WORKMAN, Ruth Evelyn (Russell) - b. November 11, 1927 - d. December 16, 2008

Started by patyrn, December 17, 2008, 05:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Ruth Evelyn (Russell) Workman was born November 11, 1927 to Harry and Eva Russell in Oak Valley, Kansas.  She grew up in Oak Valley with brothers Noel and Roland Russell and graduated from Longton High School in 1946.

Married in August 1947 to Walter Workman, they lived in Wichita, Kansas and raised three children.  For many years, Ruth was a stay-at-home mother.  Later she was employed by Wichita Public Schools.  She was an avid quilter and enjoyed the activities of her family.  She and her husband, Walter, retired to Independence, Kansas and lived there until Walter's passing in December 2006.  Ruth Evelyn has resided since that time with her youngest son, Robert and his wife Elizabeth of Bentonville, Arkansas.  She passed away December 16, 2008.

She leaves her children:  Robert and Elizabeth Workman of Bentonville, Arkansas, Marsha and David Filbin of Santa Barbara, California, and Joe and Mary Workman of Carthage, Missouri; six grandchildren; and one great grandchild.  The family would like to thank her caregivers, Tammy Alvarado, Ann Bolyard, and Evelyn Leverenz.

Funeral services will be held at 11:30 a.m. Friday, December 19, 2008 at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.  Private interment will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Family suggests contributions to the Circle of Life Hospice,  Springdale, Arkansas and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home, Howard, Kansas  67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Bonnie M.

So, we've lost another good friend, from our "high school days."  Ruth Evelyn was a sweetheart.
Bonnie

Jo McDonald

Gene Workman called my yesterday evening - he had just been notified about Ruth Evelyn.  Yes, Bonnie, she was indeed a real sweetheart.  Her health has been bad for the past several years, and after Walt passed away, her health failed very fast.  I talked to her not very long ago, and had planned to call her again this week, and when Gene called, I was saddened.  There are only 3 Workman's left of that generation -- Gene, Helen and myself.  Jack has three sons - Rick from his marriage to Delores and Jack and Tim from his marriage to Leona.  Walt's two sons Joe and Bob, but, Gene's son Craig is no longer living. Jack Jr.  has two sons, Nathan and Justin, but Tim has never married. 
    So the Workman name is slowly fading. 

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Bonnie and Jo, Ruth must have been a real neat person. Ironically when Myrna called her Mother and told her about Ruth, her Mother said "Ruth was a real Sweetheart".  You 3 are three people that are all good judges of what a sweetheart is so there is no question, Ruth was a "Real Sweetheart".
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk