Caney River Wind Project

Started by L Hendricks, December 09, 2008, 01:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Hendricks

Tradewinds, who is the developer for the wind farm on the western edge of Elk County, spoke to the Elk Co Commissioners again yesterday at our meeting.  We are in the final stages of negotiating our PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) payment.  Right now, we are being offered $4500/megawatts for 20 years with a 2% annual increase.  Payment to be renegotiated after 20 years.  This wind project will be atleast 100 Megawatts and could be as much as 200 megawatts... This PILOT could be as little as $450,000 per year up to $900,000/year without factoring in the annual increase.  The project is expected to begin in Fall of 2009 and so our first payment probably won't be until 2010.  This PILOT is to be paid to the county to be used in whatever manner we see fit... We have the opportunity to do some amazing things for our county with this money.  We had a thread earlier about what we could do with it.  I am still under the impression that we should get as much public input on it and really brainstorm the subject so whatever we do will have long lasting positive change for our county... Stay with us as we grow!

pepelect

How much would they give if they were pushed?  If they were offered something in return like a dedicated school system to training wind workers?

indygal

This is exciting news for Elk County! Please keep us updated.

Rudy Taylor

Just wanted you to know that I have visited with Liz, and with the Trade Winds developer.  We're working on a front page story for Prairie Star on this project but they'd like to wait just a bit longer so all details are worked out.  I told them this could be the most significant development in the recent history of Elk County.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

L Hendricks

10 of Tradewinds' top executives came down and toured the proposed wind site today and met with several landowners and county officials.  They are in the process of selling the energy to the energy companies as we speak.  This project will be a great economic development for Elk County when it happens.  The main barrier right now is selling the energy and the company officials felt it was merely a matter of time and it would happen.  Besides the PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) to the county of between $450,000-900,000 (with a 2% annual increase for 20 years - renewable), construction phase will employ over 100 people, then maintenance phase will employ 6-12 full time people.  Plus the main roads to get to the sites will be improved at Tradewinds' expense.  The construction of the project is expected to start the latter part of 2009 and finish the latter part of 2010.  The county has yet to decide how best to use this money, but it will be used to better all of Elk County.

Tobina+1

Quote from: L Hendricks on February 24, 2009, 11:01:56 PM
Plus the main roads to get to the sites will be improved at Tradewinds' expense. 

I'm still curious as to HOW / WHERE they plan to get these towers up to the hill?!  Will they end up having to make new roads and/or straighten current ones?  If they come from the South, they'll have to straighten the Hwy through Moline... or West of Grenola?  If they come from the East, they'll have to straighten county roads outside of Howard and blow out that steep hill?  If they come from the North or West, they'll have to make all brand new roads!  This will be exciting!

Wilma

You have a point there, but I have seen them make the turn from 400 onto 77 in Augusta when I didn't think they could do it.

srkruzich

You'd be surprised what a good driver can do.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: L Hendricks on December 09, 2008, 01:29:39 PM
Tradewinds, who is the developer for the wind farm on the western edge of Elk County, spoke to the Elk Co Commissioners again yesterday at our meeting.  We are in the final stages of negotiating our PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) payment.  Right now, we are being offered $4500/megawatts for 20 years with a 2% annual increase.  Payment to be renegotiated after 20 years.  This wind project will be atleast 100 Megawatts and could be as much as 200 megawatts... This PILOT could be as little as $450,000 per year up to $900,000/year without factoring in the annual increase.  The project is expected to begin in Fall of 2009 and so our first payment probably won't be until 2010.  This PILOT is to be paid to the county to be used in whatever manner we see fit... We have the opportunity to do some amazing things for our county with this money.  We had a thread earlier about what we could do with it.  I am still under the impression that we should get as much public input on it and really brainstorm the subject so whatever we do will have long lasting positive change for our county... Stay with us as we grow!

Shoot theres the money to get the water lines in for all those folks that paid the money out for a meter.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Roma Jean Turner

:D  What exciting news this is.  I look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk