Dancing with the Stars, Season 8!

Started by Tobina+1, February 11, 2009, 04:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

OK, I'm getting excited for the next season of Dancing with the Stars!  A crazy list of stars this year, including a star couple competing against each other, a star and a dancer who are dating, and a dancer couple who just got engaged who will be competing against each other!

List of stars:
BELINDA CARLISLE (Go-Go's singer)
DAVID ALAN GRIER (TV and film star- "In Living Color")
JEWEL (Pop and Country singer; married to Ty Murray)
TY MURRAY (Rodeo athlete; married to Jewel)
SHAWN JOHNSON (Olympic gymnast; youngest competitor on DWTS)
LIL' KIM (Rap singer)
GILLES MARINI (TV star and model- "Sex In the City")
STEVE-O (Stephen Glover - Movie producer/Writer- "Jackass")
NANCY O'DELL (TV anchor- "Access Hollywood")
DENISE RICHARDS (TV, movie, and didn't she used to do workout videos?)
LAWRENCE TAYLOR (NFL player - New York Giants)
CHUCK WICKS (Country singer; is dating Julianne Hough and will be her partner)
STEVE WOZNIAK  ("Silicone valley icon"; Apple computers)

Monday, March 9, 8-10 pm ET (which means 9-11 pm CT?)

Mom70x7

I have liked it in the past and will watch (or tape and watch) Monday.

After that, I'll probably post my top favorites. Anyone else?

Wilma

I usually watch because of at least one of the celebrities, but this time, I don't know any of them.  It will be interesting, though.

Warph

HOLLYWOOD - ABC Greenlights "Shadow Dancing With The Stars." Based on the enormous and somewhat goofy success of Dancing With The Stars, ABC announced today that it would be rolling out a spin-off show this summer. Titled "Shadow Dancing With The Stars," the show will feature competitive ballroom dance professionals dancing with the ghosts of dead celebrities.

"This show will do for television what imitation butter flavoring did for microwave popcorn," said ABC Program Director Cliff Peterson. "And by that, I mean it's going to make something that's already pretty good a little bit better!"

The show is the brain-child of "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell, who had recently lamented publicly that he was not the one to come up with the concept of the original Dancing show. Peterson said Cowell has more than made up for that with this latest bit of genius.

"The concept of the show is so unique, I can't believe no one thought of it before," said Peterson. "I mean, who wouldn't want to see the ghost of Princess Diana dancing the fox-trot, John F. Kennedy's ghost waltzing, or Diff'rent Strokes star Dana Plato's ghost doing The Electric Slide?"

Asked how the audience would actually see the dead celebrities, as most ghosts are, in fact, invisible, Peterson said the beauty of the show is that they can't.

"See, we just tell them which celebrity it is that we've channeled from the other side," said Peterson, "but all they'll see on TV is the dance professional, going through the moves alone.

"Then it's up to each viewer to fill in the vision of the ghost of the celebrity," added Peterson. "That way you've got the choice: do I want to envision Fat Elvis or Skinny Elvis, that sort of thing. It's brilliant!"

The ghost of Andy Gibb, pop star and brother to the Bee Gees who passed away in 1988, is set to host the show and provide its theme song. Celebrity ghosts scheduled for Season 1 appearances include Marlon Brando, Teddy Roosevelt, and Britney Spears' career
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Tobina+1

OK, that is silly, Warph.  I won't be watching that one.

Wilma; didn't you watch the olymics this summer?  Shawn Johnson was one of the women's gymnasts; she was the REALLY short one.  I'm curious as to which pro she'll be matched with; probably will have to be short!

At one time, we'd heard that Julianne was retiring so she could focus on her country music career.  I wonder if she convinced Jewel, Ty, and Chuck Wicks to be stars this season if she went back?  Also, glad they're bringing back the kid dancers; very cute!  I like the yougest ones the best.

I'm surprised, though, only 1 sports athlete this season (well, not counting Ty).  We're curious as to how Ty Murray dances...with all his titanium parts!   :-X

Wilma

Of course I remember Shawn Johnson.  I just didn't make the connection.  She should be able to really do good.  She is already professional and trained to compete.  Maybe not professional as to competing for money, but certainly professional in her abilities.

sixdogsmom

I highly suspect that Warphs' show will also have a ghost audience!  ;D ;D
Edie

Tobina+1

Oops, and I made a mistake.  Shawn Johnson and Lawrence Taylor are sports athletes this season.  Typically, they fare very well at least through mid-way through the show.  They have great technique and training focus, normally.  But sometimes once it gets down to showmanship, only about half make it on.

Wilma

Christi Yamaguchi made it all the way through.  She was a natural.

Warph

Hmmmmm..... alright, I admit that "Shadow Dancing... " probably was too extreme and maybe a little silly and SDM was right, all that would be watching would be a ghost audience.  Okay, how about this one.... "Dancing with the Star Wars...." or "Dancing with the Political Stars?   

Or better yet, how about, "Dancing with the Czars!"  yeah.... I can see it now..... Да! Замечательный! Высшего качества! Почему я не думал об этом прежде?  Oops... sorry,  I better keep this in english.

The ABC network has recently unveiled plans for a new show, "Dancing with the Czars," to be aired in October. The show is to be a spin-off of the network's earlier goofy success, "Dancing with the Stars."

"With the popularity of 'Dancing with the Stars,'" said ABC spokesman Alex Roman in a press conference on Tuesday, "it was only a matter of time before we had to make another show.  I mean, who doesn't just love watching people spin around for an hour and a half and fall on their ass?  We just combined the excitement of ballroom dancing with the raw executive power of the Russian czars, and bang!  'Dancing with the Czars' was born!"

The Soviet rock band Gorky Park is suing ABC for copyright infringement as a result of Roman's use of the word "bang," claiming that it is identical to the title of their hit song, "Bang."

ABC has confirmed that the show is going to pair professional ballroom dancers with famous Russian czars in a dancing competition, much like the original series.  A panel of three judges and one crazed peasant will award points based on style, grace and facial hair.  In a fashion also similar to "Dancing with the Stars," viewers at home will be able to call in and vote for their favorite CZAR.  However, ABC has made it clear that the show bears no legal responsibility for the towns and livestock of the viewers, in the event that the czars become angry.

Several of the professional dancers are concerned for their physical health, as well as the well-being of their crops and villages.

"What if I lose?  What if I step on his toes?  I could be executed! I could be sent to Siberia!" said one dancer, who asked to remain anonymous for safety reasons.

The dancers aren't the only ones with concerns.  Some of the czars are less than thrilled at the prospect of dancing with the so-called "common folk."

"The only reason I'm putting up with these peasants is to get the support of my people.  I wouldn't want to be on the business end of a 'Nicholas,' if you know what I mean," said Czar Alexander.  He refused to elaborate on the definition of a "Nicholas."

Tensions are running high in regards to personal performance among the Czars as well.

"I think this is going to be hard for me," said Czar Ivan the Terrible.  "I mean, look at me! They call me Ivan the Terrible!  Do you know what kind of abuse I have to put up with backstage?  How is someone named 'Terrible' expected to do in a dancing competition?"

Russian television station Channel One declined to comment.
[/i]

I think we have a "Winner" here, people.... what say you?
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk