Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 14 – 15

Highlights:

The pivotal point of the Book of Numbers is revealed by the rebellion at Kadesh. Will the generation of the Exodus be remembered as the generation of conquest? We see the reward of the faithful and judgment of the faithless (Num. 14:22-23,34).
And all the children of Israel murmured (complained) against Moses and against Aaron. . . . And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt (Num. 14:2,4). It seems incredible that the nation of Israel would ask: Wherefore hath the Lord brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword (14:3)? How could they forget that God had miraculously delivered them from the death angel and from Egyptian slavery?

They had left Egypt, but they still longed for certain luxuries of Egypt. Because of their complaint, God withdrew His presence. Little did they realize how their tenth complaint marked the transition of the nation from pilgrims being led of God to wanderers in the desert for the next 38 years (14:33). During this time, they made no further progress toward the promised land. The Scriptures make no mention of the guidance of God during this time.

When God pronounced judgment upon their unbelief, they confessed: We have sinned (14:40), and they actually attempted to force their way into the promised land without the direction of God (14:44-45).

This loss of the guidance of God has real significance for the serious-minded Christian. Many Christians today are just as determined as the Israelites were to guide their own lives and are no longer pilgrims being led of God, but are wanderers in the world.

Walking with God demands personal sacrifices of things not necessarily evil, but which prevent the full devotion of one's life to God.

The Apostle Paul made us aware of the possibility of being a "castaway," meaning disapproved, rejected, no longer a useful servant. That generation of Israel, with the exception of Joshua and Caleb, lost their usefulness and had become a "castaway."But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway (I Cor. 9:27).

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God (II Cor. 7:1).

Thought for Today:

And to whom sware He that they should not enter into His rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief (Heb. 3:18-19).
Christ Revealed:

As the Glory of God (Num. 14:22). Jesus Christ is the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person (Heb. 1:3).
Word Studies:

14:3 fall by the sword, die in war; 14:10 bade, said; 14:11 provoke, spurn, insult, treat with contempt, disrespect; 14:30 sware, promised; 14:31 know, appreciate; despised, spurned; 14:33 wander, be shepherds; whoredoms, unfaithfulness; 14:42 smitten, defeated; 14:45 discomfited, defeated; 15:3 sweet savour, pleasing fragrance; 15:13 born of the country, native born, native Israelite; 15:14 sojourn, live temporarily; 15:15 One ordinance, The same biblical law; 15:30 presumptuously, through pride, rebellion; cut off, excommunicated; 15:34 in ward, in custody; 15:39 go a whoring, unfaithful to God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In honor of Linda Kennon • Government Official: Rep. Raul M. Grijalva (AZ) • Country: Solomon Islands (455,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: 120 indigenous languages • Religious freedom • 66% Protestant; 17% Roman Catholic; 4% spirit worship, ancestor worship, and sorcery • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and lift up your prayers to God with the spirit of understanding (I Cor. 14:15).
Optional Reading: Luke 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:19

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 16 – 18

Highlights:

Today's reading is far more than incidental Hebrew history. It brings to light how envy, jealousy, and discontent destroy the usefulness of "good" people. You should recognize the subtle treachery of Satan using "good" leaders with "good intents" to destroy their usefulness for God. Always remember, God will confirm His will to anyone who desires to follow it.
Two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown . . . gathered themselves together against Moses (Num. 16:2-3). It appears that Korah was jealous over Moses' leadership; therefore, he became spokesman for the people and attempted to overthrow Moses so he could assume the leadership position for the nation. Two hundred and fifty spiritual leaders in Israel joined him in opposing Moses. But God viewed their opposition as a rebellion against Him and caused the earth to open and bury all of the 250 leaders (16:33).

Korah and his followers may have been sincere and considered the nation's leadership a problem to be decided by the majority, but they failed to recognize that it was the authority of God who appointed Moses as the nation's leader.

It was not possible for Korah to have a right attitude toward God while maintaining a wrong attitude toward His anointed leader. To the observer, it may have seemed like a mere personality conflict, but how different sin is from what it often appears to be!

Many ministers who are doing the will of God today face criticism and opposition from those who do not recognize that God and His delegated leadership are inseparable (16:5).

In the Book of Jude, we read: Woe unto them! for they have . . . perished in the gainsaying of Core (Jude 1:11). This is a warning to us against the kind of influential politicking Korah did in his attempt to gain Moses' position.

The spiritual pathway is above and beyond human reasoning. Human eyes see only men and their weakness, but those whom God can use recognize the seriousness of rebelling against the God-ordained leadership. Although the rebellious ones often have exceptional abilities, they are traveling in the way of death. When anyone resists authority, he is resisting God.

The Bible warns us that opposition against the Word of God and His authority is to be expected. Mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ (Rom. 16:17-18).

Thought for Today:

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the Word and doctrine (I Tim. 5:17).
Christ Portrayed:

By Aaron and his sons who were responsible for making proper atonement for all of the sins of Israel (Num. 18:1). Jesus gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity (lawlessness) (Titus 2:14).
Word Studies:

16:6 censers, incense burners; 16:7 holy, set apart, dedicated to God; 16:29 visited, natural deaths; 16:31 clave asunder, split apart; 16:46 plague, fatal sickness; 16:48 stayed, stopped; 17:10 Testimony, Ark of the Covenant; take away, put an end to; 18:1 bear the iniquity of, answerable for the sins against; 18:3 thy charge, your responsibilities; 18:5 wrath, further judgment; 18:9 oblation, offering; 18:11 statute, perpetual allowance; clean, cleansed from sin; 18:15 Every thing that openeth the matrix, Every firstborn; matrix, womb; 18:17 firstling, firstborn; 18:19 covenant of salt, permanent contract; 18:21 an inheritance, their share; 18:27 corn, grain; 18:30 heaved, lifted up; 18:31 reward, wages.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Mantych • Staff: Rick Hash • Government Official: Sen. Mitch McConnell, Jr. (KY) • Country: Somalia (7 million) on the Horn of Africa • Major languages: Somali and Arabic • Islam is officially favored and all other religions are opposed • 99.8% Muslim; .1% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that the Lord will enable you to comfort and encourage others (II Cor. 1:3-4).
Optional Reading: Luke 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 19 – 20

Highlights:

Your heart will break as disobedience by two men of God results in a terrible judgment. Note the difference between the Law and grace which comes through Christ. You will find two deaths recorded here, as well as a nation sealing its own fate by refusing to help the people of God. How gloriously Christ is typified twice in today's reading.
And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly (Num. 20:11).

In the first year of the nation's wanderings in the wilderness, God commanded Moses to smite the rock, and an abundance of water came forth (Ex. 17:1-6). The rock was a symbol of Christ. They drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ (I Cor. 10:4). Just as there could be no water until the rock was smitten, there could be no indwelling of the Holy Spirit until Christ died.

The water from the smitten rock is symbolic of the Holy Spirit, which was made available through Christ's death. The Lord announced this when He said: If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. . . . (But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified) (John 7:37,39).

This first smiting of the rock was in obedience to the Word of God. But on this occasion forty years later (Num. 20:8), God told Moses to speak to the rock. Striking the rock the second time was a very great sin because the first smiting of the rock (Exodus 17) was a picture of the judgment of God upon sin and a type of the death of Christ — once for all. The spoken Word would have been sufficient thereafter, just as whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved (Rom. 10:13). Striking the rock twice on this occasion, even though it was 40 years later, implied that the one sacrifice was not enough, thereby contradicting the Word of God that says: He died unto sin once (6:10).

Though Moses could not comprehend the magnitude of his disobedience when he smote the rock twice (Num. 20:11), it emphasizes the importance of recognizing that even in seemingly insignificant situations, the Word of God must always be obeyed.

But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14).

Thought for Today:

The Lord liveth; and blessed be my Rock; and exalted be the God of the Rock of my salvation (II Sam. 22:47).
Christ Revealed:

Through the rock that Moses struck (Num. 20:8-11; also Ex. 17:6). Christ, our Rock, who was struck once through His death on the cross, does not need to be struck again. That spiritual Rock that followed (accompanied) them . . . was Christ (I Cor. 10:4).
Word Studies:

19:2 spot, defect; 19:6 hyssop, husky plant designated for purging and cleansing; 19:10 stranger, foreigner; 20:3 chode, expressed anger; 20:10 fetch, bring; 20:11 smote, struck; 20:12 sanctify Me, hold Me in reverential honor; 20:13 strove, contended; 20:14 travail, hardship, affliction; 20:15 vexed, mistreated; 20:24 gathered unto his people, buried; 20:29 house, family.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Ruben Thuillard • Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Officials: Rep. Charles Boustany (LA), Rep. Steven McCarty Palazzo (MS), Rep. John Lewis (GA), Rep. John M. Shimkus (IL), Sen. Olympia Snowe (ME), and Rep. Scott DesJarlais (TN) • Country: South Africa (42.6 million) on the southern tip of the African continent • Major languages: Afrikaans and English • Religious freedom • 76% Christian; 1% Muslim; 1% Hindu; 15% Traditional; .5% Jewish; 6.5% None/Other (Baha'i, Jain, Sikh, Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Confucian) • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that God will enable you to be a generous, cheerful giver to Him (II Cor. 9:6-7).
Optional Reading: Luke 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 21 – 22

Highlights:

The key to failures as well as to blessings and victories abounds in these verses, as the refugees finally near their destination. A wise donkey speaks to save a foolish prophet (Num. 22:28).
And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread (Num. 21:4-5).

The full meaning of much discouraged is that the people were impatient. And when people become impatient, everything seems to go wrong.

The Israelites finally exposed their real feelings concerning the provisions of God. Our soul loatheth this light bread. Their discontent proved that they did not clearly perceive the purpose of God for bringing them out of Egypt.

Because of their unbelief, the Lord's marvelous protection from the desert dangers was withdrawn, and thousands of people were bitten by poisonous snakes and died. Until this time, there is no record of anyone being bitten by a serpent (Deut. 8:15). Just as the bite from a reptile was deadly, so their unbelief would lead to spiritual death. Again, they realized their need for the Lord and His protection.

Because of Moses' intercessory prayer, God prepared a means of salvation for His people. God instructed Moses to make a brazen serpent and display it on a high pole. Although the dying Israelites may not have deserved to be healed, all who believed in the promise of the Word of God and beheld the serpent of brass were healed (Num. 21:9).

All mankind has been poisoned by that old serpent, called the Devil (Rev. 12:9), who perpetually torments his victims. And sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death (James 1:15).

God sent His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh (Rom. 8:3; II Cor. 5:21). Sin brought eternal death, but all who will believe the Word of God and accept Christ as Savior will have eternal life.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life (John 3:14-15).

Thought for Today:

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve . . . the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Josh. 24:15).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses who prayed for God to save the people (Num. 21:7). Christ Jesus; Who was faithful to Him that appointed Him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house (family, i.e. the Israelites) (Heb. 3:1-2).
Word Studies:

21:2 utterly, completely; 21:4 compass, go around; 21:5 soul loatheth, people detest, intense dislike; 21:11 the sunrising, by the eastern border; 21:18 staves, staffs; 21:23 suffer, permit, allow; 21:35 smote, killed, destroy; 22:1 pitched, camped; this side, the eastern side; 22:3 sore, very, utterly; 22:4 lick up, defeat in battle; 22:5 over against me, in front of me; 22:6 smite, defeat; wot, know; 22:7 rewards of divination, fees for telling the future; 22:23 ass, donkey; 22:27 staff, rod; 22:28 smitten, struck; 22:29 would, wish; 22:30 wont to do, failed to serve you; 22:36 utmost, farthest, boundary.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In honor of Bonnie Wilhite • Country: South Korea (46.9 million) in northeastern Asia • Major languages: Korean and English • Religious freedom • 48% Christian; 40% Buddhist; 3% Confucian; 9% Shamanism; Chodogyo, Other • Prayer Suggestion: Realize that the will of God is often different from our own desires (II Cor. 12:8-9).
Optional Reading: Luke 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 23 – 25

Highlights:

Balaam prophesied blessings on Israel and yet thousands die. In today's chapters we learn why Phinehas is given the highest priestly honor recorded in the Old Testament.
Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his (Num. 23:10)!

The greatest prophetic revelation of Christ thus far in the Bible was given by the Gentile prophet Balaam. These prophecies were given when the Israelite nation moved near the borders of the Moabite kingdom. King Balak became very concerned for his own security. Knowing how the Israelites had overcome the mighty Egyptian empire, Balak attempted to hire Balaam to curse Israel. Balaam refused, saying: How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? . . . Behold, I have received Commandment to bless (23:8,20).

King Balak offered huge rewards to Balaam several times if he would curse the Israelites. Balaam desired the recognition and rewards that King Balak offered, and they induced him to make several deviations from what he knew was the will of God. But Balaam was one of the many people who know the right Scriptures and long to die the death of the righteous (23:10), but are unwilling to live the life of the righteous.

Balaam succeeded in turning the Israelites from Jehovah by suggesting that the Midianites invite Israel to participate in their religious rituals. This led the men of Israel to commit adultery and fornication (25:1-3; 31:16). Balaam knew that the curse of God would be upon Israel for their sin. Then, Balak would have his security, and Balaam would receive his reward.

There is more condemnation in the New Testament about Balaam than about Judas, who betrayed the Son of God. Yes, this was the same Balaam upon whom the Spirit of God had come (24:2); the one who had seen the vision of the Almighty (24:4); the one who had the honor of foretelling of the coming King of kings (24:17).

The whole world lieth in wickedness (I John 5:19), and our natural tendency is to be drawn away from God. Even among Christians, the main topics of conversation are centered around the things of the world. In order to test the true character of any of our interests, we need only to ask whether that thing leads us to God or away from Him.

The Bible strongly warns us to beware of those which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam (II Pet. 2:15). . . . and ran greedily after . . . reward (Jude 1:11).

Thought for Today:

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the Law of the Lord; and in His Law doth he meditate day and night (Ps. 1:1-2).
Christ Revealed:

As the prophesied Star and Sceptre (Num. 24:17). Christ is coming to reign in great glory (Rev. 19:15-16). Unto the Son He saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a Sceptre of righteousness is the Sceptre of Thy Kingdom (Heb. 1:8).
Word Studies:

23:3 peradventure, perhaps; 23:10 dust, descendants; 24:14 advertise, let you know; 24:18 do valiantly, be triumphant; 25:1 commit whoredom, have intercourse; 25:3 kindled against,  became angry against; 25:7 javelin, spear; 25:13 seed, descendants, offspring; atonement, effected reconciliation; 25:17 Vex, Besiege; 25:18 wiles, treacherous deceit; beguiled, deceived.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Lt. Col. & Mrs. Walter Swanson • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Official: Rep. Kenny Marchant (TX) • Country: Spain (39.6 million) in southwestern Europe • Major languages: Castilian Spanish and Catalan • Limited religious freedom • 85% Roman Catholicism; 1% Islam; .5% Protestant; .5% Jehovah's Witness; 13% Other (Mormon, Jewish, Secular Humanist) • Prayer Suggestion: Ask to be guided by the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:16).
Optional Reading: Luke 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 26 – 27

Highlights:

Following one failure after another, the nation regroups and preparation of the new generation to enter the promised land begins. Much can be learned by us from the events disclosed in today's reading. A generation was lost — ALL the adults except Caleb and Joshua. Moses prepares to die and Joshua becomes the new commander-in-chief.
For ye rebelled against My Commandment in the desert of Zin, in the strife of the congregation, to sanctify Me at the water before their eyes: that is the water of Meribah in Kadesh in the wilderness of Zin. And Moses spake unto the Lord, saying, Let the Lord, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation (Num. 27:14-16).

In prayer, Moses had asked to enter the good land that is beyond Jordan (Deut. 3:25), but the Lord informed the great lawgiver of Israel that he could not enter the promised land.

Moses' life was characterized by the often-repeated words: And Moses did as the Lord commanded him (Num. 27:22). Furthermore, it was said: And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face (Deut. 34:10).

Only one recorded sin kept Moses from the promised land, but Moses represented the Law that cannot allow one exception. For whosoever shall keep the whole Law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all (James 2:10).

Joshua, who was symbolic of Christ, was — by the grace of God — able to lead the undeserving Israelites into the promised land.

Trying to live up to the Law of God was not enough to take anyone — not even Moses — into the promised land. Yet, many people today believe that if they keep the Ten Commandments, God will be satisfied. But Christ said: No man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6). For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this Rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God (Gal. 6:15-16). Although one's external conduct may be as nearly perfect as Moses' was, without the indwelling Savior there can be no salvation (John 1:12).

But before faith came, we were kept under the Law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith (Gal. 3:23-24).

Thought for Today:

And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after (Heb. 3:5).
Christ Portrayed:

By the man (Joshua) who would lead the people like a shepherd (Num. 27:17). Jesus said: I am the Good Shepherd. . . . My sheep . . . follow Me (John 10:11,27).
Word Studies:

26:2 the sum, a census; 26:9 strove against, rebelled against; 26:61 strange, unauthorized; 27:13 shall be gathered unto, brought to former loved ones; 27:14 sanctify Me, honor Me as holy; 27:18 lay thine hand, transfer authority; 27:19 give him a charge, commission him as your successor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Official: Sen. Joe Lieberman (CT) • Country: Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) (19 million) an island in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern tip of India • Major languages: Sinhala and Tamil • Christianity suppressed • 69% Buddhist; 15% Hindu; 8% Christian (mostly Catholic); 7% Muslim (mostly Sunni); 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray through the Name of Jesus Christ for it is by Him that we have access to God in prayer (Eph. 2:18).
Optional Reading: Luke 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 28 – 29

Highlights:

You will be fascinated with the details in Israel's great festivals (Feasts) since they reveal the many aspects of Christ's sacrificial love. As all the offerings are precisely initiated, a second generation, after 40 years, is ready to enter the promised land. O taste and see that the Lord is good (Ps. 34:8).
And in the seventh month, on the first day of the month, ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work: it is a day of blowing the trumpets unto you. . . . And on the fifteenth day . . . ye shall keep a feast unto the Lord seven days (Num. 29:1,12).

The Feast of Ingathering (Ex. 34:22; Num. 29:12-40) was the last of the sacrifice festivals under the Old Covenant and marked the conclusion of the Jewish sacred year. It was also called the Feast of Tabernacles (or Booths — meaning Ingathering), and marked the completion of harvest. It called the people to praise and give thanks unto God — not only for what He had given, but for who He was. There were far more sacrifices offered during this Feast than during any other Feast.

On the first day, thirteen bullocks were sacrificed. Then each day, one less bullock was sacrificed. There was a total of seventy bullocks, fourteen rams, ninety-eight lambs, and seven goats sacrificed. In addition there were daily Burnt Offerings and Meal Offerings. All these offerings were a means of offering praise and thanksgiving to God for the abundant harvest.

All of the sacrifices, offerings, and ceremonies in Numbers 28 and 29 were to lead the children of Israel to gratefully acknowledge the mercy of God. The worshiper was led to express his appreciation to the Lord for protecting them, for giving them victory over their enemies, and for supplying their every need. Furthermore, the worshiper experienced the joy of fellowship with God.

The principles involved in the sacrifices are still the same. The Lord's bountiful supply should deepen our appreciation for His goodness and cause us to acknowledge our dependence upon Him, who gives rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness (Acts 14:17). The prolonged, detailed account of the offerings reveals how important — how vital — our praise is unto the Lord, not only for what He has given us, but for who He is. Furthermore, acceptable praise is not primarily praising Him for what He gives us, but it is by our sincerest effort to be the person He desires us to be. That we should be to the praise of his glory (Eph. 1:12).

Thought for Today:

By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His Name (Heb. 13:15).
Christ Revealed:

By the tabernacles (booths, temporary dwellings) (Num. 29:12-39; Lev. 23:34,42-43). The Word (Logos, i.e. the sayings of God) was made (became) flesh, and dwelt among us (John 1:14). The Greek word translated dwelt means to "tabernacle or live in a tent temporarily."
Word Studies:

28:2 sweet savour, pleasing fragrance; 28:3 spot, defect; 28:6 ordained, instituted by God; 28:13 several, separate; 28:18 holy convocation, sacred assembly; 29:6 month, new moon; 29:7 afflict your souls, have a day of solemn fasting, soul searching, prayer, and repentance of all known sin; 29:10 several, separate; 29:35 solemn, sacred.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Jim W. Gerlach (PA) • Country: St. Kitts-Nevis (42,000) in the Leeward Islands of the West Indies • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 74% Protestant; 7% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Boldly and confidently go to God in prayer through Jesus' Name (Eph. 3:12).
Optional Reading: Luke 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 30 – 31

Highlights:

Note three godly principles in today's reading. Integrity — If a man vow a vow (Num. 30:2). Vengeance — The Lord is the only One qualified to take vengeance (Heb. 10:30). Then, who shares the "spoils?" Note how the spoils were divided, and who received a share.
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people. . . . And they warred against the Midianites, as the Lord commanded Moses. . . . Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword (Num. 31:1-2,7-8).

Moses' last official responsibility was to: Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites. The war against Midian had been commanded earlier (25:16-18). Now it was the time for the execution to be carried out. The Midianites were to be judged for their wicked sin of persuading the Israelites to participate in their idolatrous worship and immoral acts.

Not one Israelite was killed during their overwhelming victory. Among the thousands of Midianites that died in battle, we find that Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword (31:8).

Balaam failed in his efforts and his many sacrifices to keep Jehovah from blessing His people, but he succeeded in turning the Israelites away from God. Balaam taught the Midianites to invite the Israelites to participate in a religious ritual of Baal-peor that resulted in the Israelite men committing fornication with the Midianite women (25:1-3; 31:16).

Yes, it is the same Balaam who had said: Let me die the death of the righteous (23:10). But his end that resulted in his death was certainly not what he had anticipated.

He is the prophet upon whom the Spirit of God came (24:2), the one who saw the vision of the Almighty (24:4). Yes, Balaam even prophesied the coming of Christ, saying: I shall see Him, but not now: I shall behold Him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab (24:17).

What a pathetic example of a double-minded man proclaiming prophetic words, yet instigating sinful acts among the people of God that led to the downfall of thousands.

But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication (Rev. 2:14).

Thought for Today:

But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the Lord: and be sure your sin will find you out (Num. 32:23).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses who judged Israel's actions and passed sentence (Num. 31:1-17). In righteousness He doth judge (Rev. 19:11; II Thess. 1:7-9; Jude 1:14-15).
Word Studies:

30:2 bind his soul, to abstain from something; 30:3 bond, promise; 30:4 hold his peace at, say nothing to; 30:5 disallow, forbid; 30:7 held his peace at, said nothing; 30:9 their souls, themselves; 30:13 void, invalid; 30:16 statutes, regulations; 31:2 be gathered unto thy people, die; 31:11 spoil, plunder; 31:21 ordinance of the Law, biblical Law; 31:23 purified, ceremonially purified; 31:26 prey, booty; 31:28 tribute, tax; beeves, cattle; 31:29 for an heave offering, to be presented as a sacrifice to the Lord, by the gesture of waving before the altar; 31:32 booty, spoils; 31:39 tribute, assessment, portion; 31:47 charge, duties; 31:49 sum, count, accounted for; 31:50 oblation, offering; tablets, necklaces, beads; 31:51 wrought, artfully designed; 31:53 had taken spoil, took away the valuables.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In memory of Audrey Hash • Country: Sudan (28.9 million) at the eastern end of the Sahara Desert • Major languages: Arabic and Nubian • Limited religious freedom • 70% Sunni Muslim; 19% Christian; 10% Traditional; 1% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you strength for today's need (Eph. 3:14-16).
Optional Reading: Luke 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:20 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 32 – 33

Highlights:

The Canaanites must be expelled before Israel can possess the promised land: In the fourth generation they (the Israelites) shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full (Gen. 15:16). A summary of the wilderness journeys — 39 years of wasted lives. But first, the time of judgment for Israel's compromising sins had come.
And Moses said unto the children of Gad and to the children of Reuben . . . wherefore discourage ye the heart of the children of Israel from going over into the land which the Lord hath given them? Thus did your fathers, when I sent them from Kadesh-barnea to see the land (Num. 32:6-8).

Wherefore, said they . . . let this land (Jazer) be given unto thy servants for a possession, and bring us not over Jordan (32:1-5).

Down through the years, the devout worshiper looked forward to the fulfillment of the Lord's covenant with Abraham that his descendants would inherit the promised land. When it was time for the chosen people of God to cross the Jordan River and enter the promised land, the tribes of Reuben made the shameful request: Bring us not over the Jordan. What a contrast to the prayer of Moses: O Lord God . . . I pray Thee, let me go over (Deut. 3:24-25).

The tribes of Reuben, Gad, and Manasseh evidently believed they would have greater opportunity for material sucess in the beautiful fertile valley they had won from the Amorites than in the land God had chosen. They asked Moses' permission to settle outside the promised land. Undoubtedly, they rejoiced and felt privileged when their request was granted. The powerful Reubenite tribe did not show any indication of rejecting Jehovah as their God, but their association with the heathen neighbors on the east side of Jordan eventually led them into idolatry. As a result, they were the first tribe of Israel to be taken captive (I Chr. 5:25-26).

Many Christians today are like the Reubenites. They are ignoring the Word of God and inclined to set their hearts on worldly advantages. The fulfillment of the promises of God may not be in the way we expected, but the spiritually minded are not as concerned in obtaining worldly gain as they are in being in the perfect will of God.

Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known My ways (Heb. 3:10; Ps. 95:10). Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the Living God (Heb. 3:12).

Thought for Today:

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him (I John 2:15).
Christ Revealed:

Through the promised land — filled with abundance, as well as protection, for those who live in harmony with His Word (Num. 33:50-54). I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10).
Word Studies:

32:4 smote, conquered; 32:11 followed, obeyed; 32:14 an increase, a brood; augment, increase, add to; 32:17 fenced, fortified, walled; 32:19 forward, beyond; 32:22 guiltless, free of obligation; 32:39 dispossessed, drove out; 33:2 goings out, starting places; 33:3 with an high hand, triumphantly; 33:52 pictures, objects of worship; quite pluck down, demolish; high places, places where shrines for idol worship were erected; 33:55 vex you, trouble you.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Charlotte Hall • Government Official: Rep. Adam Kinzinger (IL) • Country: Suriname (431,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: Dutch and English • Very limited religious freedom • 27% Hindu; 22% Roman Catholic; 20% Protestant; 20% Muslim; 6% witchcraft and spirit worship • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for your brothers and sisters that they might be filled with spiritual discernment and the fullness of Christ (Eph. 3:14-18).
Optional Reading: Luke 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 34 – 35

Highlights:

Without hesitation, the "Master MapMaker" lays out the boundaries of the land that He gave His people. Look how He provides for those who dedicate their lives to His service. Be sure to read how God deals with manslaughter in these two chapters.
These are they whom the Lord commanded to divide the inheritance unto the children of Israel in the land of Canaan (Num. 34:29).

And among the cities which ye shall give unto the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the manslayer (35:6). God provided cities of refuge to protect those who had unintentionally committed manslaughter until they could have a fair trial. If the manslayer could escape to one of these cities, he would be safe until the legal investigation had taken place.

If the crime was proven to be deliberate murder, the guilty person was handed over to the avenger. If the crime was justifiable or accidental homicide, he had to remain in the city of refuge until the death of the high priest. If he left the city before the death of the high priest, he could legally be put to death.

The laws of God demand the highest respect for human life. To spare the life of a guilty murderer would defile the nation, for a murderer has destroyed one for whom Christ died and has ruthlessly and forcefully taken from God His authority over every life. Therefore, the murderer shall surely be put to death (35:16).

Without a doubt, the prosecution and execution of criminals is an exceedingly painful situation that everyone would prefer to avoid; yet it is necessary to maintain justice and the welfare of our society for a criminal court. To ignore the Word of God and allow murderers to live is to defile the nation.

But Christ went beyond the old Law and gave a new Law of love. He expects us to love others even as He loves us (John 13:34). Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca (a term of contempt, such as, "you empty-headed idiot"), shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire (Matt. 5:21-22). Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him (I John 3:15).

Thought for Today:

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 6:23).
Christ Revealed:

By the cities of refuge (Num. 35:6). Christ is our Refuge from the judgment of God and the curse of the Law. We . . . have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us . . . even Jesus (Heb. 6:18-20).
Word Studies:

34:3 Salt Sea, Dead Sea; 34:5 fetch a compass, take a turn toward; 34:5 goings out, end; 34:6 Great Sea, Mediterranean Sea; 34:8 goings forth, boundary; 34:11 Chin'ne-reth, Galilee; 35:2 suburbs, open land; 35:11 unawares, unintentionally; 35:15 stranger, foreigner; sojourner, one who lived temporarily; 35:16 smite, strike; 35:20 thrust, maliciously shove; 35:26 come without, goes beyond; 35:31 satisfaction, ransom.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Sec. Steven Chu (Dept. of Energy), and Gov. Togiola Tulafono (American Samoa) • Country: Swaziland (985,000) in southern Africa • Major languages: English and siSwati • Religious freedom • 67% Protestant; 19% animism, spirit-possession cults, and divination; 11% Roman Catholic; 3% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Praise and thank the Lord that He can do exceedingly more than we ask or even think (Eph. 3:20).
Optional Reading: Luke 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk