I need to get rid of some moles, any ideas?

Started by Joanna, March 06, 2009, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Castor beans are supposed to be good mole repellent but I only know what I've read. The plants and seeds, while pretty, are very toxic. I'd be afraid to use them because of that.

W. Gray

During the great Grasshopper Plague of 1874—people were eaten out of house, home, clothing, and crops in Howard County, Kansas (and most elsewhere in the state). The castor bean crop was the only farm produce not touched in Howard County by the rampaging pests.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

My dad has THE most old-fashioned mole trap you could ever imagine.  It works, though.  It's kind of like a mouse-trap with a long handle.  I guess you dig down into the mole-run and place this trap.  The handle sticks out the top (Dad ties a red piece of fabric on it so he can see it).  But I would agree about the grubs, too.  I need to figure out when is the best time to treat for grubs.  I think it's getting close to the time I need to spray my cedar trees to prevent the bag worms from hatching? 

Roma Jean Turner

I have a neighbor who swears by putting a stick of Juicy Fruit gum down each mole hole.  It is certainly cheap enough to try.  I've never used it as the moles rarely show up anymore since I have three dogs.  Of course, my yard is looks like three dogs live there.

lola330

I have been told to put those little whirly pinwheels on sticks into the ground because evidently the moles do not like the vibrations.  I've seen some really big ones at garden centers.  (whirly things, not moles)

Diane Amberg

Tobina, we always treated for grubs in late summer/early fall, not spring. Perhaps someone else can advise you better on that. Some years we are just overrun with Japanese Beetles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk