for his life for years as a fugitive, desperate, with enemies all around. During these years he depended completely on his faith in the Lord, saying: I wait for my God (Ps. 69:3). David was ultimately blessed by not only becoming king of God's chosen people (II Sam. 2:4; 5:3), but Jesus is referred to as the Son of David. His greatest praise came when God called him, a man after Mine own heart (Acts 13:22).

The very fact that our requests are sometimes granted and sometimes denied is proof in itself that we are cared for by a God of love whose ways are governed by His wisdom and always for our best. It's because of His great love for us that He moves to provide what is profitable to us. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ (Eph. 1:3).

How unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been His counseller? (Rom. 11:33-34).

Thought for Today:

God gives more grace as the burdens become greater.
Christ Revealed:

Through the ridicule and affliction which Job suffered (Job 30:10-11). Christ was afflicted and spit upon. After Pilate delivered Jesus to the Roman soldiers, they beat Him, hit Him with an open hand and spit on Him; and then they crucified Him (Mark 15:15-20; Is. 50:6; 53:2-5; Matt. 27:26-31; John 18:22; 19:1-3).
Word Studies:

30:2 whereto, how; 30:4 mallows, plants of the salt marsh; 30:14 wide breaking in of waters, waters gushing through a wide break in the wall; 30:27 My bowels boiled, My heart is continually troubled; days of affliction prevented, every day brings more suffering; 31:10 grind unto, be a slave to; 31:40 cockle, thorny weeds; 32:19 belly, feeling in my heart.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Officials: Sen. Dianne Feinstein (CA) and Rep. Adam B. Schiff (CA) • Country: Italy (58 million) in southern Europe • Major languages: Italian and German • Religious freedom • 81% Roman Catholic; .4% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Delight in the Word of God; prayerfully meditate upon it for daily guidance (Ps. 1:2).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Job 34 – 37

Highlights:

Elihu's accusations continued.
My desire is that Job may be tried unto the end . . . For he addeth rebellion unto his sin . . . and multiplieth his words against God (Job 34:36-37).

When Job's three friends had nothing more to say, Elihu began to speak. He agreed that Job was a helpless sinner. But he also said that Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar were self-appointed judges who had failed to prove their charges against Job. We will face many people like this in life. Our enemy, the devil, has used situations like this over the years, often casuing dissension in the church seeking to destroy God's work. The Lord is clear on his attitude toward condemation of others. Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things (Rom. 2:1).

It is no wonder that Jesus warns of the inability of a divided kingdom to survive. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand (Matt. 12:25).

Elihu assumed God was not hearing Job; therefore, he appointed himself as intercessor for Job, saying: Behold, I am according to thy wish in God's stead (Job 33:6).

Elihu was so self-confident that in the first 8 verses of chapter 33, the words my, me and I are used nineteen times. But he was interrupted by the wrath of the Almighty who said: Who is this that darkeneth (confuses) counsel by words without knowledge? (38:2). It is important to safeguard ourselves against being so prideful that we become ineffective to God's Kingdom. Remember, it is not ours but God's plan we are striving to see come to fruition. It is Jesus we are sharing and not ourselves. He must increase, but I must decrease (John 3:30).

Counselors may have all the degrees and qualifications the world can give, but unless their advice is in harmony with God's Word it is darkened counsel. In any advice we give, it is exceedingly important to consult the Word of God. What better counsel can we offer than to share Scriptures that give direction to our lives? Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord (Col. 3:16).

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly (Ps. 1:1).

Thought for Today:

Judging and criticizing another Christian is a serious sin because we have no way of knowing how God is working in the heart of His child.
Christ Revealed:

As the One who watches how we live and what we do (Job 34:21). The Lord keeps His eyes on the righteous (I Pet. 3:12).
Word Studies:

34:36 wicked men, evil men; 36:8 holden, held fast; 36:16 no straitness, no restraint or restriction; 36:23 enjoined, appointed; 36:33 The noise thereof sheweth concerning it, the cattle also concerning the vapour, His thunder announces the coming storm; even the cattle make known its approach; 37:10 straitened, frozen; 37:22 terrible, awesome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Bob Dold (IL) and Justice Clarence Thomas (US Supreme Court) • Country: Jamaica (3 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: English and Creole • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 7% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: The Lord is a shield for you in times of trouble (Ps. 3:1-3).
Optional Reading: Ephesians 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk