What Are You Reading?

Started by sixdogsmom, March 27, 2009, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

This is a great day to curl up with various and assorted pets and a good book. I plan to do that when the kitchen is cleaned up some. I am currently reading a great book of Anderson fairy tales that was translated in 1950. Some of these stories I had never heard of before now. Some of them I can see why, lol! But it is a great book, part of a publishers' trilogy I found at the thrift shop. The other two books are classics, Black Beauty, (I plan to reread that as I haven't read it since I was a girl). I am also nearly finished with the last of C.S. Lewis' space trilogy, these were good reads, I liked the first and third better than the second though. I recently finished Asimovs' Martian Chronicles (again). I love that book, it really gets my attention. And I am really enjoying Memoirs Of William Jennings Bryan, I expected that it would be boring, but it is still relative to the present despite of the 1925 publication date. So, I better get in the kitchen so I can enjoy one of these before we lose power, it may happen with ice caked on the trees and power lines.  ;)
Edie

Rudy Taylor

I love to read such books as the one you describe on William Jennings Bryan. There was a well-known public speaker, Dr. Kenneth McFarland, who came from my hometown of Caney and in many of his speeches he told about the day when William Jennings Bryan came to Caney in 1912.

Bryan, in addition to be secretary of state and a statesman of high repute, was also a chautauqua performer. Dr. McFarland was only eight years old when he stood near the railroad platform and heard Bryan deliver his "Cross of Gold" speech which he repeated hundreds of times across the country.

Wouldn't that have been wonderful to experience such times! I can only imagine the excitement that Bryan must have generated. This I know: He inspired the young boy to become a nationally known speaker, working for General Motors most of his career. His job? Just go out and uplift America!

Now there's a job that someone needs to perform today.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

S-S

Since afternoon preschool was cancelled, Lane decided we should spread a blanket out on the floor and read various books. We are reading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White for the millionth time. We read a few chapters each night. Today we've read quite a bit and baby Eli seems to enjoy it - when he is actually awake. Charlotte's Web always makes me cry.

sixdogsmom

That is just great to be reading to the young ones! You might be surprised how much the baby understands; maybe not just the words but the sharing and learning is all important. Very often in the evenings, my folks would read aloud from the Bible or Book Of Mormon while the rest of the family shelled nuts or sorted a keg of scrap screws/nails/findings. Great family times, the best!
Edie

Catwoman

I'm reading the thermometer...and crying sleet.

Wilma

I got some new books the other day and so far have read two of them.  I started the third one this evening.  All mysteries.  Keeps my mind off the ice that is piling up on the trees.

greatguns

Nadine

"The Shack"  many will never view God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit every the same again.  Get past the first 1/2 of the book and the rest will change your life.

Clubine Ranch

Nadine, so glad you said you struggled with the first part as it was a big struggle for me. But as you say once you got past that part you really do stop and think about what they are saying. Glad I read it. Sorry to read about the lights stolen from your mothers grave on another thread. That is aweful beyond words. Barbara

Nadine

Actually it was only the first 1/4th (don't want to discourage anyone).  If I could I would buy everyone a copy.  I read it so fast the firsttime that I had to go back, skipped the first 1/4 (you do know to need the first 1/4th to understand the rest) and would read as much as I could only at lunchtime though.  Made myself really think about what I was reading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk