Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 22 – 23
Highlights:

What a wealth of spiritual information is found in just these two chapters. It is interesting to note that the word "holiday" derives from holy day. These chapters thoroughly outline the holy days of Feasts and fasts God required of the Israelites. Every Christian should know them and how they foreshadowed the coming Christ. They are a preview of Old Testament prophecy fulfilled in the New Testament. Christ was crucified on the exact Day of Passover (Lev. 23:5; John 19:14).
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel . . . Concerning the Feasts of the Lord (Lev. 23:1-2).

The seven Feasts of Worship reveal the entire work of salvation. The Passover Feast was first and pointed to the death of Christ (23:5).

The Feast of Unleavened Bread (23:6-8) was observed the day after the Passover Feast and reveals the great Truth that after His death, Christ became the Bread of Life (John 6:48). His redeemed people can actually partake of His life through His Word.

The Feast of Firstfruits (Lev. 23:9-14) is symbolic of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. At this Feast, one sheaf (one handful of grain) from the first harvest was waved before Jehovah, trusting God to give a great harvest. Christ's resurrection is our confidence of the great day when all the dead in Christ will be resurrected to join those who are alive at His coming (I Thess. 4:15-17). But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the Firstfruits of them that slept (I Cor. 15:20).

After seven Sabbaths had passed, a new Meat Offering was brought, known as the Feast of Weeks (Lev. 23:15-22). This corresponds with the Day of Pentecost that was exactly 50 days after the waving of the Firstfruits (Acts 2). Then a long interval elapsed before the blowing of the trumpets (Lev. 23:23-25). The Feast of Trumpets represents the time when this present age is about to close. It is the call of God to the remnant of His people to regather in Jerusalem. The blowing of the trumpets on the first day of the seventh month preceded the great Day of Atonement (23:26-32) and is the proclamation of that approaching day when the great High Priest, our Savior and Israel's King, comes the second time, in power and glory.

The final Feast was the Feast of Tabernacles (23:33-44), which was the Feast of the Ingathering of the produce of the year. It points to the coming glory of Christ's reign and the Christian's glorious inheritance in His Kingdom.

Therefore let us keep the Feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth (I Cor. 5:8).

Thought for Today:

But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all His prophets, that Christ should suffer, He hath so fulfilled (Acts 3:18).
Christ Revealed:

Lev. 23 — in the seven great holy days of the Lord: Passover, Feast of Unleavened Bread, Feast of Firstfruits, Feast of Pentecost, Feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Feast of Tabernacles (Booths) — all of which typified Jesus Christ. Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us (I Cor. 5:7); Bread of Life (John 6:35); Christ . . . the Firstfruits of them that slept (died) (I Cor. 15:20). Through our Lord Jesus Christ . . . we have now received the atonement (Rom. 5:11). The Word was made flesh, and dwelt (tabernacled) among us (John 1:14). And He sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (Acts 1:8; 2:1-40).
Word Studies:

22:9 ordinance, biblical law; 22:10 sojourner, guest; 22:14 unwittingly, unknowingly; 22:15 profane, desecrate; 22:16 suffer, permit; 22:23 vow, required offering; 23:2 convocations, sacred assemblies; 23:6 unleavened bread, bread without yeast, a symbol of Christ as the sinless offering; 23:7 servile, work at your occupation; 23:17 wave, held up to the Lord; 23:27 afflict your souls, humble yourselves; 23:44 feasts, appointed festivals.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Pam Murton • Government Officials: Rep. Todd Rokita (IN), Rep. Renee L. Ellmers (NC), Rep. Jay Inslee (WA) and Sen. Jim Webb (VA) • Country: San Marino (25,000) inside north-central Italy • Major language: Italian • Religious freedom • 95% Roman Catholic; 5% atheist • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up prayers of praise and thanksgiving to God even in times of adversity (Acts 16:22-25).
Optional Reading: Mark 12

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:17

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 24 – 25

Highlights:

Not only does the Lord speak, but in today's reading He commands. See what happened to a rebellious son who blasphemed the Name of the Lord (Lev. 24:11,16). Discover the significance of the Lord's number for perfection (seven) and its eventual climax in the liberty of Jubile (25:8-55).
He shall order the lamps upon the pure Candlestick before the Lord continually (Lev. 24:4). Aaron, the high priest, was responsible for keeping the light of the Golden Candlestick burning continually in the Holy Place, from evening to morning.

The light for the Golden Candlestick came from the sacred fire on the Altar. It was not produced by either Moses or Aaron, but it came directly from Jehovah, and was never permitted to go out (6:13).

There were no windows in the Holy Place to give light. The only light came from the source of supply of God. This is also true in the life of the believer; he cannot receive light on spiritual things from any natural source. Unless the Holy Spirit reveals — sheds light on — His Word, the Bible is a sealed Book, even to the most educated person. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto Him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (I Cor. 2:14). But the treasures of the Word of God are revealed to all who have Jesus, the Light of life, dwelling in them.

The light of His glorious Word continuously glows within and through the believer who prayerfully reads it each day. Although the Candlestick was made with precious gold, it was not intended to draw attention to itself. Its only purpose was to hold the oil so the light could shine forth in the Holy Place. This is a picture of the Christian who has within himself the Holy Spirit, who brings light and understanding of the Living Christ through His Word. Every Christian should desire to be only the container of the Light — Jesus Christ — and direct attention to Him. Ye are the light of the world. . . . Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven (Matt. 5:14,16).

These things saith He that holdeth the seven stars in His right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks (Rev. 2:1).

Thought for Today:

The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple (Ps. 119:130).
Christ Portrayed:

By the kinsman-redeemer (Lev. 25:47-55). Christ is our Savior and Redeemer who made us His kinsmen: Jesus Christ. . . . In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace (Eph. 1:5-7).
Word Studies:

24:3 Testimony, Ark of the Covenant; 24:6 pure table, table of pure gold; 24:8 Covenant, Commitment of Israel to be loyal to the Lord; 24:11 blasphemed, cursed; 24:15 bear his sin,  be held responsible; 25:10 hallow, set apart, sanctify; 25:14 oppress, cheat, take advantage; 25:35 be waxen poor, cannot support himself; 25:36 usury, interest on loans; 25:37 victuals, food, supplies; 25:43 rigour, ruthless severity, oppression; 25:45 begat, fathered.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Duane Estey • Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. Walter Jones, Jr. (NC) • Country: Sao Tome and Principe (155,000) two larger and several smaller islands in the Gulf of Guinea, 125 miles off the western coast of Africa • Major language: Portuguese • Religious freedom is fairly new • 83% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant; 2% animist • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for safety in your travels (Rom. 1:10).
Optional Reading: Mark 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Leviticus 26 – 27

Highlights:

Talk about the benefits of walking on the "straight and narrow" — the blessings of God are marvelous and awesome. Then in contrast we read the horrific results of disobedience. Discover where the fear of the Lord comes in and the three things that are absolutely the Lord's.
But if ye will not hearken unto Me, and will not do all these Commandments. . . . I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass (Lev. 26:14,19).

Jehovah's great love to Israel was revealed when He said: I will walk among you (26:12). He promised great blessings of abundant prosperity, victory over every enemy, and peace in their land: If ye . . . keep My Commandments (26:3).

His presence would mean both personal and national peace (Shalom — Hebrew word meaning peace). But it was also foretold that God would withdraw His blessings if they continued to be disobedient, and the end result would be: Ye shall perish among the heathen, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up (26:38). Israel's history is proof of their rejection of His commands and persistent rebellion against His will. The unbelief of the first generations after they left Egypt prevented them from possessing the promised land. The second generation followed Joshua into Canaan but continued to break their covenant relationship, and every blessing was changed into a curse.

If a man sows wheat, he does not reap barley. He reaps that which he sows. Sin and rebellion always produce destruction (Gal. 6:7-8). Israel learned through bitter suffering that the way of transgressors is hard (Prov. 13:15). This is an unalterable spiritual principle. It would be a perversion of the love of God to imagine otherwise.

And what agreement hath the Temple of God with idols? for ye are the Temple of the Living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate . . . and I will receive you (II Cor. 6:16-17).

Obedience to the will of God is the key to gaining true satisfaction in life. Even Christ learned obedience and became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him (Heb. 5:8-9).

It is of utmost importance that we read His Word every day so the Holy Spirit can guide us in a life of obedience. Blessed are they that hear the Word of God, and keep it (Luke 11:28).

Thought for Today:

I will delight myself in Thy Statutes: I will not forget Thy Word (Ps. 119:16).
Christ Revealed:

As the One who will dwell among us (Lev. 26:11). The Word was made flesh, and dwelt (tabernacled) among us (John 1:14).
Word Studies:

26:13 bondmen, slaves; 26:16 consumption may mean tuberculosis; burning ague, fever; 26:25 avenge the quarrel, execute punishment; 26:30 images, altars for heathen worship; 27:2 a singular vow, a special personal commitment.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Rob Woodall (GA) and Rep. Tammy Baldwin (WI) • Country: Saudi Arabia (20.9 million) on the Arabian Peninsula in southwestern Asia • Major language: Arabic • Christian worship services for foreign personnel are tolerated, but those who seek to convert Muslims to Christianity face persecution • 86% Sunni (Wahabi) Muslim; 10% Shi'ite Muslim; 1% Ismaili Muslim; 3% Others (including 600,000 Christians and some Hindus and Buddhists) • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks for trials because from them we can learn patience (Rom. 5:3).
Optional Reading: Mark 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 1 – 2

Highlights:

After the dramatic and miraculous deliverance of the Israelites and their preservation by the Almighty God, the New Testament reveals why today's two chapters are so important to us. Read how God organized the people in preparation for their inheritance of the promised land. Over 85 times in the Book of Numbers we read these wonderful words: The Lord spake unto Moses (Num. 1:1).
And the Lord spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the Tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt (Num. 1:1).

Nearly a year had elapsed from the time Israel left Egypt to the time God ordered Moses to organize an army and number all that are able to go forth to war in Israel: thou and Aaron shall number them by their armies (1:3).

Only those who were true Israelites could be soldiers. The mixed multitude that left Egypt when the Israelites left were either Egyptians or those who were intermarried with Egyptians. Because they were not true Israelites, they were not qualified to be soldiers. It seems that this mixed multitude were leaders anytime the children of Israel complained (11:4).

God had promised to give the land of Canaan to the children of Israel, but not without many battles. Innumerable enemies had to be conquered before they could enter and possess the promised land. This illustrates the plan of God for His people today. There is a spiritual warfare: No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier (II Tim. 2:4).

Many church members are not good soldier(s) of Jesus Christ (2:3). They are like the mixed multitude — traveling with the true Christians but causing dissent and creating distrust in the promises of God. Although they associate with true Christians, they have never been saved. This point is also emphasized in the Book of Galatians in speaking of the difference between Isaac and Ishmael: The son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman (Gal. 4:19-31).

The first qualification for spiritual service is the new birth — a true conversion whereby we become children of God, equipped by the Holy Spirit to victoriously claim His promises (Eph. 1:12-13).

For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel. . . . That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God (Rom. 9:6,8).

Thought for Today:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever (I Pet. 1:23).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses as he led the people (Num. 1:54). Jesus said: I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep. . . . My sheep hear My voice . . . and they follow Me (John 10:14,27).
Word Studies:

1:2 Take ye the sum, Take the census; by their polls, number each one individually; 1:16 renowned, chosen national representative; 1:17 expressed, designated; 1:18 pedigrees, ancestry; 1:44 princes, leaders; 1:53 charge, responsibility; 2:2 pitch, set up, camp; standard, flag; ensign, tribal emblem or flag; 2:24 rank, group.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Senegal (10 million) in western Africa • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 92% Muslim; 4% animism and ancestor worship; 3% Roman Catholic; .1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Depend upon the Holy Spirit to help you in your prayers (Rom. 8:26-27).
Optional Reading: Mark 15

Memory Verse for the Week: Ephesians 3:18

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 3 – 4

Highlights:

Discover the order of God for the Levites. Observe the detail He requires for transporting the Tabernacle and the holy furniture. See the similar order and detail of God in your life. God expects Christians to be equally holy. Read today's chapters for a clue.
Bring the tribe of Levi near, and present them before Aaron the priest, that they may minister unto him. And they shall keep his charge, and . . . do the service of the Tabernacle. . . . therefore the Levites shall be Mine; Because all the firstborn are Mine . . . both man and beast: Mine shall they be: I am the Lord (Num. 3:6-7,12-13).

The tribe of Levi was chosen by God to be responsible for the Tabernacle and all the nation's worship ceremonies. God did not make His choice on the basis of their spiritual nature, insight, and actions being superior to the other tribes. As a matter of fact, the past conduct of Simeon and Levi was not praise-worthy, as Jacob's prophetic words revealed: For in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall. Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel (Gen. 49:5-7). This is an example of how God uses imperfect people to accomplish His perfect purposes. God in mercy bestows His marvelous grace and blessings to the unworthy.

The Levites performed the sacred duties of the Tabernacle and were responsible for taking it down, transporting it, and erecting it.

Their service was to carry the Tabernacle and its furnishings through the wilderness. A careful study of the Old Testament suggests that the wilderness is symbolic of this world through which we pass, and as Christians, it is our responsibility to manifest Christ on this journey. We must guard the holy things of our faith as faithfully as the Levites guarded the Tabernacle and its contents.

Many of the people of God are conformed to this present evil age, unfit for service, and out of fellowship with God.

God has first claim on our lives. Our priorities change when we recognize the lordship of Christ and realize that everything of eternal value must have its direction from Him.

Let us earnestly desire that our eyes be open to see the blessed privileges we have as Christians — called to be priests unto God.

Unto Him that . . . hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father; to Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever (Rev. 1:5-6).

Thought for Today:

Our Lord . . . Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling . . . according to His own purpose and grace (II Tim. 1:8-9).
Christ Portrayed:

By Aaron, the high priest, who was served by the Levites (Num. 3:6). As a holy and royal priesthood (I Pet. 2:5,9), we serve Christ (John 12:26), our great High Priest (Heb. 4:14).
Word Studies:

3:3 consecrated, installed; 3:4 strange, improper; 3:8 instruments, furnishings; 3:12 matrix, womb; 3:13 hallowed, made holy, set apart; 3:41 firstlings, firstborn; 3:48 odd number, remainder; 4:2 Take the sum of, Take a census; 4:3 the host, the service; 4:6 staves, carrying poles; 4:10 bar, carrying frame; 4:12 instruments, articles, utensils; 4:14 censers, firepans; 4:24 for burdens, to carry when on march; 4:28 hand, supervision; 4:31 charge, assignment.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis; In Memory of Henry Rogers • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Official: Sen. Richard Blumenthal (CT) • Country: Serbia and Montenegro (11 million) on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Religious conflict • 41% Serbian/Montenegrin/Macedonian Orthodox; 33% Catholic; 11% Muslim; 1% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Read the Word of God to build up your faith so that you can pray and ask in faith (Rom. 10:17).
Optional Reading: Mark 16

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 5 – 6

Highlights:

Today we read about the Laws of cleansing, recompense, jealousy; the Nazarite vow; the threefold blessing of the Lord. The Lord bestows a powerful blessing on all who dedicate their lives inwardly and outwardly to Him.
When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord. . . . All the days of his separation he is holy unto the Lord (Num. 6:2-8).

The vow of the Nazarite meant that one separated himself unto Jehovah for a specific period of time — from a month to a lifetime. Among the lifetime Nazarites were Samuel, Samson, and John the Baptist.

The Nazarite had to give up certain self-satisfactions and separate himself from defiling influences of the world, for he was holy unto the Lord. His separation involved three things: (1) his hair was to grow long; no razor was to come upon his head; (2) he could not touch or go near a dead body, not even the body of a dear loved one; (3) he could not drink wine or eat anything that came from the grapevine, such as grapes or raisins. These foods — earthly satisfactions — were harmless in themselves, but they were willingly given up in order to be separated unto the Lord. The one who took the Nazarite vow was neither a legalist nor an extremist; he was simply a person who desired to go beyond the ordinary requirements of worship to give the Lord more of himself.

The Nazarite was one who sacrificed more than his possessions. He was also to be consecrated to God — to serve Him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind (I Chr. 28:9). The outward observances were to be the genuine expression of his heart.

True, there is no longer a biblical group of people known as Nazarites, but should a Christian be less devoted to our Lord? If we value a person's friendship, we will do things that we know are pleasing to him. If we truly love the Lord, we should not allow the cares of this world to come between us and our love for Him. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth (Col. 3:2).

The Christian, like the Nazarite, should go beyond what he thinks is necessary to be just a Christian, and should gladly let go of all he holds dear in order to please the Father. Christians are called to a lifetime of separation from the lust of the flesh (I John 2:16). Christ alone is to be Lord of our lives.

Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me (Matt. 16:24).

Thought for Today:

I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ (Phil. 3:8).
Christ Revealed:

Nazarite is a Hebrew term meaning "dedication by separation" (Num. 6:1-8). Jesus dedicated Himself to do only the will of His Father, even unto death: Thy will be done (Matt. 26:39,42).
Word Studies:

5:2 an issue, a discharge; 5:3 defile, contaminate; 5:7 recompense, repay; 5:8 kinsman, relative; atonement, sacrifice; 5:12 a trespass, adultery; 5:13 close, undetected; taken with the manner, caught in the act; 5:22 into thy bowels, the body; 5:27 a curse, an outcast; 6:12 consecrate, rededicate; 6:14 blemish, defect; 6:15 unleavened, yeast free; 6:19 sodden, boiled, roasted; 6:20 wave, gesture of offering.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: In memory of Doris Hoffman • Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Official: Rep. Richard Neal (MA) • Country: Seychelles (79,000) a group of islands in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and India • Major languages: English and French • Religious freedom • 89% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that faith is a vital tool in your prayer life to ensure your prayers are answered (Rom. 12:3).
Optional Reading: Luke 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 7

Highlights:

Picture in your mind the awesome, overwhelming, massive array of animals, tribal leaders, and offerings. Where were they all heading? Why were they bringing these huge offerings? Don't miss reading this chapter.
And the Lord said unto Moses, They shall offer their offering, each prince on his day, for the dedicating of the Altar (Num. 7:11).

The princes of the tribes had already brought large, sacrificial gifts for the construction of the Tabernacle (Ex. 35:27-28). And again they willingly brought huge offerings to help meet the needs of the Levites. They gave wagons and oxen to the Levites who were responsible for transporting the Tabernacle and all its furnishings. This made their work easier.

The princes (leaders) of the tribes could not participate in the duties of the Tabernacle, but through their offerings, they were able to assist the Levites in their sacred responsibilities. Since they could not hold positions of prominence, as did the Levites, they could have shown contempt or a jealous spirit and given little or nothing to them.

Since the procedures for the offerings were exactly the same, it may seem monotonous to read all the details which were given for each offering. But the repetition of these offerings reveals the significance God places on every sacrifice given to support His ministry. Individual gifts and offerings may not seem important to man, but they are to God! He prizes each separate gift because it expresses the offerer's love for Him. He records every act of service — every cup of cold water given in His Name.

As a Christian faithfully gives to the Lord's work, both his desire to give and his ability to give are increased. He experiences the joy of giving, and his faith increasingly grows as he responds to the Truth of the Word of God.

The gift that will please the Lord most is our personal commitment to love Him above all else. And the blessing of the Lord is upon those who give unselfishly — even to the undeserving and unworthy.

The crucifixion of Christ was the greatest of all sacrifices. It was by his unselfish love that we have been redeemed. And it is His love that prompts us to give true, freewill offerings.

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (Luke 6:38).

Thought for Today:

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver (II Cor. 9:7).
Christ Revealed:

Through the voluntary offerings of the leaders which were sufficient to meet the needs (Num. 7). Jesus gave His life to meet our every need. My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

7:13 charger, large dish; meat, grain, meal, cereal.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Sierra Leone (5 million) in western Africa • Major language: English • Increasing restrictions on Christian work in some areas • 50% belief in river spirits, medicine men, and witchcraft; 39% Muslim; 7% Protestant; 2% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: During times of trouble, pray constantly and ask for patience (Rom. 12:12).
Optional Reading: Luke 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 8 – 9

Highlights:

The Lord reminds us of how much time has passed since the Exodus (Num. 9:1). Once again the nation celebrated the Passover. It was of vital importance that they remember why they were freed from slavery. Once again divine protection was evident in the cloud by day and the awesome pillar of fire by night. What a mighty God we serve!
In the first month of the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt. . . . they kept the Passover . . . according to all that the Lord commanded Moses (Num. 9:1,5). The Passover Feast was a memorial of that great historic deliverance from many years of slavery in Egypt (Ex. 12:41-42).

The first Passover was held in Egypt, where Israel's only hope of deliverance was the blood applied to the doorposts outside the house. Inside the house, the lamb was eaten by the undeserving Israelites who believed the Word of God when He said: When I see the blood, I will pass over you (12:13). Yes, the blood satisfied God and protected Israel from the death angel, while the eating of the Passover lamb satisfied and strengthened the family for their wilderness journey.

The second Passover was observed in the wilderness at Mount Sinai as they looked ahead to the land of promise.

The third Passover feast was celebrated in the land of promise. This shows how essential the blood was in their redemption from start to finish. The man that . . . forbeareth (fails) to keep the Passover, even the same soul shall be cut off from among his people: because he brought not the offering of the Lord in His appointed season (Num. 9:13).

The Passover was not only a remembrance of how they were delivered, but it was also a witness to the spiritual unity of the tribes. It was not an individual matter to be done at one's convenience, but a community participation.

The Passover is symbolic of the precious blood of Christ, the Lamb of God who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself (Heb. 9:14). Every Christian looks back to the cross where Christ died to set him free from the power of sin. As we look forward to His soon coming, we have the assurance that His Word will sustain us while we are on the way through this our own wilderness journey.

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation (9:28).

I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last (Rev. 22:13).

Thought for Today:

Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us (I Cor. 5:7).
Christ Revealed:

The Passover (Num. 9:2) serves as a beautiful illustration of the redemption Christ accomplished at Calvary as the Lamb of God (John 1:29; I Cor. 5:7).
Word Studies:

8:2 over against, in front of; 8:4 beaten, hammered; 8:14 Mine, for the special purpose of God; 8:18 for, instead of; 9:7 kept back, prohibited from; 9:8 Stand still, Wait; 9:10 posterity, descendants; 9:11 unleavened bread, bread without yeast, a symbol of Christ as the sinless offering; 9:12 ordinances, biblical laws; 9:13 forbeareth, neglects, fails; cut off, excommunicated; season, time; 9:14 sojourn, live temporarily; 9:15 reared, erected; 9:17 abode, remained; 9:18 pitched, camped; 9:19 charge, order.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts: Sponsored by Jeanne Young • Staff: Benjamin Wallace • Country: Singapore (4 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Chinese and Malay • Religious freedom • 54% Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese Traditional Religion; 15% Muslim; 9% Protestant; 4% Catholic; 3% Hindu; .5% Sikh; .2% Baha'i; 14.3% None/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray fervently with others (Rom. 15:30).
Optional Reading: Luke 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 10 – 11

Highlights:

Canaan is in sight! Hallelujah! Onward to victory! At this precious moment, all Israel had to do was trust God and move forward in conquest of Canaan. But what does it say? — They buried the people that lusted (Num. 11:34).
But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes (Num. 11:6).

The people of Israel were to reach the promised land in less than two years. They only needed to endure the hardships for a little while longer and to praise God that they would soon possess the land which He had promised to them. But they refused to accept the wilderness trials and difficulties as the plan of God to increase their faith and prepare them for His presence and the power to fully possess the promised land. Moses later said: He humbled thee . . . and fed thee with manna . . . that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live (Deut. 8:3; Matt. 4:4). Instead of recognizing and accepting this fact, they repeatedly complained and hardened their hearts until finally at Kadesh-barnea (within 50 miles of the promised land), they said: Let us return into Egypt (Num. 14:4).

One of their complaints was their dissatisfaction with the manna. God had provided manna for the Israelites to eat during their journeys, but they complained that the manna was nothing at all compared to all the tasty food they enjoyed in Egypt.

Manna was to the Israelites what Christ and His Word are to the world today — the food that God provided for His people. But how often that food is rejected and Egypt's dainties — the pleasures of the world — are chosen instead of the Word of God!

Because of their dissatisfaction with the manna, the Israelites asked for meat. When God answered their prayer and gave them meat, it was His permissive will rather than His perfect will. We see the results of their self-pleasure: He gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul (Ps. 106:15).

We are so prone to complain when our circumstances displease us, but the continually dissatisfied Christian never discovers how vast are the exceeding great and precious promises of God (II Pet. 1:4).

We are told: Do all things without murmurings and disputings (Phil. 2:14). When we do, we realize that the key to godliness is contentment — regardless of our circumstances. But godliness with contentment is great gain (I Tim. 6:6).

Thought for Today:

I am the Living Bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh (John 6:51).
Christ Revealed:

The two trumpets were made of silver (Num. 10:2). Silver in the Bible stands for truth. Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life (John 14:6).
Word Studies:

10:10 solemn days, appointed festivals; 10:14 standard, banner; 10:21 against they came, in anticipation of their arrival; 10:25 rereward, rear guard; 11:4 fell a lusting, had greedy desires; 11:6 is dried away, is dissatisfied; 11:10 was kindled greatly, exceedingly angry; 11:11 burden, responsibility; 11:13 flesh, meat; 11:15 out of hand, at once; 11:18 Sanctify, Consecrate to God; 11:20 loathsome, offensive, detestable; 11:22 suffice, be enough; 11:30 gat, returned.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Mary Kay Wagner • Government Officials: Rep. Jim Jordan (OH) and Rep. Randy Forbes (VA) • Country: Slovakia (5 million) central Europe • Major languages: Slovak and Hungarian • Religious freedom • 60% Roman Catholic; 8% Protestant; 4% Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Be of one heart and mind with other Christians (I Cor. 1:10).
Optional Reading: Luke 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Numbers 12 – 13

Highlights:

A valuable lesson in today's reading makes known the frightening dangers of disbelief so that the Lord is prevented from providing our needs.
We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey. . . . We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we (Num. 13:27,31).

The twelve heads of the children of Israel (13:3) were selected to spy out the land (13:17) and the tribe of Reuben led the way. So they went up, and searched the land. . . . and came unto Hebron (13:21-22). It was at Hebron that Abraham had built an altar unto God. The spies had stood where Abraham stood when God promised him the land of Canaan (Gen. 13:18). But neither of these thrilling events was included in their report. They could see only the high walls and the giants.

Although it was not the "perfect" will of God, He knew their unbelief and spake unto Moses, saying, Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan (Num. 13:1-2).

Moses spoke in faith when he said: Behold, the Lord thy God hath set the land before thee: go up and possess it . . . fear not, neither be discouraged. But the people refused and said: We will send men before us, and they shall search us out the land, and bring us word again by what way we must go up (Deut. 1:21-22). They wanted to see what lay ahead before they acted upon the Word of God. To depend on our own logic and physical senses before we commit ourselves to the Lord's work is a denial of our faith in Him.

After the land was spied out, Joshua and Caleb spoke in faith when they said: The Lord is with us: fear them not (Num. 14:9). But again the people refused!

Many become frightened at the giants of difficulties, but no one can prevent the will of God from being accomplished in the weakest Christian who will trust in His strength (Phil. 4:13). Unbelief in the sufficiency of God keeps Him from fulfilling His abundant promises.

As Christians, we must recognize that spiritual victories are never obtained without a battle, and one must trust God to perform what He has promised.

But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6).

Thought for Today:

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might (Eph. 6:10).
Christ Portrayed:

By Moses, who was very meek (humble), above all the men which were upon the face of the earth (Num. 12:3). Jesus said: I am meek (gentle, mild) and lowly in heart (Matt. 11:29).
Word Studies:

12:3 meek, humble, gentle; 12:8 apparently, clearly; in dark speeches, difficult to understand; similitude, likeness; 12:13 beseech, beg; 13:16 spy out, view; 13:20 fat or lean, fertile or barren; 13:23 brook, valley; 13:30 possess, conquer; 13:32 eateth up, destroys.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Steve Womack (AR), Rep. Brett Guthrie (KY), Rep. Eliot Engel (NY), and Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (NY) • Country: Slovenia (2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian • Freedom of religion • 81% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you discernment in all decisions (I Cor. 2:12-14).
Optional Reading: Luke 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk