what music do ya like and why?

Started by pam, November 24, 2008, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

Wilmas thread about readin made me think of this one  :) Music is like books, everybody likes what they like! A song can bring back memories you didn't know you forgot lol......I just bought a cd out of the bargain bin called forever soul....I don't even know where I heard these songs at when I was a kid..shoot some of em were recorded before I was born! But I love a lot of em...marvin gaye, percy sledge, the chi-lites, aretha franklin, ray charles,
Then on the other side I totally love Metallica and AC/DC! Guns and Roses, Ozzy.......Black Label Society...3 days grace...KORN... shinedown,seether,metal gets your blood singin..shhhhh, I like Marilyn Manson too but that's a secret  :P......Trace Adkins....George Strait, been listenin to George ever since he started! Sometimes I like classical too.....but the loud stuff not the syrupy stuff like mozart.... wow I'm kinda extreme in my music mood swings ain't I? LOL

How about you?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

sixdogsmom

What do I like? I am a music lover from the get go. Classical is probably my favorite, followed by the hill country music from the civil war era. I like blues, some country and blue grass. I am a fiend for Willie Nelson, he is in a class by himself IMO.  ;) I even can appreciate metal if the sound isn't too loud as I have sensitive ears. Tina Turner is also a favorite. My music is about as eclectic as my reading.  ;D
Edie

Tobina+1

I, too, am a little back-and-forth on my music preferences.  I mostly listen to new country on XM Channel 16, but sometimes when I'm traveling and they've already played all the songs twice, I switch it around.  I like Top 20 songs, but some of the rap doesn't do it for me.  I like Pink's new song, "So What" or "I'm a Rock Star" or whatever it's called.  Very catchy.  When the weight of the world is on my shoulders, I like the Christian station.  A lot of the songs are upbeat and new-age and have good lyrics that help my mood.  When I need to chill out, Enya is my favorite.  I have most of her CD's.  On my MP3 player, you'll find all sorts of odd stuff.  I have a walking playlist that goes from George Strait to Flo Rida.  And I've tried to have it programmed so it goes with the lay of the land.  To get me steppin it up, out the driveway, I play Colbie Caillat "Bubbly".  Then George's "Trubudor" plays, along with alternating rock and country songs through the walk.  The last uphill section, on my last leg home, Flo Rida's "Low" helps me up that hill.  Then, coming in the driveway, chillin out, Jason Mraz funky "I'm Yours" plays.  
I agree about certain songs that take you back and bring up memories.  My favorite country group in college was Blackhawk, and anytime I hear a song of their's, it just takes me back to all those times.  And "The musicbox dancer" takes me back to when I was a little girl, dancing and swirling around listening to that record.  
Good thread, Pam!

S-S

I'm a big country fan, but I'm not crazy about today's country. All the songs sound the same to me and it also sounds too poppy. I love the Judd's. I mostly like country from the 80's and 90's. And of course, classic country - which embarasses my sisters and they HATE going anywhere with me. George Jones, Tammy Wynette, and Don Williams are some of my favorites. I love songs that tell stories. I never understood what Reba's Fancy was about until I was 16 or 17. I honestly thought it was about a girl going to prom. LOL. I love Alan Jackson, he's real country. And whenever I see or hear George Strait, I get butterflies and I just melt.

I also am a huge fan of what they call Red Dirt country. It's kind of an alternative rock country. Channel 12 for you XM subscribers. I feel like I relate a lot better to these songs. I LOVE Shooter Jennings, Waylon's son. He's redone a lot of his dad's songs and I think he's great. Also, Jason Boland & the Stragglers, Wade Bowen, Eli Young Band, Mike McClure Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Lucinda Williams, Chris Knight...I have a bunch of favorites. Chris Knight's - Heart of Stone is definitely my favorite song of all time.

I also like classic rock and alternative rock. AC/DC, Whitesnake, Poison, Def Lep, Molly Hatchet and the harder stuff of Three Days Grace, Crossfade, Shinedown...On the days you see me driving fast, I probably have a lot on my mind and so I'm listening to Three Days Grace. LOL. My favorite rock song is Dreams I'll Never See by Molly Hatchet, it was my step-dad's favorite song and it's so odd that it's one of the songs he played over and over. Whenever I listen to it, I feel closer to him.

I listen to I Can Only Imaging by Mercy Me when I've had a terrible day. It makes me feel so much better. I also love Flies on the Butter by Wynona Judd. It reminds me of my grandma and when I was a little kid. I love how songs take you back to a certain time and make you remember things, whether good or bad. When you think about it, there's a song for every moment in your life. Do you remember "your song" with your husband or other half? Or was there a song playing when you found out something really important? What about graduation? Prom? I love this thread.

flo

my music likes are very varied.  I am a HUGE fan of classic country - anything before 1960, that is.  Of course 50's rock and roll will always be favorites and that includes Elvis in his earlier days.  Then there's the music I love that my girls could never seem to appreciate, that's my Montovani records. That would be called "easy listening" to me, "elevator music" to my girls. lol  I do love easy listening when I'm trying to relax.  Classic country or 50's when I'm cleaning house.  New country, and I hesitate to use the word country, I have to agree.  It all sounds the same, just plunk and scream.  It takes more than being able to "twang" a guitar to make you a country singer.  I do like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings and a favorite, Ricky Van Shelton.  Guess you could just say I like music.  However I feel that heavy metal and hard rock is hard to classify as music.  I had a wonderful music teacher in school that taught us to appreciate "The Nutcracker Suite" and the "Vienna Waltzes" and I do to this day.  Guess music is one place my daughter and I have our differences.  ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

oldmom

I REALLY miss the old southern gospel, such as Andre Crouch, Bill and Gloria Gaither, The Blackwood Brothers and Dottie Rambo.  I just can't get into the contemp. christian.

I also love classic country - Dad always had a radio going in the barn, never changed from KFDI AM, and Mom always had a radio going in the house, I believe mostly for the noise!  We didn't get a TV until I was in 8th grade, so the radio was my friend!

pam

QuoteGuess music is one place my daughter and I have our differences.

yeah mom, I never could quite get into montovani  :-\ but on the other hand....remember the johnny horton and marty robbins, johnny cash etc. we used to hear when we were kids? Well, i used to play some of it for the boys when they were little and Josh came out the other day and was playin johnny horton on his stereo! Stuff I never figured they would remember lol. We all still like johnny cash!

blues rock is my all-time favorite tho I guess....stuff from like Bad Company, allman brothers. Pokin holes in happiness by marilyn manson is one I LOVE to listen to...Rain by candlebox....blue on black, kenny wayne shepard.....shut out the world and crank it up lol

I like Montgomery Gentry too. When I want to chill out from a very stressful day I have some native american music I listen too..drums and singin...helps me meditate.

LOL hell I even like bagpipes! They give me goosebumps..in a good way lol..soul memories maybe ;)
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

sixdogsmom

I had a little classical training when I was small, my mom played the piano beautifully and my sister as well. So appreciation kind of rubbed off on me although I had no talent for the piano. When in the second grade, our teacher played the recordings of Peter And The Wolf over several days as part of our music lessons. I loved that piece and still do. Once while browsing at a flea market I found an old bowl that was made before the times when import markings had to be included. Although Peter And The Wolf was not written until the 20th century, this bowl made me think of it. There is a picture in the bottom of a little boy walking in the woods, and a wolf peeking from around a tree in the far off background. The bowl is damaged so I didn't pay much for it, but I like it just the same. Funny how music influences our lives, enhances it really just like a movie without a score, our lives would certainly be empty without music.
Edie

flo

you know, I play the piano and organ.  I have a tendency to play something slow and quiet if I'm feeling down.  If I'm mad or feeling extremely onery, I can whale the tar out of those keys with a little E.T. or Hank Williams.  If I sit down at the organ, it will most likely be gospel or waltz's, then again it might be an up-tempo like Alley Cat or There is a Tavern in the Town.  Music is good for the soul and mind.  Not everyone has the ability to play, SDM, but everyone has the ability to enjoy.  I play a lot from music and by ear and do enjoy it. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

The chick-a-dee when he lands on the feeder; the wren while he is establishing his territory, the robin's first call in the spring;  the mockingbird during nesting season; even the bluejay has a melodic whistle when he isn't squawking.  Quail not too far away; a mother cow calling her calf;  crickets in the grass;  I could go on all day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk