Kansans to vote on right to own guns

Started by frawin, March 26, 2009, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

My question is why are folks waiting for their voice to be heard?  Or for somone to give them something to do?  If we don't talk about it then how will we know who we can depend on?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Who needs to talk about it?  And who can you really depend on besides yourself?  You do what you think is right and I will do what I think is right.  I know what is right.  It has been right all my life and nothing that anyone has to say is going to change the way I think.  I have had most of 79 years to think about it.  How much more do I need to know?  I have had enough of raves and rants and gibberish that get so boring that I skip it.  A few short facts come across much more effectively than a lot of words that in the long run don't mean anything.

frawin

Teresa, point well made and well taken, thanks.

greatguns

Sometimes it is better to keep your eyes and mind open and your mouth shut.

Varmit

Wilma, I appreciate how you feel.  But without talking to each other, without communicating, how can the older generation pass on the morals and values that are in line with the same principals the country was founded on?  I thought that folks depending on one another was a part of small town life, part of its attraction and reason for folks living there?  Isn't that what neighbors do, help each other when they need it?  Aren't we supposed to reach outside of our comfort zone to others?  Espcially this time of year?  

In 79 years I'm sure you have seen quite a bit, both right and wrong, why not share the knowledge you have with others, not just your peers who have seen the same things, but with the younger folks who don't know any better?  I'm not trying to rant here, but am just curious?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

kate31701

Quote from: greatguns on April 05, 2009, 01:58:48 PM
Sometimes it is better to keep your eyes and mind open and your mouth shut.

And sometimes it is better to follow your own advice.

pam

Quote from: Varmit on April 05, 2009, 02:10:24 PM
Wilma, I appreciate how you feel.  But without talking to each other, without communicating, how can the older generation pass on the morals and values that are in line with the same principals the country was founded on?  I thought that folks depending on one another was a part of small town life, part of its attraction and reason for folks living there?  Isn't that what neighbors do, help each other when they need it?  Aren't we supposed to reach outside of our comfort zone to others?  Espcially this time of year?  

In 79 years I'm sure you have seen quite a bit, both right and wrong, why not share the knowledge you have with others, not just your peers who have seen the same things, but with the younger folks who don't know any better?  I'm not trying to rant here, but am just curious?

I'm pretty sure Wilma is like the Elders of all families, She DOES share her wisdom with the young people she knows.

As for knowing who you can depend on, people can always tell if they can depend on somebody and for what. You just know. Without them telling you.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Varmit

Wilma stated that there was no need to talk about it, and that you couldn't depend on anyone but yourself.  These were the main points of her post that I was addressing. 

If you don't know who your neighbors are, what their core principals and values are, then you don't know what they stand for, or who they really are.  Maybe it is different where you live, but in the 15 years or so that I have lived in this town I know of maybe 4 people that I could call on.  Not once has my family been invited to attend a church service.  Not once have I seen the community come together (other then Octoberfest, or a support your local firemen deal) just to socialize for fellowship.  Not once have I seen an act by this town to say "yes, we care about our town and each other."  And that is what I am getting at.

pam

Well you have four people you can count on, be thankful for that. If you want to go to church why don't you just go to church? Why do you need an invitation? There is probly more socializing for the reasons you state goin on than you know.
  Where I live isn't even actually a town it's a corner with a general store a cafe and a feed store but people are always havin music get-togethers, there is a community center out in the middle of nowhere where people get together once a month and play cards and games and visit and have a pot-luck. There is always some kind of jar for somebody who has some kind of problem or a kid tryin to go on a learning thing their parents don't have the funds for setting on the counter at the store. i've only lived here for bout 6 years but I know more than a few people I could ask for help if I needed to. I haven't lived up there for awhile but people were always ready to help sombody if they needed it. When my Dad was sick we found out he had a lot more friends than he thought he did. People don't talk a lot they just do when need be.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Catwoman

Quote from: Varmit on April 05, 2009, 03:26:25 PM
Wilma stated that there was no need to talk about it, and that you couldn't depend on anyone but yourself.  These were the main points of her post that I was addressing. 

If you don't know who your neighbors are, what their core principals and values are, then you don't know what they stand for, or who they really are.  Maybe it is different where you live, but in the 15 years or so that I have lived in this town I know of maybe 4 people that I could call on.  Not once has my family been invited to attend a church service.  Not once have I seen the community come together (other then Octoberfest, or a support your local firemen deal) just to socialize for fellowship.  Not once have I seen an act by this town to say "yes, we care about our town and each other."  And that is what I am getting at.
I understand where you're coming from...It's hard to move into a new community and break into the ranks of the already established people...Been there, done that, barely survived it at the time (at first).  However, I can tell you from personal experience (of having lived in Elk County) that there are plenty of times when people get together for no better reason than that they like each other.  There have been invitations put out on this forum for all of the ecumenical activities that happen on either a yearly or monthly basis with the churches.  I know that Moline usually will hold a Rocky Mountain Oyster feed (YEEEEG...Not my personal choice of food...) at least once or twice a year.  Usually, there is a Farm Bureau feed in Howard that will occur, if you're a member of that organization.  Usually, there's something happening somewhere in Elk County that involves food...It's one of the favorite activities of all of the people who live there (other than posting on the forum, of course!).  Go to the Moline Crazy Days auction that is held yearly...There's lots of fun to be had, lots of local talent to admire and lots of FOOD...Uh, did I mention Elk County likes its food? And, there's the carnival that occurs out at the Howard fair grounds.  As far as getting invited to attend a particular church, bear in mind that most mainline churches there don't make it a point to irritate the population with door-to-door salesman techniques.  I had plenty of friends in all of the churches...All of those churches were extremely good to me in my time of need...All you have to do is open yourself up to the fun of checking them out.  Take a church tour and pick one out that fits you and your family's needs...Or practice your God-given and US-enforced right to attend none of them.

I'm not trying to pick on you, Varmit...You've spent a long time there (almost as long I lived there)...I guess I'm just trying to point out the good points of a place that, once you leave it, remains there as a reminder of all that could be, should be and is good.  Smile, guy...And start going out amongst the masses...You might be surprised at what you haven't seen before.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk