State Sovereignty or Secession

Started by redcliffsw, February 24, 2009, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

redcliffsw

Is Secession 'Anti-American'?

In response to Texas Gov. Rick Perry's defense of states' rights, State Rep. Jim Dunnam (D-Waco) says secession is anti-American. He even threw in a gratuitous race card to try to vilify the governor.

It should go without saying that the United States of America began with a series of thirteen secessions. The founding document of the American union is itself a collective "declaration of independence" that affirms unilateral secession to be part of our inalienable right of liberty. The U.S. Constitution (to which Rep. Dunnam has pledged an oath) affirms that the federal government's authority is both "enumerated" and "delegated," while the powers of the states are "reserved."

In other words, according to the Constitution, the states are the boss of the union, not the other way around. This is why leaders of the Texas state legislature, backed eloquently by Gov. Rick Perry, are reminding the bloated federal apparatus of its proper place as servant of the states. And Texas is not alone.

Furthermore, the United States has supported many secessions around the world.

Rest of the story:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/beane7.html

Varmit

Imagine that a Demorat saying that the most American of ideas is anti american. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Of course it's up to Texas what they want to do, but don't rumblings of secession weaken our position in the world? Won't that potentially attract a terrorist element looking for "friends"?

Varmit

Yes and no.  they could see it as a sign of weakness, that the gov't is losing its control.  Or they might see it as a warning, that the american people willing to stand up and fight, somehting that most terrorists don't want.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Wouldn't that be the American people fighting each other?  That would be seen as a sign of weakness.  That would be my biggest concern.

Suppose Texas did secede.  Wouldn't most of the illegal immigrant problem be theirs?  Are they big enough and have the facilities to handle it?

I'm done.  I have had to correct almost everything I have typed this morning.   My fingers have a mind of their own this morning.

Varmit

I think the Texans could handle it fine if they were not held back by federal gov't. 

Wilma

Varmit

Well, actually I know they could. 

Wilma

They why aren't they taking care of the situation instead of the federal government?   

Darn, more mistakes.  Sure couldn't pass a typing test now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk