Purple Martins

Started by Dee Gee, March 29, 2009, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I thought I saw an orange flash, I did, I saw an orange flash going past my window.  Right now there is an oriole on my orange honeysuckle.

Yesterday there was a pileated woodpecker working on the old stump just outside my living room window.  He worked there for about 10 minutes until he saw me move a little bit. 

Diane Amberg

Wilma

This bird was outside my window the other day for about 10 minutes.  Woody the Woodpecker.

sixdogsmom

Isn't he neat? Gloria Jones-Wolf did a birding program for M&L a couple of years back. She said that the Pilated Woodpecker was one reason she moved to Elk Falls. She saw one while visiting there and uprooted her home in Wichita to spend all her spare time birding. How neat, not often people follow their hearts' desire these days.
Edie

Diane Amberg

There must be some good bugs in that stump.

Wilma

The stump was a big tree until 6 years ago.

Clubine Ranch

I don't know a lot about the birds but this Woodpecker or one very similiar spent a great deal of time on our electric pole the other day and brought much joy and beauty. Must have been a lot of bugs or whatever on the surface as it did not appear or sounds like the bird was pecking. We do have a lot of neat birds to watch and enjoy. This year they seem a lot louder or maybe they are bringing in more friends or just happier birds! :)

Diane Amberg

I heard the flute notes of a wood thrush a little while ago.

Wilma

I had to feel sorry for my robins this morning.  Two of them have nested in the crotch of a tree not ten feet from my back porch.  There is no foliage to hide them.  She was on the nest, hunched down and looked very cold.  He was on the limb close to her, kind of hunched down, too, and looked cold.  Maybe we will get some sunshine soon and warm them up a bit.  I am looking forward to seeing little mouths sticking up to be fed.

The orioles are back, but has anyone seen a brown thrush yet?   I usually have a pair around.

Jo McDonald

Yesterday i enjoyed the antics of a beautiful Baltimore Oriole, 2 hummingbirds, four big fat robins, and a brilliant blue jay, and a frisky squirrel.

How we love the birds and all wildlife.  Last year and the year before at the Elk City State Park we watched deer , wild turkey,many many hummers, squirrels and opossums,  a coyote and all the water birds just outside our windows.

Life is Good!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk