Kansas Lands Bio-Defense Lab

Started by Tobina+1, December 08, 2008, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

I got this article from Food Systems Insider e-mail, but the link for the full article took me to Pat Roberts' website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - December 3, 2008

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Pat Roberts celebrated the recommendation of Manhattan, Kansas and Kansas State University to be the site of the new National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF) culminating an effort he began in 2005 to bring this exciting scientific and economic development opportunity to Kansas.

The selection was made in the Department of Homeland Security's Final Environmental Impact Statement obtained today. A final record of decision will be issued following a comment period and is expected to follow the recommendation made in the EIS.

"Manhattan, Kansas State University and the State of Kansas have proven that we are the nation's leaders in plant and animal research and industry, and I am proud of the role Kansas will continue to play in agriculture security and innovation. This NBAF will protect and build the state's agriculture economy for decades to come and further expand our national leadership in the biosciences."

The executive summary of the NBAF Final Environmental Impact Statement said, "Based on the numerous strengths that were evident when evaluating against the evaluation criteria, the steering committee found that the Manhattan Campus Site best met the purpose and need to site, construct and operate the NBAF...Finally taking into consideration the 'in-kind' contributions offered by the consortia, the Manhattan Campus Site was among the least expensive to construct and had among the lowest planned operation costs of all the Site Alternatives."

The NBAF will replace the aging Plum Island facility, the federal government's current location for animal disease research.

In February 2007, Senator Roberts addressed a rare joint session of the Kansas House and Senate soliciting their support for the state's bid to bring the proposed federal research lab to Kansas.

Roberts said then, "There is no doubt, securing this facility would be one of, if not the greatest, economic development initiatives in state history. It is a key to the economic future of Kansas. If it happens, future generations of Kansans will have economic opportunities available to them that are currently unimaginable or available only outside the border of Kansas."

Senator Roberts hailed the many positive partnerships created to win the NBAF, including state government, the NBAF Task Force, of which Roberts was the honorary chairman, the Kansas Bioscience Authority, President Jon Wefald of Kansas State University and the City of Manhattan.

"We can really be proud of our teamwork to prove that Kansas is the best home for this laboratory based on the merits. We had a unity of effort from the federal to the local level, across parties, with private partners and community leaders to bring this tremendous opportunity to the people of Kansas."

Senator Roberts' effort to bring the NBAF to Kansas began in 2005 when the Congress approved funding for site selection and preconstruction planning of a new research facility to replace Plum Island. Senator Roberts began working with Kansas State University officials and encouraged the University and the state to make a proposal for locating this facility in Kansas. Since that time, Senator Roberts has worked on bringing the NBAF to Kansas, personally speaking with key Administration officials, hosting them on tours of the Bioscecurity Research Institute, housed in Pat Roberts Hall at Kansas State University, and the proposed sites.

Senator Roberts is a senior member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry and is Honorary Chairman of the Kansas NBAF Task Force.

Tobina+1

Does no one have an opinion on this?  I do, but I'm curious as to what others will say first.

Judy Harder

Tobina,

I am still waiting for more. IF this happens, it will be a huge shot in the arm for all of us.

I think, I am leary about an accident and wonder if NOW Kansas will be a huge threat for
Bio-terrorism..............not that it can't happen without the lab, etc.

It will be a big help to the college...........and with Fort Riley getting a boost in population...........the whole northeast
part of Kansas will have another housing boom.

I just wonder if we as a whole will be easy with it. Here in  Elk County we have a lot of highschool graduates go to K-State. Good job possiblities.

I won't add anymore than this......because I am not smart enough to figure out the odds and the dangers.........
Now, You tell us your views...........and I am sure there are a few here who understand
the situation better than I do.

Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

pam

well hell Tobina, you probly know what I'd say without me sayin it :P LOL

Disease research is both a valuable tool and a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands, these kinds of labs have inherant dangers and value.
Only fools don't realize that, and I am no fool.

Best laid plans of mice and men......................
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

Judy; Yes, it IS a "go".  In fact, on the news the other night, they said that even though the lab is not completely built yet, they will be able to start research right away on certain things.

Like my dad so eloquently put it; it's like starting to make matches in the middle of a dynamite factory.

I agree about the jobs and that it's putting K-State and Kansas on the map, but it really makes me nervous to have such diseases as Foot and Mouth and Anthrax right smack in the middle of cattle-country.  The only worse place they could have chosen would have been Garden City Community College.   :-\

And, um... wasn't there just a tornado a few months ago that ripped right through that EXACT area?  I'm sure they'll have all sorts of safe-guards in place; they'd have to.  Still makes me a bit nervous!   :o

Warph

Dorothy: It really was no miracle...right Toto?  What happened was just this... Tornado!!
[singing] The wind began to switch / The new National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility began to pitch / And suddenly the hinges started to unhitch / Just then the Witch / To satisfy an itch / Went flying on her broomstick, thumbing for a hitch!

Munchkin: And, oh, what happened then was rich!

Munchkins: [singing] The new National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility began to pitch / The building took a slich / It landed on the Wicked Witch in the middle of a ditch / Which was not a happy situation for the Wicked Witch (or Kansas)!

http://www.senatedems.state.ct.us/pr/stillman-080826.html

http://www.rense.com/general67/plum2.htm

http://redheadedwisdom.blogspot.com/2008/05/plum-island.html

http://goddess-of-fire.tripod.com/index-1.html
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

pam

"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a
two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and
other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is
bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites."
                                                      - The Tick
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Catwoman

I'm glad to read that others are nervous about this being basically in our backyard...I think this will be a feather in KS's cap...but I think the ramifications of a bio accident are too great to be ignored.  And, there is basically no realistic way to absolutely guarantee that nothing could happen...all it would take is one bomb and the prevailing winds would take care of the rest.  I hope a study has been conducted to guage what the fall-out ratios would be, given the populations adjacent to the facility, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk